Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1310985 times)

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
A 6 year banning order?! He should be banned for life!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
16 weeks is a joke really, not exactly a punishment to put others off. As for the banning order I'm sure I read he had breached two of them already so I don't see the point if he's going to keep getting away with it, they needed to make the punishment more severe to put others off ever thinking about doing something similar.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
It begs the question of what use is a football banning order? If the moron has already had two and he is still acquiring tickets and gaining admission? Wouldnt it be better to give him a suspended 5 year jail term if he is caught within half a mile of any football ground on match day.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
It begs the question of what use is a football banning order? If the moron has already had two and he is still acquiring tickets and gaining admission? Wouldnt it be better to give him a suspended 5 year jail term if he is caught within half a mile of any football ground on match day.

I've never understood how a banning order works. The only way to police it is to ID everyone who buys a ticket. You can easily just buy a ticket on the gate and get in.

It seems they only get caught when they cause trouble, like this prat. So it just defeats the object of a banning order surely?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
I've never understood how a banning order works. The only way to police it is to ID everyone who buys a ticket. You can easily just buy a ticket on the gate and get in.

It seems they only get caught when they cause trouble, like this prat. So it just defeats the object of a banning order surely?
I think anyone who as a banning order as to report to a local police station on the day of the game. A banning order can be as little as 1 or 2 months so this idot may have not been on a banning order. 
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
I think anyone who as a banning order as to report to a local police station on the day of the game. A banning order can be as little as 1 or 2 months so this idot may have not been on a banning order.

In that case they are totally worthless! Why we allow these people to carry on as they do amazes me. And its not exclusive to football, you only have to tune in to Jeremy Kyle to see that.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
Don't know if the link I provided mentioned it but he has been life time ban on attending Leeds United matches.

I did have to laugh at something I read though on a link which was produced on Owlstalk. He is an unemployed labourer from Gloucester yet he manages to travel home and away to watch Leeds United. I'd love to know how he affords that to be honest.

Prosecutor Paul Macaulay said Cawley told police he was so drunk he could not remember the incident, which has been seen by millions of TV viewers.
District Judge Naomi Redhouse said she had not seen the footage and it was played for her in court today.
Mr Macaulay said Cawley told officers he had drunk a number of cans of Stella Artois lager on Friday morning, followed by three-quarters of a litre of vodka - all before he got to Sheffield by train.
Once in Sheffield, he had a further seven to 10 pints of cider, the court heard.

Obviously weren't to drunk to remember what he had drank. Amazing how for someone so drunk he managed to enter the pitch, hit the keeper and run away perfectly. I don't think I'd be able to do that had I drank so much.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
Dougie Freedman has left Crystal Palace to become Bolton Wanderers new manager. He signs a three year contract.

Good appointment i think.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »
Think its a poor move by Bolton, I know we appointed RDM when we went down but we wernt in 100 million debt. Bolton need to get back to the Premier League as soon as possible otherwise they will do a Sheffield United and slip into the third tier.They need someone with experiance, is Freedman any better than Coyle ? ??? backwards move for them I Think.
BOING BOING

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »
Think its a poor move by Bolton, I know we appointed RDM when we went down but we wernt in 100 million debt. Bolton need to get back to the Premier League as soon as possible otherwise they will do a Sheffield United and slip into the third tier.They need someone with experiance, is Freedman any better than Coyle ? ??? backwards move for them I Think.

I would have thought they'd have gone for someone a bit more experienced but you never know, he could get them out of the Championship in a couple of seasons, they have started really poorly though. I must say I have a soft spot for Bolton as my nan is from there.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Paul Jewell has left Ipswich Town:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20048196

Paul Jewell has left his job as manager of Ipswich Town with the club bottom of the Championship.

Jewell, 48, has parted by mutual consent after Tuesday's loss to Derby - their 11th straight game without a win.

Former Wigan and Derby boss Jewell becomes the third manager to leave Portman Road during Marcus Evans's five-year period as Town owner.

"I could not have had any more support than I have from Marcus and [chief executive] Simon Clegg," he said.

"We all know that football is a results business, though, and I've never hidden from the fact that our results have not been good enough.

"It's been a privilege to be manager of such a fantastic football club and I want to thank the staff and the supporters for the backing."

Jewell's assistant, Chris Hutchings, has been placed in caretaker charge and will prepare the side for Saturday's visit of Sheffield Wednesday.

"Since he first walked through the door here, no-one has worked harder to bring success to this club than Paul Jewell," said Evans, who is also Town's chairman.

"Unfortunately his outstanding commitment has not been rewarded by results on the pitch and, having spoken with Paul at length, we feel it's best for him and the club if we go our separate ways.

"I'm bitterly disappointed - as is Paul - that it has not worked out as we had hoped when he became our manager 21 months ago and I would like to put on record my thanks for his services to the club and wish him every success in the future."

Jewell, who has won just one league game this season, succeeded Roy Keane in the job in January 2011.

He steered Ipswich away from relegation during that campaign, but followed that up with another season of struggle which eventually ended with a 15th-place finish.

Jewell was unable to bring in the players he wanted this summer and has instead relied heavily on the loan market, signing eight individuals on temporary deals.

But, with the club floundering at the wrong end of the table, it was looking increasingly unlikely that Jewell would be able to provide Evans with the promotion push he desperately wants and, with his contract set to expire at the end of the season, the pair have parted ways.

But his latest stint follows ill-fated periods at Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday.

Historically Evans has made his appointments swiftly and former West Ham and Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has been linked with the Portman Road job.

"The search for a new manager of this club is well under way and I am confident that we will find the right man to get the best out of the players, both individually and collectively, and lead the team to future success," said Clegg.

"The immediate focus is to ensure we secure three points on Saturday and in this regards I have asked Chris Hutchings to take over as caretaker manager."

Ipswich will hold a news conference at 15:00 BST, but an announcement on a new manager is not expected.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
Some interesting results in the Championship today:

Barnsley 1 - 4 Nottm Forest FT
Blackburn 1 - 0 Watford FT
Blackpool 1 - 1 Brighton FT
Cardiff 4 - 0 Burnley FT
Ipswich 0 - 3 Sheff Wed FT
Leeds United 0 - 1 Birmingham FT
Leicester 1 - 2 Crystal Palace FT
Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Bolton FT
Millwall 4 - 0 Huddersfield FT
Peterborough 3 - 0 Derby FT
Wolves 1 - 1 Charlton FT

Some big wins in there for Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham. Cardiff have over-taken Leicester at the top of the table. Ipswich remain bottom with 7 points. I'm not technical enough to upload the table!

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
Henning Berg - New Blackburn manger - Looked at his record at he got sacked by his last club and they were in the Norway league

Mick McCarthy - New Ipswich manager- Good move by Ipswich he will get them challenging for promotion maybe this year or next. Mick has a proven record in the Championship but like Warnock he struggles in the Premier League.
BOING BOING

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Crystal Palace have made an approach for Ian Holloway

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
Crystal Palace have made an approach for Ian Holloway

Oliie signs for Palace.
Not everyones choice on here but he was my choice when Hodgson left.Strange move for him though, more like a sideways slighty back step.Maybe he fancies the bright lights not Blackpool lights
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »

Oliie signs for Palace.
Not everyones choice on here but he was my choice when Hodgson left.Strange move for him though, more like a sideways slighty back step.Maybe he fancies the bright lights not Blackpool lights

got to admit im suprised! thought he was Blackpool through and through! must of fancied a new challenge.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:19:50 PM by B_H_Baggie »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
I read elsewhere that his relationship with the Karl Oyston had apparently broken down which could perhaps explain why he has moved to Palace. It does seem a very sideways move as I don't think Palace are any better than what Blackpool are. I think January might be an interesting month and may possibly reveal some answers as to why Holloway could possibly have moved. He'll be under pressure though moving to Palace as they're in an incredible run of form with the pressure on Holloway to get going straight from the off.

Be interesting to see where Blackpool turn. Could Michael Appleton possibly be in for a return to the Championship?

Why Ian Holloway's departure was inevitable
So, it's finally happened. Ian Holloway has left Bloomfield Road after three and a bit seasons in charge to take up the managerial position at Crystal Palace. The rumour mill had been in overdrive for a couple of weeks and it comes as no surprise that Holloway has eventually decided it's time to move on. When linked to the Burnley job, prior to Sean Dyche's appointment at Turf Moor, I wrote a piece for No Nay Never about what might be motivating Holloway to seek a potential exit - I'd like to expand on some of the points raised there to establish some background as to why today's events have come to pass.

As is always the case with football fans of any club, not just Blackpool, fickleness is often the order of the day. In the wake of Holloway's departure just wait for the tide of opinion to turn against our best manager in a generation from a certain cross-section of the Blackpool support. "He's a greedy bugger, he just wants more money for himself," they'll say. "He was losing the plot anyway - it's time to move on," they'll opine. So rather than beat around the bush, why don't we address those points individually?

Is Holloway motivated by money? Does he think he can go and earn more elsewhere? I have no doubt this is the case, but those on their moral high horses to suggest it makes him greedy are forgetting that is what football is all about today. Nobody does anything in football without money being a key factor. It's the nature of the beast and to kick up a fuss about this is a nonsense argument. Other non-financial factors combined can create a situation where discrepancies in money can be overcome, but Holloway must feel these other factors are not in place.

Was Holloway losing the plot? Had his magic started to diminish? Again, quite possibly, yes. An article I wrote for The Two Unfortunates pointed to lessons of past mistakes being revisited - whereas last season Holloway was able to halt the slide that appeared inevitable at Turf Moor, it may not have worked out as well this time around. The policy of a large pool of development players looks completely illogical from the outside looking in, and results since the start of September have been very disappointing. If Holloway has indeed 'lost the plot', then what was the cause? As stated in my contribution to No Nay Never, the integral factor is Holloway's relationship with Karl Oyston.

The Holloway-Oyston relationship is a highly unusual one, littered with contradictions. Holloway would profess to buy into Oyston's frugal ways in one press conference, before having a pop at his chairman's methods in the next. It may be erratic, but it showed that tension has always existed between the pair, regardless of how many times both would try to claim they had a healthy working relationship. Under many constraints, Holloway has arguably over-delivered in each and every season with the club. In terms of the budget provided to him, Holloway had no right to get us promoted in his first season, no right to get us anywhere near safety in his second season and no right to get us anywhere near Wembley last term.

However, there comes a point when one wonders if Holloway feels he can continue to exceed expectations and considers the damage his reputation may suffer should he be unable to do so. Shamelessly quoting my own No Nay Never contribution, "Blackpool’s modus operandi of doing things on the cheap requires the full buy-in of the manager. If Holloway has lost belief or grown tired of the chairman’s methods, then a parting of ways would be a logical outcome." Holloway has made no secret of his frustration at missing out on key targets in recent weeks with several comments highlighting DJ Campbell, Stephen Dobbie and Charlie Austin as players who Blackpool could have signed but refused to sanction the funds.

The issue of funds available must be the biggest bugbear for Holloway, given it was his leadership which took Blackpool to the Premier League and its associated millions. While the owners clawed back their loans and took at least an extra £17.5m on top out of the top flight rewards, Holloway was still asked to largely resort to raiding the bargain bins. The targets he had in mind to keep the Seasiders in the top flight were not delivered by the chairman, nor were the men Holloway wanted to secure an immediate return following relegation.

It's clear Karl Oyston feels players are over-valued, both in terms of fees and wages, and he has spoken out about not wanting money to flow straight out of the club into players' pockets. Yet it is rank hypocrisy when the Oyston family have extracted millions themselves. With this in mind, Holloway clearly has grounds for complaint at the lack of financial backing. Given the club could afford an £11m salary for Owen Oyston and an inflated £6.5m price for some land that the club sold to the Oystons a few years prior for just £650,000 - it is plain wrong to suggest the club could not afford the players who were Holloway's first choices.

Additionally, Holloway must be disappointed with the lack of progress with regards to a new training ground. It was one of his first demands after being appointed, yet despite public assurances from Oyston that a new facility would be provided, there is still nothing in sight. If there was ever a way in which to spend the Premier League windfall to secure a legacy for the club, then a top-rate training facility should have been it. As it is, Holloway has had to make do with a dilapidated and wind-swept Squires Gate - hardly ideal when the squad is as big as it's ever been.

And of course, there's the contract issue - the reason some will be quick to suggest Holloway is making this move out of greed. Holloway has said in recent interviews that he feels his contract is unfair and is too much in Oyston's favour. Given Holloway was happy to sign the contract originally, there should be little room to complain. However, when it seems as if every day is a battle for Holloway, be it trying to keep current players happy, attempt to sign his targets or worry about how training will be conducted in adverse conditions, it may be that it's simply reached the point where Holloway wonders if all this fighting is worth it.

If Holloway feels he's undervalued, and that the chairman is unwilling to budge on any of the issues affecting him, then who can really blame him for wanting to move on? It must be a draining experience and one he felt was no longer worth it. Holloway is not perfect - no manager ever is - and some of his behaviour in the final stages of his tenure hasn't been particularly becoming, but what he has achieved at this club should and will not be forgotten. Whoever follows him has big shoes to fill.

Over the coming week I'll be posting a few articles reflecting on the Holloway years, comprising a look at his seasons in charge, how he did as a manager, the character of the man and the legacy he leaves behind. For now, I would simply like to thank Holloway for the service he has given the club. It hasn't always been a smooth ride, but his best moments by far eclipse any of the rare negative stuff. Ultimately, he simply deserved more from a club he almost single-handedly transformed - a club which now faces uncertain times.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »
From what I've seen elsewhere Holloway still has roots down South and the fact is he will have a bigger wage and transfer budget at Palace. I think its a calculated risk for him.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #243 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
Not sure I think he should of stayed at Blackpool, small club low expectations.Decent players like Ince,Matt Phillips Super Kev :). He flopped at Leicester who are similar size to Palace. As for Blackpool I would go for someone like Karl Robinson, Micky Mellon, maybe Owen Coyle.
BOING BOING

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #244 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
Wolves losing at Burnley  :)
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: November 03, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Wolves losing at Burnley  :)

Mix in meltdown tonight.
Baggie in Southampton

reiss

« Reply #246 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »

Blues losing 1-0 at home to Ipswich

reiss

« Reply #247 on: November 03, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
Mix in meltdown tonight.

just had a look on the Mix, there are in meltdown. Some wanting Solbakken out already  :)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #248 on: November 03, 2012, 04:12:05 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday winning  :)

Ross Barkley

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
just had a look on the Mix, there are in meltdown. Some wanting Solbakken out already  :)

Havnt won in three before today.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC