Author Topic: Darren Fletcher moves to Stoke City  (Read 366838 times)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darren Fletcher
« Reply #1125 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
I tend to never get on players backs and normally stick up for them, even players like Carson but surely Fletcher can not be with us next season.

Absolutely shocking

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
I tend to never get on players backs and normally stick up for them, even players like Carson but surely Fletcher can not be with us next season.

Absolutely shocking

Realistically he will be with us.

At 34 years old I personally think he's too old for such an intense position. Without possession we need someone quick in the middle. Personally I would phase him out for Field as I believe he is good enough, or at least buy another CM.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1127 on: May 16, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
The guy needs releasing, the only person holding us back more than Fletcher is the one who insists on picking him every game.

Hopefully the reason he hasn't signed a new contract yet is that he has a bit of dignity and knows his time is up.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1128 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »
Time to hang up his boots.
Go into coaching.
He can talk a good game.
The rest has past him by.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1129 on: May 16, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
If we are to progress he has to go. However the really terrible thing is the decision is not the club's it's his because we gave him the option of an extra year if he played a sufficient number of games probably because no one thought that he would be this bad and still get game time. No one obviously understood how being unable to pass, run or tackle didn't stop Pulis picking a player in central midfield.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1130 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:15 PM »
He'll be here next season there's no worries there, no other club would be stupid enough to pay him over £50k a week, his legs are gone.

Yet another fabulous plot of our great manager to play him for so many games this season despite him being dire for the majority to trigger the automatic extension.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1131 on: May 17, 2017, 12:09:24 AM »
The guy needs releasing, the only person holding us back more than Fletcher is the one who insists on picking him every game.

Hopefully the reason he hasn't signed a new contract yet is that he has a bit of dignity and knows his time is up.

Best comment iv ever seen on this forum. Spot on.
Hopefully he's realeased following the last game
O Albion we love you

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: May 17, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
Lost count of the number of times he was caught in possession last night
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: May 17, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
Starting to remind me of Andy Townsend.
"This crack is really moreish."

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1134 on: May 17, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Harsh !  :o , I believe Fletchers time is coming to an end here ( certainly as a regular) but he's nothing like Townsend was.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1135 on: May 20, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
I'm a bit confused about his contract - is it up this summer? If so; thanks Darren for your efforts and when we signed you we needed you. All the best in the future, goodbye!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1136 on: May 20, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
I'm a bit confused about his contract - is it up this summer? If so; thanks Darren for your efforts and when we signed you we needed you. All the best in the future, goodbye!

His contract included an option in his favour if he played a minimum number of games across the last two seasons. He therefore has the right to another year although we can't compel him to stay. The fact that he hasn't just signed the extension would suggest that he is seeking an improvement on the existing terms i.e. more money or a longer deal or possibly both. 

It is an awful situation to be in because the club has zero control and the player can turn us inside out on a whim. The thought of him trundling around the midfield for another season as our top earner is dreadful or worse still 12 months of that followed by 12 months of bench warming in the Championship.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1137 on: May 20, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
Pulis saying he thinks he will sign a new contract. Using the word new worries me, implies it will be for more than just the years extension he is currently entitled to both in wages and term of years. This is going to be an utter travesty

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1138 on: May 20, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Honestly think he's a better player than given credit for on this forum.

Some of the criticism on this thread is justified.

Much (in my opinion) is utter drivel.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1139 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:21 PM »

Way way over the top Townsend is one of the worst players to ever play for us. Fletcher for me deserves a new deal even if he isnt a regular next season. In my opinion the ideal contract would be a one year deal with the promise of joining the coaching set up at the end of his contract

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1140 on: May 20, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »
Honestly think he's a better player than given credit for on this forum.

Some of the criticism on this thread is justified.

Much (in my opinion) is utter drivel.

Totally agree. Think he's also going to offer valuable help with youngsters such as Field

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1141 on: May 20, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Is it worth paying someone £50k a week to be good with the youngsters and a good influence round the club? Need more on the pitch for that I'm afraid

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: May 20, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
Is it worth paying someone £50k a week to be good with the youngsters and a good influence round the club? Need more on the pitch for that I'm afraid

He's also the captain and has started almost every game this season. As the comment above, I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

I do agree however that we need something a bit different/more creative in midfield, but if I'm honest I can't see us going for another centre midfielder when we've already signed Livermore, and also have Yacob and Field in the squad.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: May 20, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
For how uncreative he is, he is not nearly solid enough in possession.

Lingers on the balls, turns into trouble and generally gives the ball away far too often.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
He's also the captain and has started almost every game this season. As the comment above, I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some are making out.

I do agree however that we need something a bit different/more creative in midfield, but if I'm honest I can't see us going for another centre midfielder when we've already signed Livermore, and also have Yacob and Field in the squad.

Agree with you, never hides, always gives his team mates the option.
Baggie in Southampton

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1145 on: May 21, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
I think he's being picked because he has the kind of attitude and commitment Pulis admires. Very much a team man, who will support and encourage all around him. Townsend never showed any kind of commitment to WBA.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1146 on: May 21, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
For how uncreative he is, he is not nearly solid enough in possession.

Lingers on the balls, turns into trouble and generally gives the ball away far too often.

Yeah, but apart from that he's OK!  :)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: May 21, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
Yeah, but apart from that he's OK!  :)

Oh yeah, other than that, top drawer.  ;D

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1148 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
He really is past his sell by date, hopefully he will go to somewhere like Celtic to end his career

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1149 on: May 22, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
Agree with you, never hides, always gives his team mates the option.

There was a couple of times when he lost possession early on against Swansea when he was desperately looking for a forward ball to play and he had no options.  After those early hiccups I thought he was quite solid the rest of the game.