Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 509658 times)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #450 on: August 02, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
At the price Reading want im simply not comfortable with the outlay and potential value for money.

I'd sooner get a more expirience player in on loan for a season or on a free/nominal and pay them £40k plus.
I only go for the beer.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #451 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:17 AM »
Leicester city want him now according to reading fc version of CL.

They were said to be in for him late last week the only thing that is new is that Sven has confirmed their interest. We will be playing a waiting game for Long hoping the price drops as the window gets closer to closing.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: August 02, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
At the price Reading want im simply not comfortable with the outlay and potential value for money.

I'd sooner get a more expirience player in on loan for a season or on a free/nominal and pay them £40k plus.

Problem is, who is available?

Off the top of my head I cannot think of anyone for that price.

With the way we do business there will always be a small element of risk in terms of experience because experience demands more of a fee, as does goals.

I agree that 7mill is over the top and would not be comfortable paying more than 3 million for Long.

There is the other issue of fan expectation as well. With Odemwingie we all thought that just over 1million if he doesn't bag us goals then we haven't lost a great deal.

However, at 7mill some fans would expect him to score every game he plays. We as fans are not used to spending that kind of money and I can see the pressure that would be on this guys shoulders from some of the fans.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:58:48 AM by dangerman »

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #453 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »
They were said to be in for him late last week the only thing that is new is that Sven has confirmed their interest. We will be playing a waiting game for Long hoping the price drops as the window gets closer to closing.

With all this overt public interest from a number of clubs, it's possible that his price won't drop all that much.
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #454 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
With all this overt public interest from a number of clubs, it's possible that his price won't drop all that much.

Depends if they are willing to sell to a club who will be a rival for promotion next season like West Ham and Leicester will be when there is Premier League interest from us. They will be pretty desperate to get a fee for him as the window gets closer to closing or they simply lose him for nothing next summer taking a massive risk in the hope they get promoted.

Then there is what the player wants, he may not want to join another Championship club so he may force their hand a little towards the end of the window as they wont want to lose him for nothing next year. I honestly believe that the reported £7m they want will drop a couple of million but we will have to break our transfer record for him but do hope that it is a deal structured in the right way so any fee isn't all up front and he has to be a success to earn the add ons for Reading with clauses for goals scored, appearances and staying in the Premier League etc.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #455 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
I think we'll move on from him at the prices stated.  Just cant see us spending that kind of money on a unproven player whose contract has a year left to run.

If no one else comes in for him it could be done at the 11th hour for a knockdown price so I expect this may drag on.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: August 02, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
I really don't think they'll budge much on the price. Tey have said they don't want to sell him and will risk losing him next season on a free. I think they have a goo chance of promotion themselves. I'd hope we are looking elsewhere and not putting all of our efforts into this one.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
I really don't think they'll budge much on the price. Tey have said they don't want to sell him and will risk losing him next season on a free. I think they have a goo chance of promotion themselves. I'd hope we are looking elsewhere and not putting all of our efforts into this one.

Did you expect them to say they will let him go cheaper if clubs wait a bit longer? Its all posturing.

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
If they have a chance to sell him to West Ham for £7-8M they'll probably hang on to see if a Prem club will match it (or come close)

It won't be us.

If no Prem club offers £5m ++ he'll go to West Ham.

Talk of us getting him now for £3m is pure fantasy

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
Who knows what West Ham actually offered? It could have been just a few million up front with the rest made up in clauses and not whatever was reported all in cash.

At the moment we are all just making assumptions.

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #460 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
Interesting stuff coming from the Sky Sports Transfer Clockwatch:

News: Leicester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is continuing his quest to sign a new striker and admits Reading's Shane Long is on his list of targets. However, he believes a deal would be difficult and feels Long is likely to move to the Premier League.

We've gone on holiday by mistake!

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
We will sign him last week of window around 4-5m I reckon, possibility with a player going the other way.

wbatesy

• WBA Coach

« Reply #462 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
We will sign him last week of window around 4-5m I reckon, possibility with a player going the other way.

Miller or Bednar would fit in nicely.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #463 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »

DJ Campbell £1.25m been saying it for days and days now. Villa expressed an interest last night so he's deal to QPR is certainly not done yet.

He has a better PL scoring record than Long and would cost a fraction of the price and would probably be on lower wages, its a no brainer for me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #464 on: August 02, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
DJ Campbell £1.25m been saying it for days and days now. Villa expressed an interest last night so he's deal to QPR is certainly not done yet.

He has a better PL scoring record than Long and would cost a fraction of the price and would probably be on lower wages, its a no brainer for me.

Absolutely spot on about DJ.go get him.This long thread is boring me
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #465 on: August 02, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

That's the key though, our transfer policy shouldn't be "off the top of our heads".

I'm not saying it is, but we have an international scouting network that I don't think we have exploited enough this summer. I can see why Long is attractive but at the prices that are quoted around the 7-8 million mark and with his wage demands surely being at least 1 million a year I think we are throwing too much money at a player being signed because he is a domestic option.

There are lots of players available around the world, we just have to find them. If Long was available at the right price then I can understand the gamble (and he is a gamble) but I dont see us paying the amount they want and the wages he would demand so hopefully we have a good back up option we are working on lined up.
Boing Boing

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #466 on: August 02, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
at anywhere north of 4m long is a bad deal.
cant believe we're not looking at maynard, better GS record and half the price. surely 3m plus bednar/miller for a season would get him
When you're sitting on the top, its hard to hear you from way up here.

Albion07

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #467 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
at anywhere north of 4m long is a bad deal.
cant believe we're not looking at maynard, better GS record and half the price. surely 3m plus bednar/miller for a season would get him
Not half the price though, Bristol City want over £5 Mill for him plus he has a patchy injury record, I dont get the negativity towards Long on here, IF we sign him it will be for a lot less than the quoted figures being bandied about. If Hodgson and Ashworth rate him and want to spend the money on him that's good enough for me.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #468 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
The negativity is based solely on the ridiculous fee.
I choked a bit when Danny Graham was signed for £3.5 million, a heavy price for a championship striker. However, if you want to double it for a player of similar class then so be it. It just seems super-over priced to me.

Albion07

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #469 on: August 03, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Tweet from the local Reading reporter: "Sven's #lcfc #foxes to bid £7m for Long. May prompt #wba to show their hand in race for #readingfc striker. Possible #nufc come in too"

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
If Leicester City have a bid accepted by Reading, I honestly don't think Shane Long will turn down the wages he would be offered by them. It is also looking fairly likely that Leicester will get promoted after some of the signings they have made, so Long may like the idea of being involved in a promotion push.

Unless someone makes a very large offer, I can see this being one transfer which drags on into the final week or two of the transfer window. There is no doubt that we should have the advantage seeing as we play in the Premier League, but I can't see us matching the personal terms Leicester would be able to offer him unfortunately.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
Noway should we match Leicester's offer of 7 mill. I keep saying it, but there are far better options out there who would represent better value for money.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2011, 11:18:11 AM »
Noway should we match Leicester's offer of 7 mill. I keep saying it, but there are far better options out there who would represent better value for money.

I agree totally. I'd rather we were in for a striker who has Premiership experience. Saying that if he's the main man Roy has targeted then should we be backing his judgement? After all we haven't really spent any money yet. Sometimes you do have to pay a little over the odds to get what you really want.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #473 on: August 03, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
If they want to pay £7m let them, we'll have him for a snip when their foreign owners do a flit and Sven does a bunk.
I only go for the beer.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
I think the Reading fans could be in for a real surprise come the end of the window when they let him go to a Premier League club for a fraction of what they are currently asking. They don't want to sell to Championship promotion rivals and the player may only want to join a Premier League club so as the window draws to a close they will most likely accept much less for him or lose him for nothing next season. I still think he will go for a similar price to Danny Graham did up front with clauses to build it up to close to £5m personally.