Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 160756 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
I warmed to him a couple of weeks ago when the team were on the pitch beforehand. They were all sat in a circle and Charlie was talking to them. He appeared to be talking tactics [from his animated way] and the thing I really noticed was how they were all listening to him. I know its an odd thing to notice but he is there with good intentions so when he scored on Saturday I was really pleased for him. You could see that it really meant something to him as well.
I would imagine he's telling them that the football they are playing is amazing but, the ultimate goal is sticking it into the net, and the best way to do that is feed him!
The link up play between Perreira, Diangana, Krov, Sawyers, Furlong etc. is fantastic but, let's face it, it's not Austin's game, so, they have to find a way of using their pace and trickery to create space for him. If they do that we will have our 20 goal striker, without sacrificing the scintillating football we are seeing at the minute, and will have a very good chance, not only of promotion, but winning the league.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2019, 12:16:29 AM »
I would imagine he's telling them that the football they are playing is amazing but, the ultimate goal is sticking it into the net, and the best way to do that is feed him!
The link up play between Perreira, Diangana, Krov, Sawyers, Furlong etc. is fantastic but, let's face it, it's not Austin's game, so, they have to find a way of using their pace and trickery to create space for him. If they do that we will have our 20 goal striker, without sacrificing the scintillating football we are seeing at the minute, and will have a very good chance, not only of promotion, but winning the league.
He did have two very good chances presented to him on Saturday before he scored...he didn't do too much wrong when he failed to score but any striker would be happy with two chances like that in a game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
He did have two very good chances presented to him on Saturday before he scored...he didn't do too much wrong when he failed to score but any striker would be happy with two chances like that in a game.

He seems to be more content/happy here & every player needs to have that feeling.
I thought at 30 with all his experience he was well worth his contract, can see 3 good seasons in him at least at any level.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
He seems to be more content/happy here & every player needs to have that feeling.
I thought at 30 with all his experience he was well worth his contract, can see 3 good seasons in him at least at any level.

The best case scenario is that he becomes our Glenn Nuuray, without fraud case of course.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
Very poor tonight. He’s not going to be the striker that fires us to promotion. Be lucky to get 10 goals this season. Slow, ball bounces off him and unfortunately isn’t finishing the chances youd expect him to
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
Didn't think he had a bad game. His touch was excellent as ever and while he should have done much better with his only chance I have to question the thought process of his team mates, constantly playing the ball into channels in front of him where he clearly hasn't got the pace to get there ahead of the defender, indeed them usually having a head start on him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:25 PM »
Didn't think he had a bad game. His touch was excellent as ever and while he should have done much better with his only chance I have to question the thought process of his team mates, constantly playing the ball into channels in front of him where he clearly hasn't got the pace to get there ahead of the defender, indeed them usually having a head start on him.

His touch was excellent? Had you left early?

I can think of at least three occasions where his touch was very poor, one was under pressure, but the other two weren't. He was so cross with himself at one point, he booted the ball into the hoardings.

I thought he wasn't the answer tonight. Had a decent chance and didn't even get it on target.

We desperately needed pace behind their high line. Charlie could not offer it. Ken would have been a better option.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2019, 11:24:41 PM »
I'd struggle to give him 3/10 tonight
Doesn't even get into positions to score.
Looks woefully unfit and slow.
We currently have 3 strikers who don't look like scoring

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2019, 11:25:58 PM »
He was hopeless. Can’t fault his effort but no skill, touch poor and couldn’t hit a barn door. He definitely isn’t the answer
Don't call me Walt

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »
I haven't knocked him on here or elsewhere yet as I want to give him the chance but  to me he just isn't getting into goalscoring positions.

the amount of quality crosses the wide players and full backs put in he should be lapping it up but hes always 1 step in the wrong direction.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2019, 11:56:58 PM »
He’s a complete pony. He’s playing in the most attacking side in the league with some of the best and most creative midfielders and he can’t do anything. Looks shot and has looked like that from day one. I’m really disappointed so far. He’s going to need replacing in January.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:15 AM »
Legs have gone in my opinion and he ain't getting them back not at his age. Think HRK will score more than this donkey this season only 1 more to get Kanu. Dowling needs to pull his finger out and find Slaven a decent striker in January as his two signings upfront have been poor so far, as for giving Hal new contract does he not like his job.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2019, 12:21:43 AM »
He’s a complete pony. He’s playing in the most attacking side in the league with some of the best and most creative midfielders and he can’t do anything. Looks shot and has looked like that from day one. I’m really disappointed so far. He’s going to need replacing in January.
He's playing in the most attacking team in the league correct! But the most attacking team in the league haven't got a clue how and when to play him in!!?Look at what's happening around him! Don't just be blinkered he had no service at all again.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:02 AM »
He didn't have a lot of service to be fair, particularly first half. What is disappointing me about Austin at the moment is he's not getting on the end of crosses he doesn't seem to have that instinct to find that half a yard in the area. I'm wondering if he's the type of striker that is best in a two up top? We can't and won't change the way we play to accommodate him though, although we seemed to go 4-3-3 late on yesterday with Pereira as the only wide player and Austin and Kanu through the middle. It's a problem.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2019, 05:06:52 AM »
Not sure he particularly fits the system. Also not sure we set up for the lone striker to score lots. The goals are coming from second row at the moment.  Hopefully we go in for another striker in January
O Albion we love you

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2019, 06:46:56 AM »
He's playing in the most attacking team in the league correct! But the most attacking team in the league haven't got a clue how and when to play him in!!?Look at what's happening around him! Don't just be blinkered he had no service at all again.

The voice of sanity, thank you 59.

Last night I lost count of the amount of times he asked for the ball to be played along the ground through the defence, but instead we pirouetted into another sideways pass. He often finds himself offside because the team have not read the situation and the moment is gone but you have nailed it when you say they are not playing him in.
MAGA!

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
The voice of sanity, thank you 59.

Last night I lost count of the amount of times he asked for the ball to be played along the ground through the defence, but instead we pirouetted into another sideways pass. He often finds himself offside because the team have not read the situation and the moment is gone but you have nailed it when you say they are not playing him in.

exactly this.

If you watch his movement, he very regular makes runs and last night made some decent ones but we were taking that long to get the ball forward and playing side wards he then becomes offside and the chance has gone.

hes not the austin he was at 25 and thats why we have him in the championship, but he is still a good player in this league IF we use him correctly.

as i say, we took far too long to get the ball forward last night and didnt create anything for him. in the smethwick end last night he seemed to be the scapegoat IMO.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
Whether it's him or the system, it's simply not working, his touch and positioning are way off and he just doesn't look like scoring. Trouble is, neither does Kanu, and Ken seems to be out of the picture, so I think it's time to take a risk with one of the youngsters. Soule or Willock need to at least be making the bench. A bit of youthful energy might fit better with the style of Diangana and Perreira.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
I think it was Vanderlei who wanted a £20 bet that Charlie will get 20 goals + this season  ;D after I said that he wouldn't.
I didn't reply at the time because I just didn't see it.
If you have £20 to throw away mate, give it a more deserving cause than me  ;D
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
He hasn't missed any open goals or one-against-one with the keeper, as far as I can remember. But as a striker you need to take some of the half-chances coming your way.  He will need to start taking some of those.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
I just don't think he's suited to the lone striker role. Shame really. The efforts there but he's not getting into that many clear goalscoring positions.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
I think it was Vanderlei who wanted a £20 bet that Charlie will get 20 goals + this season  ;D after I said that he wouldn't.
I didn't reply at the time because I just didn't see it.
If you have £20 to throw away mate, give it a more deserving cause than me  ;D
I replied to him and offered to take his bet, but he never replied to me. All mouth and no wallet.
I never thought he was a good signing but I was hoping to be proved wrong. I thought he played quite well against Cardiff but the rest of his performances have ranged from ok to poor. Hasn't been a regular scorer at any level in any system for a while now, and can't see any prospect of this changing any time soon I'm afraid.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
I just don't think he's suited to the lone striker role. Shame really. The efforts there but he's not getting into that many clear goalscoring positions.
He's really always been more of a goal poacher, drifting around in and out of the game and trying to turn up in the box at the right time

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »
I'm really struggling with this guy, I wasn't thrilled but was hopeful that in this division he could get a lot of goals along the way, I anticipated a lot of frustration but did think he may be productive. Productive is the exact opposite of what he has been, early yes but I really don't see what he is good at. The ball bounces off him, he loves to fall to the floor, not very quick, lacks stamina and in front of goal there is no end product, he doesn't seem to anticipate and he's had a fair few chances (not guilt edge) that he has just not connected cleanly.

The biggest thing is his petulance, this was a concern coming in and he has delivered on that front, constantly. Obviously things aren't going great but he seems to have such an attitude. A few times I have compared him to an angry child, a big performance by the Smethwick End last night. It's hard to judge a players personality on how you would perceive them to be off the pitch but his outbursts really don't reflect well for me.

This might not be the post people want to read but this is my opinion and I really feel he has proved to be one of the most difficult guys to support in my time watching the Albion.

I will add his goal against Cardiff after a rare good performance brought my biggest cheer of the season and I really hoped he would kick on, that hope is still there but he has a bit of work to do.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
How much longer do you wait for Austin to come good?  It would be interesting to note how many Gayle had notched by league match 14?  It's putting strain on the rest of the team with him not scoring and this is from a defensive and attacking perspective.  We can't carry this on indefinitely.  Obviously HRK is better with 20 min cameos and he's a good option to do that particular role.

I noted we signed a 19 year old French striker from Le Havre's academy recently, maybe he's worth a go?  You just never know.  If he's quick then you have the option of going direct occasionally and therefore mixing the play.  We can't even do that with Austin as he doesn't outpace defenders.

No idea when Zohore is fit again?  The jury is still out on him too.