Author Topic: Oliver Burke signs for Sheffield United (Permanent)  (Read 283066 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Oliver Burke (on loan at Celtic)
« Reply #750 on: January 24, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »
None of our coaches have given any youngster a chance at club, with little or no financial support from owner academy and younger squad players should be used more. If Burke improves under Rodgers what does that say about Moore and Jones?
Other side of the coin - what does it say of the player in a very poor league ? . Pulis , Megson , Pardew and now Moore won't pick him which suggests there's an issue with the player somewhere.
Hope he does well and we get some money back on him but I can't see him making the grade in England in either top two tiers.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #751 on: January 24, 2019, 07:33:35 AM »
Did they play him out wide or through the middle?

Think he was played through the middle in a 4-2-3-1

https://www.skysports.com/celtic-squad

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #752 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »

Thanks mate.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #753 on: January 24, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
Pleased for him. Maybe he will thrive under a manager who believes in him.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #754 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »
Playing in a team full of decent players versus a joke team.  Flat track bully just like Sinclair?

But i don't think he is any worse than HRK.  It just concerns me that we just keep extending veterans contracts without thinking about their contribution and marginalizing young talent coming through.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2019, 08:11:35 AM »
Playing in a team full of decent players versus a joke team.  Flat track bully just like Sinclair?

But i don't think he is any worse than HRK.  It just concerns me that we just keep extending veterans contracts without thinking about their contribution and marginalizing young talent coming through.
It's a joke league , I find it very hard to get too excited when Scott Sinclair is the star player up there and a 36 year old Defoe will get near 15 goals for Rangers.
Best of luck to Burke but while at least it's games under his belt it's only like going on loan to Sunderland or Peterborough in Div 1.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2019, 08:19:33 AM »

Celtic play music after goals  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2019, 10:08:50 AM »
It's a joke league , I find it very hard to get too excited when Scott Sinclair is the star player up there and a 36 year old Defoe will get near 15 goals for Rangers.
Best of luck to Burke but while at least it's games under his belt it's only like going on loan to Sunderland or Peterborough in Div 1.

I hope he bangs loads of goals in for the hoops then we might be able to recoup the money we laid out for him.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #758 on: January 24, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »
He will score goals in that league, nothing against the Scottish league but they standard outside the top2/3 is very poor.

Like the above have been mentioned, Sinclair has regularly been hitting 20/30 goals a season up there.

I imagine he will score around 10 goals between now and the end of the season, he will either come back here like a new signing, or we will sell him to Celtic for around 10million I reckon.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: January 24, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
There was talk about the extra training Burke was doing with Moore and Jones.

This comment was in the BBC report 'He is powerful and quick, but there is deftness to his movement. He offered a focal point in attack - and was capable of holding up the ball - but also moved into channels and created space for Sinclair and Forrest to break into from the flank'.

If that's true I don't think it will be all down to 2 weeks under Rodgers and more likely helped by the work with DM and particularly GJ.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #760 on: January 24, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »

Celtic quickly took command, controlling possession and establishing a foothold in the St Mirren half.

The visitors intended to be well-organised and disciplined, but Celtic's attackers were in no mood to be stifled. Burke led by example.

He is powerful and quick, but there is deftness to his movement. He offered a focal point in attack - and was capable of holding up the ball - but also moved into channels and created space for Sinclair and Forrest to break into from the flanks.

The opening goal demanded striker's instincts, and he moved into the right position inside the penalty area to meet Christie's free-kick and head the ball past Vaclav Hladky, who should have done better than meekly palm the ball into the net.

As Burke led the line, Sinclair became emboldened. One run carried him in from the left and his quick feet befuddled Stephen McGinn, who brought him down. Sinclair converted the penalty and soon after had another effort pushed away by the St Mirren goalkeeper.

Burke was the focal point, though, and one spin on the edge of the area brought the time and space to create an opening for Callum McGregor, who blasted over.

Celtic striker Timothy Weah scores against St Mirren
Celtic substitute Timothy Weah scored his second goal in two games for the club

St Mirren tried to be composed on the ball, and there were elements of their play that will have pleased manager Oran Kearney, but they could not contain Celtic.

After the break, Burke added his second when the ball fell to him in the penalty area after McGregor's shot was blocked. Burke finished with composure and power.

From bbc.co.uk

A glowing write up
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #761 on: January 24, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »
Celtic quickly took command, controlling possession and establishing a foothold in the St Mirren half.

The visitors intended to be well-organised and disciplined, but Celtic's attackers were in no mood to be stifled. Burke led by example.

He is powerful and quick, but there is deftness to his movement. He offered a focal point in attack - and was capable of holding up the ball - but also moved into channels and created space for Sinclair and Forrest to break into from the flanks.

The opening goal demanded striker's instincts, and he moved into the right position inside the penalty area to meet Christie's free-kick and head the ball past Vaclav Hladky, who should have done better than meekly palm the ball into the net.

As Burke led the line, Sinclair became emboldened. One run carried him in from the left and his quick feet befuddled Stephen McGinn, who brought him down. Sinclair converted the penalty and soon after had another effort pushed away by the St Mirren goalkeeper.

Burke was the focal point, though, and one spin on the edge of the area brought the time and space to create an opening for Callum McGregor, who blasted over.

St Mirren tried to be composed on the ball, and there were elements of their play that will have pleased manager Oran Kearney, but they could not contain Celtic.

After the break, Burke added his second when the ball fell to him in the penalty area after McGregor's shot was blocked. Burke finished with composure and power.

From bbc.co.uk

A glowing write up

Massive change in comments compared to the ones coming from the celtic fans last week calling him a 'pub league' player.

I think it'll be a win win for the club in all honesty, if he performs well he will come back a different player and he can kick on with his WBA career, or he will push to stay at Celtic and we will get most our money back on him.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #762 on: January 24, 2019, 01:21:53 PM »
He will score goals in that league, nothing against the Scottish league but they standard outside the top2/3 is very poor.

Like the above have been mentioned, Sinclair has regularly been hitting 20/30 goals a season up there.

I imagine he will score around 10 goals between now and the end of the season, he will either come back here like a new signing, or we will sell him to Celtic for around 10million I reckon.

I can't see anyway Celtic will pay £10m for Burke no matter how well he does. That would be their record signing and they only paid more than £6m for a player once in nearly 20 years.

Celtic record signings:

Odsonne Édouard   Â£9,000,000   15 June 2018
Chris Sutton      Â£6,000,000   11 July 2000   
John Hartson           £6,000,000        2 August 2001   
Israel Eyal Berkovic   Â£5,750,000   8 July 1999   [
Neil Lennon      Â£5,750,000        December 2000   
Rafael Scheidt           £4,800,000   1 January 2000   
Olivier Ntcham           £4,500,000   12 July 2017

If he does well, the best we can hope for from Celtic in my opinion will be around £5m with a decent resale percentage. Celtic in general just don't spend that kind of money.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #763 on: January 24, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
Agree that this is a win/win but the general quality in the league is highlighted by the other player mentioned

This is an 18 year old, with great heritage yes, but making his first starts in pro football?   

Burke has definitely got some real qualities to build on as he is quick and powerful. However, it turns out the move to Germany was the worst thing that could have happened as it stopped any natural progression he would have made as a teenager playing week in-week out at Forest at the right level.   I would even have suggested a loan into League 1 so he can get back to basics and play every week before Celtic were kind enough to take him although i would guess that the defensive qualities in those two leagues are about the same.   

If he does well in the rest of the year, maybe we can send him back for another year a la Harver Barnes and see where that takes him in his development?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #764 on: January 24, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
None of our coaches have given any youngster a chance at club, with little or no financial support from owner academy and younger squad players should be used more. If Burke improves under Rodgers what does that say about Moore and Jones?

Lets be frank - the quality of that division is very poor - minus the top three or four.

Burke should be scoring goals in that division - or at least having an impact.

The fact we have had at least four managers fail to use him suggests there are fundamental issues and that is not the fault of Moore or Jones.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #765 on: January 24, 2019, 01:36:42 PM »
I can't see anyway Celtic will pay £10m for Burke no matter how well he does. That would be their record signing and they only paid more than £6m for a player once in nearly 20 years.

Celtic record signings:

Odsonne Édouard   Â£9,000,000   15 June 2018
Chris Sutton      Â£6,000,000   11 July 2000   
John Hartson           £6,000,000        2 August 2001   
Israel Eyal Berkovic   Â£5,750,000   8 July 1999   [
Neil Lennon      Â£5,750,000        December 2000   
Rafael Scheidt           £4,800,000   1 January 2000   
Olivier Ntcham           £4,500,000   12 July 2017

If he does well, the best we can hope for from Celtic in my opinion will be around £5m with a decent resale percentage. Celtic in general just don't spend that kind of money.

They may do if he does well there but Rangers win the title

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: January 24, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
The most positive outcome for me would be that he tears up that tinpot league, and returns to us the player a lot of us thought he could be. As has been said, Celtic would then probably be priced out so he would either stay with us or go to someone who could afford him.
No good to us if his loan goes tits up.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #767 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »

From bbc.co.uk

A glowing write up

Oh Good. Burke scored the first and third goals for Celtic in this match

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #768 on: January 24, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Sounds promising and as said before if he plays well we really can’t lose. Let’s face it, a young powerful and fast striker is the dream for any football fan. However we must remember the league he is playing in. Let’s see how he goes.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #769 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »
They may do if he does well there but Rangers win the title
bet you a tenner they dont

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #770 on: January 24, 2019, 10:12:07 PM »
Other side of the coin - what does it say of the player in a very poor league ? . Pulis , Megson , Pardew and now Moore won't pick him which suggests there's an issue with the player somewhere.
Hope he does well and we get some money back on him but I can't see him making the grade in England in either top two tiers.
I've seen many use this argument
But
Pullis everybody wantedvgone and we all (almost ) agree he's anti football
megson, 2 matches
Pardew, couldn't pick his ar5e
Moore, only goes to youth when forced

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #771 on: January 24, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »
I've seen many use this argument
But
Pullis everybody wantedvgone and we all (almost ) agree he's anti football
megson, 2 matches
Pardew, couldn't pick his ar5e
Moore, only goes to youth when forced

Comment on Moore is ridiculous. He’s given youth players more time on the pitch than previous managers.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #772 on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
Comment on Moore is ridiculous. He’s given youth players more time on the pitch than previous managers.
By persisting with brunt in a centre midfield role when he could have played field of Harper?
Edwards came on against reading, played well never to be seen again
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #773 on: January 25, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
I don’t get this negativity towards Moore with Burke and other younger players. Do people genuinely believe he would choose to not play them if he truely believed they were better just because they were young? That just seems daft to me. There must be a reason they aren’t getting the game time some fans feel they deserve and it can’t be a case of  favouritism all the time.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #774 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:41 AM »
By persisting with brunt in a centre midfield role when he could have played field of Harper?
Edwards came on against reading, played well never to be seen again...........

........ other than substitute appearances in the following game against Wigan and Wigan again in the third round of the FA Cup  ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.