Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283045 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #450 on: August 20, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
Really like this kids attitude hope he gets some minutes on the pitch sooner rather than later.
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/20/west-bromwich-albion-fans-respond-to-oliver-burkes-tweet/

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #451 on: August 20, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »
There is a collective blame on our signings over the past few years, not one person is to blame for them all, there are some which are obvious Pulis ones and then there's others like Burke, Robson-Kanu who were obviously influenced from elsewhere

Didn't Pulis say he watched Burke play for Scotland under 20's at that years Toulon tournament and that was why we signed him?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #452 on: August 20, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
I'm sure there'll be plenty of clubs in this division who would wish they had him in their squads. We will soon have Chadli in reserve also as we couldn't really drop any of that front 4 at the moment.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #453 on: August 29, 2018, 12:02:17 AM »
Really like this kids attitude hope he gets some minutes on the pitch sooner rather than later.

Well, I hope he can produce more than he did tonight. I hope he proves me wrong, but imo the club could have done so much better with the money spent on OB.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #454 on: August 29, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »
15 million we have been had over 😕

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #455 on: August 29, 2018, 06:48:29 AM »
15 million we have been had over 😕

I agree on last nights showing.
Lots of huff and puff but doesn't blow the house down for me
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #456 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:51 AM »
His pace caused lots of issues last night and his play for Leko's goal deserves praise. I think he gives us a different element to our attack and he is worth a chance from the bench.
Boing Boing

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: August 29, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »
You can see that he is such a confidence player. As soon as his confidence goes he may as well not be on the pitch. Abundance of raw talent but he needs some serious coaching to reach the level required and I still do not see us providing this.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: August 29, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
He was fine first half. Should've scored when one on one but lacked conviction but kept his head really well to lay the opener on a plate for Leko.

Second half he might as well have not bothered coming back out, the longer the half went the worse he got.

I don't quite know what to make of Burke but he's not ready for regular first team football at the moment.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
A pretty mixed bag from him last night, what you'd expect from a young player lacking minutes against a side that liked a robust challenge.

I thought he did okay generally but Mansfield should be the sort of opposition where he'd step up and dominate a game; if he's going to make it at a higher level.

As others have said he seems to be very much a confidence player, perhaps if he'd have been given more game time after hitting the winner against Luton in the previous round we'd have seen a more confident player really taking the game to Mansfield. He seemed to bottle a few 50/50's too and went down a bit too easily on a number of occasions.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #460 on: August 29, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
Cant seem him getting a run of games anytime soon (unless we have a bought of injuries/suspensions).

I think he's coming to the stage of his career now were he needs to be playing football. He hasn't played regular football since his stint at Forest really. I think if this season he isn't able to get the game time he needs I could see him pushing for a move in the summer.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
Cant seem him getting a run of games anytime soon (unless we have a bought of injuries/suspensions).

I think he's coming to the stage of his career now were he needs to be playing football. He hasn't played regular football since his stint at Forest really. I think if this season he isn't able to get the game time he needs I could see him pushing for a move in the summer.

And if it's a permanent move, I can't see us getting back anywhere near the reported £15m or so we paid for him
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
I've just seen last nights highlights and it looked like he set up a few good chances in the first half, and despite missing his one on one, he took it in his stride really well.

It does seem like the clock is ticking on his time here though. Still think its criminal that in the 7-1, players like him and Field didn't get on the pitch. If we are 2-3 goals to the good we should be giving those players time in the championship. I don't see how else they can prove themselves.

Minutes in two league cup games are never going to be enough, chances are we wont be able to play as many kids in the next round on wards.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2018, 10:43:34 AM »
You can see that he is such a confidence player. As soon as his confidence goes he may as well not be on the pitch. Abundance of raw talent but he needs some serious coaching to reach the level required and I still do not see us providing this.

And stupid women like the ones sat behind me last night won't help him. Their ear drum piercing screeches of "Burke you're rubbish!" every time he did something wrong won't help. And when someone shouted over "get off his back!" one of them replied "well someone's gotta tell him!"

Some people are just an embarrassment.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
And stupid women like the ones sat behind me last night won't help him. Their ear drum piercing screeches of "Burke you're rubbish!" every time he did something wrong won't help. And when someone shouted over "get off his back!" one of them replied "well someone's gotta tell him!"

Some people are just an embarrassment.

Makes me laugh when people shout at the players. Like they can hear them lol.

It's out of frustration most of the time, we're all human. I tend to try and save my abuse for the referee. Doesn't usually take them long to upset me.  ;)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #465 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »

It's out of frustration most of the time, we're all human. I tend to try and save my abuse for the referee. Doesn't usually take them long to upset me.  ;)

So the players can't hear you but the ref can?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: August 29, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
So the players can't hear you but the ref can?

Yeah I know but it makes me feel better.  ;D

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #467 on: August 29, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
Was outshone by both Leko and Edwards last night. Possibly now behind both in the pecking order.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: August 29, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
Was outshone by both Leko and Edwards last night. Possibly now behind both in the pecking order.

Not sure I agree with you. I know both Leko and Edwards scored but I thought Edwards was quite poor apart from that and both were guilty of showboating when they could have played a simple pass. I'd still have Burke ahead of both.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #469 on: August 29, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »

It's amazing what you can actually hear from the stands. I remember Jason Van Blerk coming over  at full time to a guy in the Halfords when he played for us. He said something along the lines of "cut the abuse, we don't need to hear it".

I wouldn't go that far. Leko and Edwards showed their inexperience last night. Don't get me wrong, they both played well but at times they got lost, and if they do that in the championship they'll get torn apart.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #470 on: August 29, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
I think Burke did enough in the first half to provide a hint that he can be a great impact substitute. I would implore everyone to watch the substantial highlights on the skysports website of all of our chances. Burke was quiet second half but he isn't match fit so I can gove him the benefit of the doubt. First half though he was a menace, as the highlights show.

Not yet a starter, and his best position is still debateable, but a much more exciting match changing substitute thsn HRK.
Boing Boing

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #471 on: August 29, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »

Don't agree at all, in fact I thought Edwards was the worst player in our team along with Mears except for his goal.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #472 on: August 29, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »
Looks like Phillips has been called up for international duty. He could get a start against the blues.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #473 on: August 29, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
I think we are expecting too much from the lad, and that's because of the transfer fee. I've long maintained that if you're spending £15 million of Albion's money, it needs to be on a first team ready player who can make a difference - we haven't got the luxury of spending that with potentially no return.

However it's becoming a millstone around his neck. He's just gone 21, and has played less that 100 senior games. If we had a kid coming through our academy with the same skill-set, we'd be more forgiving, and understand why he wasn't playing quite so much, and why he wasn't the finished article.

He needs more game time, but he also needs a fan base that are going to understand he's still closer to Leko than to Phillips in terms of development.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: August 29, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
I think we are expecting too much from the lad, and that's because of the transfer fee. I've long maintained that if you're spending £15 million of Albion's money, it needs to be on a first team ready player who can make a difference - we haven't got the luxury of spending that with potentially no return.

However it's becoming a millstone around his neck. He's just gone 21, and has played less that 100 senior games. If we had a kid coming through our academy with the same skill-set, we'd be more forgiving, and understand why he wasn't playing quite so much, and why he wasn't the finished article.

He needs more game time, but he also needs a fan base that are going to understand he's still closer to Leko than to Phillips in terms of development.
Well said. I think a lot of our fans forget that he has just turned 21. It's a long season and he will get some game time due to injuries and suspensions. Let's assess him after he has had a run of games. Far too soon to be writing him off. I think that he will prove to be a very good signing within a couple of years.