Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 781353 times)

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #4200 on: November 20, 2023, 09:34:12 PM »
Another borefest tonight, without a couple of certain players we look ordinary.
A word on the referee, very poor in my opinion, the standard of refereeing is getting worse at all levels!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4201 on: November 20, 2023, 09:34:17 PM »
I like Trent, but he cant be in the first 11,hes not a midfielder nor good enough to replace Walker atm
A second poor performance on the trot, why cant we shoot at goal?

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4202 on: November 20, 2023, 09:41:09 PM »
I think that Rashford free kick sums up the performance, miles off target!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4203 on: November 20, 2023, 10:34:35 PM »
We always save our best form for the tournament proper.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4204 on: November 21, 2023, 09:57:12 AM »
Don’t understand why any experimenting e.g Watkins wasn’t done in the easier home game v Malta. I do realise that would be meant Lewis playing both due to Trippiers withdrawal but what’s wrong with that !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4205 on: November 21, 2023, 10:48:49 AM »
Referee was shocking but the game was awful, the Midfield lacks something without Bellingham Although what was frustrating was Dion Dublin said it and I could see it Foden was getting into excellent space and you could see Maguire look up and see him but then instead decides to pass it to Walker on the side. Yes controlling the Ball is good but Man City don't pass it around the back they pass it around the Midfeild and Attack to try and work the defence and then they use Foden to create the space he receives it putting Haarland in and usually they create a chance. No disrespect to our defence last night. But only the two full backs can play out from the Back and are used to regularly under Pep. Maguire is good on the ball but Man Utd I don't know what thry try to do if I am being honest but Stones would add a third body who can play it safely. I don't like the passing around back anyway your inviting pressure and if Macedonia weren't well Macedonia and say France or someone then they would have cut off the Midfield and put pressure on the back and got in behind. Pass it around with no pressure but then work it forward. Also Grealish tried to do much sometimes it is frustrating, Rico Lewis was in behind him and I was calling for Grealish to pass it but he didn't, Saka was Good, Lewis had a decent game, Foden was good, Watkins hard to judge when you have Kane ahead of him and he didn't get much service. Thought Rice was ok, Trent wouldn't be playing there with our normal Midfield he tried but it didn't work. Why does Southgate pick Phillips, JWP is better to me I would keep Henserson for experience. Philips is always on the bench at City and even Bernardo Silva has played in his role. It was pretty poor and frustrating. And that is three awful refs I have seen Friday, Darlo on Saturday although Darlo won and Last night.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4206 on: November 26, 2023, 12:32:25 PM »
Sad to hear that Terry Venables has passed away. He was a lovely person. RIP

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4207 on: November 26, 2023, 12:46:13 PM »
RIP Terry. Liked him when I was a kid. Euro 96 was good fun, shame we couldnt win it

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4208 on: November 26, 2023, 02:33:07 PM »
The first England Manager I was really aware of and liked…actually, Graham Taylor was and he went recently too. Sad times.

Old El Tel seemed like a fun guy in person and that seemed to play out on the pitch too.

Rest In Peace.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4209 on: November 26, 2023, 04:47:07 PM »
RIP Tell
Remember him as a very good player, am i right in saying he was the first player to get capped at all levels for England?
Could be wrong anyway he seemed s fun guy to be around, a top player top manager inc Barca
I think he ended up ss a hoyel owner abroad
Sad loss

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4210 on: November 26, 2023, 04:59:28 PM »
Love Venables's attitude to football and so unlucky in 96.
 Thanks for the memories RIP.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4211 on: November 27, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »
Was barely a twinkle in My Dad's eye during Euro 96 he was 16 turning 17, but I have watched the reruns during Covid on TV and there was something eventhough I knew how our journey would end that felt so good, the whole country backing the team no splits, no abuse when Southgate missed, no Negativity, just everyone enjoying the occasion, the Football we played was beautiful, it would look at place in Today's era and my dad said against the Dutch was either the Best performance or half he had ever seen from an England Team. Yet again the 90's did seem a fantastic era and I like the 90's despite not being there. But When I watched it I was amazed by how good the Football England played was. RIP Terry Venebles the man who gave everyone alive in England in 1996 pride and optimism for 3 weeks
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4212 on: November 27, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »
Was barely a twinkle in My Dad's eye during Euro 96 he was 16 turning 17, but I have watched the reruns during Covid on TV and there was something eventhough I knew how our journey would end that felt so good, the whole country backing the team no splits, no abuse when Southgate missed, no Negativity, just everyone enjoying the occasion, the Football we played was beautiful, it would look at place in Today's era and my dad said against the Dutch was either the Best performance or half he had ever seen from an England Team. Yet again the 90's did seem a fantastic era and I like the 90's despite not being there. But When I watched it I was amazed by how good the Football England played was. RIP Terry Venebles the man who gave everyone alive in England in 1996 pride and optimism for 3 weeks
It was beautiful the country was alive with football fever and a real belief this was our year Skinners song it's Coming Home only added to the mix, alas we all know how it turned out but it was geat while it lasted.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4213 on: November 27, 2023, 07:05:29 PM »
It was beautiful the country was alive with football fever and a real belief this was our year Skinners song it's Coming Home only added to the mix, alas we all know how it turned out but it was geat while it lasted.
It was amazing how everyone ( football fans and non football fans alike) got caught up in the emotional side of that tournament. Beautiful football in beautiful weather, thank for the memories El Tel and RIP
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4214 on: November 27, 2023, 08:17:10 PM »
Still astonishing it took 22 years to reach another semi final after his achievement. Rewatched the Dutch game this morning on BBC website, can't be many better Englanf performances in a major tournament. That Southgate pass for the 3rd - Chefs kiss.

Rest in Peace El Tel.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4215 on: December 02, 2023, 06:22:07 PM »
50/50 Euros draw.

Highest ranked pot 2 side in Denmark, although I'd fear the Dutch more. Slovenia from pot 3 - maybe one of the weaker sides in that pot and then we get the third best from pot 4.

The two death groups are A and B with Germany, Scotland, Hungary and Switzerland drawn together and Spain, Italy  Croatia and Albania.

Ours and group D feel even - France, Netherlands, Austria and a play off team. I'd probably just take ours over France's but it is tight.

E and F - the Portugal and Belgium groups are really soft. Not only do they get the 2 groupings that have the easiest knock out route (guaranteed to avoid a group winner until atheist the semi finals), they also get the weakest opponents.

Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4216 on: December 05, 2023, 09:45:49 PM »
England needed to beat Scotland by atleast 3 goals to qualify for the Women’s Olympics today and hope that the Dutch didn’t win. England won by 6 in the end, but a last minute Dutch goal sends us out of the Olympic competition next year.

A decent medal hope gone.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4217 on: January 11, 2024, 10:22:48 AM »
As ex-England manager thought i would pop it in here but Sven-Goran Eriksson says he has “about a year” to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67942943

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4218 on: March 22, 2024, 12:04:45 PM »
What up with Nike with the New England Kit why would you even consider changing the flag of Saint George , wouldn’t do it with any other nation,
Also how the hell can they justify the prices they’re charging for them , supposedly a cost of living crisis
Simple really, if you don't like it don't buy it, if they are left with loads of inventory they will learn
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4219 on: March 24, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
Just got to say that if we dont shoot, we wont score a goal.
I thought it was a pre season type game, whats the point really?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4220 on: March 24, 2024, 10:37:32 AM »
Just got to say that if we dont shoot, we wont score a goal.
I thought it was a pre season type game, whats the point really?

That’s how we would be in a competitive game against the likes of Brazil under this manager, sadly

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4221 on: March 24, 2024, 11:49:21 AM »
I was at a gig so didn't see any of it.  Sounds like same old Southgate?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4222 on: March 24, 2024, 01:39:08 PM »
England players have struggled for decades against the top nations, usually down to a lack of variety in the players we produce. I'm not sure if you can honestly say that with this squad though, there are several players now who look comfortable in possession and we have strong options in most positions. The fact we are still losing more than we win vs the top nations may well be on the manager this time. If we don't win the Euro's, or at the very least make the final having beaten top opposition, then I hope we say thank you and goodbye to Southgate.

This is an incredible generation of players with more still coming through, it would be a massive shame to waste it on a manager who isn't quite amongst the elite.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4223 on: March 24, 2024, 01:54:05 PM »
On the talent point, interesting to see the names in the England under 2's and 20's sides this weekend, especially given the amount of injuries in the senior sides and promotions of youngsters (Mainoo, Gordon, Branthwaite).

Harvey Elliot got 2 goals, a regular now for Liverpool and another in the James Maddison mould, the exciting 18 year old Archie Gray also managed an assist, someone to rival Kobee Mainoo at the heart of England's future midfield. Rico Lewis and Nonr Madurke other stand out names in the starting line up, Dortkubds Bynoe-Gittens and Bournemouth's Alex Scott getting minutes from the bench, while Liverpool regular Jarrell Quansah didn't even get off the bench.

England under 20's featured Newcastle pair Lewis Hall and Lewis Miley - in another era they would have been with the under 21's , alongside Liverpool's Bobby Clark, Ireogbunam and our Tom Fellows.

There is so much depth coming through now, there really is very little excuse not to challenge for honours over the next ten years.
Boing Boing

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4224 on: March 24, 2024, 03:07:54 PM »
On the talent point, interesting to see the names in the England under 2's and 20's sides this weekend, especially given the amount of injuries in the senior sides and promotions of youngsters (Mainoo, Gordon, Branthwaite).

Harvey Elliot got 2 goals, a regular now for Liverpool and another in the James Maddison mould, the exciting 18 year old Archie Gray also managed an assist, someone to rival Kobee Mainoo at the heart of England's future midfield. Rico Lewis and Nonr Madurke other stand out names in the starting line up, Dortkubds Bynoe-Gittens and Bournemouth's Alex Scott getting minutes from the bench, while Liverpool regular Jarrell Quansah didn't even get off the bench.

England under 20's featured Newcastle pair Lewis Hall and Lewis Miley - in another era they would have been with the under 21's , alongside Liverpool's Bobby Clark, Ireogbunam and our Tom Fellows.

There is so much depth coming through now, there really is very little excuse not to challenge for honours over the next ten years.
I’d pay good money to watch the under 2’s. Do they play on a regular sized pitch? :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.