Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 781293 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #1675 on: June 20, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »
We are moving on to knockout tournament where teams are not going to be able to just sit back. We will have to take our chances but i'd expect there to be more of them and of a better quality.
But we still won't win  :-X
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1676 on: June 20, 2016, 10:27:25 PM »
We are moving on to knockout tournament where teams are not going to be able to just sit back. We will have to take our chances but i'd expect there to be more of them and of a better quality.
But we still won't win  :-X

England will make 1/4s easy x
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1677 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »
A lot of huff and puff tonight with no cutting edge.
The amount of space on the wings was wasted.
The England team kept being sucked into the middle, especially at corners. The amount of time the ball went over to the opposite wing was criminal. No player was stationed out there to return the ball or stretch their defence wider.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1678 on: June 20, 2016, 10:34:53 PM »
A lot of huff and puff tonight with no cutting edge.
The amount of space on the wings was wasted.
The England team kept being sucked into the middle, especially at corners. The amount of time the ball went over to the opposite wing was criminal. No player was stationed out there to return the ball or stretch their defence wider.

As much as I could be wrong. We missed Sterling.. *cry
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1679 on: June 20, 2016, 11:42:35 PM »

Sturridge is NOT our best striker. He's a flicker and is wasteful.

He clearly is our best striker, though Rashford may come good, the other 2 are flat track bullies, one relies on pub football to get in behind the other will be as out of his depth in the CL next season as he is in this tournament.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1680 on: June 21, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »

He clearly is our best striker, though Rashford may come good, the other 2 are flat track bullies, one relies on pub football to get in behind
the other will be as out of his depth in the CL next season as he is in this tournament.

That one comment renders your entire argument invalid.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1681 on: June 21, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »
Personally I thought it was like watching England v the Albion. We certainly had the chances but Slovakia defended like madmen.... as I was watching it I thought '10 men behind the ball, constant defending, where have I seen this before?'
Then I remembered......
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1682 on: June 21, 2016, 08:00:54 AM »
so the last Two groups of tournements we win one game out of 6, nothing changes. a damp squib. Hodgsons days are numbered, so boring to watch
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1683 on: June 21, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
That was just as bad as anything served up by us and Pulis last season and we have people saying we played well. Jacko is absolutely spot on, we have zero cutting edge, no game plan. People moaning about a lack of a Plan B, I'm not sure what Plan A is.

As for the arguement that better teams will give us more space to play in - are you suggesting that Slovakia weren't good enough for us to beat? Leave it out, a half-decent team would batter us.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1684 on: June 21, 2016, 08:46:15 AM »
I've enjoyed watching us at this tournament so far because we've seen some good build up play. Something I've been starved of watching Albion! I think Roy has made great progress with this squad overall since the 2014 debacle. We look a potentially dangerous team who need a final step to become clinical in a way the best teams are.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can make that extra step with Roy as he's still faffing around trying to find his best team and system which is not good enough at this stage. Maybe he should be in charge of the U21s/ development teams and we get a first team manager who is more decisive?

I'd love to be proven wrong but unless Roy quickly fixes on his best team/ system and leaves them to it, we won't get through much further.

For me Quarter finals are acceptable, anything less is failure and anything more a bonus. Afterall, this is about results not performances...............Come on England

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1685 on: June 21, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
oh well its saved me a few quid, i was going to go over for the saturday game in Paris
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1686 on: June 21, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
I've enjoyed watching us at this tournament so far because we've seen some good build up play. Something I've been starved of watching Albion! I think Roy has made great progress with this squad overall since the 2014 debacle. We look a potentially dangerous team who need a final step to become clinical in a way the best teams are.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can make that extra step with Roy as he's still faffing around trying to find his best team and system which is not good enough at this stage. Maybe he should be in charge of the U21s/ development teams and we get a first team manager who is more decisive?

I'd love to be proven wrong but unless Roy quickly fixes on his best team/ system and leaves them to it, we won't get through much further.

For me Quarter finals are acceptable, anything less is failure and anything more a bonus. Afterall, this is about results not performances...............Come on England

That performance last night was nigh on exactly the same as watching the Albion, the only difference was some slow passing between the centre halves and three midfielders. When we got in in the attacking areas we created little, our crossing was poor and our strikers looked painfully isolated - Vardy probably touched the ball three times in the second half.

I'm not having a go at Hodgson, I love Roy. I can't get my head round people thinking what England did last night was good and what Pulis does being the exact opposite. It was just as boring, lacking in exactly the same areas and the end result was the same. Baffling.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1687 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
Well its not been the best group stage, struggled badly to break down more defensive sides yet goals conceded against Russia and Wales were very poor. At least we are through and may actually create some better clear cut chances in the knockout stage where sides can't really afford to sit back so much.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1688 on: June 21, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »
One more thing - Eric Dier - absolutely magnificent. He's some player.

Agreed Dier is a wonderful footballer. Passing range and the way he patrols the middle is excellent news for England. We have found a star again
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1689 on: June 21, 2016, 09:22:22 AM »
As much as I could be wrong. We missed Sterling.. *cry

How can we miss Sterling....he is an awful player

Shouldnt even be in the squad for me

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1690 on: June 21, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »

Sturridge is NOT our best striker. He's a flicker and is wasteful.

When fit Sturridge IS our best striker, I have to agree with Jacko on that one

Sturridge is also more creative than Sterling

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1691 on: June 21, 2016, 09:26:13 AM »

That one comment renders your entire argument invalid.

No it doesnt fella, I might not agree with Kane and Vardy being just flat track bullies but you cant help but agree that Kane looks out of his depth at the min and Vardy is not being used correctly. I think Sturridge is our best striker and Rashford has more to his game than both Vardy and Kane have

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1692 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
Agreed Dier is a wonderful footballer. Passing range and the way he patrols the middle is excellent news for England. We have found a star again

We can learn a lot from the way that he was brought through the youth system abroad. Says a lot about our academy system that one of our best young players came through the Portuguese system.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1693 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
That performance last night was nigh on exactly the same as watching the Albion, the only difference was some slow passing between the centre halves and three midfielders. When we got in in the attacking areas we created little, our crossing was poor and our strikers looked painfully isolated - Vardy probably touched the ball three times in the second half.

I'm not having a go at Hodgson, I love Roy. I can't get my head round people thinking what England did last night was good and what Pulis does being the exact opposite. It was just as boring, lacking in exactly the same areas and the end result was the same. Baffling.

Enjoyment is relative and subjective so I can't say why but I've seen England keep the ball better in the first three matches than at any point in the past 20 years.  We have genuinely good attacking players with trickery and I've enjoyed the fact we've spent most of the three games on the front foot - unlike Albion who play more like Slovakia did last night.

The game last night petered out because we ran out of ideas, energy and basically Slovakia did an Albion - 10 men behind the ball and defended very deep. The only real way around this is width, stretching them. Therefore, why did Roy keep bringing on central attacking players - Kane, Alli, Rooney (although I could understand Rooney cause he should've started in the first place).

Roy has made some strange decisions lately - which usually  means he's run out of ideas.

He needs to get back to basics and build a first 11 with three or four subs who he can rely on for the remainder of the tournament. If we come up against Hungary, Iceland or Austria can you see them not defending for 90mins and try to snatch one just as Russia, Wales and Slovakia did? The same problems need different answers/ responses or you get the same results.............

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1694 on: June 21, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »
Can anyone please tell me what Jordan Henderson offers as a football player? (Especially an INTERNATIONAL Class one) Even my Liverpool supporting friends can't name 1 thing.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1695 on: June 21, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
Enjoyment is relative and subjective so I can't say why but I've seen England keep the ball better in the first three matches than at any point in the past 20 years.  We have genuinely good attacking players with trickery and I've enjoyed the fact we've spent most of the three games on the front foot - unlike Albion who play more like Slovakia did last night.

The game last night petered out because we ran out of ideas, energy and basically Slovakia did an Albion - 10 men behind the ball and defended very deep. The only real way around this is width, stretching them. Therefore, why did Roy keep bringing on central attacking players - Kane, Alli, Rooney (although I could understand Rooney cause he should've started in the first place).

Roy has made some strange decisions lately - which usually  means he's run out of ideas.

He needs to get back to basics and build a first 11 with three or four subs who he can rely on for the remainder of the tournament. If we come up against Hungary, Iceland or Austria can you see them not defending for 90mins and try to snatch one just as Russia, Wales and Slovakia did? The same problems need different answers/ responses or you get the same results.............

Slovakia played well, had a game plan and deserved their point. We have no divine right to beat these teams especially as we aren't very good ourselves.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1696 on: June 21, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
I agree England aren't that good, we never are as good as many think (not least the press).

Like I say enjoyment is subjective. Slovakia defended well but football (and results) to me is about scoring goals. A good game of football is about two teams trying to score for me.

Onto the next - maybe we'll play a team who will give it more of a go..............?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1697 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
Well its not been the best group stage, struggled badly to break down more defensive sides yet goals conceded against Russia and Wales were very poor. At least we are through and may actually create some better clear cut chances in the knockout stage where sides can't really afford to sit back so much.

All they have to do is get us to a penalty shoot out.
Game over  :-[
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1698 on: June 21, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »
If Hungary can beat Portugal and Iceland get something out of Austria we could end up with Iceland for a last 16 tie.
I'm not too worried who we play from that group TBH
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1699 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »
We'll get Portugal and Ronaldo will rip us to shreds.