Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283031 times)

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
Any other reliable links out there as they all seem to be jumping on matt Wilson's story, not holding my breath with this one,a loan and he won't get game time like other youngsters pulis has signed,a buy anywhere between 10 & 15 million for a 20 year old prospect, can't see that too

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
slightly off topic, but, if this lad comes and plays regularly what does that say to the academy lads?
a) if your good enough, your old enough
b) our academy isn't providing good enough talent, so we are going outside for kids?

i'm sure there will be other takes on it ..........
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
Disagree with people saying he won't play if he's on loan, a definate upgrade on McClean and would improve the side which is what Pulis is looking for.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
slightly off topic, but, if this lad comes and plays regularly what does that say to the academy lads?
a) if your good enough, your old enough
b) our academy isn't providing good enough talent, so we are going outside for kids?

i'm sure there will be other takes on it ..........

He's already a full Scotland international, has already had a full season (outstanding) in the Championship and a full season with Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

He's at least 2 years ahead of Leko (nearest comparison)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Fast and direct but on the rare occasions I've seen him play, I've always been left with the impression he needs to look up once in a while as he tended to run up blind alleys.

Don't know where the left sided player comments have come from either, I've only ever seen him play on the right.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
He's already a full Scotland international, has already had a full season (outstanding) in the Championship and a full season with Leipzig in the Bundesliga.

He's at least 2 years ahead of Leko (nearest comparison)

He's also 2 years older. It says "prove yourself in the championship like Burke."

Leko had made many mistakes and i'd rather he learnt the harsh lessons as to why not to do that for another team!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:01 PM »
If it happens which it looks like it will, it will be exciting just a Megson said! Im quite excited by this, fantastic potential, pace to get us up the pitch on the counter. My Forest friends are saying he will be a great signing for us as he fits the Pulis mould.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »
Wow this genuinely has me excited.

He's pacy and he is built like a light heavyweight but a real good footballer aswell. So the fit the Pulis mould in terms of his build but not in a 'lump' way.

This 'could' be someone who is worth £50m+ in a couple of years time although there is miles to go before he is anywhere near that level he is definitely someone to be excited about.

Also says a lot about his character that at the age of 19 he was happy to go abroad. Saw a couple of interviews with him last season and he seems like he has his head screwed on.

Don't/Didn't want to see him go but I'd be happy enough if Chadli leaving meant we could get Burke in. Chadli the better player right now but Burke could be 10x the player and thats without the fact Chadli doesn't seem to fit in to this system anyway.

Has to be a perm move or at least a watertight loan to perm in our favour though.

Get this done, get Evans/replacement sorted asap and then if we could add a left back and CM (how many years have we been saying that for) get Rondon motivated and it would be a decent window for us.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »
If it happens which it looks like it will, it will be exciting just a Megson said! Im quite excited by this, fantastic potential, pace to get us up the pitch on the counter. My Forest friends are saying he will be a great signing for us as he fits the Pulis mould.

Megson didn't say the signings would be exciting. This one just happens to be so.

orville

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
Looks promising, lets hope this one comes off quickly before we get gazzumped
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
 Is he in the demari gray bracket  sort of player, and as good good?

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2017, 05:20:05 PM »
Is he in the demari gray bracket  sort of player, and as good good?

I'd say Burkes a bit more powerful and direct than Gray but ability wise I'd put them pretty level at this stage although hard to judge until they have both played in the same league.

Gareth Bale is a pretty good comparison for the sort of player Burke is although obviously nowhere near that level yet.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »
So, have we found our "Matt Phillips for the other wing" player?! I know they're both right wing but surely for that money he's a starter and one of them will be on the left

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
So, have we found our "Matt Phillips for the other wing" player?! I know they're both right wing but surely for that money he's a starter and one of them will be on the left

I think he was being moulded towards being a number 10 long term at Leipzig and I'm sure he scored at least once for Forest at the start of last season cutting in from the left.

I'd love to see Rondon with Rodriguez Burke Phillips behind him all with the freedom to swap around. If Pulis would let them play with that much freedom, or if he would even have all 4 on the pitch at the same time is another question but it's great to have the option. If we can get Rondon back to the forward we had for the 1st 18 months with those 3 behind him it would be genuinely exciting and I'd expect Rondon to improve further with that service.

Alternatively (and probably more likely) we would see something like

Livermore  Barry  Morrison/Brunt/Field/Yacob

Phillips    Rodriguez   Burke

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
 Rob Dorsett‏ @RobDorsettSky 2m2 minutes ago

#wbafc discussing poss loan/permanent signing of Oliver Burke. Heading for talks & medical, but #cpfc still interested. Fee could be £15m.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
I'd be happy with this, look good for forest when I saw him, hopefully he doesn't turn out to be this years pritchard or Galloway though
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
I think he was being moulded towards being a number 10 long term at Leipzig and I'm sure he scored at least once for Forest at the start of last season cutting in from the left.

I'd love to see Rondon with Rodriguez Burke Phillips behind him all with the freedom to swap around. If Pulis would let them play with that much freedom, or if he would even have all 4 on the pitch at the same time is another question but it's great to have the option. If we can get Rondon back to the forward we had for the 1st 18 months with those 3 behind him it would be genuinely exciting and I'd expect Rondon to improve further with that service.

Alternatively (and probably more likely) we would see something like

Livermore  Barry  Morrison/Brunt/Field/Yacob

Phillips    Rodriguez   Burke

To be fair that 6 you suggest looks like a very good ball playing bunch

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 06:36:55 PM »
Decent player. A mixture of Phillips and McClean

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
Only played 18 times in his main season for Forest, but living in Nottingham those I have talked to say he's a good prospect.

Apparently the Leipzig boss said he was behind players in his age group for his tactical awareness

He/him

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
Burke looks very good. I'd be very happy with him coming in. He's a very good finisher for a wideman.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »
He was best mates with my cousin's son when they came through the ranks at forest together. 
He's got all the attributes to be a quality player

mb1

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »
He was best mates with my cousin's son when they came through the ranks at forest together. 
He's got all the attributes to be a quality player

Does this make you 'ITK'?  Can you have a word?

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
Does this make you 'ITK'?  Can you have a word?
I've already asked mate. My cousin's lad is injured at the moment and not sure if they as close since he moved to Germany but if I hear anything will update