Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2379059 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #12875 on: November 09, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
John Percy reTweeted

Steven Gerrard is interested in being Aston Villa's next manager, with the ambitious Midlands club set to make an official approach to Rangers

Oh god. Please don’t.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12876 on: November 09, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
I with what Danny Murphy said, can't see Gerrard going to Villa because Villa have a low ceiling.  If he was going to go anywhere this Autumn, Newcastle made more sense in my opinion.

With Gerrard you have to always bare in mind Liverpool, who I think it is fairly safe to say he wants to manage. Villa is a risk to his CV he doesnt need.
I'm afraid in terms of wealth of owners Villa rank higher than Liverpool. Difficult to say how Gerrard views the Liverpool job - is following Klopp going to be a no-win situation ?

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12877 on: November 09, 2021, 09:48:39 PM »
If Gerrard goes to Villa, he might do well short-term, but ultimately he'll fall short of fan expectations and it'll tarnish his repuation.

He's onto a sure thing if he stays at Rangers, keeps them performing, he'll walk in as Klopp's replacement. One bad year at Villa and he won't get a sniff.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12878 on: November 09, 2021, 10:33:00 PM »
If Gerrard goes to Villa, he might do well short-term, but ultimately he'll fall short of fan expectations and it'll tarnish his repuation.

He's onto a sure thing if he stays at Rangers, keeps them performing, he'll walk in as Klopp's replacement. One bad year at Villa and he won't get a sniff.
How do you know that ? Success for him at Villa would be getting them into Europe, anything short of winning the league or Champions league would be failure at Liverpool.
If he stays with Rangers until Klopp leaves, his only job experience when applying for the Liverpool job would just be keeping Rangers doing well in a two horse race, when he could well be up against one or two big names with more impressive credentials.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12879 on: November 10, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
I'm afraid in terms of wealth of owners Villa rank higher than Liverpool. Difficult to say how Gerrard views the Liverpool job - is following Klopp going to be a no-win situation ?

Liverpool and United are the two clubs in this country where wealth of owners is less material though.  They both have commercial revenues that allow them to spend in line with the richer owners of clubs.

Owners like the villa have, won’t keep spending £100m a year from there own pockets just to see those trains keep pushing on ahead. I think the Villa owners will be bored in a couple of years and they’ll be back to trying to run a sustainable club. At which point the fans will want new owners again.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12880 on: November 10, 2021, 02:39:51 PM »
I don't think Gerrard has proved himself as a manager, so Villa are welcome to him. With the relative advantage of the extra resources Rangers have, compared with other Scottish clubs, its no big deal getting into the top 2. 
A bit like Lampard, he his living off his reputation as an England international, but from the 2, I'd prefer Lampard if a vacancy came up here.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12881 on: November 10, 2021, 03:09:51 PM »
Steven Gerrard is set to be announced as the new Aston Villa coach in the next 24-48 hours. (Source: @PreeceObserver)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #12882 on: November 10, 2021, 04:37:11 PM »
Very strange move. He is going to a team struggling, lacking a talisman and the best they can really aim for is Europa League. He has so much to lose like Lampard in regards to being seen as the next big young manager.

Don't win the first couple of games after the break and they will be on his back. Fingers crossed anyway.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12883 on: November 10, 2021, 04:47:04 PM »
All over Twitter from various journos that he is set to be confirmed.

I'm in agreement with Bosh.

This is a bad move for Gerrard personally and i don't think it will end well for Villa either (which is good)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12884 on: November 10, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »
Read a number of comments from Vilers disgruntled by Gerrard's possible appointment online earlier today. And I mean seriously unimpressed by the prospect. Following the latest speculation it's fair to say a good number of lorries are currently in reverse. At this rate they'll have the bed sheets out before the Christmas decorations come down (or possibly before they even go up).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12885 on: November 10, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »
All over Twitter from various journos that he is set to be confirmed.

I'm in agreement with Bosh.

This is a bad move for Gerrard personally and i don't think it will end well for Villa either (which is good)

I agree with you and Bosh. Bad managerial move for Gerrard.

Yes the Vile will have so much more spending clout than the Ger’s, but I fear he may tarnish what so far is a good reputation early on in his managerial career.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12886 on: November 10, 2021, 05:03:45 PM »
Gamble for gerrard but he had to go somewhere eventually hes doing well in a 2 horse race. He had to take a gamble somewhere. Villa are in trouble for me. The gk who had been in exceptional form has tailed off a little. No grealish. New signings havent done a huge amount. Poor full backs and besides konsa they are weak in the centre of defence. A lot is going to fall on danny ings
O Albion we love you

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12887 on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:07 PM »
A lot is going to fall on danny ings

Danny Ings is a great striker don’t get me wrong, too injury prone though.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12888 on: November 10, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »
Strange move for the Vile. Couple of years he’ll be off to Liverpool when Klopp decides he’s had enough! Wonder if Liverpool hierarchy have had a word saying it would be a good job to get some Premier League experience?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12889 on: November 10, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »
Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky completes the deal to buy 27% of West Ham. As first reported by @TheAthleticUK.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12890 on: November 10, 2021, 06:49:37 PM »
It’s a rubbish move from Gerrard - it’s a middle of the road move which does nothing to benefit his hopes of moving to Liverpool. Is he realistically going to get them into the top four or winning trophies?

He could have stayed at Rangers, added some trophies and managed in the champions league next season. That would have been better for his desire to manage Liverpool.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12891 on: November 10, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »
Read a number of comments from Vilers disgruntled by Gerrard's possible appointment online earlier today. And I mean seriously unimpressed by the prospect. Following the latest speculation it's fair to say a good number of lorries are currently in reverse. At this rate they'll have the bed sheets out before the Christmas decorations come down (or possibly before they even go up).
I suppose the deluded happy clappers were expecting a top top manager with Champion leagues  and Premiership titles to his name.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12892 on: November 11, 2021, 10:08:04 AM »
Gerrard confirmed as manager on Vile OS

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12893 on: November 11, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
3m5 year deal and compo paid was 3-4m apparently

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #12894 on: November 11, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »

its a 2.5 year deal isnt it?

Think he could damage his career here

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12895 on: November 11, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »
its a 2.5 year deal isnt it?

Think he could damage his career here

And with the very greatest of respect to the Gerrard family I sincerely hope his career choice affects both parties badly. Very badly even. SOTV  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12896 on: November 11, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
And with the very greatest of respect to the Gerrard family I sincerely hope his career choice affects both parties badly. Very badly even. SOTV  8) .
I second that, can't help think Villa have signed Gerrard the name and not Gerrard the Manager, Rangers have had some dodgy results in a two team league this season and been even worse in Europe, I wish them both all the bad luck in the world  :P
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12897 on: November 11, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »
Gerrard confirmed as manager on Vile OS

While I hate the scum from Witton that is a good appointment. >:(
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12898 on: November 11, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »

Rangers media reporting the compensation was £4.5m.

Not sure whether that is solely for Gerrard or whether that includes his coaching staff in Gary McAllister, Michael Beale and Tom Culshaw.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12899 on: November 11, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
Well I was wrong. Really don’t understand it, but no surprise money talks.