Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 160695 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Charlie Austin signs from Southampton
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
His goal yesterday may have been easy, however, he followed the ball, anticipated it hitting the bar or staying in play and that's what we have missed in these first few games; killer instinct and experience. Get him up to speed and on the pitch for 70-80 minutes and then full games and hopefully he'll flourish.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
I noticed he was always talking to and directing the midfield telling them where they should be.
Give it a few weeks to settle down and I think we'll be fine
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2019, 10:10:12 PM »
I noticed he was always talking to and directing the midfield telling them where they should be.
Give it a few weeks to settle down and I think we'll be fine
I hope and like the idea, that an experieced player does this.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »
 ;D Reminds me of SuperKev. Has the same "tenacity" and is an in "the box" type of poacher. Will pick up the scraps or rebounds...not bad with his head either.

Think he will be a threat to defences all season...one of those you can't take your eye off when you are a defender.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2019, 01:58:54 AM »
Needs to get his fitness levels up ASAP. Clearly a good player with a footballing brain but he wants to get that brain (and his feet) moving into the right areas at the right time. He was blowing out of his backside after ten/fifteen minutes against Millwall.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2019, 05:27:53 PM »
As good as Gayle in this league. Should score 20+ goals. Great signing.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
Ricky Lambert springs to mind, hope to be wrong but he needs to take a half chance sooner rather than later else Zohore should get another run.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
He worked hard yesterday and set up Phillips first, but hard to see either him or Zohore hitting double figures at this rate.

Not sure he is that suited to playing up front alone, especially when our attacking midfielders are much more suited to playing more play maker type roles (as opposed to a Stirling/Ronaldo type who almost plays as a second forward).

Hope he finds his place in the team as Zohore's cameo yesterday didn't really threaten enough.
Boing Boing

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2019, 06:18:32 PM »
Big shout to Charlie for breaking his duck today.

Thought it would be another game where nothing went for him, but he kept preserving and got his reward.

Seems to enjoy playing for the club, works unbelievably hard, is clearly a leader and has a good connection to the fans already. Gave us a clap in the Smethwick after missing a chance when we were singing his name.

Can tell he’s well liked and respected by the entire outfield team going to celebrate with him when he scored.

So glad he got his goal, could see his frustration at half time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 06:20:28 PM by TheBrom »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »

Thought it would be another game where nothing went for him, but he kept preserving and got his reward.

Seems to enjoy playing for the club, works unbelievably hard, is clearly a leader and has a good connection to the fans already. Gave us a clap in the Smethwick after missing a chance when we were singing his name.

Can tell he’s well liked and respected by the entire outfield team going to celebrate with him when he scored.

He's not THAT old.
Looked fitter today. Lots of energy and good to see how delighted he was to get a goal. Our best forward on current form.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
Did anybody see him giving the Cardiff fans stick after the second goal?! It was great!

The fans realky got behind him today and he really ky deserved that goal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »
Said on Twitter when he signed he is class, just needed to get fit. Some of the criticism has been well over the top.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Charlie getting better every game that goal will do him the world of good, can't wait to see a 100% confident and fit Austin in these attack-minded team

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »
Did anybody see him giving the Cardiff fans stick after the second goal?! It was great!

The fans realky got behind him today and he really ky deserved that goal.

Yeah I saw that. Thought it was great. I imagine they were giving him stick after the missed chance a few minutes earlier. Shut them up in the second half anyway

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
After the two chances in the first half I just had the feeling this would be his day. Thrilled for him and us.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
You could see how desperate he was to break his duck but he's been working extremely hard and that was undoubtedly his best performance for us yesterday. He truly deserved that goal yesterday and it was refreshing to hear the support he was getting from the stands and quite frankly the relief from himself and supporters when he finally got the goal. If anything the international break has come at a poor time for Charlie now but hopefully he can keep his confidence up and carry on where he left off when we go to Middlesbrough.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2019, 10:55:17 AM »

You could say it was a jammy goal  ;D
MAGA!

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
i was not a fan of Charlie, was horrified by the signing .. but his goal celebrations kind of won me round - I dont think I have ever seen an Albion player so pleased with a goal !

- shows he does care for the club and fans

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
Really hope he does well for us, but for some reason I just can't warm to him. Absolutely no logical reason why, just something about him. Very odd.  :-\
Unspoilt By Progress

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
Really hope he does well for us, but for some reason I just can't warm to him. Absolutely no logical reason why, just something about him. Very odd.  :-\
You’ll be ok as number 19 and 20 hit the back of the net

I wasn’t sure on this signing, but I think he looked sharper and fitter vs Cardiff, goals are everything to strikers , 1 at Middlesbrough followed by a brace against Barnsley and he will fly .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:53 PM »
Signs are he's fitting in well personality wise. I think he recognises that that there are some very talented players at the club and there's no question of him being on some different level. He could have scored 3 or 4 in the past 3 games e.g. the last ditch block on his shot at QPR. Get the impression he's working hard to hit his best form.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2019, 07:30:52 AM »

I warmed to him a couple of weeks ago when the team were on the pitch beforehand. They were all sat in a circle and Charlie was talking to them. He appeared to be talking tactics [from his animated way] and the thing I really noticed was how they were all listening to him. I know its an odd thing to notice but he is there with good intentions so when he scored on Saturday I was really pleased for him. You could see that it really meant something to him as well.
MAGA!

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
He's looked more Ricky Lambert than Kevin Phillips for a few games - lacking pace. good touch but not really effecting games. The past few games, he's been missing chances which is good because he's in there and the team are creating.

He's definately all about goals - he has a decent touch and brings others players in well but if he scores a few games in a row , I think he could light up the team a bit as he gets more confident and be what we've been missing this season - a go to player to get a goal when we need one.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
I have been a sceptic from day 1, but what I will acknowledge is, he is trying his damnedest for the team, hopefully he comes good and it sounds like its going the right way, so lets hope he has consigned HRK to the bench (or worse) for quite a while !!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
He has a winners mentality, you can tell by the way he speaks, and incidents like the goal celebration and his interview last season about the refs.