West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 2044435 times)

Offline KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie
Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14625 on: May 21, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
Failing to given get a draw cost us £3.9m i think.

Utterly utterly useless. I pray to god he's dismissed whilst in China.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Online Fritzl Palace

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14626 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »
Reports that Southampton, who have finished above us, are getting shot of Puel because the football has been so bad.

Oh to see a club who strive to entertain. We are just content to stay up and watch this football regardless.

Offline adamw1109

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #14627 on: May 21, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »
We did show it in the early/middle of the year. The problem is all our bad games where stuck together just like most of our good games were.

I will love to see more passing too but given the current investment from the owners it's hard to get those skilled players to come here here.

The real problem is we had a bit of luck, played some decent football and got some good results..... then it went back to the negative, hoof ball, pulis way (the way we all hated when he was at stoke)  ::)

You just can't justify beating Arsenal 3-1 then going 9 games without a win looking so poor for the majority of those games... its just down to using the same tired players (I know we have a small squad but we still have players that can't do any worse than the first team have done in recent weeks), lack of ideas, so much negativity and I'm sure making our attacking players focus on defensive jobs can't help either.

But that's just how Pulis is, he will never change as he believes that's what works best for him.

People are going on about we need major investment to help us.... that is the last thing we need imo, Our owners to throw loads of cash at players for them to come here and be pulis'd?! (See chadli and livermore for example!)

I never wanted to see him at our club, he then went on a good run mid season so i backed him thinking maybe he knows what he is doing.... but obviously he don't have a clue and reverted back to his usual self.

Its negative, boring and depressing... league position will not pull the wool over my eyes thats for sure.

Never thought I would ever say it but I'm glad the season is over to have a break from his rubbish.

Online baggiejohn

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14628 on: May 21, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »
The real problem is we had a bit of luck, played some decent football and got some good results..... then it went back to the negative, hoof ball, pulis way (the way we all hated when he was at stoke)  ::)

You just can't justify beating Arsenal 3-1 then going 9 games without a win looking so poor for the majority of those games... its just down to using the same tired players (I know we have a small squad but we still have players that can't do any worse than the first team have done in recent weeks), lack of ideas, so much negativity and I'm sure making our attacking players focus on defensive jobs can't help either.

But that's just how Pulis is, he will never change as he believes that's what works best for him.

People are going on about we need major investment to help us.... that is the last thing we need imo, Our owners to throw loads of cash at players for them to come here and be pulis'd?! (See chadli and livermore for example!)

I never wanted to see him at our club, he then went on a good run mid season so i backed him thinking maybe he knows what he is doing.... but obviously he don't have a clue and reverted back to his usual self.

Its negative, boring and depressing... league position will not pull the wool over my eyes thats for sure.

Never thought I would ever say it but I'm glad the season is over to have a break from his rubbish.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Pulis's choice we have a small squad,

For a club that's been, for years, accused of underfunding the playing squad, I'm really p^ssed off that he pulled the plug on Camancho at the last minute last August,
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #14629 on: May 21, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
surely Pulis was a short term fix to bring stability, isn't everything in place now to move forward now the takeover is done and dusted. with both these things achieved the one thing that remains to be done is a united fan base, something that will never happen while Pulis is manger of WBA.   

Offline halifax_baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14630 on: May 21, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »
If we had gone nine games without a win at the beginning of the season Pullis would have undoubtedly been dismissed, just because we are safe should make no difference

Pullis out >:(

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #14631 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
Normally over the course of the season I would be delighted to finish tenth with 45 points.

However, I find it hard to take this as any sort of achievement given the last three months has been without beating about the bush, garbage. Since guaranteeing our safety we have broken unwanted club records, waved the white flag whenever possible with some ultra negative defensive rearguards when there was no need whatsoever in my view for that approach to be taken. I am fed up of seeing someone like Nacer Chadli playing as an auxillary full-back. Furthermore, had it not been for the fact we are remotely good at set pieces then our goal tally would be a little worse yet because we seem incapable of scoring from open play.

There was signs in the middle part of the season from November to January where we looked like we had turned a corner and by and large the football matches were entertaining. However, it has soon reverted to type.

In terms of his future - given that Williams is running the club on a daily basis I don't think he is silly enough to go and sack the man who will virtually guarantee you Premier League football and access to the millions and millions now on offer. And Lai, will no doubt trust that judgement too.
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #14632 on: May 21, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
Excuses, but its never Tones fault.
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/886585962?-11200:789:0

Offline DivinePast

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #14633 on: May 21, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »
Reports that Southampton, who have finished above us, are getting shot of Puel because the football has been so bad.

Oh to see a club who strive to entertain. We are just content to stay up and watch this football regardless.

They also went from 6th place with 63 points to 8th with 46 points and crashed out of the Europa League. The EFL cup run was their only saving grace but they had a disappointing year.

Tony took a team that finish 14th, got them to finish 10th this year and in exchange no cup run. I don't see how that is comparable. We slightly overachieved and Puel took a team that finished 6th and had a big drop off.

Offline Manc Baggie

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #14634 on: May 21, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »

Sums things up perfectly for me.
One club is appears to be looking forward, the other is looking nervously behind themselves. Guess which one we are?

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #14635 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
The Pulis comments post match highlight why we should be cautious to give him too much money. "We have to invest and spend a lot on quality reinforcements to take us to another level"....which he has never ever done. Tenth is his highest finish ever so what level is that?
Why not give him less money and just say keep us between 10th and 16th.

The biggest question is what do the hierarchy want? If it's to stay in the league every year and make money then Pulis is perfect.

Offline halifax_baggie

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14636 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »
Normally over the course of the season I would be delighted to finish tenth with 45 points.

However, I find it hard to take this as any sort of achievement given the last three months has been without beating about the bush, garbage. Since guaranteeing our safety we have broken unwanted club records, waved the white flag whenever possible with some ultra negative defensive rearguards when there was no need whatsoever in my view for that approach to be taken. I am fed up of seeing someone like Nacer Chadli playing as an auxillary full-back. Furthermore, had it not been for the fact we are remotely good at set pieces then our goal tally would be a little worse yet because we seem incapable of scoring from open play.

There was signs in the middle part of the season from November to January where we looked like we had turned a corner and by and large the football matches were entertaining. However, it has soon reverted to type.

In terms of his future - given that Williams is running the club on a daily basis I don't think he is silly enough to go and sack the man who will virtually guarantee you Premier League football and access to the millions and millions now on offer. And Lai, will no doubt trust that judgement too.

As a billionaire I'm sure Lai doesn't want to invest in mid-table obscurity and will take the right decision to achieve the maximum return on investment and if that means a new manager with the ability to grow the team, performances and success on the field then so be it. Growing merchandise and standium means greater income and that is  dependent on field performances
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:49:28 PM by halifax_baggie »

Online Standaman

• WBA Coach
« Reply #14637 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
Unfortunately Pulis is a one trick pony and no matter how much money is thrown at him there will never be a different tactical outcome.

The only worthwhile investment the board can now make is a £2m pay off to get shot of him.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Offline Albertbaggie

• Junior Baggie
« Reply #14638 on: May 21, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
Not so much the end-of-season results that bother me, more the links to Terry, Wilson, and lack of opportunity for the youth lads in recent weeks. This aging squad simply has to be addressed this summer and if Pulis thinks bringing in players like Terry is the answer, it's time to get rid. I want  pace and energy to supplement the experience we have already got.

Offline SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #14639 on: May 21, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
If the owners just want to to say in the league then Pulis is the right man. If they want to entertain the fans and make an effort to progress and be more expansive he's not. I guess their comment would be "who do you bring in for us to progress, with a small budget?".

Offline Mo

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #14640 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
Maybe it's just my view but Pulis seems to have a very strong stranglehold on the club .

The owners of the club have got to reign him in on this visit to China and ask serious questions about the  recent results and performances . 

I do wonder though how bothered the Chinese actually are .

Online baggiejohn

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14641 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
As a billionaire I'm sure Lai doesn't want to invest in mid-table obscurity and will take the right decision to achieve the maximum return on investment and if that means a new manager with the ability to grow the team, performances and success on the field then so be it. Growing merchandise and standium means greater income and that is  dependent on field performances

The telling thing for me is Lai's decision to install a member of his team to replicate our academy in China.
If the UK HC is not going to use the product of the academy, what kind of message does that send to Mr Lai's homeland?
Like you, I cannot see that GL will be happy with perpetual mid table mediocrity, & will want to see year on year improvement

Offline Droitwich Baggie

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #14642 on: May 21, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »
If the owners want to spread our name and make money in China, we need to entertain.
Would you want to watch a foreign club dishing up dross, week after week?
I am sure they wouldn't either.

Offline WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #14643 on: May 21, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
I dread to think what footballers he's got in mind, a few more Marc wilsons , no matter how good they are when they come to us no doubt he will drain any flair they are blessed with

He's a media darling
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:19:01 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Online baggiejohn

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #14644 on: May 21, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »
Maybe it's just my view but Pulis seems to have a very strong stranglehold on the club .

The owners of the club have got to reign him in on this visit to China and ask serious questions about the  recent results and performances . 

I do wonder though how bothered the Chinese actually are .

I'm really not sure how big a stranglehold Pulis actually has, he talks the Corporate line, but then delivers something entirely different.
I just wonder if John Williams isn't giving him the rope.......

Offline ALFABAGGIE

• Baby Baggie
« Reply #14645 on: May 21, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »
TPs comments after the match made me smile, he said if the last couple of months have shown anything it's we need to defend better and take our chances!  No **** sherlock, he also said we desperately need some leadership at the back... Terry anybody?? Personally I hope not, Same old excuses time after time. Grow some Albion make the change, he was what we needed two and a half years ago but just can't see him pushing us on any further.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 07:31:49 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Offline kris_boing

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #14646 on: May 21, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
There's no excuse for us not finishing 8th. None whatsoever. Only his negative tactics which leads to poor performances from the players. It must be so demoralizing to play for him if you are attack minded.

I want him out. Always have done since the day we signed him and nothing has changed my mind.

Online Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach
« Reply #14647 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
There's no excuse for us not finishing 8th. None whatsoever. Only his negative tactics which leads to poor performances from the players. It must be so demoralizing to play for him if you are attack minded.

I want him out. Always have done since the day we signed him and nothing has changed my mind.
The football the last two months has been awful like early season, lets be honest. As I posted earlier I expect TP to be here next season but I'd like to think the powers that be are looking at options .

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:05:30 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Offline WBArgo

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #14648 on: May 21, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
Just to speculate here:

Some people in this thread have said Lai wouldn't be happy in mid-table obscurity and would want progress? 
Firstly, based on last season (when I assume his group were monitoring the club/sale) we finished in 16th, so in that sense there is clear progress - 6 places higher and more prize money.

Secondly, who is to say he wouldn't be pleased with mid-table obscurity? For all we know the business model of the club may be to avoid relegation and cash out yearly similar to what Peace was doing previously. It seemed to work for Peace - besides, there's a new TV deal coming from Africa which will pump even more money than before into the league making the money even higher.

I'm not posting this as a pro/anti Pulis piece, but more from the business side of things I don't think it's fair to assume that Lai may be unhappy with Pulis in regards to finishing mid-table. We don't know the financial specifics which I assume will be the main interest of Lai.

Offline LiamTheBaggie

• @westbromcom
  • Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #14649 on: May 21, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
Lai said upon his arrival that things would remain similar to the previous regime.

I have no belief so far that they have any ambition to push the club on any further than where it currently is.

I think they will be happy for us to be a mid-table Premier League side that floats around in the top half.

Let's be realistic - without the mega millions - what else is there for us to achieve?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom