Author Topic: 4 Aug 2018 Albion 1 Bolton Wanderers 2  (Read 67486 times)

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #425 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »
If Bolton are anything to go by then this league is dogshit and we’ll fit right in.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #426 on: August 05, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken those 3 attempts were from corners not from crosses into the box from open play though?  Hegazi wouldn't have been in the box to get to any crosses from open play.

We were crossing into the box in open play for attackers that were too small to win the headers against the Bolton back line though, playing it through them would've made more sense since we'd lost the height battle. Why continue with a tactic that wasn't working?

Yeah you're probably right about Hegazi's headers being from corners. I thought you were talking generally, not just from open play. But even from corners we had a few stinkers that went horribly wrong. Like the one in the second half where we had to chase back to our own half after a misplaced pass... :o

The main point is, Bolton crowded their box to stop us passing through them, and we didn't have a plan B.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: August 05, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »
Yeah you're probably right about Hegazi's headers being from corners. I thought you were talking generally, not just from open play. But even from corners we had a few stinkers that went horribly wrong. Like the one in the second half where we had to chase back to our own half after a misplaced pass... :o

The main point is, Bolton crowded their box to stop us passing through them, and we didn't have a plan B.

It reminded me of a bad Tony Mowbray performance, albeit to his credit Mowbray could pull his style off in the Championship.

Lots of possession and side-ways passing but nothing through the middle and resorted to going wide with crosses against big defenders.
I think it also showed up Livermore. For years he's lived off the reputation as a tidy passer, but he isn't. He can pass backwards or sideways but when he's meant to go forward he either goes backwards or plays a horrible pass.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: August 06, 2018, 12:14:59 AM »
Poor performance with none of the central midfielders willing to take control,all I saw all game was Bartley passing to Hegazi who would pump the ball up to HRK who didn't possess the skill to control the ball and pass it on.
Brunt is not a central midfielder and our to fullbacks were awful, keeper looked shakey from start and should have kept out their winner. Darren needs to use his bench and Jimmy should have been used some time during game.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #429 on: August 06, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
Surprised that blatant offside flag that clearly wasn't offside hasn't raised more ire, dreadful officiating and his whole immovable statue pose at the time showed him thinking WTF have I done?  :o
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
Poor performance from start to finish - lots of nothing possession but severly lacking in creativity and we can have no excuses for losing.

That centre back pairing looked terrible. Hegazi had his worst game for this football club and had the attitude of someone who could not be arsed.

Plenty of industry from Brunt and Livermore but lacking in creativity against a well drilled side. That approach will just not work and needs to be binned.

As for HRK and Rodriguez.. Well.. I'm not sure Gayle will answer those questions to be honest.

Major culture shock for some of those players.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
Surprised that blatant offside flag that clearly wasn't offside hasn't raised more ire, dreadful officiating and his whole immovable statue pose at the time showed him thinking WTF have I done?  :o

I can see how the officials got to the wrong decision with being a match official myself, so allow me to offer a bit of insight into it.

I think it was HRK who initially tried to run on to Gibbs' ball, the assistant referee made a balls up by flagging HRK too early, he should only have flagged when HRK touched the ball. Our directive (as a match official) is to wait, wait, wait unless there is going to be a coming together between the keeper and striker, thats the only time a flag should go up early.

Ref got caught up in the moment and should have told the assistant to drop his flag but didn't, very poor by all.

I know for a fact that they would have spoken about it at half time and admitted to each other that they dropped  a major clanger. Been there, done that myself  ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:46:55 PM by Andio »