Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 188401 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Gareth Barry retires
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/15/west-brom-closing-evertons-gareth-barry-hope-agree-deal-next/

Think it's about time we finally gave this player his own thread as it looks nearly done. Reading the logic of some fans for this signing I am actually warming to it! Everton fans seem gutted. Strangely, using Hampshirebaggie's logic that it means a younger player doesn't block the path of Harper and Field it's actually a signing with a bigger vision to the future and using the academy, if we think Pulis is committed to bringing those two along...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:15:56 PM by Political Cake »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:02:16 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/15/west-brom-closing-evertons-gareth-barry-hope-agree-deal-next/

Think it's about time we finally gave this player his own thread as it looks nearly done. Reading the logic of some fans for this signing I am actually warming to it! Everton fans seem gutted. Strangely, using Hampshirebaggie's logic that it means a younger player doesn't block the path of Harper and Field it's actually a signing with a bigger vision to the future and using the academy, if we think Pulis is committed to bringing those two along...

I think its a smart signing if we think that HArper and Field are going to progress.  Its lets them go out on loan and we can keep an eye on their progression.  If they don't make the progression then we sign someone for the longer term next summer or the summer after that.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
My worry is as always with this sort of signing that it's another Lambert/Hartson/Townsend fiasco as the player just wants a final top up for his pension.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
This will bring the age of the squad down .

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Barry is definitely an upgrade on Fletcher, and if his fitness was going to be an issue, I'm sure our award winning medical team would flag this. I'm happy with Barry coming in for a year although I would have much preferred a younger model like Delph who is in his prime years. Ultimately though, this signing definitely adds to our overall quality. Barry is certainly no squad filler the way Gardner was.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Have to admit being sceptical about potentially signing Barry, but the Everton fans do seem genuinely upset about the move.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/25462-gareth-barry/page-22

If you go back to the very beginning of the thread, they were saying the same negative things as us! I have my own opinion but so far, TP seems to have acquired two good additions to the first team so far so he seems to know what he wants....... we need to get behind GB if it happens. 
MAGA!

ben_westbrom

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »
He's hardly exciting, but we desperately need some more people in.  He's experienced and can do a job in the league. Also seems like a good character who won't rock the boat.

I'd be happy to sign him for a season or two.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:33:21 AM »
Presume it'll be 1+1 in our favour?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
Has been a great player down the years, little bit annoyed at signing 36yr old players but does it matter if he is still good enough?

Think he could turn out to be an astute signing personally, bring some calmness and ball retention to the team.

Gareth Barry just doesnt really ever give the ball away.

Ill give him his chance thats for sure
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »
Strange how Everton fans who've watched him for a few seasons are sad to see him go and a few online football websites calling it an astute signing and could be a great fit; and then our lot foaming at the mouth.

Let him kick a ball before you kick him.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
Strange how Everton fans who've watched him for a few seasons are sad to see him go and a few online football websites calling it an astute signing and could be a great fit; and then our lot foaming at the mouth.

Let him kick a ball before you kick him.

I believe most on here are. I don't look at any of the comments on the social media platforms, but I can imagine the sort of people commenting on those so I would take it with a pinch of the old salt, Psalm

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:20 AM »
Although maybe not the player i would of gone for i can definitely see the logic in signing Barry and think he will be a decent player for us.

One of our biggest weaknesses is our ball retention, Barry is twice the player that Fletcher was for actual use of the ball (Fletcher had other attributes better than Barry)

I would imagine he will sit in and Livermore will be pushed forward more for the 'box to box' role and i wonder if we will sign another midfielder too as even if Barry does sign, that leaves us Barry, Yacob, Morrison and Livermore, be good to have extra competition.

Pulis seems keen to get Field and those out on loan which i think makes sense, get him in the Championship, 30 to 40 games consistently will do him good ready for a proper first team challenge for us next season, it toughen him up rather than the odd minutes here and there with us.

What i have seen Field looks at though he is potentially a good player but not sure he is ready yet, just havent seen him do enough but that comes with experience.

Barry never had any pace to lose so his game was never based around that, you sign Barry to keep the ball, etc and i think silly as it sounds if we just Barry for his ability and how well he played upto and including last season and left the age bit out, i think its a decent signing.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:52:14 AM by Albion79 »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:42 AM »
Not saying its a bad signing( or a good one) time will tell but considering what TP has een saying all summer it is a surpriing one as he neither brings pace  nor does he bring the age of the squad down. To me it is bordderline desperation and quite possibly says we are nowhere near getting other targets in, also perhaps Field is off on loan ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
Its not that Barry is a terrible signing by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure he still has some legs in him at 36.

The problem is that for me, as a team that never has the ball, I wanted to see as much % of the transfer budget as possible bringing in a centre midfielder.

This signing means that this now looks very unlikely to happen

keithowba86

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »
Ill be honest... had my reservations myself, however... have a look at this and tell me hes not what we need to hit teams quickly on the break....

https://youtu.be/sA9A4DmiU0w

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
I'm not keen, I think that at 36 he's too old personally, however it fits with TP's requirements of an experienced British player, surely there's somebody about nearer 30!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
Happy with this to be honest for a year. Better technical footballer than Fletcher and a top professional, hopefully is still a top player.

Seems to be popular with Everton fans, I didn't realise he appeared for them last season as many times as he did to be honest.
the regime don't like it man

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »
He's at the training ground having his medical.

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
Just the sort of box to box midfielder we've been looking for! You call this being progressive Mr Pulis?

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
Ill be honest... had my reservations myself, however... have a look at this and tell me hes not what we need to hit teams quickly on the break....

https://youtu.be/sA9A4DmiU0w

Spot on mate. Think as football fans we all want stella signings, but when you sit back and think about it, it makes sense. If he's still got the legs he can do a job, his reading of the game and positional sense in those clips is class, add that to his ball retention. Lovely left foot like Brunt

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
Just the sort of box to box midfielder we've been looking for! You call this being progressive Mr Pulis?

Wait till the end of the window then see what happens. If Fletcher was here, Barry wouldn't be coming, just a direct replacement. Pulis is worried about leaders, he's got one off and on the pitch in Barry.

Because of Evans injury issues, this gives Pulis peace of mind that he has this type of player he can count on.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »
Have to admit being sceptical about potentially signing Barry, but the Everton fans do seem genuinely upset about the move.

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/topic/25462-gareth-barry/page-22

If you go back to the very beginning of the thread, they were saying the same negative things as us! I have my own opinion but so far, TP seems to have acquired two good additions to the first team so far so he seems to know what he wants....... we need to get behind GB if it happens.

Those Everton fans will soon have forgotten him. He's only got another year or 2 at the most at top level. Koeman has got his head screwed on. He's miles ahead of the likes of Pulis. He's already got Klaasen in, last season's Ajax captain who will cover far more ground, score more goals than Barry ever did.  And if he pulls off the Sigurdsson signing, he's adding even more creativity to his midfield. I really think Everton are going places and will play some really good football to watch. Getting rid of Barry is a logical part of that process. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
Clever, low risk signing this IMO if it's a minimal fee and a 1+1 contract. Would like to see a more dynamic center midfield bought in as well but think he will add some much needed quality on the ball in the middle of the park.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
We are presuming he will play centre midfield? Why not LB?

Does he live in Merseyside? Just thinking of Evans' car sharing options...
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
We are presuming he will play centre midfield? Why not LB?

Does he live in Merseyside? Just thinking of Evans' car sharing options...

He won't be here so it won't matter