Author Topic: Shane Long Completes Move to Hull City  (Read 512607 times)

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

Re: Shane Long
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »
With Odemwingie now back in the Nigerian international fold and likely to be missing during the African Cup of Nations next year the need for us to buy a quality striker now is even more pressing. We've got to find someone with a better pedigree than Shane Long.

Shouldn't be too difficult really..

browners

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:52 AM »
What would you rather have Long or Fortune. We are West Bromwich Albion not Real Madrid. Some of you need to lower your expectations.

Long would be much better backup to Odemwingie than Fortune. Good movement, excellent in the air, plays in a 4-5-1 currently. Totally different player to Cox, so you really can't compare the two. Long is a focal point for the attack whereas Cox is a poacher.

David Moyes is an excellent judge of a player and he has wanted Long for ages.

Personally I would be more than happy with him at the right price.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
What would you rather have Long or Fortune. We are West Bromwich Albion not Real Madrid. Some of you need to lower your expectations.

Long would be much better backup to Odemwingie than Fortune. Good movement, excellent in the air, plays in a 4-5-1 currently. Totally different player to Cox, so you really can't compare the two. Long is a focal point for the attack whereas Cox is a poacher.

Surely not for £10m!?

Axel Foley

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »

Ask yourself why Moyes hasn't bought him already then.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »

Spot on, couldn't agree more.

We will not pay over the odds for a player, but if we can get a good price negotiated with Reading I'd be more than happy with Long.

Sadly though Shane Long isn't a big enough name for some people. I really do wonder who Albion fans expect us to sign as back-up to Odemwingie? The key word is back-up; Long can do a good job when Pete is out.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »

Its not the expectations its the fee being banded around for un proven

Any roads i would rather have Fortune
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

We will not pay over the odds for a player, but if we can get a good price negotiated with Reading I'd be more than happy with Long.

Sadly though Shane Long isn't a big enough name for some people. I really do wonder who Albion fans expect us to sign as back-up to Odemwingie? The key word is back-up; Long can do a good job when Pete is out.

I cant speak for other people, but it is not about big names for me, however it is about quality.

In my opinion Shane Long is not a dramatic improvement on what we already have.

I would rather we take a chance on a young forward from a lower league, than sign Shane Long.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2011, 09:05:31 AM »

For me Lloydy its the price. Id take Long as he's a goalscorer, but not for stupid money. £10m is ridiculous for a player who's never kicked a ball in the prem and would be back up.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »
Aztech, isn't Shane Long just that, a young lad from a lower league? Personally I think he is a dramatic improvement on what we already have - would Fortune or Miller score the amount of goals Long has playing up front on their own for Reading?

The price being rumoured at this stage is just that, rumour. If we do sign him let's first of all only judge the price we pay when we've actually paid it, and second of all judge the lad on his ability rather than his price tag. Luke Moore was always fighting a losing battle because of his price tag, let's not create another Moore situation with Long.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
Onjly price I have seen mentioned was £7m which is probably fair.

Decent player by all accounts and fits in as not only cover for Pete but I don't see any reason why they could not play together if we go 442.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
Onjly price I have seen mentioned was £7m which is probably fair.

Decent player by all accounts and fits in as not only cover for Pete but I don't see any reason why they could not play together if we go 442.

Anything over what Swansea paid for Graham would be unrealistic for un proven.No better in my opinion.Cant see us paying 7 million and for me hes is nowhere near worth it

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
The Sun mentioning us and £8m this morning...

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
i just cant see someone unproven at premiership level costing that much. Besides i wouldnt bother. Can you really see him scoring goals? I cant. but if hes a third striker behind another target then he may be worth a punt.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
CL - Chances of #wba 's opening bid for Long -if they do- being anywhere near £8m is v unlikely. No club would pitch so high 1st time round

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
i just cant see someone unproven at premiership level costing that much. Besides i wouldnt bother. Can you really see him scoring goals? I cant. but if hes a third striker behind another target then he may be worth a punt.

Why not? He scored bags of them last season. Theres nothing suggesting he can't do it in the Pem based on his ability. Yes he's never played in the Prem but he's a born scorer. The price is the issue with this rumour for me.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
I can't see a club of our size paying 8m for a second/third choice striker.

I can't see us paying 8m full stop. I suspect that if we were to pay anything it would be under our current transfer record and plus maybe a player or two. Bednar & Miller?

If 8m is what we pay then there must be better proven options out there?

If we do this deal I can't see it being anywhere near the figure quoted.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:33:00 AM by dangerman »

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
danny graham scored more goals than long. i,d welcome him for around the same price.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
People are getting way too fixated on this £8m price tag. We will NOT pay £8m for him!!!

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
I think hes a good player and one definitely worth getting.  Whenever I've watched him play hes been a predator and works hard.

I'm glad we're looking at him but would only pursue him at the right price.  Anything over £7mil is ridiculous though.

I'd prefer to see a centre forward type if we are to spend that kind of money though.  Someone who can hold the ball up and feed our midfield players and Odemwingie.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
danny graham scored more goals than long. i,d welcome him for around the same price.

Nail on the head. Spot on

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »
I can't see a club of our size paying 8m for a second/third choice striker.

I can't see us paying 8m full stop. I suspect that if we were to pay anything it would be under our current transfer record and plus maybe a player or two. Bednar & Miller?

If 8m is what we pay then there must be better proven options out there?

If we do this deal I can't see it being anywhere near the figure quoted.

Just my opinion.

I could see that happening to be fair. £3m + them pair maybe...?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »

Watford aren't in the best shape when it comes to finances as far as I know so the bid for Graham was enough to tempt them. With Long it would be different as they are under no pressure to sell at all much like we weren't when we sold the likes of Davies, Kamara and Koumas so you will be talking at least £5m to get him closer to the close of the window.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »
Ask yourself why Moyes hasn't bought him already then.

moyles hasnt got any money to spend without selling thats why  :P

Watton...!

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
He's not the same type of player as cox. £10 million would be far too much, I would like us to pay between £4 and £5 million for him but I reckon if he goes it will be for about £6million,which would be worth the gamble in todays market! I think he could have what it takes for this league but only time will tell! 
Neil Clement: 300 Appearances spanning over a decade, a true Albion legend

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Get him at the right price and I would say he'll score more than Fortune or Miller.
Good addition at the right price!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'