Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 785578 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #4025 on: December 04, 2022, 07:52:23 PM »
Bellingham's already world class isn't he.

Without a doubt. So clever with the ball, strong, creative. A new Bryan Robson?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4026 on: December 04, 2022, 08:01:25 PM »
Bellingham's already world class isn't he.

Different gravy
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4027 on: December 04, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »
Better than Robbo was at 19, which is phenomenally good
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4028 on: December 04, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
Good win tonight albeit expected.

The true test is saturday. We need France to be off it. If both teams are at their best I still think we fall short, but with a bit of luck we are certainly capable of beating them on the day.

If we can win, we can beat everyone else.

As for Bellingham, he’s good at everything. He also has what some one like Pogba (who’s should have perhaps been the best midfielder of his generation)… desire!

Him and Pedri could be the best midfielders in the world for the next 10 years (Gavi is good, but I think Bellinghams physical attributes are a differentiator)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4029 on: December 04, 2022, 10:46:11 PM »
The best three England central midfielders in my lifetime are in no particular order Robson, Gascoigne  and a name that may surprise a few and who sadly had his career cut short by injury , Colin Bell . Bellingham is up there with these three. Just remember though by the time he was twenty Robson could have played just about anywhere on the pitch and had broken his leg god knows how many times !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4030 on: December 05, 2022, 08:32:13 AM »
Think any of the 4 from England, Brazil, France and Argentina could lift the trophy. There is no standout team at this WC for me.

Bellingham is insanely good.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4031 on: December 05, 2022, 09:55:14 AM »
Think any of the 4 from England, Brazil, France and Argentina could lift the trophy. There is no standout team at this WC for me.

The winners of the England v France game are favourites for me.

The overall standard is pretty average to say the least.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4032 on: December 05, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »

The winners of the England v France game are favourites for me.

The overall standard is pretty average to say the least.

Really is. Will be interesting to see who gets it. I'd probably agree with you regarding the England/France game

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4033 on: December 05, 2022, 11:59:45 AM »
As my dear old mum used to say 'A faint heart never won a fair maiden'. Hope Gareth Southgate gives it a real go.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4034 on: December 05, 2022, 12:14:54 PM »
I anticipate he will return to 5 at the back for this one. Cannot see him being willing to try and attack them. If we play anything like we did in the first half an hour last night, the game will be lost already, we were lucky the players on the pitch were able to take control and get us through it

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4035 on: December 05, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
Better than Robbo was at 19, which is phenomenally good

We will agree to disagree here.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4036 on: December 05, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
We will agree to disagree here.

Me too. Robson could do it all. Score goals, be the best player at left back, at centre half. Bellingham is a good player (though people are going OTT) but Robson was better 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 12:42:17 PM by Atomic »

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4037 on: December 05, 2022, 12:42:43 PM »
Me too. Robson could do it all. Score goals, be the best player at left back, at centre half. Bellingham is a very good player but Robson was better
is that because he was so good or because the standard was comparatively lower at that time?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4038 on: December 05, 2022, 12:49:15 PM »
is that because he was so good or because the standard was comparatively lower at that time?

Have you seen the teams in this world cup? They'd struggle in the Championship. Poland, USA, Australia, Senegal, Japan would be lucky not to go down from the Championship not to mention Iran, Qatar and others. Jackson Irvine is upfront for Australia FFS.

The footballing landscape has changed, international football is now way inferior to club football.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4039 on: December 05, 2022, 12:52:55 PM »
Me too. Robson could do it all. Score goals, be the best player at left back, at centre half. Bellingham is a very good player but Robson was better

You'll never settle generational comparisons. Nostalgia seems to make everyone better and it seems like nobody can possibly be as good as many 60's/70's/80's players.  Personally I find it hard to believe footballers peaked 50 years ago and haven't been better at any time since. Particularly when most older players will freely admit how much foreigner players increased the skills levels, fitness and professionalism when they came over in the 90's.

Also, I don't think I'd be wrong to say the top division in England must have been made up mostly of Brits in the 60's and 70's for instance.   So if you took all the foreigners out now, how many brits on prem benches would be in first teams and how many brits in the championship would be in prem squads? That would obviously mean the quality was lower and then your current England players would look better still because the skill gap would be wider.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4040 on: December 05, 2022, 01:05:56 PM »
You'll never settle generational comparisons. Nostalgia seems to make everyone better and it seems like nobody can possibly be as good as many 60's/70's/80's players.  Personally I find it hard to believe footballers peaked 50 years ago and haven't been better at any time since. Particularly when most older players will freely admit how much foreigner players increased the skills levels, fitness and professionalism when they came over in the 90's.

Also, I don't think I'd be wrong to say the top division in England must have been made up mostly of Brits in the 60's and 70's for instance.   So if you took all the foreigners out now, how many brits on prem benches would be in first teams and how many brits in the championship would be in prem squads? That would obviously mean the quality was lower and then your current England players would look better still because the skill gap would be wider.

It's worth remembering that British clubs absolutely dominated European competitions in the 70's and 80's. Numerous British clubs won European competitions.

The game is different now, different laws, different equipment, different science etc so it's hard to compare.

However, Robson was the best midfielder in Europe along with Platini. Is Bellingham really better than Busquets or Modric or Pedri or Pogba etc. He's not even an automatic choice for England yet and how do his stats stack up? Is he more versatile than Robson? No.

Robson came back from three leg breaks which destroyed his development yet he STILL became the best CM I've seen.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4041 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:47 PM »

However, Robson was the best midfielder in Europe along with Platini. Is Bellingham really better than Busquets or Modric or Pedri or Pogba etc. He's not even an automatic choice for England yet and how do his stats stack up? Is he more versatile than Robson? No.

I'd take him over Busquets now, not sure about Modric. I haven't seen much of him recently.  I'd certainly take him over Pogba although as I said earlier I think Pogba has everything but the attitude. He isn't the best midfielder in the world though but maybe he could be.

Is he better at 19 than Robson, I couldn't say. However I do think there is often a reluctance from people older enough to see those players to accept anyone is better than their childhood heroes.

I think you can debate the talent of each as (if the same talent had same upbringing, opportunities and challenges) and that is perhaps slightly different argument. The best should still be one of the best whichever era.

However I do think if you could lift and drop a 1980's footballer into todays football and vice versa, the 80s footballer ultimately finds it harder and would be worse relatively than the current player.  (Personal opinion of course).

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4042 on: December 05, 2022, 03:06:00 PM »

Holland getting better every game. Although van Gaal 's system, not exactly free flowing 'total football',  it seems to be working.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4043 on: December 05, 2022, 03:16:14 PM »
Holland getting better every game. Although van Gaal 's system, not exactly free flowing 'total football',  it seems to be working.

I think Holland are an ok team but for me they are outside that pack of 4 personally. I'd have Spain as my 5th team then Holland behind them i guess.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4044 on: December 05, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
Too often in the past, the pressure of playing for England has been too much for some players who failed to show their best form for the three lions.
Bellingham and I think Foden are such confident players that they relish playing for England and are able to show their best form and who knows what that could lead to.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4045 on: December 05, 2022, 06:22:13 PM »
I think Holland are an ok team but for me they are outside that pack of 4 personally. I'd have Spain as my 5th team then Holland behind them i guess.

Personally, my top 4 is France, Brazil, Spain and Argentina, with us sitting on the fringes of that group (alongside Italy, Netherlands, Croatia, Belgium, Portugal and Denmark). Until I see us beating other top sides regularly then I don't put us in the big 4 bracket.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4046 on: December 05, 2022, 07:06:45 PM »
Personally, my top 4 is France, Brazil, Spain and Argentina, with us sitting on the fringes of that group (alongside Italy, Netherlands, Croatia, Belgium, Portugal and Denmark). Until I see us beating other top sides regularly then I don't put us in the big 4 bracket.

I wouldn’t be worried about Argentina particularly. I’ve not seen anything from them to justify their status coming in to this tournament. Not to say we would win, but I’ve been very underwhelmed. 

France and Brazil the two favourites in that order

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4047 on: December 06, 2022, 04:14:59 PM »
Spain not impressing against Morocco. Expected them to brush them aside. I'll keep them in 5th spot.

Agree with JC that Argentina are not impressive however Messi seems determined to drag them through in his last WC

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4048 on: December 07, 2022, 12:47:25 PM »

It is because he was that good, 100%

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4049 on: December 09, 2022, 09:31:21 PM »
With all of these close, tight quarter finals, I've a bad feeling France are going to stuff us tomorrow. One of the favourites need to keep their bottle and the French do have the experience.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:45:21 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing