West Brom Dot Com

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: So was our last decade a success?
« Last post by Atomic on Today at 12:34:12 PM »
Eight years in the Premier League. No trophies, no European football.

Sport is competition, being there to make up the numbers spending most of our time defending our eighteen yard box to me is pointless. It won't be to the money men but to a fan like me it is.

So a success? Not for me.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Last post by Atomic on Today at 12:30:20 PM »
I wouldn't recommend reading the Brighton fans forum about this topic. Complete and utter delusion by most.

I don't know about anyone else but I have no intention of reading it.

It's over and done with and it's taking up no more of my time / life. If Bong can't let it go it's his problem and his life he's letting it control.

Let him get on with it.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Last post by Jimmy on Today at 10:51:36 AM »
I wouldn't recommend reading the Brighton fans forum about this topic. Complete and utter delusion by most.
« Last post by Albionic on Today at 10:43:29 AM »
We are to success on a par with the England football team, we have been at the top table but have no trophies to brag about. St georges is a marvellous facility but still no trophies, the FA is the richest association on the planet but still no trophies,
Have England been successful?  Still no trophies !!!

And similarly to England our play has largely been pants with an occasional flash of finesse!

So no IMO.
West Bromwich Albion FC / Re: Craig Dawson
« Last post by tommcneill on Today at 10:41:44 AM »
Im a huge Dawson fan...think he will be seriously missed when he goes

Whether other fans rate him is by the by for me...some will some wont

As said above a steady 7/10 most matches for me with the occasional 8/9 out of 10
General Football & Sports / Re: Dingle watch - Anything Wolves
« Last post by tommcneill on Today at 10:39:06 AM »
I see rumours of Liverpool interested in Ruben Neves..... :-X

Mendes will sell him if the money is right because he profits from it
« Last post by Albionic on Today at 10:32:21 AM »
he's played mostly at RB, have we had a better RB than Dawson in the past 10 years? one who scores goals. one of those players who many will only miss when he's gone
I’d go further thAn that “best full back for 10 years, not bad for a centre half
« Last post by Hull Baggie on Today at 10:31:27 AM »
That's just the evidence to suggest we haven't been successful, if we're basing success on having a nice training ground and enjoying winning a few games then next season will also be a success regardless of where we finish.

Truth is the PL in the past 7/8 seasons especially has become so devoid of life behind the top sides that you could relegate any 3 of 12 teams each season and it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever. In truth the only way to lay a glove on the top sides is to finish in the top four, which was never going to happen or win a cup, which we made no effort to do. We've stood still so long that we've been overtaken by Brighton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield.

Blues and Wigan have had more successful periods at the top table of English football as they've got cup wins and trips to Europe to show for it. All we can claim is that we finished 8th a couple of times. Great, now without looking list off the teams that have finished 8th in the last 10 seasons. Other than the seasons we did, I bet you can't. It means absolutely nothing.

Sorry but your argument is flawed and all over the place. how have we been overtaken by Bournemouth, Huddersfield and Brighton, when they've managed 4 premier league seasons between them in the last decade and we've managed 8?
As I said Blues and Wigan winning cups and getting European football on the back of it had nothing to do with being in the Premier league as they could have won those same cups in any league.
Sides that have finished 8th in the last 10 seasons (apart from us) off the top of my head would be Liverpool, Swansea, Everton, Southampton can't name any more than that though, maybe Fulham.

I have had a look at Wiki and seems I was right about the sides that have finished 8th...I missed 2 though - Spurs and Portsmouth. Do I get a prize?
« Last post by wobbs68 on Today at 09:54:24 AM »
I actually think the opposite and that he is very underrated.  He is extremely professional, committed and hardworking.  He is naturally a CB who has adapted to RB.  He can play comfortably in both positions.  A steady 7/10 every match.  Would be a massive loss.  For every good centre half we have had we have had some awful ones.  Dawson would be hard to replace.
« Last post by DaveWBA on Today at 09:37:52 AM »
The post was about how successful has our last decade been not how successful compared to other teams, so what blues and Wigan have done is irrelevant.
 Both Clubs have never finished higher than 10th in the premier league whereas we have finished as high as 8th so not sure how they've had "more successful stints in the premier league than us".
Winning the cups and getting into Europe has no bearing on how successful they were in the premier league as they could have won those competitions in any league and in fact both clubs were relegated in the season that they won their respective cups and yet we stayed in the premier league.

I agree that we missed a great opportunity last season and we should have finished at least 8th and broke the 50 point barrier with ease, giving us an opportunity to consolidate our place in the top half of the table this season.

That's just the evidence to suggest we haven't been successful, if we're basing success on having a nice training ground and enjoying winning a few games then next season will also be a success regardless of where we finish.

Truth is the PL in the past 7/8 seasons especially has become so devoid of life behind the top sides that you could relegate any 3 of 12 teams each season and it would make absolutely no difference whatsoever. In truth the only way to lay a glove on the top sides is to finish in the top four, which was never going to happen or win a cup, which we made no effort to do. We've stood still so long that we've been overtaken by Brighton, Bournemouth and Huddersfield.

Blues and Wigan have had more successful periods at the top table of English football as they've got cup wins and trips to Europe to show for it. All we can claim is that we finished 8th a couple of times. Great, now without looking list off the teams that have finished 8th in the last 10 seasons. Other than the seasons we did, I bet you can't. It means absolutely nothing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10