Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2379076 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #9875 on: July 28, 2020, 06:28:38 PM »
Glehardt from Wigan close to signing for Leeds. 18 year old England youth striker who is probably more one for the future.

One of my hopes for the summer break is that we see 1 or 2 signings for the future.
Boing Boing

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9876 on: July 28, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
I think it’s great when clubs like Bournemouth, Wigan, Hull City, Brighton, Swansea etc get promoted. Sets of fans who start supporting their club with little hope of being anything other than championship or league 1 (or league 2 in a fair few of these cases). It gives the fan bases something to enjoy and they get to look back on having seen the best players that will ever play for their clubs.

My only grievance is that with clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth, it is fairly middle class cities who’s fans have money and already have a good standard of life, where as Blackburn, Bolton, Stoke, Sheff Wed and even us come from towns and cities that are much more deprived and falling further and further behind the growing trend of Southern domination.
Speaking as someone from a middle class Southern town, I agree!
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9877 on: July 28, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
Tbf all I knew about Brighton is that it's the gay capital of the UK.

That’s somewhat myopic................They have a pier as well  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9878 on: July 28, 2020, 07:00:26 PM »
Glehardt from Wigan close to signing for Leeds. 18 year old England youth striker who is probably more one for the future.

One of my hopes for the summer break is that we see 1 or 2 signings for the future.
like Cheikh Diaby is?

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9879 on: July 28, 2020, 07:01:58 PM »
I think I understand where you are coming from but ultimately they earnt their place. What about Brighton. I don't normally think of footy when I think of them but they are PL now too.

Should have won the FA Cup in 1983 and Des Lynam is a big fan of them.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9880 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
That’s somewhat myopic................They have a pier as well  ;D

Don't ask me how I know. It was a sore point for me.

Should have won the FA Cup in 1983 and Des Lynam is a big fan of them.

I was in nappies then so I'm stil Brighton blinded.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9881 on: July 29, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned or if it's true but I've seen a post on twitter which says Bournemouth owe £81m in unpaid transfer fees. Maybe worth making an offer for Ramsdale?
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9882 on: July 29, 2020, 09:38:00 PM »
Ashworth and Brighton aren't messing around. Ajax captain and Dutch international Joel Veltman joins Adam Lallana for the new season.

This is what i'm talking about when i say the best run clubs with the best directors of football sign players early and don't wait until the final weeks. Quick, organised, decisive.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9883 on: July 29, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »
Oh, and he cost £900,000 as well.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9884 on: July 29, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »
People will talk about clubs having to wait their turn in the chain which I can see when targets are likely to get CL footy but that doesn't apply to our targets in the main

Identify, approach, offer. Get in and get it done before anyone else gets chance to interfere.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9885 on: July 29, 2020, 10:02:38 PM »
Ashworth and Brighton aren't messing around. Ajax captain and Dutch international Joel Veltman joins Adam Lallana for the new season.

This is what i'm talking about when i say the best run clubs with the best directors of football sign players early and don't wait until the final weeks. Quick, organised, decisive.
Good technical defender, very good with the ball like most Ajax players.But  I don't actually think he's big or physical enough to play centre back.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9886 on: July 29, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
Good technical defender, very good with the ball like most Ajax players.But  I don't actually think he's big or physical enough to play centre back.

Can play right back as well, if it doesn't work at centre back. Brighton have a nunber of good defenders as it is, so they can afford to gamble 900,000 on a versatile, European quality international.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9887 on: July 29, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
People will talk about clubs having to wait their turn in the chain which I can see when targets are likely to get CL footy but that doesn't apply to our targets in the main

Identify, approach, offer. Get in and get it done before anyone else gets chance to interfere.

I totally agree, I think people get hung up on the idea that the only option is to wait around to find out who the big clubs are selling after they have done their business. The problem with that is if you try to compete with the top clubs looking at the same players, you will always finish second best.

Smart transfer strategies include looking at the star players BEFORE they become stars (Brentford), using ahead of curve ideas (like stats, ala Brentford, Liverpool), finding players who are at their lowest point of value with things like release clauses (like Ashworth has always done and once against demonstrated here with the Ajax captain and what Leicester did with Evans) and finally shopping in markets that are proven to adapt well to other divisions and are generally cheaper (Wolves with Portugal, Brentford and formally Newcastle with France).

There isn’t much excuse for hanging around until the final few weeks of the window. The reason for doing that is you aren’t quite good enough - it’s what sets the best apart from the ordinary.
Boing Boing

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9888 on: July 29, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
But how could a town like Bournemouth be represented in the Premier league? There is zero football heritage there. About the only heritage they have is at organising flower shows and croquet tournaments.
Having travelled a bit, I’ve haven’t met many people that recognise our club. We’re only one dodgy decision away from ending up being relegated in favour of a club that’s deemed more worthy of the top table. The not recognised Sheffield goal speaks volumes. It stinks of favouritism.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9889 on: July 30, 2020, 12:44:41 AM »
The Vile deserve nothing other than perpetual relegation until such a point as they reach eternal damnation at the hands of Hades. I wish them nothing beyond contempt and torment. They stayed up because Watford imploded and Hawkeye conveniently turned a blind eye. How very typical, how very Vile.

And they celebrated as if they had won the European Cup ... sad ******* :-[
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:15:54 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9890 on: July 30, 2020, 11:43:01 AM »
Man City have bought Ake from Bournemouth for £40m which I think was the value of Chelsea's buy back clause. It seems the top end of the market is holding would be interested to see some activity that doesn't involve an elite level club who has had some fairly significant fees in the recent past or a fee that hasn't been set from before the pandemic.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9891 on: July 30, 2020, 11:50:57 AM »
Man City have bought Ake from Bournemouth for £40m which I think was the value of Chelsea's buy back clause. It seems the top end of the market is holding would be interested to see some activity that doesn't involve an elite level club who has had some fairly significant fees in the recent past or a fee that hasn't been set from before the pandemic.

The money hasn't vastly reduced in the Premier League. That market should hold it's pre Covid-19 value.

The bargains will come from lower leagues (where previously you've paid way over the odds) and abroad imo.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9892 on: July 30, 2020, 12:13:56 PM »
The money hasn't vastly reduced in the Premier League. That market should hold it's pre Covid-19 value.

The bargains will come from lower leagues (where previously you've paid way over the odds) and abroad imo.

I don't think it's all of the Premier League both Liverpool and Man United have been hinting that they will at be flirting with Prudence. What that means particularly in United's case I'm not sure Grealish ahead of Sancho? £80m not £90m whatever?

I am pretty sure West Ham for instance are in sell before they buy mode and it would not surprise me if most mid level PL clubs were in that position. The question is where are the buyers?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9893 on: July 30, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
Ake off to Man City from Bournemouth. £41m.
Quality player
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9894 on: July 30, 2020, 02:32:41 PM »
Ake off to Man City from Bournemouth. £41m.
Quality player

I remember people on here saying he was overpriced when he moved to Bournemouth. It still frustrates me that we never seem to invest in young players with real potential to make us a lot of money.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9895 on: July 30, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
Saudi's pull out of Newcastle takeover.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9896 on: July 30, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
I remember people on here saying he was overpriced when he moved to Bournemouth. It still frustrates me that we never seem to invest in young players with real potential to make us a lot of money.

In general this is the path we should be treading but the Ake deal and the one that bought Jordan Ibe to Bournemouth were bad deals. Even though on the face of it they made money on Ake. Both deals had buy back clauses in them which is not uncommon when a big club sells a promising youngsters to clubs further down the pyramid. This in effect caps the money that the club can make from any future sale but obviously leaves the buying club with the risk of the not insignificant fee.

Hence Ibe cost £16m and the fee was a complete write off and Ake cost £22m but could never be sold for more than £40m profit capped at £18m if he bombed which was not impossible loss was £22m.

Compare the deal that Leicester struck for Harry Maguire that same summer £12m but they owned 100% of the upside.

The fee wasn't so much of a problem we were in negotiations with 'Boro for Ben Gibson during that window and had we been able to sign him for £20m we would have and Michael Keane went from Burnley to Everton for £25m but the structure of the deal made it horrible.

If you want the real winners Southampton made a £5m signing of a Centre Half from Lech Poznan by the name of  Jan Bednarek although they did manage to blow £14m on Wes Hoedt last seen on loan at Royal Antwerp so you win some and you lose some.

The future values of players are always unpredictable but signing younger players from further down the pyramid probably gives you the best chance of sucess. Buying from further up the pyramid even where those players are of the right age less so.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9897 on: July 30, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
Nathan Ake: Man City £40m bid for defender accepted by Bournemouth

I think he's much better player than the one the vile bought from them  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9898 on: July 30, 2020, 08:28:39 PM »
Newcastle takeover: Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers end interest
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9899 on: July 31, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
Newcastle takeover: Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers end interest

saying the process was taking too long.
I bet Ashley was trying to dick them about
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'