Author Topic: Promotion race 2018/2019  (Read 32579 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Promotion race 2018/2019
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »
There is a POTENTIALLY dangerous cocktail brewing at the Hawthorns
a) A terrible home run
b) simmering discontent from some of the fans
c) players being played out of position (again)
d) players possibly losing faith in the "system"
e) coaching team tinkering to find the elusive winning formula.

I really believe we need to go back to football 101.
Pick a 4-4-2 which all players understand
Play round pegs in round holes (Gayle and Tosin for starters)
Rest players who are knackered
Grind out a home win against Ipswich
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
There is a POTENTIALLY dangerous cocktail brewing at the Hawthorns
a) A terrible home run
b) simmering discontent from some of the fans
c) players being played out of position (again)
d) players possibly losing faith in the "system"
e) coaching team tinkering to find the elusive winning formula.

I really believe we need to go back to football 101.
Pick a 4-4-2 which all players understand
Play round pegs in round holes (Gayle and Tosin for starters)
Rest players who are knackered
Grind out a home win against Ipswich
Agree with a lot of that , I've felt for a while DM /GJ are over complicating things and asking things of certain players that they cannot do or at best uncomfortable doing them.
The performance and result on Saturday will tell us everything , time for a shuffle with the system and certain players IMO . Get some form going rather than limp into the Play offs if we are lucky.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
I know everyone's hurting after the Leeds result but come on, we need to pick ourselves up. The very fact that it would take a disaster for us not to make the play offs shows what a good season we've had. Add to this the fact that, apart from Boro, we have already beaten the other teams we are likely to face.
We are still in this, right up to the wire, let's not let the doom and gloom derail us now, let's have some positivity for one final push.

If we sensed for one second that the players or coaches were giving up, we would be incensed, yet we do it ourselves?

Even if you believe automatic is out of reach,which I don't, just let yourself imagine you and 50,000 fellow Baggies clinching promotion at Wembley! If that doesn't get your senses tingling, nothing will, it's what being a football supporter is all about, surely??
Don't give up.
COYB

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
Over the last 65 years of following and supporting Albion, one thing I have learnt during this time and that is they never cease in surprising you, good and bad!

I just which there was an algorithm I could use to work out what the %’s are and have some form of assurance or reassurance about an outcome, but I haven’t and I mither myself to distraction as a result.

But if I did have any type of foresight, I probably would become complacent and still wouldn’t be contented as I’d know the outcome and it wouldn’t then be a surprise.

You just can’t win with some folk!

I’ll get we coot
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
It only takes Norwich and Leeds and sheffu to lose a match draw a game,play each other etc and us to win and promo is back on it's not all doom and gloom,yes past 2 very poor but that must be the springboard to bounce straight back to winning ways,also at this stage I don't care how as long as the results a win.
Were still fourth somehow and I don't think we've played well as a team all season apart from one or two games.
Because of the damage incurred throughout the club by the two P,s,this season was always going to be massive and Dave et all are bringing back the crowds to be proud of our club again not a laughing stock.
Have the top 3 hit bad patches yet?
They can get nervous because there's only one way for them to go and that's down we've got something to chase like the relay runner in second place coming off the final bend,know what I mean?
The best is yet to come for us be positive not negative.

I like this post. It is of course easy to be totally despondent after the last 2 games but there is a lot still to play for and, although I no longer expect us to achieve automatic promotion it is still possible. Keep the glass half full, it's much more fun!!

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »
I can't see any reason why we can't make the play offs at least and the players we have should be more than capable of delivering that.
Some have talked off the current top 3 dropping points but if you look at what they do, they all seem to have the ability to grind out wins. Norwich appear to be unstoppable, Sheff Utd are certainly well organised and Leeds stutter about but are still there, reacting to the expectations and support they get.
On Friday Leeds had more pace, desire and ability against us and we looked like rabbits in headlights.
Sadly any side that shows that against us will find that we are susceptible against pace at the back, we lack creativity in midfield and at times have forwards who don't appear to be able to score. Yes I know we did score goals for fun. but that's dried up and we are back to conceding goals and then chasing games.
Luckily the teams below us are not that good and results below us have gone in our favour. The Vile will still be 'interested' so could also do us favours over the next few weeks so all is not lost. 

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
I can't see any reason why we can't make the play offs at least and the players we have should be more than capable of delivering that.
Some have talked off the current top 3 dropping points but if you look at what they do, they all seem to have the ability to grind out wins. Norwich appear to be unstoppable, Sheff Utd are certainly well organised and Leeds stutter about but are still there, reacting to the expectations and support they get.
On Friday Leeds had more pace, desire and ability against us and we looked like rabbits in headlights.
Sadly any side that shows that against us will find that we are susceptible against pace at the back, we lack creativity in midfield and at times have forwards who don't appear to be able to score. Yes I know we did score goals for fun. but that's dried up and we are back to conceding goals and then chasing games.
Luckily the teams below us are not that good and results below us have gone in our favour. The Vile will still be 'interested' so could also do us favours over the next few weeks so all is not lost.

im sorry but the "all is not lost" attitude is not good enough for me. that squad should finish in the top two and it now seems very unlikely that we are going to achieve that and look nailed on to be going into the play offs which is a complete lottery and with DM's tactical awareness i wouldnt back us against anybody over 2 legs.

Still angry and disappointing from friday.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
All three teams above us have a clear way of playing and a settled first team and a seemingly strong group/ teamwork ethic - vital elements all promoted teams need and the very things we seem to lack to be honest.

The best we can hope for is to get lucky in the play offs in my opinion.............
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 02:23:11 PM by darbolina »

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 04:00:40 PM »
Would be very interesting if Villa sneaked into the playoffs along with us

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »
I don’t even want to think about this happening.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »

No chance. They need a similar run to the one we need for automatic, more even.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »

I reckon Preston have a better chance than that claret and blue shower.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »
I’ll stick my neck on the line and say Villa will make top 6 with Middlesbrough, Sheff U and us.  I’d say Grealish is definitely the best player in the league.  I expect them to beat Blues on Sunday.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
I see the 'super computer' has us finishing in 4th place, that will give us a two legged semi against Boro and a potential final against Sheff Utd or Bristol City.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-computer-predicted-west-brom-15922000

Wouldn't relish any of those TBH
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
I see the 'super computer' has us finishing in 4th place, that will give us a two legged semi against Boro and a potential final against Sheff Utd or Bristol City.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-computer-predicted-west-brom-15922000

Wouldn't relish any of those TBH
We currently have the best away record in the league so should fear no-one over 2 legs and the final against any of those 2 would be a fantastic occasion and, in my opinion, our biggest game for 30 years.
We should be relishing this, after all the, largely meaningless, mind-numbing, non-entity football we've watched over recent years.
Imagine the passion, anticipation, fear, excitement, euphoria that these games can bring, isn't that what football, or, more importantly, being a football supporter, is all about?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
We currently have the best away record in the league so should fear no-one over 2 legs and the final against any of those 2 would be a fantastic occasion and, in my opinion, our biggest game for 30 years.
We should be relishing this, after all the, largely meaningless, mind-numbing, non-entity football we've watched over recent years.
Imagine the passion, anticipation, fear, excitement, euphoria that these games can bring, isn't that what football, or, more importantly, being a football supporter, is all about?

all we have to do is get the team to turn up

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »
Still a lot of twists and turns on the road ahead. Jumpers for goal posts. If we score more than the opposition I'll be over the moon, if we don't I'll be sick as a parrot. Cliches aside there really is a lot of football to be played and the promotion race is far from over yet.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
My nightmare would be playing Boro in the play-offs. Four defeats to that cap-wearing **** in a season, and another season (at least) in the Championship?  :'(

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 12:50:28 PM »
Still a lot of twists and turns on the road ahead. Jumpers for goal posts. If we score more than the opposition I'll be over the moon, if we don't I'll be sick as a parrot. Cliches aside there really is a lot of football to be played and the promotion race is far from over yet.

pretty much how I feel about it, still some twists and turn to come.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
My nightmare would be playing Boro in the play-offs. Four defeats to that cap-wearing **** in a season, and another season (at least) in the Championship?  :'(
Imagine beating them though. Remember last year against Villa when they didn't have a shot on target.
We shouldn't fear that coward.
I hope we get them and stuff them!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 02:46:20 PM »
If we do play them, over two legs, we only need to score, on aggregate, one more goal against them than they do against us.

So, we can lose a game to them and still win, simples! :o ;D :'(
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »
I know everyone's hurting after the Leeds result but come on, we need to pick ourselves up. The very fact that it would take a disaster for us not to make the play offs shows what a good season we've had. Add to this the fact that, apart from Boro, we have already beaten the other teams we are likely to face.
We are still in this, right up to the wire, let's not let the doom and gloom derail us now, let's have some positivity for one final push.

If we sensed for one second that the players or coaches were giving up, we would be incensed, yet we do it ourselves?

Even if you believe automatic is out of reach,which I don't, just let yourself imagine you and 50,000 fellow Baggies clinching promotion at Wembley! If that doesn't get your senses tingling, nothing will, it's what being a football supporter is all about, surely??
Don't give up.
COYB
Best post yet, so much doom and gloom around at the moment. I know our previous two games have been pretty awful after the amazing scenes at Loftus Road recently, but we can cement our play off place and make a darn good go of it if we can get a few more wins.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 10:58:10 PM »
Derby win their game in hand so the gap to Ipswich is now 6 points.
A huge week coming up with 3 games in 7 days, things could look much brighter, terrible or about the same.

I’ll go with the same.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Derby win their game in hand so the gap to Ipswich is now 6 points.
A huge week coming up with 3 games in 7 days, things could look much brighter, terrible or about the same.

I’ll go with the same.

Strange post.
Derby don't have a game in hand, and where do Ipswich come into it, apart from Saturday?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
Strange post.
Derby don't have a game in hand, and where do Ipswich come into it, apart from Saturday?

Think he means that Derby's win last night puts them 7th & level on points with 6th placed Bristol City.

Bristol City & Boro have a game in hand on us.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?