Author Topic: Chris Wood  (Read 71846 times)

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

Chris Wood
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »

Albion striker Chris Wood is targeting a place in the Baggies’ Premier League squad as ‘loan club’ Brighton wait in the wings to hire him again.

The teenage forward won rave reviews from Brighton manager Gus Poyet for his role in the south coast club’s barnstorming promotion to the Championship and is ready to offer the 19-year-old another run next season.

But the bustling young New Zealand international is geared up for a major push during pre-season, training to convince head coach Roy Hodgson that he is worth a place at Albion.

Wood said: “I hopefully want to push my way into the West Brom side during the pre-season.

“I want to show a bit to the new manager. I spoke to him when I went back a couple of weeks before the end of the season and he said he wants to see what I can do.

“It’s good to see that he’s interested and I hope he likes what he sees.”

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2011/06/21/chris-wood-wanted-back-at-brighton/#ixzz1Pv8Uv9iF

Personally I don't think we will make a decision on Wood untill towards the end of the transfer window when we see what other options we have in place. I don't think there would be a shortage of Championship clubs looking at him.
Twitter: @floydy1983

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Re: Chris Wood - WBA
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
It's great that he settled at Brighton because it will enable him to do the step up into the championship in familiar surroundings.

He needs to be in the Championship for a season imo.
I only go for the beer.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?204271-Wood-wanted-at-the-Amex...

Brighton fans seem split on wanting him back.  Probably more saying No.  Those that do seem to think hes a squad player at best.

Like some have said though hes only 19 and just needs regular football.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
Agree no where near PL quality yet, as Rowley says a season in the Championship wouldnt hurt him.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
More to the point - a season in the Championship wouldn't hurt his transfer value!

Not sure he'll ever be a Prem player due to lack of pace and finishing quality.

But could become a good hold up target man in the Champ, given time.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:28:33 PM »
Certainly too soon for the Premier League in my opinion. Needs a year or two of championship football before he makes the step up. Hard to tell with him at the moment.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

knightstorm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
I think he's looked good in the limited games I've seen him play in for the Kiwis & Brighton. I think he has potential & could be a good 25th man for the squad.

Personally I'd rather have a young, hungry forward than Miller or Fortune & although not lightning he is strong & good in the air.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
I think he needs a season in the championship before he will get a proper run in our side but i am still quite excited by this kid as i think he could be a great player for us providing he develops properly
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

duncan

Chris Wood - WBA
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
I'd let him stay another year with Brighton. It worked well for him and the club. Let him have some stability. Play with the same players to a method known to him and we may see whether we have a talented striker

theboywiththe arabstrap

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
the brighton fans think he's rubbish!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
We could loan him to the vile....the season after next. ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Jack_Wba11

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:17:22 PM »
I think he's really overrated and should get rid of him now. I think the fact that he came through our Youth Team which hasn't produced too much in previous years and that he has played International Football means people think he is better than he is...Time for him to go in my opinion.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
I think he's really overrated and should get rid of him now. I think the fact that he came through our Youth Team which hasn't produced too much in previous years and that he has played International Football means people think he is better than he is...Time for him to go in my opinion.

It's one season too early to make a decision like that.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:45:24 PM »
Wood was signed from New Zealand,he is not a product of our youth system.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
I think a season (or at least till Jan) in the Championship would be good for him to keep playing 1st team football

but not at Brighton.

Frankly he deserves a run with a stronger team than them in the Champs.

I wonder if the people on this board saying to get rid of him have actually watch anything of him in the six months........

Hi isn't perfect... he isn't the finished article.... he is still young and is getting better with experience

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:13 AM »
the brighton fans think he's rubbish!
No, some do. Others really like. Most of them, even the ones who think he's rubbish, say that he started off really well but his form dropped dramatically near the end of his spell after he came back from international duty - this is understandable since last season he played more football than he has so far than he had any other season in his short career. Scored 10 goals at Brighton, which isn't too bad for a inexperienced teenager who's not really a goalscoring forward. Also if Gus Poyet (a decent manager) wants him back then he must have done something right.

Even with us he's done OK especially considering he's only really played for us as a 17/18 year old. I can't remember how he did in his handful of games in the Premiership (played about 3 games during the Mowbray season didn't he?) but when I saw him play in the Championship most of the time he didn't look out of place, scored a stunner against Doncaster as well and has bagged a belter or two in the cups. He also seems to be highly rated in the club as well. Even at the world cup playing for New Zealand he looked good, remember him coming on and almost scoring against Italy?

He's developing quite nicely in my opinion, loan him out to a Championship club next season to continue his development and in a couple of years he could be good enough to play for us in the Premiership.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:38 AM »
I think it is way too early to dismiss this kid as not being good enough for the Premiership. Although a season with Brighton in the Championship will do him the power of good provided he is getting regular football.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »
It would do him a power of good. If he went to a better Championship team he might struggle to get game time. He stands the best chance of progressing if he goes back to Brighton.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:57 AM »
Probably 2 seasons too early to decide on his future. I agree he is not ready yet for our first team, but he is very young and being carefully developed by our system. If he carries on developing at the same rate for 2 years, he may well be PL standard. On the other hand, if he stays as good as he is and doesnt really progress, we will get 500k off someone and he will do a decent job for them. This is what the youth development system is all about. You cannot judge a player at aged 19, unless he is exceptionally good or exceptionally bad, so give it time and let's wait and see.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
On the few occasions i've seen him play i feel he's got the raw talent and physical attributes to become a very good player. As others have said, a year in the Chamionship would probably be best for him, although, if Roy thinks he has a contribution to make in our squad this season, i'd trust him on that.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »
I laugh at the people who knock this 19 year old lad, yet he has achieved two promotions and played in a world cup already in his career. He at the very least can be as good as, if not better than Cox.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 12:16:44 AM »
We judge youngsters too early in this country

Definitley has potential

Where was drogba at his age! (not comparing ability )

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »
We judge youngsters too early in this country

Definitley has potential

Where was drogba at his age! (not comparing ability )

Playing youth football for Le Mans.

Mulumbu99

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
Meanwhile, Chris Wood could be heading out on loan next season.

Doncaster Rovers are keen to take the striker for the 2011-12 season.

Brighton and Hove Albion were also keeping tabs on the New Zealander but they have just completed the signing of Peterborough’s Craig Mackail-Smith.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/07/05/west-brom-warned-shane-long-will-cost-10-million-97319-28993464/?#ixzz1RE1s7vZH

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
good move for the lad! keep him getting them games under his belt
O Albion we love you