Author Topic: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke  (Read 488992 times)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Official: James McClean signs for Stoke
« Reply #1350 on: February 20, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
You (and others) have made a similar point on more than one occasion. There are others at the club who are ahead of him both in terms of sendings off and bookings, yet some still push this line that "we need people who can stay on the pitch" or "He's a sending off waiting to happen". To me, this is just making up stuff to justify either a dislike for or a predudice against the player. If the people with more talent in our squad than McClean showed as much commitment and effort, we would be a lot further up the table in my opinion.
I’ve supported McLean from day one, as you seem to have picked the quotes from my post to accuse of being prejudice to the player, as you can also see I commented on his effort and desire. I have nothing against him at all. Fact is though he is a hot head and he is often a fouls waiting to happen, he may have escaped bookings but as has been pointed out already on 3 separate occasions this seasons his fouls or mistakes have cost us points. He’s played 812minutes this season and managed to commit 18 fouls that’s a foul every 45mins, compare that to the entire back 4.
Hegazi - 18 fouls in 2397minutes a foul every 133minutes
Evans - 20 fouls 1903minutes foul every 95minutes
Gibbs - 14 fouls in 1899minutes foul every 135minutes
Dawson - 24 fouls in 1599minutes foul every 66minutes

Rodriguez and Rondon have committed the most fouls in the squad:
Rodriguez 33 fouls in 1975minutes foul every 59minutes
Rondon 30 fouls in 1822minutes foul every 60minutes

In fact you can go through though whole squad and struggle to find a player with a worse record of fouls than McLean, just because he’s avoided cards doesn’t mean he’s not a foul waiting to happen.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1351 on: February 20, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »
I’ve supported McLean from day one, as you seem to have picked the quotes from my post to accuse of being prejudice to the player, as you can also see I commented on his effort and desire. I have nothing against him at all. Fact is though he is a hot head and he is often a fouls waiting to happen, he may have escaped bookings but as has been pointed out already on 3 separate occasions this seasons his fouls or mistakes have cost us points. He’s played 812minutes this season and managed to commit 18 fouls that’s a foul every 45mins, compare that to the entire back 4.

In fact you can go through though whole squad and struggle to find a player with a worse record of fouls than McLean, just because he’s avoided cards doesn’t mean he’s not a foul waiting to happen.

The day a players footballing ability is defined by how many fouls a player makes you might have a point.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1352 on: February 20, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
The day a players footballing ability is defined by how many fouls a player makes you might have a point.
very similar to the argument of how many cards he’s had then. It’s his lack of footballing ability contributing towards his fouling, the point being made that we need players that can be relied on not ones giving away stupid fouls which he has consistently done, 2 of which have cost us points this season. And supporting the fact he is foul waiting to happen
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:52:57 PM by NathWBA »
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1353 on: February 20, 2018, 09:02:22 PM »
Which 9 points are they then?

If you went back to the initial cause of goals the fact is I am right or close to being right -

Newcastle - his mistake cost us a goal - 2 points
Watford - lost the ball in the corner then gave a week a needless free kick - 2 points
Arsenal - remember what he did in the wall - 2 points
Spurs - lost possession when it was easier to keep it - 2 points

There's 8 off the top of my head

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1354 on: February 20, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
If you went back to the initial cause of goals the fact is I am right or close to being right -

Newcastle - his mistake cost us a goal - 2 points
Watford - lost the ball in the corner then gave a week a needless free kick - 2 points
Arsenal - remember what he did in the wall - 2 points
Spurs - lost possession when it was easier to keep it - 2 points

There's 8 off the top of my head
Are you also keeping track of how many goals other players are costing us?

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1355 on: February 20, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »
very similar to the argument of how many cards he’s had then. It’s his lack of footballing ability contributing towards his fouling, the point being made that we need players that can be relied on not ones giving away stupid fouls which he has consistently done, 2 of which have cost us points this season. And supporting the fact he is foul waiting to happen

I've never pointed to his cards as a measure of his ability. Nor do I believe the actions of one man conceding a free kick can be seen as the single reason we concede a goal. It's a contributing factor but just one of a number that lead to conceding a goal. Surely as a manager you point these out to a player and if he persists he's dropped. Not one manager has done that... Before the calls of 'It shouldn't be a managers job to point that out'... that is exactly the job of a manager.

To measure the nature of all of the fouls of the players would require a significant amount of work. Tactical fouls have a whole different meaning to needless fouls. Sooner take a player with 100 fouls of which 75 are tactical than a player with 50 fouls of which 10 are tactical.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1356 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:39 PM »

Yacob and Field.  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1357 on: April 15, 2018, 11:04:44 PM »
I've just watched MOTD and their analysis of the game and it echoed the brilliant performance of James McClean, as well as the rest of the team.

Out of nowhere, his delivery today was absolutely fantastic (something that we have very rarely seen in an Albion shirt) and his effort to get up and down the pitch was spot on.

He should have been in the team earlier IMO, as although he lacks real quality, his desire and appetite for the game has always been there.

He'll be an interesting one next season. Still not sure about him going forward but could be a useful squad player in the Champ, depending on who the new manager is and what style of football he will play. For example, I doubt he would fit into a football team set up by Dean Smith.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:29 PM »
Always worries me with his tackling I thought his best game today for us,would be good in the championship.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
I have always linked McClean as a player and feel he is somewhat underrated.  A must keep player for next year for me.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1360 on: April 16, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »
I have just re read part the last couple of pages of this thread with some amusement; we still seem to be divided on James.

I have always liked him as a player. He does well for country and tries hard for WBA. Like others I am sometimes frustrated that he occasionally 'loses it', but you cannot fault his commitment. He has cost us a few points this season but he is certainly no alone in that.

Thought he played well yesterday and fizzed a few decent balls into the box, pity we didn't get on the end of them..

Personally I hope he stays with us next year, he will certainly scare a few that's for sure!
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1361 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
 I thought he was ably aided and abetted by Gibbs and Brunt.
Linked well with these pair and always looking for the ball.
By contrast we had Phillips, Nyom and Livermore on the other side.
Most of our best works from open play came down the left.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1362 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
I'd be surprised if there's much genuine interest in McClean from the premier after this season. Cost us a whole bunch of points the first half of the season. No doubting his commitment but he's fundamentally not a very talented footballer. He's got a great engine but otherwise he's simply not good enough or consistent enough on the ball - even in the championship I'd be disappointed if we couldn't find better.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1363 on: April 29, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
I cannot believe a Championship club would take him let alone a Premier League club.  I actually don't care who leaves sure I would hate to lose the whole squad because that is just too big of a task but one or two either way makes no difference and if McClean was one of them I would back a blind squirrel armed with a pin and an out of date copy the Rothmans Football Almanac to find an upgrade.   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:06:58 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1364 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:58 AM »
Bye James don't let that door hit you on the way out. Great shame. We have all rallied behind him and supported him even when let's face it he has been a hot head and a idiot. He won't get a premier league move. In fact it wouldn't shock me if he ended up in the MLS because right before we contacted him and his agent about moving here he was very close to joining the New York red bulls. Getting relegated is a great way of us getting rid of these plodders that TP brought in who are work rate but no quality. If im not mistaken he has only got the one assist and a handful of goals since joining. For a winger regardless of legaue what have you that's atrocious

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »
See you later sid....

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1366 on: April 30, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/29/james-mcclean-dont-call-us-snakes-if-we-leave-west-brom/

What a stupid comment to make at a time like this, I really like(d) McClean but given this 'omission' and his social media full of Celtic support today, seems like he's looking for a move.

Not the wisest thing to say, but it's not like others haven't said this in private anyway. He's been a Celtic supporter for years, so hardly angling for a move now. He's one of the ones more likely to be here next season.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1367 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
He's speaking the truth though.  I'd say a good portion of those players given the chance will be off in the summer. Even the long term players like Foster, Dawson, Morrison and Brunt would leave for Premier League clubs even if some of them have said they are staying. If they were offered more money or a longer contract they would jump and you can't really blame them.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1368 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:43 AM »
I think he just blew a career as an Ambassador, which requires tact and diplomacy
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:17:47 AM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1369 on: April 30, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
He's speaking the truth though.  I'd say a good portion of those players given the chance will be off in the summer. Even the long term players like Foster, Dawson, Morrison and Brunt would leave for Premier League clubs even if some of them have said they are staying. If they were offered more money or a longer contract they would jump and you can't really blame them.

For all McCleans faults being honest about why he does things is not one of them. What he has said is bang on the money, we have threads every year looking at players who have been relegated and which ones we would pick why would we be any different.

As for the long term players they  have settled in the area and have family, are they really going to uproot there family for one last pay check when they have done very nicely from the our time in the prem. The only exception here would be Dawson who has another two contracts left in him.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1370 on: April 30, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
I cannot believe a Championship club would take him let alone a Premier League club.  I actually don't care who leaves sure I would hate to lose the whole squad because that is just too big of a task but one or two either way makes no difference and if McClean was one of them I would back a blind squirrel armed with a pin and an out of date copy the Rothmans Football Almanac to find an upgrade.

Fully agree. The upgrade is already with us . Olly Burke who needs games and will flourish. Unfortunately I think we may need 2 wingers as Matty Phillips is the one I don't want to lose

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1371 on: April 30, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »
Said nothing wrong for me either, just saying it as it is.

To be honest some of us have given him pelters during his time here so I wouldn't blame him going. The one that sticks in my mind was a few months ago when he was linked to Derby, and someone said that they would drive him there. James then tweeted that it was not necessary as he has a BMW, Audi and Range Rover, so can drive himself! Nice humour, but it does show that he reads the fan sites.

I can see him in a Celtic shirt though......
MAGA!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1372 on: April 30, 2018, 10:43:52 AM »
Said nothing wrong for me either, just saying it as it is.

To be honest some of us have given him pelters during his time here so I wouldn't blame him going. The one that sticks in my mind was a few months ago when he was linked to Derby, and someone said that they would drive him there. James then tweeted that it was not necessary as he has a BMW, Audi and Range Rover, so can drive himself! Nice humour, but it does show that he reads the fan sites.

I can see him in a Celtic shirt though......

the fan driving thing was solely on twitter not a fans forum (as far as I recall) but you are right about him getting pelters from fans, some even gave him pelters for not passing against West Ham when he scored!
Last week against Man Utd he played really well and was up for MOTM along with Foster but he hardly got a mention in the after match thread.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1373 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
For all McCleans faults being honest about why he does things is not one of them. What he has said is bang on the money, we have threads every year looking at players who have been relegated and which ones we would pick why would we be any different.

As for the long term players they  have settled in the area and have family, are they really going to uproot there family for one last pay check when they have done very nicely from the our time in the prem. The only exception here would be Dawson who has another two contracts left in him.
Didn't take any responsibility though did he? Players rarely do, as he says, it's just a living to most of them, sign of the times.
Makes you admire the humility and loyalty of players like Brunt and Foster, both of whom are far better footballers than McLean, yet choose to stay on. And, yes, I know they are older and coming towards the end of their careers but both could still find work in the Prem.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1374 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
I actually like McClean but think the timing of this is pretty bad.

What he said is quite obvious, there are a few footballers who have a sense of loyalty but like he says the vast majority its a job, its a short career and they go where the money and security is, its naive to think otherwise.

However his timing in saying this serves no purpose, we have gave ourselves the slightest of slight chances we may perform a miracle, its 98% sure not going to happen but thats 1% better than around three weeks ago.

The Cyrille day and period around that brought the club together off the pitch, but the last few weeks for the first time in ages there is a bit of a bond between players and fans, we can see they are trying, there is a bizarre positive attitude, at atmosphere, so comments like McCleans, although correct and badly timed.

On Saturday for example, some fans will now be looking for even more reason to give him pelters for slightest mistake, he should of just kept his mouth shut until we were down and then spoke out if he really felt the need to state the obvious.