Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635692 times)

Ross

• Youth Baggie

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #1150 on: January 25, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
Our leading scorer for the best two years, and being played off the bench or out of position - he has a point to take a swipe, but that statement left me speechless - pack him off - think he has played his last first team game for us either way  :-\

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1151 on: January 25, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
As has been said here, we absolutely must play hardball and JP will. If we let PO go on the cheap (anything under £5 million) Twitchy, should QPR survive which they will I believe with PO helping them and with Remy, will then tap up Yacob/Mulumbu/Olsson in the summer. As we don't have to sell, and in fact the desperate club here is QPR fighting for survival, I think JP will drag this out until the last day and then ask for 7 or 8 million to let QPR stew in their desperation. I believe QPR will pay that much.

This is an extremely important battle for us symbolically, we simply cannot let QPR walk all over us financially or we might as well voluntarily relegate ourselves as we cannot compete. QPR either pay our price or goes to hell. This is so important a sulky Pete doesn't come into it. I'd rather have Pete sulk in the reserves than him banging in goals for QPR saving them tens of millions of pounds, while we sit with a measly handful of millions that won't get us anything close to Pete's quality.

Great post.  Give Redknapp and QPR encouragement over buying our players on the cheap, and they'll be queueing up to sign Mulumbu, Yacob and Olsson.

If we become renowned for being a club that sells it's best players then we may as well not bother with the Premier League.

What's galling for me is that the club in question is bottom of the league - how embarrassing for us having to fend off this bid when we're 8th.

The players we should be getting rid of we can't because they want to stay which IMO is breeding complacency and negative results on the pitch.  We're desperate for new faces now to kick start our season.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1152 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Eh!? Don't know about others but I'm not comfortable about my money contributing towards his wages after what he has just said.

Get someone in who wants to be here!

If we are seen as a soft touch none of your money will go to the wages of our core players. They will be gone and we will be left with a relegation squad. As soon as we get a decent player other teams will lick their chops and tap him up.

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »
Think we need to keep him. He will go in the summer but will need to work hard to impress someone daft enough to pay the money peace is going to want. Meaning we get the best out of him and enough time to find a replacement.

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1154 on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
If we are seen as a soft touch none of your money will go to the wages of our core players. They will be gone and we will be left with a relegation squad. As soon as we get a decent player other teams will lick their chops and tap him up.

Not really. As I've stated, Pete is only going to get worse. So are many of our other players. Although this is a sour situation it is a great opportunity to get rid of a high earner who in 18 months be a shadow of the player who joined us.

It will allow us to cash in and get someone else younger in. And it's not like we are short of strikers as it is, and were in no danger of going down.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1155 on: January 25, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
Think we need to keep him. He will go in the summer but will need to work hard to impress someone daft enough to pay the money peace is going to want. Meaning we get the best out of him and enough time to find a replacement.

If he does play again he will only have to make one mistake and he will be blasted,the atmosphere will turn sour and thats not good for the team.

Once you lose the fans there isnt anyway back, after all he is a confidence player and if he is getting abuse he isnt going to be any good.

Edited - text speak
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:56:22 PM by OldburyWBA »

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1156 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:20 PM »
Odemwingie will not play for us again especially after that statement. Maybe the reserves if QPR dont offer the right money. I can see Newcastle or Fulham being tempted aswell. Its not good to have a player who wants to leave aswell.
BOING BOING

liam-zuiverloon

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1157 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
I don't think his team mates care.

Mulumbu's tweet the other day about him not leaving until he is back makes sence now.

Why is it when everything is rosie at the Albion some bell spoils it for us?

Could someone explain this? not everyone is a tweeter
Some people's spelling is hylaryous.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1158 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
Great post.  Give Redknapp and QPR encouragement over buying our players on the cheap, and they'll be queueing up to sign Mulumbu, Yacob and Olsson.

If we become renowned for being a club that sells it's best players then we may as well not bother with the Premier League.

What's galling for me is that the club in question is bottom of the league - how embarrassing for us having to fend off this bid when we're 8th.

The players we should be getting rid of we can't because they want to stay which IMO is breeding complacency and negative results on the pitch.  We're desperate for new faces now to kick start our season.

Exactly. If QPR gets PO and survives they will then have even more money they can use to tap up our players. We would allow a vicious circle (also other rich clubs would join the frey). I hope QPR go down tbh, in fact it would be strategically more important for us to see QPR down than even Villa I think. Villa are pretty skint in comparison with QPR and besides, it's fun with derbies. :)

But if there is one thing I trust JP to do it is basic arithmetic. He knows the numbers inside out and I hope QPR have the guts and decency to go up against him openly instead of this cowardly tapping up balls.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »
As has been said here, we absolutely must play hardball and JP will. If we let PO go on the cheap (anything under £5 million) Twitchy, should QPR survive which they will I believe with PO helping them and with Remy, will then tap up Yacob/Mulumbu/Olsson in the summer. As we don't have to sell, and in fact the desperate club here is QPR fighting for survival, I think JP will drag this out until the last day and then ask for 7 or 8 million to let QPR stew in their desperation. I believe QPR will pay that much.

This is an extremely important battle for us symbolically, we simply cannot let QPR walk all over us financially or we might as well voluntarily relegate ourselves as we cannot compete. QPR either pay our price or goes to hell. This is so important a sulky Pete doesn't come into it. I'd rather have Pete sulk in the reserves than him banging in goals for QPR saving them tens of millions of pounds, while we sit with a measly handful of millions that won't get us anything close to Pete's quality.

Quite right.

We have been in similar situations before (with Davies, Kamara, and the rest...) but this is where JP comes into his own and he's never let us down yet - he'll have old Twitchy paying through the nose for PO.
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1160 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
GR makes a point but every player has his price including Odemwingie. £5million would be a fabulous deal for WBA and we move on. I dont buy the theory that selling one player opens the floodgates. Business is business and so if it makes the right sense both from a football point and commercial standpoint then do the deal. Arsenal cashed in on RVP and Man Utd payed top doller but got a good deal as did Arsenal. Would Arsenal be any better off this season if they had him...probably marginal because they dont operate in the same commercial strata as Man Utd which irks their fans but means the sum of the parts dont equal the whole. One player isnt going to be the difference if the rest arnt up to the same standard. If QPR are daft enough to pay through the nose for a player that isnt going to be the difference then thats their problem. We just move on as Arsenal did.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1161 on: January 25, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
When the history of West Bromwich Albion is next republished Peter Odemwingie will be lucky to get half a page, and 50% of that will be because of one afternoon against a urine poor Wolves team.
I only go for the beer.

solidus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1162 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
He'll be off no doubt whatsoever. There's only a few clubs in the world who can afford to let a player rot in the reserves - especially when he's their top earner. JP will be loving this - fee's are always inflated in January, and the buying club have rich owners and a stupid manager with a blank chequebook in his pocket.

At least our London office might get some use over the next few days!

I wouldn't be too concerned if we don't buy a replacement in Jan - being safe from relegation we don't have to panic buy and our targets would be more feasible (and cheaper) in the summer.

Always had the feeling this would happen with Pete at some point. There's been countless other stories in other windows, and for me, he's always played for himself rather than the team. Not to take anything away from some of the memories though, dingles hat trick etc!

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1163 on: January 25, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
Could someone explain this? not everyone is a tweeter

@mulumbuofficial: @OdemwingieP thanks bro don't sign anyhwere til i get back lol all the best !!see u soon

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
When the history of West Bromwich Albion is next republished Peter Odemwingie will be lucky to get half a page, and 50% of that will be because of one afternoon against a pee poor Wolves team.

I agree totally Rowley. PO is a very good player who has done a fine job for WBA but lets face it he isnt and never will be "Bomber" will he?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: January 25, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
let him rot in the reserves the ungreatful prat, thats what id do with him get rid in summer >:(

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
It's hard to know which way to go with this.

Option 1 - Let him sit on 40k per week, in the reserves until summer then sell him. Obviously this is costing the club 40k a week for absolutely nothing, so not sure if this would happen, but no doubt he would lose game time and be less of a player.

Option 2 - Sell him and hope that QPR get relegated. It may open up the door for ones like Rosenberg to get more game time.

Option 3 - Keep him at least until summer, play him and listen to the boos ring out every time he touches the ball.

Just a thought: IF he stayed and got game time, and IF he scored, would anyone cheer or not? Sounds random, but it's just something I was thinking about.

I would rather we sell him, I don't want any hoop playing in stripes.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1167 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
Hope we think calmly and rationally now. Pete is a very important part of SC's squad, as he gives us something different up front. If we lose him we are going to struggle scoring goals. Long and Lukaku are decent strikers, but they are not going to be firing on all cylinders for the rest of the season, and will undoubtedly have to miss games here and there. It means we'll end up sliding down the table, unless we can bring in an adequate replacement in the next week. And that's a very big if. So if we can't, we don't sell.. Pete is under contract so JP should be in the driving seat.
However, if QPR won't go away, we could say that we won't talk unless Taarabt is part of the deal. Taarabt is not really a striker, but he is nevertheless class.  Would be interesting to see what Harry makes of that.
You can see why SC was saying he wishes the end of the transfer window would come. But we absolutely must not be left high and dry come 31st Jan.
As for QPR, never liked them. Now, I hope with a passion that they end up relegated.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1168 on: January 25, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »
let him rot in the reserves the ungreatful prat, thats what id do with him get rid in summer >:(

Yep, we can easily get £2 million for him in the summer. Why should we allow him to leave for QPR for that price now in January? Makes no sense.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1169 on: January 25, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »
I think it can only end one way with him leaving.

His statement is disrespectful to his manager, the club itself and his teammates. If Clarke starts picking him week in week out it makes him look weak, if he leaves him out it makes him look as though he is holding a grudge so best for all parties if they stump up £6m + and he goes to collect his fifty pieces of silver.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1170 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
After hearing that statement on sky, I have totally lost all respect for the man. Who does he think he is. It's Albions choice as to what fee to accept,  he's scored 10 goals a season and reckons he's only worth 2 million. What a joke.

We need to get shot of him, but only on our terms. He deserves all he gets from the crowd if he is still here next week. Cannot understand why he has to be so vocal about wanting out, why bother signing a contract.

Obviously has a problem with not getting game time under Steve Clarke, and since when did Harry gain such hero worship.

Whether he goes now or in the summer he has acted disgustingly with no respect for the club, fans and teammates.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1171 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »
wanknapp is a prat hope that lot go down, rumours owner is trying to sell club [pompey all over again]

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1172 on: January 25, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »
We are not desperate for cash.Put him in the reserves until the end of the season then get rid.We are safe almost so his sulking wont really harm us for the rest of the season.Lets hope both him and his agent suffer financially.Always been billy big boots always will.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1173 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
After hearing that statement on sky, I have totally lost all respect for the man. Who does he think he is. It's Albions choice as to what fee to accept,  he's scored 10 goals a season and reckons he's only worth 2 million. What a joke.

We need to get shot of him, but only on our terms. He deserves all he gets from the crowd if he is still here next week. Cannot understand why he has to be so vocal about wanting out, why bother signing a contract.

Obviously has a problem with not getting game time under Steve Clarke, and since when did Harry gain such hero worship.

Whether he goes now or in the summer he has acted disgustingly with no respect for the club, fans and teammates.

I sincerely hope he doesnt get stick from the supporters. That would be very counter productive. He has a right to request a transfer. Why is there anything wrong with that? Whether he is allowed to go is a different matter. That is the clubs perogative. I expect him to be totally professional and come to play each time he is selected. As long as he does that then he should be supported the same as any player. Rather ironic that people should criticise Brunty as past it and surplus to requirements in the same week. What price loyalty eh? All clubs need (read businesses) loyal employees at the core!

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: January 25, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if we were able to send him on loan to Reading or Wigan until the end of the season, and then sell him ;)

However, in the real world, I now can't see anything other than him moving to QPR in the next few days. Harry, Peter and his agent have well and truly done a job on us here. Sticking him in the reserves 'to rot' on his wages is simply not an option for us. Peace can play hardball with the best of them but he isn't stupid. Realistically, he's not going to be able to play for us again, so what does that leave? The thing that his agent, himself and Harry wanted, that we sell him.