Author Topic: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 2379236 times)

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL PREMIER LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #9050 on: May 19, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »
I believe the score at a lot of places at this point is that if you aren't displaying symptoms (or no-one at home is displaying symptoms) then you should be back at work if the workplace has been made safe. If you have worries about a member of your household being vulnerable then you have the right to stay off work but do not get paid/furloughed. That's what is actually happening with a lot of employers. So yeah, his choice if he wants to sit it out but he probably shouldn't be getting furloughed.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9051 on: May 19, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
So if someone lives with someone in a high risk category you tjink they should be forced back into work?

Here's the problem. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, well except key workers who you appear far yes concerned about than a footballer. You employ very emotive language for some reason in situations that clearly don't merit it.

What has happened is Deeney has refused to go to work in one of the safest environments on the planet. He hasn't opened a dialogue with the club. He hasn't, presumably, made a complaint about the club to the local authority or HSE. So if as you state he should be treated the same as every other person, then he should either, be put on furlough, unpaid leave, or if reconciliation cannot be reached, sacked.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:18:59 AM by Political Cake »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9052 on: May 19, 2020, 08:04:18 PM »
Jacko, you keep having a pop at me, can you dial it back a bit please, no need for the personal attacks.  Thanks.

In response to your post, I thought I'd made it clear that I don't think anyone should be forced back to work if they are concerned for their own or their loved ones safety.  This applies to everyone front line worker or not.  There's nothing emotive about it. 

Some on here seem to think Deeney should be back playing football whereas I understand his reasons for not.  And I support them, just as I'd support anyone else who was worried about their child catching it. 

For the record, i also pointed out that he has already talked to the club and they support his decision. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9053 on: May 19, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
Jacko, you keep having a pop at me, can you dial it back a bit please, no need for the personal attacks.  Thanks.

In response to your post, I thought I'd made it clear that I don't think anyone should be forced back to work if they are concerned for their own or their loved ones safety.  This applies to everyone front line worker or not.  There's nothing emotive about it. 

Some on here seem to think Deeney should be back playing football whereas I understand his reasons for not.  And I support them, just as I'd support anyone else who was worried about their child catching it. 

For the record, i also pointed out that he has already talked to the club and they support his decision.

I'm not having a pop at you, however I find your posting style brow-beating and belligerent, the other evening yourself and another poster were tag teaming a member in another thread resulting in posts being removed, and it isn't the first time.

That said we'll agree to disagree on Saint Troy.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9054 on: May 19, 2020, 08:18:00 PM »
I've asked politely and you still don't stop.  If you can point out any of my posts that you consider me directing personal attacks towards someone I'll be more than happy to apologise.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9055 on: May 19, 2020, 08:31:29 PM »
It's not about a footballer catching it, it's about who they pass it onto.  How would you feel if you got ill at work, doing a job that didn't need doing, then came home and passed it onto someone vulnerable?

So when is a safe time to go back to work mate ?  There’s always going to be a risk now ,What we going to do stay in side forever , like I said the time now has come to adapt . What happens if this virus stays with us for years , are you saying people shouldn’t work if they feel unsafe ? Then lose there jobs and homes and have a chance of there mental health being destroyed?

Now is the time we have to get on with life and change . All industry’s not just football

I’m a healthy (I think  :D) 34 year old , I read the other day 1% of the deaths have been people under 40 and in that 1% , 96% of those had underlying health conditions. Those figures shouldn’t destroy the economy, shouldn’t let cancer death rates go sky high , shouldn’t let numerous illnesses going missing and shouldn’t destroy mental health . In my opinion millions of people have to change and should be willing to. There is a lot of other things to worry about then coronavirus, as bad as coronavirus is.

If your healthy and in a certain age bracket the risk is minimal, those people including myself are the ones that have got to man up and get the ball rolling again .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:37:19 PM by wbarenno »

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9056 on: May 19, 2020, 08:39:04 PM »
Bang on mate.

I look forward to you adapting by offering to buy me a pint the first weekend the pubs open  ;D

I look forward to the day mate  8)

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9057 on: May 19, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »
The likelihood is that we are all going to have to live with the virus for a considerable time to come; unless you live the rest of your life as a hermit there will always be risk. Life is a risk. As for finishing the season, Premier League and Championship, the players should be housed in a hotel for the period covering return to training and completing the matches. That would isolate them from outside contact and remove the risk of them taking the bug back home. Football has given players an enviable lifestyle and I do think it is too much to ask for them to have some temporary inconvenience in order to finish the season, for the benefit of the game, the clubs and the fans. Unfortunately, I can’t for one moment see that scenario coming to pass.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9058 on: May 19, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »

Here's the problem. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, well except key workers who you appear far yes concerned about than a footballer. You employ very emotive language for some reason in situations that clearly don't merit it.

What has happened is Deeney has refused to go to work in one of the safest environments on the planet. He hasn't opened a dialogue with the club. He hasn't, presumably, made a complaint about the club to the local authority or HSE. So if as you state he should be treated the same as every other person, then he should either, be put on furlough, unpaid leave, or if reconciliation cannot be reached, sacked.

You are 100%, right, the life of a footballer at the top level is a pampered and privilidged one, if he is concerned for his family, then self isolate in a hotel for a few weeks whilst the season is completed, loads of NHS staff have done that, care home staff have lived at the care homes in tents for weeks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:19:10 AM by Political Cake »
Baggie in Southampton

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9059 on: May 19, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
So when is a safe time to go back to work mate ?  There’s always going to be a risk now ,What we going to do stay in side forever , like I said the time now has come to adapt . What happens if this virus stays with us for years , are you saying people shouldn’t work if they feel unsafe ? Then lose there jobs and homes and have a chance of there mental health being destroyed?

Now is the time we have to get on with life and change . All industry’s not just football

I’m a healthy (I think  :D) 34 year old , I read the other day 1% of the deaths have been people under 40 and in that 1% , 96% of those had underlying health conditions. Those figures shouldn’t destroy the economy, shouldn’t let cancer death rates go sky high , shouldn’t let numerous illnesses going missing and shouldn’t destroy mental health . In my opinion millions of people have to change and should be willing to. There is a lot of other things to worry about then coronavirus, as bad as coronavirus is.

If your healthy and in a certain age bracket the risk is minimal, those people including myself are the ones that have got to man up and get the ball rolling again .

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't return to work though. Some people will have dependants who are high risk, some won't.  Those who don't have that risk can cautiously return.  As the risk level drops then more will return to work.  That level where you're comfortable to return will vary for everyone. 

Those who do have that risk should be supported rather than hassled into returning.  To me, it doesn't matter what that occupation is, or how much I like/dislike the person - we should treat them all the same. 

I agree with what you're saying about fit and healthy, but in Deeney's case he's not concerned about his own health so much as more of his son's.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9060 on: May 19, 2020, 09:47:02 PM »
I'm not arguing that people shouldn't return to work though. Some people will have dependants who are high risk, some won't.  Those who don't have that risk can cautiously return.  As the risk level drops then more will return to work.  That level where you're comfortable to return will vary for everyone. 

Those who do have that risk should be supported rather than hassled into returning.  To me, it doesn't matter what that occupation is, or how much I like/dislike the person - we should treat them all the same. 

I agree with what you're saying about fit and healthy, but in Deeney's case he's not concerned about his own health so much as more of his son's.

I have no idea about Deeney‘s situation and if he is looking out for his kid then I get it .

The poster above had a great idea about footballers being kept together for a month ,sounds a great idea. Cricket players regularly do it for test matches abroad . I mean at my work there’s been a few lads away on oil rigs and pipe binding boats for months . Away from their  family’s . That’s their profession same as football is a footballers profession. It would definitely be a way to protect their family’s and do their jobs at the same time

About returning to work , I wonder how many would already be back at work if it’s wasn’t for the furloughing scheme , the mentality towards going back to work would be totally different if people weren’t getting paid to do nothing I think .

Fortunately footballers have that luxury of being rich and can afford to stay off work , what would I have to do if my daughter had issues ? What would I have to do ?not work lose my job , not be able to feed my family and lose my home ?

Staying off work can’t go on forever and I agree everyone goes at different times but for working class people like us eventually there will become a time when you have to go back

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:15:59 AM by LiamTheBaggie »

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9061 on: May 19, 2020, 10:46:39 PM »
I have no issue with what Deeney has said and I understand where he is coming from.

He doesn’t strike me as someone who does not want to come back to work for no reason.

Regardless of what your opinion of him is he has his view which should be respected

I like him and I would love to see him in our team personally, but that’s just me....he hates the villa so what’s not to like???
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 12:56:20 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9062 on: May 20, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
Deeney has every right to sit out in order to protect his family, should have no bearing on whether the league restarts though, it's just his choice. Provided teams have enough players available to complete then it can go ahead without him. If, however, teams have enough players abstaining from duty, which is also their right, then that is an end to it surely?

Personally, i don't see how it can work anyway and we should just finish the season on PPG and wait until it is safe to restart properly, however long that takes.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9063 on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
Deeney has every right to sit out in order to protect his family, should have no bearing on whether the league restarts though, it's just his choice. Provided teams have enough players available to complete then it can go ahead without him. If, however, teams have enough players abstaining from duty, which is also their right, then that is an end to it surely?

Personally, i don't see how it can work anyway and we should just finish the season on PPG and wait until it is safe to restart properly, however long that takes.
Well
I’m not too sure that he is actually qualified to be able to make an informed decision....however assuming he’s just made his mind up that he won’t train/play, then he most certainly should not receive his wages .
I don’t really have a problem with anyone ever choosing not to do their job....but then there is no pay ..simple?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9064 on: May 20, 2020, 08:14:12 PM »
Well
I’m not too sure that he is actually qualified to be able to make an informed decision....however assuming he’s just made his mind up that he won’t train/play, then he most certainly should not receive his wages .
I don’t really have a problem with anyone ever choosing not to do their job....but then there is no pay ..simple?

The way I see it, he effectively retired from football yesterday.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9065 on: May 20, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »

The way I see it, he effectively retired from football yesterday.
Should be so
Believe though that he’s contracted until next summer
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9066 on: May 20, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
I genuinely can't believe you guys are serious.  You know the club supports him yeah?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9067 on: May 20, 2020, 08:52:28 PM »
Should be so
Believe though that he’s contracted until next summer

Talk of no vaccine until 2021 if ever. He's now effectively retired. No doubt, unless he decides he can play while COVID-19 is still around which would be a complete about turn.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9068 on: May 20, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »
While i believe he has the right to refuse to play he should not be able to claim his wages for it. Thats ridiculous.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9069 on: May 20, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »
While i believe he has the right to refuse to play he should not be able to claim his wages for it. Thats ridiculous.

Do you think the same applies for all workers then?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9070 on: May 20, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »

Talk of no vaccine until 2021 if ever. He's now effectively retired. No doubt, unless he decides he can play while COVID-19 is still around which would be a complete about turn.

Or maybe he thinks the risk is too high at the moment considering the number of infections?  Once they drop he may consider it safe to return.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9071 on: May 20, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
Or maybe he thinks the risk is too high at the moment considering the number of infections?  Once they drop he may consider it safe to return.

6?

He's going into the safest work environment in the country. Doesn't matter how many cases are in the gen pop. He's made his stand, let's see how far he's willing to take it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9072 on: May 20, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »
Do you think the same applies for all workers then?

If they are protected at the level he is then yes.  There are very few people privileged enough to be looked after as well as they are currently. Forget how much he earns its irrelevant.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9073 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »

6?

He's going into the safest work environment in the country. Doesn't matter how many cases are in the gen pop. He's made his stand, let's see how far he's willing to take it.

Safest work environment in the country? Based on what?  Based on the fact some have been found positive?  That they have been assured they won't catch it?  You cannot guarantee they won't get it so he is entirely in his right to fear for his son.

And that still doesn't mean he won't catch it.  I'll try asking  again....

Jacko: do you think Deeney should be forced to play despite his concerns over his young son?  And do you hold the same opinion for anybody else in the working population?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9074 on: May 20, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
If they are protected at the level he is then yes.  There are very few people privileged enough to be looked after as well as they are currently. Forget how much he earns its irrelevant.

He's not guaranteed though.  We are literally asking for him to take his son's life into his hands for something like football.  It is as far away as a front line nhs job as you can get. 

It's his son's life he's putting before anything else.  Simple as that.