Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 781280 times)

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
If the corner is awful then it is 100% the fault of the corner taker.

I'll make a gap as the full stop didn't have the desired effect on my last post.

I question him being a full 90 player as he doesn't have the energy to play box to box like he once did, yet I give him credit for his goal. Unfortunately there are very few quality players coming through at the moment, so we have to keep picking people like Lampard and Gerrard, great players in the past but after a full season will they have the fitness in a hot Brazil?
Allllllll aboard

John Rest

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #476 on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:51 PM »
Quality performance, especially the first half.

Great result.

Roy seems to have taken the hand break off. :o

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #477 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Strangely find myself agreeing with Jacko  :o  ;D, Gerrard was immense, his drive & desire were very noticeable in the last two games, he's still got that hunger & the younger players will benefit from his attitude.

Roy's getting the best out of the players & there's a good competition for places now, with players like Walker, Chamberlain, Walcott, Cole, Barkley, FOSTER, Richards etc etc.... still to come in, I think the future looks bright.

The one area England haven't got lots of options is up front & whilst not wanting to put any added pressure on the lad & if he was to continue his current form, would Uncle Roy consider Saido? Managers in the past have looked for a surprise package to take to the World Cup so you never know.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
How we will fare at the World cup will save for another day, lets just talk about last nights performance.

We actually played quite well and were decent to watch, especially first half. The past two games have definitely being a lot more enjoyable than what we have been used to and I do believe that we have a good chance of continuing in the same vain and we can actually look forward to watching England again. There is more to come I think........  :-X

The star performers last night were Rooney and Townsend for me.
Rooney has really stepped up to the plate recently and I think its just the sheer pressure on him in in particular that has effected him in the past, whereas last night in particular he really looked like the experienced head and brought the team up a level in my eyes. I would say he is the only World class player of present in the squad in terms that they could easily fit into the elite clubs of world football right now. Gerrard has gone down a couple of levels and is not quite what he was but still crucial. Townsend just carried on from Friday and arguably looked even more dangerous.

Sturridge disappointed me a lot in both games, suppose we say it about a lot but he didn't look as half as much as a threat and on the ball as he does for Liverpool. Even when he didn't have it he just looked really laboured and there were a few times where the runs for the striker he is for Liverpool were right there and he just held his position. The poster above mentioned Berahino which I am delighte he got the goals for the U21's but it amazes me Defoe just doesn't get the chances. I still think Sturridge can come good but  Defoe just seems to make up the numbers. I've always wanted Rooney and Defoe partnership but I doubt he will get a good enough chance which is a shame for him really, possibly his lack of Premier football at Spurs his costing him  :-\

Gerrard seems to be getting a lot of praise, I don't think he was that good. On several occasions he gave the ball away with a poor first touch and a sloppy pass, a few times to the big dangerman Lewandowski as well. As for the corner which led to the counter attack, I will defend him as if you look at it I think one of the two centre backs for us (not sure which one) was very close to getting a powerful header on it, its the fact we left plenty of open space on our right that we struggled with that one. As I have said, he wasn't at his best but I still think he warrants that place in the team as his goal typifies what he is all about and what he can bring. Strangely, Gerrard does look more suited for England at the moment, than Lampard. Whilst for club, Lampard looks to have the edge.

So his place his almost nailed on, its just finding the partner. Wilshere can hopefully have a good season and recover from a bit of a niggling start after showing real class last year, he would probably be my choice as long as he can re discover around the level he is capable of. Carrick did quite well last night but I am much more excited to see how Barkely does this season, he perhaps could sneak in just like Townsend. Been excellent so far this season, potential to form a great partnership with Rooney as well I reckon.

Defensively, its still a bit hmmm.........
Left back is great, we have the attacking threat of Baines and I would still say the better more balanced option of Cole. Baines has probably done enough to hang on to the spot for now but I saw enough to say Cole is still the better player.
Jag and Cahill are looking great for club and Cahill has come on leaps and bounds individually for club and country in my eyes. The partnership still looks suspect and there doesn't look to be that much challengers..... perhaps Dawson.

Right back, everyone gets excited over Walker and Johnson attacking wise but defensively they are probably the weakest link we have which is not ideal considering their position. Like a few others Micah Richards Is my favourite, just needs to recover from his injury problems and get some game time Would be great for him to force his way into the squad at least after the trouble he has had which has really dented his progression.

Plus we have all the players that Don't ask me to choose luv has mentioned to come back, so overall I'm feeling a bit more positive with what we have and the potential depth we could have for a squad.

Lets not talk about the World Cup yet, im looking at the friendlies in November to see a few more of the lads given a chance.
Germany will be a great test and occasion for them all.

Delighted things are looking up for Roy, after my doubts he really got the team to produce in the pivotal final games.  ;D 

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »
Just a quick note on the Under 21's.

Ravel Morrison looks promising but his attitude is bugging me already and I've only seen him a couple of times.

And well done Saido  :)  Again  :D

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #480 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Just a quick note on the Under 21's.

Ravel Morrison looks promising but his attitude is bugging me already and I've only seen him a couple of times.

And well done Saido  :)  Again  :D

Didn't Morrison have a bust up with Zaha? I haven't seen any if the u-21 game other than Berahino's first, but I heard that happened?
Allllllll aboard

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #481 on: October 16, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
What a fantastic match! I thought we played really well. Looked a little shaky in defense at times, but I'm sure Roy will sort it out. Really looking forward to the World Cup now!

Who would be in your squad? I was going to start another thread, but figured it would probably be best in here?

GK - Hart, Foster, Ruddy

Def - Walker, Jones, Cahill, Jagielka, M Richards, Lescott, Cole, Baines

Mid - Townsend, Gerrard, Lampard, Wilshere, Carrick, Barkley, Milner

Str - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Walcott, Welbeck.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #482 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
Didn't Morrison have a bust up with Zaha? I haven't seen any if the u-21 game other than Berahino's first, but I heard that happened?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/morrison-clashes-zaha-u21-duty-103405999.html
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #483 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Good performance. Liked the link up play of Rooney, Welbeck and Sturridge.

Job done. Well done Roy.
Thought wellbeck and sturridge seem quite awkward when they are on together?
At half time I would have put an extra midfielder on and Defoe , and took both off, but Roy knows best  :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #484 on: October 16, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
Thought wellbeck and sturridge seem quite awkward when they are on together?
At half time I would have put an extra midfielder on and Defoe , and took both off, but Roy knows best  :D

I thought there was plenty of promising signs and a few moments which were awkward but given time, I think all three can establish an effective partnership together - after-all, they're pretty much our future.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #485 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
I was pretty pleased with our two performances and glad we are going to the World Cup. Andros Townsned impressed me the most he runs at defenders and beats them, also scored a great goal too. That was a great call by Roy Hodgson to put him in the team for two big games. I'm still not convinced by Welbeck and Sturridge yet but I think the more that the front free will play together the more dangerous and effective they will become.

In Roy we trust
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #486 on: November 07, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Goalkeepers
Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy

Defenders
Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker

Midfielders
Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere

Forwards
Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/england/News/2013/england-squad-v-chile-wembley.aspx#h2LTcG5ELrm1Xbr4.99

Very happy to see Adam Lallana included. He's always impressed me whenever I've seen him feature. Very good on the ball.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
My team for the game tonight:

Forster

Johnson
Smalling
Cahill
Baines

Henderson
Lampard
Lallana

Sturridge
Defoe
Rodriguez

For Germany:
Hart

Walker
Cahill
Jagielka
Baines

Gerrard
Barkley
Townsend

Sturridge
Rooney
Welbeck

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
Phil Jones has quite a feminine look about him
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #489 on: November 15, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
What a load of rubbish England

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #490 on: November 15, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
What a load of rubbish England

Not many positives I agree with the defence pretty poor against quality opposition - Johnson and Baines pathetic as defenders tonight.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #491 on: November 15, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »
I didnt watch much of it, was in and out the house. I still kept thinking that Cole is a better option but i thought give Baines a chance to prove himself in the two games, in terms of defensively. Especially while he has that momentum wave. Dissapointed to hear he was a weak link, heard from Lampard post match that Lallana did well, any other positives individually??

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #492 on: November 16, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »
I think in fairness to Hodgson, it was an ideal opportunity to experiment with formations and personnel, and the same applies on Tuesday, with a view to then concentrating on the likely squad and using any remaining matches and training sessions to focus totally on how we're going to approach the World Cup.

So I guess there was an inevitability that it wouldn't be much of a spectacle, which is obviously a shame for those who paid for tickets, but as with all friendly matches, most accept that their real purpose is for experimentation, at least at International level.

The timing of Ben Foster's injury isn't ideal as I'm sure, if fit, he'd have started last night, but obviously Roy is more than aware of what a great keeper Foster is so hopefully he'll be in the squad for Brazil, if not the number 1 keeper.

Like all those who support England, expectations for the Brazil World Cup are fairly limited, and it's hard to see past the likes of Brazil. Argentina, Spain and Germany but, as always, we live in hope?!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #493 on: November 20, 2013, 01:08:53 PM »
Hart once again showed why, in terms of shot stopping, he is England's Number 1, but in terms of decision making, he very much isn't.

Ashley Cole was caught out of position a fair amount I thought, and didn't have any desire to track back. Usually relied on Gerrard bailing him out.

Townsend did well, but he needs to add another dimension to his game. We have pacey wingers, such as Walcott. I realise he's a left-footed right winger, which is something different, but if teams are going to double up on him, like Germany did, he needs to start exploiting that for the team's benefit. Cracking shot that hit the post, mind.

Cleverly didn't impress me either, other than a lovely reverse pass for either Sturridge or Townsend.

Thought Lallana didn't get to see much of the ball, neither did Rooney.

Germany seemed to hold us at arms length for most of the match. We seemed to have a lot of possession but whenever we got close to threatening, they closed the door on us.

He/him

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:51 PM »
The egos have landed! With a mighty thud. Wont waste my time watching this sorry shower in Brazil.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #495 on: November 20, 2013, 03:15:12 PM »
The fact that Weidenfeller didn't have to make a save says a lot.  Townsend was unlucky to hit the post but otherwise it was pretty poor. Germany looked good though even though it was an experimental side that they put out.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »
I said last night before the game, lose this and we will win the world cup...

ill refer back to this post whether I was right or wrong after the WC2014

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #497 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
From the Telegraph:

England are facing the increased possibility of a World Cup ‘group of death’ after Fifa confirmed on Tuesday that Roy Hodgson’s unseeded team could join the pot of African and South American countries in Friday’s draw.
It had been expected that England would remain in pot four and that France, as the lowest ranked European team, would be grouped with the African and South American teams in pot two.
Fifa, though, revealed that there would be a separate random selection ahead of the main World Cup draw to determine which of the nine unseeded European teams was moved to pot two.
That team could not then be drawn against Switzerland or Belgium – the weakest of the eight seeds – and would have to face one of the top four South American teams as well as another European country, such as Italy or Holland.
The worst-case scenario for England is that they are moved to pot two and drawn against Brazil or Argentina as well as Italy and the United States.

Should England remain in pot four with the other unseeded European teams, they could face a relatively weak group of Switzerland, Algeria and Honduras.
Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, went into little detail when asked yesterday why France had not been automatically placed in pot two. “The decision was taken by Fifa’s executive committee, all the confederation presidents,” he said. “We are at a draw and we should have a draw. It’s easy to say it. Let us draw all the teams, and not pick one out.”
Jérôme Valcke, the Fifa general secretary, confirmed that the European country moved to pot two could not play one of the European seeds in their group and so would then face Brazil, Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay from pot one.
In order to avoid a scenario where three European teams are drawn together in one group, the South American seeds will make up a special sub-pot X from pot one.
As part of Fifa’s attempt to make the groups as geographically diverse as possible, the South American teams from pot one also cannot be drawn with Chile or Ecuador from pot two. “It’s not easy to understand – the first take it took me some time,” admitted Valcke.
England have benefited from relatively kind draws in recent World Cups, although they could only qualify second from a group containing the US, Slovenia and Algeria in 2010. They also struggled to beat both Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 group phase.
Starting yesterday, there will be four full rehearsals in an attempt to ensure nothing goes wrong during Friday’s draw when the balls will be selected by representatives of the eight World Cup-winning nations. As well as England’s Sir Geoff Hurst, they will include Uruguay’s Alcides Ghiggia, Argentina’s Mario Kempes, Germany’s Lothar Matthaus, France’s Zinedine Zidane, Brazil’s Cafu, Italy’s Fabio Cannavaro and Spain’s Fernando Hierro.
Fifa also confirmed on Tuesday that it would not change the scheduled kick-off times in the hotter northern Brazilian cities of Manaus, Salvador, Natal and Fortaleza where temperatures are likely to approach 95F.
Hodgson, the England manager, has admitted that he is particularly concerned by the prospect of playing in the tropical Amazon rainforest conditions of Manaus. “In Mexico in 1986, lots of games were played at noon time,” said Blatter. “I think athletes now are used to playing in conditions that are not all the best. You can’t make everyone happy.”
Valcke added that the decision had been made after consideration of the medical reports. “We were perfectly aware of the conditions when the match schedule was organised.”
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli is still urging Fifa to allow two time-outs of two minutes during each matches for rehydration. Prandelli said that “eight out of 11” players asked him to come off during the Confederations Cup in Brazil last summer.
That competition was played in six of the 12 venues for next year, with Fifa confident that Cuiaba, Manaus, Natal and Porto Alegre will be ready by January.
Curitiba is, according to Valcke, facing “most problems” and Fifa does not expect it to be ready for its first match until the end of February.
At the Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo, where two workers died last week, Fifa is still awaiting the results of an investigation. It is still expected to host the opening match of the World Cup involving Brazil.
“We are not in a crisis where we are looking for any alternative to Sao Paulo,” said Valcke. “Based on the information we have, we are confident that they can deliver on time.”
The prize-money for next summer’s World Cup is also due to be confirmed on Wednesday, with Valcke expecting a “significant increase” on the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

What do you guys think? We are due a tough group but I do believe we'll get out of whatever group we are in (a fools hope).Very much looking forward to the draw regardless!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #498 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:27 AM »
Any of you folks going to Brazil?

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Peru, Honduras and Ecuador will be Englands world cup warm up games