Author Topic: In and Outs  (Read 27921 times)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

Re: In and Outs
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »
Dawson handed in transfer request. Hegazi may leave also because of his £10m relegation clause.
We have one CB, Fitzwater only.
We need to sign at least 3 CBs before season starts... :-\

Is that official with Dawson koren?. Sad if it is ???

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
Is that official with Dawson koren?. Sad if it is ???

it's being discussed in the Craig Dawson thread in the transfers forum.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
Dawson handed in transfer request. Hegazi may leave also because of his £10m relegation clause.
We need to sign at least 3 CBs and hope they can gel together before season starts... :-\

Yes but apart from that we're ok  ???
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2018, 10:30:06 PM »
Foster now gone.....wage bill tumbling !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »
Foster now gone.....wage bill tumbling !
jenkins is back

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
We need to sign at least 3 CBs and hope they can gel together before season starts... :-\
Can see Big Dave having to dust off his boots at this rate! We have to replace Evans and McAuley before selling Dawson and Hegazi. Will need to replace Myhill too!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
And that's not even making a dent on when we lose Chadli, Morrison, rondon, maybe j-rod and Phillips.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »
Why are we the only ones having problems with players refusing to go on training camps? I'm not aware that anything like this is happening at Stoke or Swansea. Assuming Darren hasn't turned into Mr Hyde once he got appointed, the only other person we have left with any influence is Jenkins. Is the radio silence from the club because it's Jenkins' actions that are stirring things up and causing this level  of disquiet amongst the players?

I don't know one way or the other, but you'd have to think that there must be a catalyst involved beyond the players themselves.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:24 PM »
Why are we the only ones having problems with players refusing to go on training camps? I'm not aware that anything like this is happening at Stoke or Swansea. Assuming Darren hasn't turned into Mr Hyde once he got appointed, the only other person we have left with any influence is Jenkins. Is the radio silence from the club because it's Jenkins' actions that are stirring things up and causing this level  of disquiet amongst the players?

I don't know one way or the other, but you'd have to think that there must be a catalyst involved beyond the players themselves.

Jenkins will be a very de-stabilising influence on the playing side of things unfortunately. He's an accountant, a bean counter. As such he's only interested in the balance sheet. I would suspect the contract renewals, especially Yacob and McAuley were taken out of Moore's hands. This will not have gone over well with the senior players. (How long before it's one of them, loyalty is a two way street).
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »

Jenkins will be a very de-stabilising influence on the playing side of things unfortunately. He's an accountant, a bean counter. As such he's only interested in the balance sheet. I would suspect the contract renewals, especially Yacob and McAuley were taken out of Moore's hands. This will not have gone over well with the senior players. (How long before it's one of them, loyalty is a two way street).
When I was working at Rexel (Business Machines), they had someone (Alan Dolman) come in and try to reorganise a profitable business.
He made all managers redundant (myself included, the toolroom manager) and to re-apply for our own jobs.
I was accepted and also given the task of also managing the machine shop.
On reading the contract which he offered me, I refused and told him that I would take the redundancy which they initially offered me.
He spluttered and said that I couldn't...I showed him where it stated I could....I left, in 2000 the firm closed in 2004.
So, as you can see...A bean counter will always be a bean counter and not understand peoples' feelings and desires.
Jenkins is just a bean couinter who can't see the larger picture.
It could come around to bite him in the bum.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »
jenkins is back

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »
Don't see anything wrong with releasing the players we did, none were regulars and we need to clear out players who are not likely to figure such as Myhill and McAuley. Yacobs departure depends on what we replace him with as our centre midfield at present is poor and needs fresh legs and fresh blood with only Livermore and Field players I would start in that area and Livermore could be another to leave.

Morrison they've done the right thing with by making him prove his fitness, he's spent too long on the sidelines and I wouldn't have had a problem with him also being released for that reason, i'd be happy to see him on a low wage with an appearance incentive.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
The clubs had a Massive drop in revenue and they had to take drastic action, yes it will p*** people off but that’s life. End of !
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:26:59 AM by Hull Baggie »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
The clubs had a Massive drop in revenue and they had to take drastic action, yes it will p*** people off but that’s life. End of !

Don't agree: this season (2018/19) we will have a substantial parachute payment, but, there might be an issue with FFP.

If the club genuinely want to have an immediate return to the Premier League, then they will know that they need to spend the majority of that money on players to do that.

Personally, I think there's been a change in thinking, probably driven by Mark Jenkins.
I believe, we will try to get an immediate return to the Premier League, but using a no risk financial strategy. Traditionally, the two are not compatible, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:27:19 AM by Hull Baggie »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
Don't agree: this season (2018/19) we will have a substantial parachute payment, but, there might be an issue with FFP.

If the club genuinely want to have an immediate return to the Premier League, then they will know that they need to spend the majority of that money on players to do that.

Personally, I think there's been a change in thinking, probably driven by Mark Jenkins.
I believe, we will try to get an immediate return to the Premier League, but using a no risk financial strategy. Traditionally, the two are not compatible, but we'll see.

Ok, well corrected,  in as much that the revenue will not shrink massively until after this year. Unfortunately though we would not be able to sign "quality" players on "one year promotion or your off" contracts, thus, we could do a Vile and burden the club with players we cannot afford (in year 2).
The club has to be prudent and limit the risk, Zero financial risk is also not viable as there would then be the footballing risk of relegation.
As for limiting risk and immediate return, that was a trick JP managed to pull off so not incompatible in my humble opinion.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
From a relegated clubs perspective the rational line to pursue is the one that maximises the likelihood of a return to the Premier League during the 3 years of parachute payments when they have a financial advantage over the rest of the division.

Given that the parachute payments reduce overtime year 1 might be seen as the best chance and a strategy of all out gambling in year 1 is the way to go.

On the face of it Newcastle and Villa adopted this strategy. Both paid Premier League wages and fees in the Championship, to the extent that Newcastle's wage bill increased. However the key difference was that Newcastle were profitable in the Premier League and Villa weren't. Equally they funded their expenditure with a net transfer gain of £50m in player sales whereas Villa were net spenders in the transfer window.

Even if Newcastle had failed they would have been a better position than Villa in year 2. Villa had to get promoted in year 1 they failed but gambled again in year 2. They don't have a year 3 and yet might find themselves in administration which wipes out year 4 as well.

Lesson's whatever you do in year 1 & 2 don't put ourselves in a position that kills us in year 3 or get's us entangled in FFP which would pretty much kill our chances of promotion until we got ourselves out of it.

Fans may hate it but we cannot gamble without the backstop of big bucks being generated by player sales and taking a look at our squad that is just unlikely we don't have Sissoko who we can sell for £30m.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
I believe most fans thought patterns (myself included) took the view that most of our existing players would leave & especially those with release clauses.
Noises from the club are starting to suggest that the reverse is true & a number of key players will remain. If that happens, then our spending on transfer fees would not be as high as we thought, & we would have funds to strengthen the team.

Mark Jenkins admitted that,in May, the club didn't understand the implications of FFP relative to the EFL, I assume they now do, but undoubtedly FFP will have an impact on our ability to play wages.

I wouldn't want the club to take the kind of risks that Villa did in a bit for an immediate return to the Prem, but I would be annoyed if we didn't use the parachute payments to our advantage.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
My view has always been that the coming season, with all the potential player and money advantages we have over 90% of the League, will represent by far the best chance of promotion back up.
Each subsequent season will see step changes of diminishing chances unless the owners are prepared to actually back us for once.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
My view has always been that the coming season, with all the potential player and money advantages we have over 90% of the League, will represent by far the best chance of promotion back up.
Each subsequent season will see step changes of diminishing chances unless the owners are prepared to actually back us for once.

Spot on. This season is make or break. Relegated clubs generally do not bouncy back, the majority continue to falter. But our record defies that. Albeit it’s been a long time since we’ve played at this level. Decisions in the transfer market will be crucial.