Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 514944 times)

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #400 on: July 27, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
Shane Long 8 million

Jermaine Defoe 10 million...

Shane Long 25k a week

Jermain Defore 70k a week.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
If we can get Shane Long for the reported £5m plus £3m add ons then to me thats acceptable, £5m is not a lot this day and age for a premiership side to pay for a striker is it? And if we have to pay an extra £3m in add ons then in order for that to be paid certain clauses/ targets have to be reached and if thats the case then Long/ WBA are reaching targets and doing well so I would gladly stump up the extra £3m in add ons, just my opinion of course but he was involved in scoring/ assisting 42% of Readings goals last season so they are hardly going to give him away are they!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
Shane Long 25k a week

Jermain Defore 70k a week.
exactly, you gotta pay for proven quality im afraid.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
If we can get Shane Long for the reported £5m plus £3m add ons then to me thats acceptable, £5m is not a lot this day and age for a premiership side to pay for a striker is it? And if we have to pay an extra £3m in add ons then in order for that to be paid certain clauses/ targets have to be reached and if thats the case then Long/ WBA are reaching targets and doing well so I would gladly stump up the extra £3m in add ons, just my opinion of course but he was involved in scoring/ assisting 42% of Readings goals last season so they are hardly going to give him away are they!!

£5m is a lot of money for a club like us to pay for a player who's scored 7 goals in 58 games in the Premier League.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
£5m is a lot of money for a club like us to pay for a player who's scored 7 goals in 58 games in the Premier League.

How many of those games did he start?

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
How many of those games did he start?

I'm guessing not a lot, as i seem to remember Reading's front two were Dave Kitson and Kevin Doyle, and then they had Leroy Lita
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #406 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:10 PM »
Steve Madely on twitter: A thought on Long. Will #wba or another PL team necessarily need to match West Ham's bid to get him? What if the player digs his heels in?

if he decides he doesn't want to move to a Championship club, Reading's hand could be forced as he could leave for nothing in a year.

That, added to the comments the Reading Post journalist has also made suggests to me that this could be potentially what will happen and why it may drag on for some time yet.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #407 on: July 27, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Steve Madely on twitter: A thought on Long. Will #wba or another PL team necessarily need to match West Ham's bid to get him? What if the player digs his heels in?

if he decides he doesn't want to move to a Championship club, Reading's hand could be forced as he could leave for nothing in a year.

That, added to the comments the Reading Post journalist has also made suggests to me that this could be potentially what will happen and why it may drag on for some time yet.

Lets expect him on the 31st of January then :D
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
This is a tough one. On the one hand I really do not want us to spend too much on Long but it is obvious that he is our number one striker target so equally I would hate to miss out.  Maybe we could do a swap deal with Bednar and or Miller moving in the other direction.

I cannot see us going to £8m (although a player swap might blur the true value of the deal) and if were prepared to spend that kind of money, I would hope to pick up a better player if not with premier league (someone like DeFoe fee and wages in combination is probably beyond us) experience but from one of the better European Leagues.

Either way this needs to be wrapped up this week one way or another so we have time to move on to the next target (there is always another target). We do not have to have someone in place by the start of the season but we cannot afford not to have another decent striker on our books by the close of the window.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
Lets hope our scouts find a striker or two

Long worth 8million, with a year on his contract ?
Odemwingie must be worth £23million then

Id rather us jus go for him in a years time,
And look for better players now

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
I personally think if we offered 6.5 million for him, Reading would accept it. They have made it clear that they would prefer not to sell him to a championship rival, hence why West Ham's bid was rejected. I may be wrong of course but its just what i think.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

j_dog_1980

« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
Are West Bromwich Albion, well, Mr Jeremy Peace going to pay £8 Million for an unproven premiership player?

Come on people!

We all know how he runs the club and how much of a shrewd businesman he is so unless Reading drop that figure, we will not be seeing Long in a Baggies shirt!

Not for that amount anyway!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »
Are West Bromwich Albion, well, Mr Jeremy Peace going to pay £8 Million for an unproven premiership player?

Come on people!

We all know how he runs the club and how much of a shrewd businesman he is so unless Reading drop that figure, we will not be seeing Long in a Baggies shirt!

Not for that amount anyway!
He wont pay 8 up front, maybe closer to 4 up front with add ons and as I have previously said add ons are a win win for both clubs if he does well then we pay Reading more and we have took a good gamble, if it doesnt work out then its just the £4m of which we can recuperate some/ most (remember Ellington) back!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Cal

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
All this 'Long 8mill Defoe 10 mill' talk has to stop. Despite the difference in wages Jermaine Defoe would turn us down flat, its that simple.
I do think 8 mill is alot for Long mind, even if he had 5 years left on his conract. Reading playing silly buggers with this deal, i dont beleive to for a second West Ham bid 5.5 rising to 8.
If we did sign him though he would improve our first team squad, and theirs your dilemma.

Whats also interesting is that Appy has been quoted as saying last night that we are 'very close on 2 signings,' nw one is obviously Foster and hearing the noises coming from Reading the other ISNT Shane Long, so who is it...???

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #414 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
Whats also interesting is that Appy has been quoted as saying last night that we are 'very close on 2 signings,' nw one is obviously Foster and hearing the noises coming from Reading the other ISNT Shane Long, so who is it...???

Did you actually read the quotes or just see the headline with that story?

"Hopefully they'll be one or two arrivals in the coming days or weeks but we've probably been hoping that for the last couple of weeks now.

"The longer it goes on it gets a little bit frustrating but hopefully we're at a stage where we're nearer rather than further away from getting one or two in.

"I'd like to think we're working hard to make that happen but ultimately there has to be agreement between the two clubs and if there isn't agreement between the two clubs we have to look elsewhere."

Having read that it could well be Long he is referring to as well as Foster, we know we want him and have been in talks with Reading and it is also possible that they would accept a lesser deal for him from a Premiership club than they would accept from a Championship rival especially if Long digs his heels in about wanting a Premiership move. Those are the noises I've heard about this potential deal so far, might drag on a couple of weeks more.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #415 on: July 30, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
proves what i said about i dont like longs attitude. jonny fordman who covers reading fc tweeted this

@JonnyFordham
Jonny Fordham
Long gets a ticking off after what looked like a bit of a head-butt into the body of Risser #readingfc Pure frustration from the striker
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: July 30, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
Rumour on tweeter from unkown source stating we have had a £6m bid accepted by Reading. I am taking it with a huge pinch of salt
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Rumour on tweeter from unkown source stating we have had a £6m bid accepted by Reading. I am taking it with a huge pinch of salt

The guy who tweeted has admitted to it being a 'joke'. Never trust twitter lol

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »
The guy who tweeted has admitted to it being a 'joke'. Never trust twitter lol

'an unknown source' said it all for me...  ::)

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #419 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
I've really come around to the idea of getting Shane Long in. Want to get it done. If Liverpool and Bayern were having a look then he must have some serious potential!

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #420 on: July 31, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »
We have wasted way too much money on strikers over the years. £6m to £8m for Long?? Defoe wants to go on loan, use some of the money on that for a season - a proven scrorer (yes, I know it wouldnt happen) - but we DO need a very good replacement/partner for Pete, if he get injured I think we have a big problem.
Andy Johnson knows where the net is, DJ Campbell did well last year and there must be others...
Im not totally convinced with long myself

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #421 on: July 31, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
Has DJ gone to QPR yet? for me a much better bet than Long
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
Has DJ gone to QPR yet? for me a much better bet than Long

I agree id much prefer us to sign Campbell than Long, even if it was for the same price

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #423 on: July 31, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
I agree id much prefer us to sign Campbell than Long, even if it was for the same price

What! 6-8 mil for Campbell, the world will definately have gone mad.

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #424 on: July 31, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »
What! 6-8 mil for Campbell, the world will definately have gone mad.

love coming on here, it reminds me that there are people in this world far more delusional than i am!!
When you're sitting on the top, its hard to hear you from way up here.