Author Topic: 15 Dec 2020 Man City 1 Albion 1  (Read 36906 times)

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2020, 01:49:43 PM »
Sadly if Man City play anything like they can we will get beat comfortably, but that doesnt mean we should wave the white flag or put out a weakened team.

There have been signs this season they are not quite firing on all cyclinders, if i was an Albion player these are the sort of games i would want to be involved in, test yourselves against the best.

As for tonight, i dont know how things are with Gibbs, i think it was last month Bilic hinted he needed to up his efforts in training and the last two games we have played a right winger at left wing back so i am assuming he isnt flavour of the month.

If that is the case i would play Diangana as left wing back, get him back in the team, he showed last season he can defend and with Furlong the other side, it means we can at least give them something to think about going forward.

Thats what we have to do, anyone goes there and just sits behind the ball and accepts defeat gets one, of course City will have all the ball but we still need to have something going forward and give the defenders a breather.

I would also have Livermore in for Sawyers, Livermore will sit and try and break play up and add a bit of bite and i know some dont like it but he is the best we have for that job available, Krovinovic and Gallagher are both hard working midfielders so they will do there bit box to box (hopefully!)

I would play Phillips upfront where has played for Scotland, again he has pace, he has strength and if on form can give them something to think about. I would play Robinson behind him, he also works hard, can create a chance or goal but make sure he knows he will be helping the centre midfield a lot too.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »
I'll be amazed if we concede less than 5 tonight. We always seem to give stuttering teams a much needed confidence boost.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 02:27:03 PM »
Sadly if Man City play anything like they can we will get beat comfortably, but that doesnt mean we should wave the white flag or put out a weakened team.

There have been signs this season they are not quite firing on all cyclinders, if i was an Albion player these are the sort of games i would want to be involved in, test yourselves against the best.

As for tonight, i dont know how things are with Gibbs, i think it was last month Bilic hinted he needed to up his efforts in training and the last two games we have played a right winger at left wing back so i am assuming he isnt flavour of the month.

If that is the case i would play Diangana as left wing back, get him back in the team, he showed last season he can defend and with Furlong the other side, it means we can at least give them something to think about going forward.

Thats what we have to do, anyone goes there and just sits behind the ball and accepts defeat gets one, of course City will have all the ball but we still need to have something going forward and give the defenders a breather.

I would also have Livermore in for Sawyers, Livermore will sit and try and break play up and add a bit of bite and i know some dont like it but he is the best we have for that job available, Krovinovic and Gallagher are both hard working midfielders so they will do there bit box to box (hopefully!)

I would play Phillips upfront where has played for Scotland, again he has pace, he has strength and if on form can give them something to think about. I would play Robinson behind him, he also works hard, can create a chance or goal but make sure he knows he will be helping the centre midfield a lot too.

Would not argue with any of that 79, however I have noticed Diangana seems to play better when Gibbs is in the wing back position behind him. Any thoughts?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »
I had a dream brothers and sisters, in which a new variant SARS-COV 099 swept the north west but only affected people whose pay packets were the size of the Gross National Product of a small African country.

This meant Guardiola had to play his youth team.

We only lost 3-0

Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
Hopefully we can do well as we are under no pressure as we will not be expected to get a result.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
Just put the b team out as much as we can. Save the others for Villa game.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »
I dont see Gibbs and Diangana playing on the left together anytime soon but it may be Gibbs plays left wing back and Diangana occupies the position behind the striker.

Rightly or wrongly we seem to of settled on this 3 at the back with wing backs (personally i think its worth perserving with, since the aside, Fulham and Palace games aside we have been quite tight) It suits Furlong as he can defend but is better going forward and i would say a fully focused Gibbs is the same, The problem is Gibbs just doesnt seem to be in favour at the moment.

I think the issue with 3 at the back and wingbacks is how much we offer going forward, looking at how we setup now i am not sure where Grant fits in. I remember seeing him playing on the left for Charlton and he tore somebody apart and i think Huddersfield fans said he is better there but for us he has become our main striker and i dont think it suits him.

That striker role is key for us as its our outlet in this league, we have to be able to get up the pitch and have somebody bring people into play and give the defenders something to think about, even Austin and Phillips up there against Newcastle gave them something to think about, i think you play a Robinson or Grant just behind the striker, at the moment that would be Robinson for me as i think he offers more than Grant.

Ideally you want somebody who is quick, got a good touch and strong and mobile, i know his finishing wasnt great but i think a Rondon type would be ideal in this team, realistically we arent going to have a striker with all the attributes we need and who gets 20 goals a season as they wouldnt be at Albion very long if they did!

Ollie Watkins would of been ideal but we dont pay that sort of money, i would also of had a look at Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley but there will be players in europe who fit that striker role we need (and there will be people on here who know more about them than i do!)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
I dont see Gibbs and Diangana playing on the left together anytime soon but it may be Gibbs plays left wing back and Diangana occupies the position behind the striker.

Rightly or wrongly we seem to of settled on this 3 at the back with wing backs (personally i think its worth perserving with, since the aside, Fulham and Palace games aside we have been quite tight) It suits Furlong as he can defend but is better going forward and i would say a fully focused Gibbs is the same, The problem is Gibbs just doesnt seem to be in favour at the moment.

I think the issue with 3 at the back and wingbacks is how much we offer going forward, looking at how we setup now i am not sure where Grant fits in. I remember seeing him playing on the left for Charlton and he tore somebody apart and i think Huddersfield fans said he is better there but for us he has become our main striker and i dont think it suits him.

That striker role is key for us as its our outlet in this league, we have to be able to get up the pitch and have somebody bring people into play and give the defenders something to think about, even Austin and Phillips up there against Newcastle gave them something to think about, i think you play a Robinson or Grant just behind the striker, at the moment that would be Robinson for me as i think he offers more than Grant.

Ideally you want somebody who is quick, got a good touch and strong and mobile, i know his finishing wasnt great but i think a Rondon type would be ideal in this team, realistically we arent going to have a striker with all the attributes we need and who gets 20 goals a season as they wouldnt be at Albion very long if they did!

Ollie Watkins would of been ideal but we dont pay that sort of money, i would also of had a look at Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley but there will be players in europe who fit that striker role we need (and there will be people on here who know more about them than i do!)

It might not be a popular opinion but I still think Deeney would have done a great job for us. You certainly couldn't question his commitment and he'd have been another leader on the pitch.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
Just put the b team out as much as we can. Save the others for Villa game.
I think that would be a mistake. We often pick up points from hot favourites, as we did v Chelsea and almost v Spurs, and who is to say we rest all our best players today and they still lose to Villa. We need to try and get points from every game.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »
I think that would be a mistake. We often pick up points from hot favourites, as we did v Chelsea and almost v Spurs, and who is to say we rest all our best players today and they still lose to Villa. We need to try and get points from every game.

Well he hasn't gone for it any other time recently, why start now against our bogey team of the last 10 years?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
Can see nothing but another defeat tonight.

Any points claimed tonight will be a bonus but I really cannot see us picking anything up.

Amazingly Amazon Prime Video has been added to Sky Q so I can watch on my TV. Problem is do I want to see us get another dicking live  :'(
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »
Interesting stat:
We have never won a Premier League game on a Tuesday night, losing 15 and drawing 12 of 27 previous contests

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »
Least on Amazon when our net ripples it will be in super shiny 4k.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:38:14 PM by gazberg »

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Absolutely dreading this game. Dreading it.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »
I'm expecting City to declare at half time..  😟

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
4-5-1?

JOhnstone

Gibbs
Ajayi
PShea
FUrlong

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Gallagher
Diangana

Grant

Button, PELTIER, Ivanovich, Krov, Grosk Austin and Robinson

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 07:04:57 PM by gazberg »

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 07:04:21 PM »
JOhnstone
Gibbs
Ajayi
PShea
Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Gallagher
Diangana
Grant

We're only playing with 10?

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
Swift ninja edit  :D

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
4-5-1?

JOhnstone

Gibbs
Ajayi
PShea
FUrlong

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Gallagher
Diangana

Grant

Or 4-3-3

Interchangeable.

I prefer it to 5 at the back

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »
City -

Ederson

Mendy
Ake
Dias
Cancelo

Gundogan
De Bruyne
Rodrigo

Sterling
Foden
Jesus

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
Or 4-3-3

Interchangeable.

YEs, very true and i also prefer 4 at the back compared to 5

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »
Or 4-3-3

Interchangeable.

Livermore can drop to make a back 5 when defending, and I'm sure we'll see Sawyers drop when we're trying to get the ball out from the back.

Have to be careful of De Bruyne in that inside right channel. Going to be a horrid time for Gibbs, I fear.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »
Swift ninja edit  :D

About as swift as Branislav.......  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2020, 07:11:28 PM »
I don’t like three at the back, but what chance do we have of getting a solid shape and system when he keeps changing it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2020, 07:12:49 PM »
About as swift as Branislav.......  ;) .

Errr slow internet here mate  ;D