Author Topic: My worry................  (Read 26080 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: My worry................
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2018, 09:23:47 PM »
Not us. The guy aint scored in around 2 years!

OK its ok to be wise after the event, at the time we turned down an offer of £25m from Spurs and because he played up we had to let him go for a lot less
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
OK its ok to be wise after the event, at the time we turned down an offer of £25m from Spurs and because he played up we had to let him go for a lot less

It wasn’t £25m spurs offered a ridiculous amount with add ons such as winning the league etc
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2018, 09:33:49 PM »
It wasn’t £25m spurs offered a ridiculous amount with add ons such as winning the league etc

I'm done ::)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »
I'm done ::)

We were never offered £25m for Berahino.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2018, 06:57:33 AM »
If any of the players likely to leave do so we will be collecting a sizeable amount of money.
It is unlikely that any decent Premiership player would sign for us so the only Premiership players who would sign would be players nearing the end of their careers like Barry who would still require a high wage.
If we ignore all such players that leaves us with a sum of money which virtually every Championship,league 1 or 2 club would accept so we should be aiming to buy the best players in those leagues and the player's wages will be much less than that of a Prem player.If we follow this idea to a logical conclusion we can obtain some really good or promising players and have the best squad in the league.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »
We were never offered £25m for Berahino.

From memory it was £22m, with a £6m up front payment and the rest linked to clauses - appearances, goals etc so I can see why it was declined. Typical Levy in action.
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
It does diminish their value............to us.
Berahino was £25m before he started playing up, he went for what? £15m
Whose the looser?
So did Berahino though, I'm sure his package was far less than Spurs were offering. That's why he should be held up as an example to any player considering using the same tactics. Yes you'll get your move, eventually, but it will not be what you're expecting and may do far more harm than good to your career.
The best way to get a move is to get your head down, do the best job you can and increase your stock.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
From memory it was £22m, with a £6m up front payment and the rest linked to clauses - appearances, goals etc so I can see why it was declined. Typical Levy in action.

I don't think it was anything like that. Will look up the details later but it was a derisory up front offer less than 10 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »

I don't think it was anything like that. Will look up the details later but it was a derisory up front offer less than 10 million.
[/b]
I think I said that Jacko, around £6m. I also seem to remember that Levy had linked England appearances into the deal, although that may be folklore......
MAGA!

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
If we hadn't turned down the bid from Spurs then Berahino wouldn't have sulked, he would have led the line for England, he would have scored the goal that Kane missed against Croatia and we would have won the World Cup.  Fact.  JP has a lot to answer for....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »

I think I said that Jacko, around £6m. I also seem to remember that Levy had linked England appearances into the deal, although that may be folklore......

Sorry mate. Totally missed the gist of your post. I hadn't had a coffee yet if that's any excuse?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 11:39:10 AM »
so if we were not to sell anybody else how would we fair fare. would you all be happy
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »
so if we were not to sell anybody else how would we fair fare. would you all be happy

If everyone in the current squad was happy to stay and willing to play for us this season, I'd be happy for the window to close now and think we'd be comfortable top 6. I can't see that being the case though.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
With the Mclean sale, that takes the total number of players from last season who have left to 9, with only 3 incomings so far. With less than 3 weeks left till the main window closes, and with Rondon and Chadli still odds on to leave (plus potentially Hegazi), we need to get moving pretty quick now.

We still need another central defender, arguably another full back, a wide man replacement, a forward (probably 2) and we DESPERATELY need a creative midfielder which was our big problem last year.

I hope we see some more movement in the next seven days.
Boing Boing

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »

Squad far too light with so many outgoings.
Not many of the youngsters yet look good enough for a squad place and some will never make at this level.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
My worry is that we just may have chosen the wrong manager and I do hope I'm proven wrong.  I would have gone for Graham Potter another ex Albion player.  Potter has had experience managing an unfavoured side over a couple of seasons.
There is no doubt that Big Dave has motivational qualities but I'm not sure about tactical nous: such as bring on subs in a timely fashion and not when it's too late to effect the game and taking off the nominal best player when he's not performing even if it's someone you've spent a lot of money on.
I don't blame the club for going for Darren after the newspapers were urging it to do so.  I just hope that we get Graeme Jones as assistant head coach to complement him and to give some knowledge of European talent maybe.
Am I too pessimistic?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »
My worry is that we just may have chosen the wrong manager and I do hope I'm proven wrong.  I would have gone for Graham Potter another ex Albion player.  Potter has had experience managing an unfavoured side over a couple of seasons.
There is no doubt that Big Dave has motivational qualities but I'm not sure about tactical nous: such as bring on subs in a timely fashion and not when it's too late to effect the game and taking off the nominal best player when he's not performing even if it's someone you've spent a lot of money on.
I don't blame the club for going for Darren after the newspapers were urging it to do so.  I just hope that we get Graeme Jones as assistant head coach to complement him and to give some knowledge of European talent maybe.
Am I too pessimistic?

No I get your point. I too worry about the limitations of Darren 4-4-2 Moore. However, the club have made their choice, there is nothing whatsoever positive in not getting behind him from the start. Lets see what / how he does before we make a proper judgement.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
I don't buy this Darren "negative" Moore stuff,

He saw first hand how the squad performed in Pulisball mode and the shambles of Pardew's "go and play boys" and it was clear something had to change, so he went back to basics, know your role and limitations football, and we all saw the results.
In my mind it was the only sensible option available, yes he could have played the kids and thrown all caution to the wind but if we got hammered week in / week out, he would had no chance at getting the role he has worked towards for many years. So he took the pragmatic approach.

Now he has a chance to mould a team and a style we may see a different approach, There is a middle ground between Samba football and British work & run hard style, and I think thats where we may be heading,

Recently there was a very interesting piece about Gareth Southgate touring clubs and urging them to embrace youth and skill based football coaching along the lines which St Georges has been adopting, maybe this has struck a chord with DM?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »
I'm not sure about tactical nous: such as bring on subs in a timely fashion and not when it's too late to effect the game and taking off the nominal best player when he's not performing even if it's someone you've spent a lot of money on.
If you are basing this on pre season games then yes you are being overly pessimistic they are about fitness and looking at players performances, various formations and fitness. He did OK in my book in the games he was in charge of at the end of last season remember how he somehow managed to keep the hope going long after it should have died.
COYB and in Big Dave we trust 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »
Big Dave = club legend and lovely bloke. But a cheap appointment which won't end well.