Author Topic: Ian Pearce  (Read 53481 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Ian Pearce
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2024, 06:34:54 AM »
Yes, seeing this chap out the next door is the next step for me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2024, 09:27:42 AM »
I would give him no prep time and get him in the office and ask to see the recruitment / retention / development strategy for all playing staff including the academy, dependant upon what I see, I would make my decisions. (No cohesive plan, there is the door)

Whilst IP has not performed it could be that he has not been allowed to perform,

If retained it would be clear that its on the basis that next window MUST be a success measured against the boundaries he is given.

(Devils advocate)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2024, 09:34:05 AM »
I would give him no prep time and get him in the office and ask to see the recruitment / retention / development strategy for all playing staff including the academy, dependant upon what I see, I would make my decisions. (No cohesive plan, there is the door)

Whilst IP has not performed it could be that he has not been allowed to perform,

If retained it would be clear that its on the basis that next window MUST be a success measured against the boundaries he is given.

(Devils advocate)

i don't think we can risk a transfer window with money with him as well.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2024, 11:41:24 AM »

(Devils advocate)

Devil's advocate is not correct in this case  :D

My contact at the club says "I'm not sure what he actually does", which very much aligns with what most of us on here already thought.

Your plan sounds like a sensible one.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2024, 11:42:30 AM »
I would NOT like to see Ian Pearce given ANY money. His record is atrocious.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #530 on: February 16, 2024, 12:42:26 PM »
I'm too happy to discuss P45's.

But, every aspect of the club needs looking at.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2024, 01:35:21 PM »
Patel follows some people on X who are all data driven wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them or people associated to them employed by us in some capacity . Whilst the first team is doing well there are a lot of other areas that seem slack and need a rethink or a kick up the backside .

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2024, 01:42:36 PM »
Patel follows some people on X who are all data driven wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them or people associated to them employed by us in some capacity . Whilst the first team is doing well there are a lot of other areas that seem slack and need a rethink or a kick up the backside .

Have to hope so. Bologna signing players like Aaron Hickey and Lewis Ferguson from Scotland for about £2m a piece, one of which sold for 20m with the other likely to go for a similar figure, suggests to me they cast their net wide looking at data too. i thought both, particularly ferguson,  should have been players we should have been in for before they moved.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #533 on: February 16, 2024, 01:48:48 PM »
It's always difficult assessing exactly how much he's to blame but clearly we need to make massive changes in recruitment going forward. Our policy till now has been to lazily sign known quantities from the championship on very high wages which has lead to the very unsustainable situation.

Clearly though our market has continually been premier league reserves and the championship. That's a very small market to limit ourselves to - particularly when going forward, we will not be paying wages to attract the best players. We will need to look for value elsewhere, be that lower leagues, or abroad, but we've shown zero capability of doing that. Indeed I remember someone reporting from the Mark Miles fan meeting that the club was unlikely to make signings form abroad this season with the loosened restrictions on foreign players as we didn't have the set up  for it! How much of that is Pearce or from elsehwere I don't know, but its clear we're in a increasingly limited marketed and making it very difficult for ourselves.

Realistically going forward, player sales HAVE to be a pretty big revenue stream to allow us to be competitive at this level, but currently almost no one we sign appreciates in value. That has to change. To be fair to Pearce, the clubs recruitment has been terrible ever since Ashworth left, short sighted and largely far too reliant on high wage experienced players. We've been very, very poor at scouting potential the last 10+ years. We went from the leaders in the area (though, what could have been if Peace had backed Ashworth's scouting system as an investment, like its been to Brighton, instead of the penny wise and pound foolish approach we took).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 01:51:07 PM by Dan »

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #534 on: February 16, 2024, 02:16:03 PM »
What seems to have happened at the end of the J Peace era is almost standard for a business owner trying to sell his business.  Propose an attractive near term order book, run down all the backroom services (cf quality control, recruitment, analysis, medical)  and make next year's profit look attractive.

Now any real businessman worth his soy sauce would have practised due diligence for more than one year out but it seems that Mr Guochuan was naïve and knew zilch about the business he was buying into.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #535 on: February 16, 2024, 11:33:25 PM »
Another bluffer who needs his walking papers and hope owner clears the decks with some of these overpaid personnel who helped in clubs demise.