Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2534427 times)

albiontilidie

• WBA Coach

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #950 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
espicially with the new rulings it adds money to the players and makes all the english players move to the bigger clubs
Oh Nottm Oh Nottm is full of fun is full of fun

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #951 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
He's not English though.

So wouldn't that make him cheaper and therefore more attractive to the bigger clubs?

Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #952 on: October 14, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
But a measure of how far we have come is that it the number of British clubs he might go to is a lot smaller than it used to be!

Interesting point. What is also encouraging is that the club have actually produced a player of this quality, and given the progress of O'Neil and one or two others it is evidence that the academy is beginning to produce the goods.

Like others, JP included, I have wondered if it's worth the trouble and expense, but the more youth that come through, the fewer will follow the Izzie Brown route and jump ship for a life of bench warming.

Saido has had more experience in the Premier League and consequently huge exposure, far more than his contemporaries (I guess they amay have never all played together, someone who follows the youths will tell us I'm sure, but you get my drift) who left to chase the money. They must look at him and wonder if they did the right thing.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #953 on: October 14, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
So wouldn't that make him cheaper and therefore more attractive to the bigger clubs?

Wouldn't have though so with the home grown rule and the chance to have a potential star England player amongst the ranks.

cornishbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #954 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
£20million and I would walk to the buying club to get the money.

i'd hold out for £25m  :D

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #955 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:26 PM »
£20million and I would walk to the buying club to get the money.

Seeing as Long cost £12mill and we'd have to buy a replacement. We'd be looking at £12-15mill minimum really to replace Saido. Then you're looking at signing on fee's wages and the fact that he'd probably come from abroad, so people on here would moan about him not having Prem experience.

We'll be creating real problems for ourselves if we don't get at least £25mill and I'd prefer we didn't sell at all unless Saido forces our hand.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:46 PM »
In that case why is Bony still playing for Swansea, are Swansea a bigger club than West Brom?

Because Liverpool weren't preapared to pay what Swansea wanted for him this past Summer.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: October 17, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
Seeing as Long cost £12mill and we'd have to buy a replacement. We'd be looking at £12-15mill minimum really to replace Saido. Then you're looking at signing on fee's wages and the fact that he'd probably come from abroad, so people on here would moan about him not having Prem experience.

We'll be creating real problems for ourselves if we don't get at least £25mill and I'd prefer we didn't sell at all unless Saido forces our hand.
Agree would be a big risk if he keeps up this form that is.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #958 on: October 21, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »
Brilliant performance tonight. Reminds me of KP at times and is vindication of the good work that we do in the academy.

Something that I can't understand is why he doesn't have the love and adoration of the crowd. Any other club that had a player that has come through the ranks, a striker and a potential England striker at that, would be adored but it doesn't seem to be that way with Saido. I don't think I've ever heard the Hawthorns join together in a song for him, not even tonight after such a good performance.

I know he had misdemeanours last season but he was and is a young guy, definitely forgivable in my eyes.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #959 on: October 21, 2014, 12:34:52 AM »
Brilliant performance tonight. Reminds me of KP at times and is vindication of the good work that we do in the academy.

Something that I can't understand is why he doesn't have the love and adoration of the crowd. Any other club that had a player that has come through the ranks, a striker and a potential England striker at that, would be adored but it doesn't seem to be that way with Saido. I don't think I've ever heard the Hawthorns join together in a song for him, not even tonight after such a good performance.

I know he had misdemeanours last season but he was and is a young guy, definitely forgivable in my eyes.
remember, folks were prepared to get rid for anything after that, some believe in the one strike system and it'll take more than a few goals to change that.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #960 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:17 AM »
. I don't think I've ever heard the Hawthorns join together in a song for him, not even tonight after such a good performance.

Well I am 68 years old, and my family say I'm going deaf but even I joined in last night Saido,Saido Saido, Saido Saido,
BERAHINO. I can only assume you were watching on TV.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: October 21, 2014, 06:42:11 AM »
Well I am 68 years old, and my family say I'm going deaf but even I joined in last night Saido,Saido Saido, Saido Saido,

I was watching 5200 miles away on an Internet stream, and I heard it loud and clear.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #962 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
Before I start let me say this is purely my personal opinion & in no way is it meant to be provocative or an attempt to get people up in arms.

I watched Saido very carefully last night & other then his goal I thought his was the worst performance of the whole team, he was lazy at times, his hold up play was poor for the most part, the couple of times he did get the ball under & shield it he elected to try & keep it against 2 or 3 defenders when a simple pass to an Albion player was on & ended up losing it.

I appreciate he's still a young lad & playing up front on your own is never easy (especially against the top teams) but for me he has a lot of improving to do if he is to become as good as many think he can, hopefully he'll mature & begin to understand football is very much a team game & as such he has to work a hell of a lot harder then he did last night.

I have no axe to grind with SB just a little realisation that he hasn't 'arrived' yet & as one of the post's above mentioned maybe this is why all our fans don't chant his name universally, if he can improve his work rate (up to him) & the coaching staff can develop his leading of the line we might just have this mega million pound player that many are waxing lyrical about, till then its very much a 'work in progress' for me   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #963 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
Before I start let me say this is purely my personal opinion & in no way is it meant to be provocative or an attempt to get people up in arms.

I watched Saido very carefully last night & other then his goal I thought his was the worst performance of the whole team, he was lazy at times, his hold up play was poor for the most part, the couple of times he did get the ball under & shield it he elected to try & keep it against 2 or 3 defenders when a simple pass to an Albion player was on & ended up losing it.

I appreciate he's still a young lad & playing up front on your own is never easy (especially against the top teams) but for me he has a lot of improving to do if he is to become as good as many think he can, hopefully he'll mature & begin to understand football is very much a team game & as such he has to work a hell of a lot harder then he did last night.

I have no axe to grind with SB just a little realisation that he hasn't 'arrived' yet & as one of the post's above mentioned maybe this is why all our fans don't chant his name universally, if he can improve his work rate (up to him) & the coaching staff can develop his leading of the line we might just have this mega million pound player that many are waxing lyrical about, till then its very much a 'work in progress' for me

Personally I'd agree with most of that.
Last night, at times, we were looking for a forward just to hold the ball up and relieve the pressure but time again it just came back at us.
I'd agree that at times his decision making was pretty poor going for the Holywood finale rather than a simple lay off, but again that is something he wil learn with time and games under his belt.
The faults that are currently in his game are, in my opinion, the faults that will reduce the number of £15m suitors (according to some posters) that will come in for him.
All that said with the right nurturing he will no doubt become hot property sooner or later.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
He was very isolated in the 2nd half far to much with little to no service & the time's we did get the ball up to him 2/3 defenders were all over him like a rash & with on support would lose the ball 9 times out of 10.
He's still a rough diamond but he's a diamond neither the less.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #965 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »

I was at the game, I am a season ticket holder. Interesting then, I sit at the back of the Brummie and didn't really hear anything - certainly not all four sides of the stadium together. Maybe there's less Berahino love inthe Brimmie! It appears there were cheers, I'm glad, I feel it's deserved.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

I have to agree with this. I'm a big fan of his and it's good to see him playing through the middle. However I do think he needs someone alongside him to look after him. Granted he was left isolated at times last night but we needed the ball to stick up top to relive the pressure. I actually though Sess was poor too aside from his goal. I really think we should have brought on Ideye or Anichebe late on in the game to give us an outlet. Instead we've just dropped deeper and invited pressure. Overall you have to be happy with a point as for long periods we were second best. Not surprising when you see the quality they have on offer.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #967 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
There will be games when he is fed constantly , last night wasn't one of those games. I thought he did well and held the ball up well on occasion.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #968 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:07 AM »
He's just raw and inexperienced, as well as extremely talented.  He is still learning the game.

We have to be patient - the wait will be worthwhile!

Hulsey74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »
I have to agree with this. I'm a big fan of his and it's good to see him playing through the middle. However I do think he needs someone alongside him to look after him. Granted he was left isolated at times last night but we needed the ball to stick up top to relive the pressure. I actually though Sess was poor too aside from his goal. I really think we should have brought on Ideye or Anichebe late on in the game to give us an outlet. Instead we've just dropped deeper and invited pressure. Overall you have to be happy with a point as for long periods we were second best. Not surprising when you see the quality they have on offer.

And i agree with this too :)

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #970 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »
It's really tough to criticise Saido this season. He has come on leaps and bounds from last term, when he looked disinterested and unfit much of the time.

From the first game this season he has looked sharper, fitter and more likely to score.

Don't forget it's just his second season, and he is leading the scoring charts.

Personally I was critical of him last season, I don't feel it would be at all justified this time. As someone has said, he is a diamond.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #971 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
They both drift in and out sess and saido but while saido is scoring i wont criticize as that's what we need to keep us in this league a goalscorer its the most important thing to have in the side, Not just in game time this season but i watched a couple clips on hes finishing in training and it really is instinctive almost defoe esk, We keep him injury free and in my eyes we got enough to cause teams problems, Successful teams in the prem have a focal point in attack swansea have Bony Saints have Pele Stoke have Adam at the moment our man is saido and he looks like scoring every game which is something will desperately missed from last seasons abysmal showings.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #972 on: October 21, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

Anybody remember the days when we worried about how we would find a striker to replace the lost goals of Odemwingie or Lukaku?  A 15 goal a season Premiership striker.   

And this one cost us NOTHING!!!

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #973 on: October 21, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »
Anybody remember the days when we worried about how we would find a striker to replace the lost goals of Odemwingie or Lukaku?  A 15 goal a season Premiership striker.   

And this one cost us NOTHING!!!

Doesn't just score against the smaller sides either. Got a gem, needs investment and patience from the fans too but could get a hatful this season. Going to need thos great through balls to continue, that's why Brunt is so valuable to the team.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #974 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »

I completely disagree. I think his anonymity for a big chunk of the game was our inability to get the ball forward via the midfield. Berahino is a striker that will thrive on service, not an Anichebe that will fight for aerial balls then hold the ball up. I don't think it is fair to criticize  SB at all as when provided with the service he needs he finished in world class style. The only criticism I would level at him would have been that he should have went to ground after being blatantly fouled in their area. We would have had a penalty if he hadn't have stayed on his feet, but that is inexperience. All in all, last night would have added value and interest rather than detract from it.