Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 599068 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #600 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:52 PM »
Quality wise, United are well below City, who are well below Liverpool.

Man Utd five points off Liverpool with a game in hand. Man City are below then in fifth. Both sides are stacked with quality. As are Liverpool.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #601 on: December 27, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
He’s just delivered our best performance of the season.

At least he has something to build from.

Agreed. Let's pray we can get a win against Leeds, as we haven't yet managed this season to back up some impressive away performances with anything against the teams around us.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #602 on: December 27, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
Remember when people used to say ‘Allardyce will never manage us because he got sacked as a rookie Assistant Manager in the 80’s’. What a load of cobblers that turned out to be.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 07:03:06 PM by BB74 »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #603 on: December 27, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
Man Utd five points off Liverpool with a game in hand. Man City are below then in fifth. Both sides are stacked with quality. As are Liverpool.

Hence why I mentioned quality and not league position mate.  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #604 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »
Remember when people used to say ‘Allardyce will never manager us because he got sacked as a rookie Assistant Manager in the 80’s’. What a load of cobblers that turned out to be.

Remember when fans said they'd rather see us relegated playing nice football than stay up hoping to nick 1-0s?  I 'member.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #605 on: December 27, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Hence why I mentioned quality and not league position mate.  ;)

All three of them are packed with quality; it is pedantic to suggest that the games against any of them were anything other than extremely difficult challenges. That Man Utd forward line with Fernandes supporting and Cavani on the bench is frightening. City probably impressed me the least out of the three of them and I expect Utd to push Liverpool close for the title; injuries permitting. Although Liverpool tonight looked very flat as well and are missing too many players. Bottom line, we were very unlucky not to get results at all three; that all have world class talent.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #606 on: December 27, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
Remember when people used to say ‘Allardyce will never manage us because he got sacked as a rookie Assistant Manager in the 80’s’. What a load of cobblers that turned out to be.

There was definitely a perception that Allardyce resented our board for sacking him and as a consequence didn't like the club. I think he said as much. All water under the bridge now.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Quality wise, United are well below City, who are well below Liverpool.

Disagree that city are well below Liverpool quality wise.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #608 on: December 27, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »

Time will tell but I expect Liverpool to win the title by at least 15 points.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #609 on: December 27, 2020, 07:13:17 PM »

It's subjective and a never ending debate. Point is, all three have tons of quality and individual players worth the value of our squad. On the one hand, great news we have played all of them and got a few results, on the other hand we have to pick it up massively against the rest of the league. Allardyce's post match interview was level headed and positive.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #610 on: December 27, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
Both sides have quality and different quality at that. Which Willy is bigger than the other Willy is not necessarily needed.

Both points are invaluable to us - today was a much better performance as we largely nullified an excellent side without having to rely on individual quality to keep us in the game. The city result was one way traffic - tonight was different in that not only did we neutralise Liverpool but we gave them a bloody nose too.

We have a blueprint going forwards and we need to build on that otherwise tonight’s hard work is all in vain.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #611 on: December 27, 2020, 07:22:10 PM »
Well done Sam Allardyce and Albion.  It was a great performance and fantastic result v Liverpool.

However, IMO it was only on a par with the performances at Man U and Man C.  The MU game was pretty even and we could've won never mind draw.

I think our players have a problem with belief and playing on the front foot.

The games v Leeds and Arsenal at home really are an acid test.  Better to win 1 and lose 1 than draw both.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #612 on: December 27, 2020, 07:23:16 PM »
Both sides have quality and different quality at that. Which Willy is bigger than the other Willy is not necessarily needed.

Both points are invaluable to us - today was a much better performance as we largely nullified an excellent side without having to rely on individual quality to keep us in the game. The city result was one way traffic - tonight was different in that not only did we neutralise Liverpool but we gave them a bloody nose too.

We have a blueprint going forwards and we need to build on that otherwise tonight’s hard work is all in vain.

Yes and no. I can't see us setting up so defensively against Leeds, West Ham, Arsenal, Fulham, Wolves etc. We have had some decent away performances this season. The performances and results at the Hawthorns however have been shockingly bad. If Allardyce can get us ticking at home and a couple of wins then we have a chance.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #613 on: December 27, 2020, 07:27:39 PM »
Time will tell but I expect Liverpool to win the title by at least 15 points.

Can we have a wager on that please? Genuine offer.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #614 on: December 27, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
Can we have a wager on that please? Genuine offer.

Pm me.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #615 on: December 27, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
It's subjective and a never ending debate. Point is, all three have tons of quality and individual players worth the value of our squad. On the one hand, great news we have played all of them and got a few results, on the other hand we have to pick it up massively against the rest of the league. Allardyce's post match interview was level headed and positive.
Absolutely right, we have been outclassed by teams in mid-table. Unless we start to improve on that we have no chance. These points against the top six are a big bonus but we've got to get results out of Arsenal, Leeds and Dingles

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #616 on: December 27, 2020, 07:36:38 PM »
Like we caved Vs Man City?

This Bilic camp Vs Allardyce camp is beginning to get very tiresome?

The first half was poor, but we kept them at bay. Liverpool seemed content passing it sideways 35 yards from our goal. I'm hoping Allardyce tweaked it/inspired them to support the forward ball a bit more and we actually had a counter attacking threat
I'm not in a camp that's you that has said that, I haven't even used this site in days so I genuinely don't care. I also referenced the City game...

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #617 on: December 27, 2020, 07:36:52 PM »
Reds squad is now worth a whopping £1.83billion according to Forbes.
West Brom squad allegedly worth £55.81 million.
Purely financially we have less than a thirtieth of their 'value'.

Don't give a stuff about league positions tonight.
They might have some quality there, but we were FAR better value for money today.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #618 on: December 27, 2020, 07:39:45 PM »
Yes and no. I can't see us setting up so defensively against Leeds, West Ham, Arsenal, Fulham, Wolves etc. We have had some decent away performances this season. The performances and results at the Hawthorns however have been shockingly bad. If Allardyce can get us ticking at home and a couple of wins then we have a chance.

Can't see why not.  Any team worth their salt in this division should come to us expecting to win.  Same plan....stay in the game, frustrate, compete, let them lose some shape as the game goes on and push on in a controlled way. 

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #619 on: December 27, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »

I’m unsure - I think what we’ve seen in the second half is our blue print going forwards. I don’t think Big Sam will want us to be too open given how impotent we are in front of goal. He mentioned something similar in his post match conference.

Unless we get some solid additions in January which can address our weakest areas...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #620 on: December 27, 2020, 07:53:03 PM »
This game reminded me of Hodgsons first game in charge. You could see what they were working on in training as the side had a definite shape. Second half it was tweaked slightly and I thought we were super. It’s a shame there isn’t a clear week before the next game as they could drill that defending even more but we really need to beat Leeds  now.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #621 on: December 27, 2020, 07:55:06 PM »
Can't see why not.  Any team worth their salt in this division should come to us expecting to win.  Same plan....stay in the game, frustrate, compete, let them lose some shape as the game goes on and push on in a controlled way.

First half we had Callum Robinson at right back and Dianganna at left back. It was farcical at times, with all ten outfield players thirty yards from their own goal and no out ball. The Liverpool players got bored after 30 minutes of kicking it sideways between them. In a weird way it sent them a bit demented. But in the first half that actually put us under more pressure as we couldn't keep the ball for any period of time or get forwards to create a chance. Second half we came out of our shell a lot more. Tactics will change week to week, typically I'd expect us to set-up a lot more like we did under Hodgson against the mid table sides. Yes try to be compact and defensively organised but also carry a threat with the ball.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #622 on: December 27, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
End of the day it worked. Threw Klopp off. His players couldn't work it out either. Nullified them. Went into 2nd half one down and then took it to them. Brilliant plan from Sam.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #623 on: December 27, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
Two homes games in a row now against Leeds on Tuesday and Arsenal on Saturday. If and it's a massive if but suppose we managed to win both and get 6 points. Our season would be completely transformed and it would put us in a great position going into the January transfer window to entice the right calibre of player in.

Can Allardyce work a miracle this week?

Leeds have been up and down. Sublime against Newcastle. Didn't seem to play too badly at Man Utd yet got hammered. Tight victory over Burnley today which was very un-Leeds like. Before that they got done by West Ham and set pieces. The way they keep running is frightening but they are definitely weak from crosses and short of centre backs. They are also overly reliant on Bamford and our games against them last season we're fairly even. Potential to win the game.

Then Arsenal have been all over the place. Defensively naive and without any goals until they got all the lucky breaks against Chelsea and turned them over. That's another game in which we could win, if Sam can get us organised, physical and ruthless; against a flaky opposition.

The next month with the games coming thick and fast and the transfer window is going to be fascinating.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #624 on: December 27, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »
First half we had Callum Robinson at right back and Dianganna at left back. It was farcical at times, with all ten outfield players thirty yards from their own goal and no out ball. The Liverpool players got bored after 30 minutes of kicking it sideways between them. In a weird way it sent them a bit demented. But in the first half that actually put us under more pressure as we couldn't keep the ball for any period of time or get forwards to create a chance. Second half we came out of our shell a lot more. Tactics will change week to week, typically I'd expect us to set-up a lot more like we did under Hodgson against the mid table sides. Yes try to be compact and defensively organised but also carry a threat with the ball.

After around 15 minutes, I wasn't sure where Gibbs was, as you said, Diangana was mostly in the full back position.
I spend the next 10 minutes watching Gibbs, & then it clicked, Gibbs was man marking Sala, when Sala pulled Gibbs out of position Diangana covered the runner on the outside.

Same on the other side, Furlong was man marking Mane, Robinson covered the runner.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?