Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5164598 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14625 on: May 21, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
Just to speculate here:

Some people in this thread have said Lai wouldn't be happy in mid-table obscurity and would want progress? 
Firstly, based on last season (when I assume his group were monitoring the club/sale) we finished in 16th, so in that sense there is clear progress - 6 places higher and more prize money.

Secondly, who is to say he wouldn't be pleased with mid-table obscurity? For all we know the business model of the club may be to avoid relegation and cash out yearly similar to what Peace was doing previously. It seemed to work for Peace - besides, there's a new TV deal coming from Africa which will pump even more money than before into the league making the money even higher.

I'm not posting this as a pro/anti Pulis piece, but more from the business side of things I don't think it's fair to assume that Lai may be unhappy with Pulis in regards to finishing mid-table. We don't know the financial specifics which I assume will be the main interest of Lai.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14626 on: May 21, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
Lai said upon his arrival that things would remain similar to the previous regime.

I have no belief so far that they have any ambition to push the club on any further than where it currently is.

I think they will be happy for us to be a mid-table Premier League side that floats around in the top half.

Let's be realistic - without the mega millions - what else is there for us to achieve?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14627 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:16 PM »
Lai said upon his arrival that things would remain similar to the previous regime.

I have no belief so far that they have any ambition to push the club on any further than where it currently is.

I think they will be happy for us to be a mid-table Premier League side that floats around in the top half.

Let's be realistic - without the mega millions - what else is there for us to achieve?

Sadly so. As a business structure, this season has been a roaring success. In the entertainment business, it has been rank awful, but the money men aren't fussed about that, they would gladly see gates of 15,000 each week if we kept the money rolling in.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14628 on: May 21, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
2 points out of a possible 24 (last 8 games) , speaks volumes. Without results, Pulis teams offer nothing to fans hence why so many are turning on him again tonight. Afraid our scitzofrenic relationship will continue until such a bad run leaves us in the bottom three mid season or until the clubs hierarchy decide a full ground is more important than the realiability of staying up with other Pulis - no time soon then.

Said before.  Pulis overalls has assembled a solid squad , well capable of staying up and well capable of playing better football than we did for most of the season !
Glad for a break watching em for a bit  Tbf - I enjoyed watching about a third of the season overall.

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14629 on: May 21, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »

The only thing  I can see is deciding to not focus on the league and just make runs on the cups. But then people will want the manager fired when West Brom go out in the quarterfinals of each cup  and we finish 16th.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14630 on: May 21, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
Are they doing half season - season tickets again next year? If so, can you get one for the first half of the season only? Seems fair as there's no point watching a Pulis team much beyond January!
 :D

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14631 on: May 21, 2017, 08:52:51 PM »
The only thing  I can see is deciding to not focus on the league and just make runs on the cups. But then people will want the manager fired when West Brom go out in the quarterfinals of each cup  and we finish 16th.

If we are playing football that isn't awful to watch and induces the desire to gouge your eyes from their sockets, then I doubt they will.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14632 on: May 21, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
Exactly. From a business perspective, Tony has achieved his objective (to avoid relegation) and even bettered it, by achieving a relatively high league position for ourselves.

However, for the actual fans, large chunks of the past couple of seasons have been absolute dross. The football has been on the whole very poor, but when you're getting decent results you can actually deal with it as you can enjoy a victory or accept the draw. When it's successive dross performances AND negative results however, the massive cracks show themselves all too clearly.

It doesn't help when thousands upon thousands of people pile in with their new season ticket purchases every year whilst still moaning about the leader of their football team however. Sometimes hitting people/companies in the pocket is the only language they understand. If you don't appreciate the way your team is being run at the time, stop financing it until acceptable changes are forthcoming. Otherwise, don't moan too much when things stay the same.

P.S - I know that money from tickets is not as important as it used to be, but it still has an impact for a club our size and no-one wants their team to play in front of a half empty stadium.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14633 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

You are able to do both...

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14634 on: May 21, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »

Most of those who support retaining him seem to think not  :o

DivinePast

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14635 on: May 21, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »

You could if you have a big budget and can afford a deep roster. I don't see a non top 6 team in the Premier League who went deep in both cups and did pretty good in the league too this year but I could have missed it.

Southampton made a final but they had the opportunity to have a deeper roster because they had Europa League football to attract players and even they gave up in the FA cup and failed in Europe.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:19:25 PM by DivinePast »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14636 on: May 21, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
It's grim on here...

He's just had his best ever season as a Premier League manager.

There won't be a P45 waiting for him in China, it'll be a new 2 year deal. Whether he signs it will depend on how much money they give him to spend.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14637 on: May 21, 2017, 09:54:07 PM »
It's grim on here...

There won't be a P45 waiting for him in China, it'll be a new 2 year deal. Whether he signs it will depend on how much money they give him to spend.

It's only a reflection on the sh*te we're seeing week in week out.

Not everyone is blinded by the league position.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14638 on: May 21, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
Everytime we stay in this league it's been a good season. It's sad but that's the reality of it.
the regime don't like it man

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14639 on: May 21, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
It's grim on here...

The Business Model under which the Chinese have bought the Club hinges greatly on attracting a "sizeable Chinese following".... that will not and can not happen with the Pulis style of football being played...

So I'm frankly not sure how long he can possibly last.
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14640 on: May 21, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »

I take issue with that. I preferred his first season up with Stoke. I thought that it was almost genius in the modern game how he got absolutely 100% out of that group of players and managed to stay up, and I really admired him for it in absolute honesty. It was quite entertaining at times to see how people would try to combat their style too.

Now it is just stale and boring with us. He has more resources and a lot more experience in this league. To still be plodding along like this, not showing much of any attacking ambition in a large majority of games is quite simply, very poor. He may keep us up for another boring season or two, but at what cost? Fans falling out of love with their team? Great management indeed.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #14641 on: May 21, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
It's grim on here...

I guess the 5 points in the last 36 or 1 win in the last 12 is behind that.

I do think you're right however in your final paragraph

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14642 on: May 21, 2017, 10:21:52 PM »
It's grim on here...

if this is the case we are in trouble and let's hope the budget offered leads to him resigning. We need to move on and get unity between the club players management and fans. This can not happen under pulis

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #14643 on: May 21, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »
Move onto what exactly...?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14644 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »
Here is the trade off if you are going to play dull safety first football you have to deliver results, that's the deal. By results I mean better than fans/owners could have possibly hoped for with a more adventurous alternative and frankly if that isn't the case then you have nothing to offer.

It works for other defensive coaches including Mourinho and Benitez it applies to Pulis here. 45 points across a season isn't a miracle it isn't a unique achievement it is about par for the course  i.e 14th +/- 6 points.

As for the cups don't make me laugh we haven't lost to a team that was obviously better than ourselves since he arrived the draws in both cups have been kind to us in the last two seasons. It doesn't take an incredibly deep squad to muster an XI to see off Northampton Town or a much depleted Derby County side at home.

I'm tired of the excuses it is what it is and if you think it's going to change then you are flying in the face of nearly a decades worth of evidence. If you are happy with Pulis you are happy with substance level  football that isn't worth the admission.   

What the ownership makes of it I'm not sure I fear Jacko is right that they are happy with the outcome are far enough removed from the fan base not to be swayed by the growing level of antipathy toward the manager. I doubt he will kick up a fuss if the budget isn't to his liking besides which being relatively poor is his great shield if only he had enough money he would play like Barcelona but alas on our budget it has to be Pulisball it's all we can afford. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14645 on: May 21, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
if this is the case we are in trouble and let's hope the budget offered leads to him resigning. We need to move on and get unity between the club players management and fans. This can not happen under pulis

He won't resign in a million years, he's been ordered to pay 3.7 million to Palace which is nearly 2 years salary (maybe more like 3 or 4 after taxes) so he needs the work. Realistically he probably won't get a bigger salary unless he walks into a relegation scrap and may get relegated/less money, so staying here is the safe option, even if he was unhappy with the budget I doubt he would leave because of this.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14646 on: May 21, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
The Business Model under which the Chinese have bought the Club hinges greatly on attracting a "sizeable Chinese following".... that will not and can not happen with the Pulis style of football being played...

So I'm frankly not sure how long he can possibly last.

Lai said he wanted a top ten half finish "In the future " at the start of the season when he took over. You can still see the video for yourself on the clubs YouTube channel. He has got that in his first season of owning the club. He will be delighted. Pulis pretty much guarantees top flight football year after year and whether we like it or not that will please the board. Its very frustrating because us as fans want to see the club push on yet the board seem to be very relaxed and dont seem to have the balls to throw some serious cash at TP in order to push us on (if he is capable of it) I have defended Pulis from the moment he walked through the door. I have had heated debates with people who wanted him to go a good year ago but now after this dire run the past two months i cant defend him anymore. The first year or so of him being in charge we could boast about how good we were at the back and solid we were every week almost. We cant even do that now. We cant score and we cant keep clean sheets. Generally clubs who end the season badly carry that lack of confidence into the following season and unless we get a fair few new faces in prior to next season starting then i fear thats what could happen here.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14647 on: May 21, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
It's grim on here...

Spot on Jacko, and that is the only way that TP will go, if the owners don't back him substantially. If they are not prepared to spend and he walks, then god help us with this lot.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14648 on: May 21, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
I don't care what those that still back this dinosaur think, I want him out. He is never going to change his ways and he cannot be trusted with spending money on quality players in the summer who will likely have their natural abilities coached out of them with his insistence on defensive duties. He is a one trick pony who relies on not conceding and set pieces to get the points. I believe it is 6 points out of the last 12 games which is an appalling return and would see managers sacked at other clubs.

Will the board have the courage to replace him though?

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14649 on: May 21, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
Spot on Jacko, and that is the only way that TP will go, if the owners don't back him substantially. If they are not prepared to spend and he walks, then god help us with this lot.

Walking twice from your last 2 employers due to not giving you the money you expect won't look too great on his CV, Don't think pulis is that stupid.