Poll

What will be our outlay on players in Gouchan Lai/John Williams first summer at the helm

30 Million
31 (51.7%)
35-40 Million
23 (38.3%)
50 Million
4 (6.7%)
50-60 Million
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: March 20, 2017, 12:11:41 PM

Author Topic: How much money can you see us spending in the summer. ??  (Read 28629 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: How much money can you see us spending in the summer. ??
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »
I think we're now getting close to having to replace some of the members of our ageing squad. So it's highly likely that we'll need to spend money on transfer fees just to stay where we are.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Big test for the new owners now to replace so many ageing and misfiring components of the first eleven.

Also, due to the relegation run of form, they will need to generate some enthusiasm again - was hoping the successful 3/4 of the season would carry through the feel good factor but that's now shot.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
New owners don't seem to be all that bothered with the club if attending games is  a pointer. Happy to see club stay in Prem with little or no investment just like Jp, in the black on previous window 10 million spent on Jake 12 million received for fatboy.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
However much it is, I would rather it wasn't Pulls spending it. We had a purple patch in the mid season but his limitations are clear to see again now.
His work here is done, let him go and pick up another lame duck and let us gamble on someone with genuine ambition.
This league is so open these days we should be looking at exploiting that and not settling for tedious mediocrity.
He's done a great job, fair play to him, but he has nothing more to offer.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
Can you really see decent players coming here to play for a club with little or no ambition, just to survive in the Premier League. Hopefully Mr Lai can pull out all the stops and show the fans what ambitions he has for the club.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
However much it is, I would rather it wasn't Pulls spending it. We had a purple patch in the mid season but his limitations are clear to see again now.
His work here is done, let him go and pick up another lame duck and let us gamble on someone with genuine ambition.
This league is so open these days we should be looking at exploiting that and not settling for tedious mediocrity.
He's done a great job, fair play to him, but he has nothing more to offer.

Agreed

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »
I think we'll spend more than last summer. I think around 50m. Although we must have spent about that last year.

Would be nice to see a quality striker and defender brought in. Think we're ok in mf.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
I think we'll spend more than last summer. I think around 50m. Although we must have spent about that last year.

Would be nice to see a quality striker and defender brought in. Think we're ok in mf.
spent just over 20million on player's over last two windows.
Chadli 13million
Philips 5.5 million.
Nyom 4 million.
Livermore 10 million
Outlay 32.5 million
Transfer received for fat boy 12million
Total spend  20.5 million

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
I would stick with my estimate of a couple weeks ago of a total budget of for fees of about £50m assuming no major sales and that isn't going to change regardless of what we think of the inadequacies of the current squad.

The bigger cause for concern is that any improvement in the squad will be more than swallowed by the aging process of those currently in the squad and high wastage rate that seems to dog forwards and creative players in Pulis teams.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
I would stick with my estimate of a couple weeks ago of a total budget of for fees of about £50m assuming no major sales and that isn't going to change regardless of what we think of the inadequacies of the current squad.

The bigger cause for concern is that any improvement in the squad will be more than swallowed by the aging process of those currently in the squad and high wastage rate that seems to dog forwards and creative players in Pulis teams.
can't see us spending anywhere near that amount of money even though that would be the investment needed to improve squad :'(

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
what do you make of John Williams end of season  message regarding the upcoming transfer window.
 http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/885569431?-11200:789:0

call me cynical but to mention the budget depends on where we finish now that 8th spot is under threat seem like a dampener of  expectations.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
Hey Paulo let's reduce your 20:5 million by selling Gardner Poco & the diver,say 5 million?
Leaves a 15 mil spend.
I think we will have two major signings c45 mil for am & CB plus say 5 million for lb.
Plus a surprise signing of 25 million for a euro striker.
Total around 75 mil,which we can afford and then I think we can be challenging Everton.
Obviously,we will bring through say three of our youngsters into the squad.
Happy days.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »
Hey Paulo let's reduce your 20:5 million by selling Gardner Poco & the diver,say 5 million?
Leaves a 15 mil spend.
I think we will have two major signings c45 mil for am & CB plus say 5 million for lb.
Total around 75 mil,which we can afford and then I think we can be challenging Everton.
Happy days.
hey liver you keep forgetting to place a decimal point after the first digit. ;D
75m or 7.5m

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
Oh yeah,I forgot,😯

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »
Leaves a 15 mil spend.
Happy days.

I hope and pray you put a post on here come 1st sept saying 'I told you so'  ;D

Me personally though, i cant see us spending more than 40/50 mil at a push (including funds from players we may sell)... Williams comments about our budget depending on our finishing place isn't really promising for me... hopefully I'm either proven wrong or the money they do spend  (if not much) is spent on the 'perfect' players we need for our set up to be able to walk straight into the first team and improve us.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2017, 12:41:24 AM »
I am loathed to point out that the £2m per place of premier league prize money makes very little actual difference to next season's player budget. Our worst possible finish is 10th some of the money is earmarked for player bonuses in any event so it isn't making much of a difference to the bottom line. The £2m we got from Blues for Gardner is profit given that he came on a free and as such is as least as significant as any slight variation in our league finish.

We will not spend £75m without a major player sale or sales and in that case we are spending money to replace key players from the existing squad so while it would be an eye catching number the truth is it might not have bought much of an improvement. The money is there for between £40m to £50m worth of fees depending on what we need to do on wages.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
I am loathed to point out that the £2m per place of premier league prize money makes very little actual difference to next season's player budget. Our worst possible finish is 10th some of the money is earmarked for player bonuses in any event so it isn't making much of a difference to the bottom line. The £2m we got from Blues for Gardner is profit given that he came on a free and as such is as least as significant as any slight variation in our league finish.

We will not spend £75m without a major player sale or sales and in that case we are spending money to replace key players from the existing squad so while it would be an eye catching number the truth is it might not have bought much of an improvement. The money is there for between £40m to £50m worth of fees depending on what we need to do on wages.

Agree with everything you say apart from 10th is the worst we can finish. The worst possible finish is 11th. If Leicester beat Spurs on Thursday they will have 46 points, If Bournemouth beat Leicester on Sunday they will have 48 points, If Soton lose to Man utd and beat Stoke they will also have 48 points. Assuming we don't get any more points then we would drop 3 places to 11th.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »

I can see us accepting a silly Chinese offer for Rondon if they come back in for him.  That would make sense as the "Chinese premium" would boost the pot.  I can also see Morrison going (despite his regrettable new contract), maybe to Celtic (a swap for Armstrong?).

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Morning everyone,I would just like to say that I don't think that us spending say around 75 million is beyond us,our new owner I think will make a contribution,he will know now that we can challenge for the Europa league and that we need better quality players to do so.
He should have confidence in pulis and the chairman etc all and he will want some success.
With more money coming into the club he will promote us in China and I expect more sponsorship will be forthcoming.
After all villa spent over 80 million last year alone.so why can't we?

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
Morning everyone,I would just like to say that I don't think that us spending say around 75 million is beyond us,our new owner I think will make a contribution,he will know now that we can challenge for the Europa league and that we need better quality players to do so.
He should have confidence in pulis and the chairman etc all and he will want some success.
With more money coming into the club he will promote us in China and I expect more sponsorship will be forthcoming.
After all villa spent over 80 million last year alone.so why can't we?

Because they are idiots and look where its got them  ;D

It shouldn't be about how much we spend, aslong as what we do spend is spent on the correct players... there are bargains out there, there are cheaper players who can come to the premier league and do a good job... not easy i know but i hope the scouting team have done their job and also persuaded pulis to atleast take a good look overseas instead of searching for the small expensive (mostly overpriced) pool of English players.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
Given that we don't appear to want to go over £3.5m for Taylor it suggests our budget is still going to very tight, anyone thinking we will spend big are likely to be very disappointed come the end of the summer window.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »
Given that we don't appear to want to go over £3.5m for Taylor it suggests our budget is still going to very tight, anyone thinking we will spend big are likely to be very disappointed come the end of the summer window.

Worrying that is, chased him for two years and won't pay a minimal fee for a left back, an area that we have made a mess of for years. We missed out on Antonio for money reasons, what a signing that would've been
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
Totally agree with you Adam.
What i meant about Villa was that they had spent £ 80 mill because they had the money then,and they messed up.

We have much more money now, arguably more than them now,but i think we will spend big this year,we will surprise a few people,i hope so anyway.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
We should be easily capable of spending £50m. But based on the past few joke transfer windows and TP's Charlie Taylor comments I can't see a net spend of any more than £20m.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »

Absolutely correct, if people are looking at net spend of £30m +, they are going to be VERY disappointed, IMHO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!