Poll

Will we get promoted?

Yes
64 (28.2%)
No
163 (71.8%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Author Topic: Will we get promoted?  (Read 23622 times)

HamsteadHarry

• Junior Baggie

Re: Will we get promoted?
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
I think it will be an inconsistent season but the play-offs are doable.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
I think the club is in a right mess and Big Dave wasn't the right appointment. Love the bloke but it's such mess that asking a novice, because that's what he is, to sort it out is ridiculous. We haven't even got an assistant manager and we are two weeks away from the season starting.

We will be closer to the bottom than the top imo.

I honestly think we are in for hard times similar to those in the late 80s early 90s.

Peace, Pulis and Pardew have left us in an unbelievable mess that could well take years to get out of.

This is exactly as I see it. We are now just another QPR, Ipswich, Norwich, Birmingham City etc....etc....I fear our first priority will be to avoid the drop and play with a really boring negative approach!! I hope to God to be proved wrong.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 08:51:02 AM »
It's completely dependent on the kids in my opinion. There are going to be big questions regarding how good they are and if they can step up and deliver. If the answers aren't yes then we are in for a very long tough season.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
If that Cardiff team can get promotion anyone can and despite it all our squad will be one of the better ones in the division so we should be in the mix.

Do I have reservations about Darren Moore? Yes would I swap him for Gary Rowett or Tony Pulis absolutely not.

Looking at the betting markets it is an interesting comparison between the Championship and the Premier League.

In the Championship the Favourites for the title are Stoke at 5/1 and the rank outsiders are Rotherham/Bolton at 200/1. We are 8/1 second favourites.

In the Premier League the Favourites are Man City at 8/13 and the outsiders are Cardiff at 2000/1 7th in the betting are Everton are at 200/1.

This is a different league we are not one of the also rans and the also rans in the Championship don't spend £50m on a player they get free transfers from other also rans if they are lucky.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
you mean the players that got us relegated? I wish Rondon and Chadli had already gone.

I mean the players that got decent results in 5 of the last six games.
I did say committed and focused.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 09:41:01 AM »
I think the club is in a right mess and Big Dave wasn't the right appointment. Love the bloke but it's such mess that asking a novice, because that's what he is, to sort it out is ridiculous. We haven't even got an assistant manager and we are two weeks away from the season starting.

We will be closer to the bottom than the top imo.

I honestly think we are in for hard times similar to those in the late 80s early 90s.

Peace, Pulis and Pardew have left us in an unbelievable mess that could well take years to get out of.

Whilst I agree with the pulis and Pardew comments, I don’t agree with the comment about us being close to the bottom of the table.

Our squad as it stands would easily see 10 of our players walk in to any other championship team.

We still have ‘premiership quality’, Dawson, Rodriguez, Phillips, Brunt, Rondon, Livermore can all do a job in the prem.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
A lot depends on what happens with Rondon, Rodriguez, Chadli and Dawson

Lose them and they will have to be replaced but I don't trust the club to replace them adequately

We also need to address the midfield because it is far too heavy on defensive midfielders and I'm not sure pinning our hopes on that biscuit bodied James Morrison will work in the long run.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
We still have ‘premiership quality’, Dawson, Rodriguez, Phillips, Brunt, Rondon, Livermore can all do a job in the prem.
Which is where 5 out of 6 of them will be hoping to be playing next season. If they don't manage that, it then comes down to their mental attitude and commitment levels, and 2 of them already have previous in that regard.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »
All depends on the owner if he backs Darren which he should after final six games of season then top two at a canter, messes the bloke about by not backing him then top ten. Big Dave has my full support for the coming season, he's one of us and granted he's inexperienced as first team coach but he has been given a chance so let's get behind him.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
Any successful organisation requires a good leader. The bloke in charge of WBA is on the other side of the World. I have stated my opinions of him before and it is not allowed. One must not criticise him. While he owns the Club, though, I fear that the club will stagnate. If I say what I think of our ‘esteemed’ owner, I will probably be banned..........

Promotion? With the present regime, no chance, sadly.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
No chance. I'm more worried about not getting relegated

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
We'll have a pretty good idea after the first three games, all against solid champ clubs who'd be eyeing promotion themselves

WBASweden

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »
I voted yes. I just think there is far too much quality in our squad. I'm taking it as it is today but running down the positions:

Goalkeepers
Johnstone, Bond, Palmer

I know Cutler wants 3 goalkeepers but in that department I would be happy to go into the season with the above. We have signed one of the best keepers in the league in Johnstone. Nothing to worry about in this position.

Central Defence
Dawson, Hegazi, Bartley, Fitzwater

Definitely a top 6 central defensive partnership there in Dawson/Hegazi or Dawson/Bartley. I'd feel more comfortable if we had one more player for cover.

Full Backs
Gibbs, Nyom

We could be seen as being weak in this area with our only cover from Dawson at RB and Brunt at LB. We probably need to sign one more fill back. I again feel that Nyom and Gibbs will do absolutely fine in this league. Gibbs and Nyom can both get forward when needed and hopefully under Big Dave will have the licence to venture over the halfway line.

Overall, I think with one addition to cover full back and centre back we have a very useful defensive outfit.

Defensive Midfield
Barry, Livermore, Field

I think Barry will be a massive asset this year and will have time and space to control games. He won't be able to play every game at his age now but it gives Field a chance to shine. Livermore has shown he is more than capable of playing at this level. The only thing we might lack here is a bit of energy that players like Mulumbu and Kante have in their game to up the tempo.

Attacking Midfield
Chadli, Morrison, Harper

This is the crucial position that we need to strengthen and will probably decide where we finish. Chadli is assumed to leave and if he doesn't will he stay fit? He would frighten teams at this level and be a class act. It is imperative we spend every penny we get for him on a like for like replacement. When we went up last time we had Dorrans who could inject pace with direct running to open up teams. We have no-one in midfield who can do this. In my opinion Morrison should only be a bit part player as back up this year.

Wide Players
Brunt, Phillips, Burke, Edwards

Phillips is going to play every game if he can stay fit and will be a massive asset at this level. Burke and Edwards will play on the other side. It's been tweeted we are close to replacing McLean so as long as we add quality to our side with his replacement I think this position is well stocked.

Overall in midfield there won't be any other clubs, except Stoke maybe that possess the quality we've got. My only worry is the lack of pace and creativity in attacking midfield. Hopefully the wide boys can add the energy we don't have in central midfield.

Strikers
Rondon, Rodriguez, Robson-Kanu

We are one light here and the addition of Vydra would finish it off in my opinion. This is where every team in the league will be jealous of us. We probably have the best strikeforce in the league at current. I can't see anything other than Rodriguez being top scorer in this league with Rondon bullying defenders and carrying us up the pitch.

Overall I look at our squad and think we need central defence and full back cover. An additional striker who can score goals, a replacement for McLean and a top quality attacking midfielder at this level.

I think Big Dave has already identified the need for the defensive cover using Cranie as a trialist and we are close to signing our winger according to reports. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned it's just the other two attacking players we need and with the sale of Chadli we should easily be able to buy them both. I'm not too fussed about a 3rd keeper if Bond is deemed good enough for number 2 and if he isn't I'm not sure why we signed him.

An exciting season ahead. Not sure there is the need for all the doom and gloom on  here.

I would play Phillips as a cam role or as the number 10 behind Jrod/Rondon/(Vydra) in a 4-4-1-1. I think that is the role he plays in the national team where he has been pretty decent

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »
Any successful organisation requires a good leader. The bloke in charge of WBA is on the other side of the World. I have stated my opinions of him before and it is not allowed. One must not criticise him. While he owns the Club, though, I fear that the club will stagnate. If I say what I think of our ‘esteemed’ owner, I will probably be banned..........

Promotion? With the present regime, no chance, sadly.
Views on Lai are perfectly allowed , some of the names you post are not as you have been told before in all honesty.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 12:39:00 PM by Dexy »

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
mid table at best - I don't think a lot of people realise just how tough this league is and to get out of! 46 games 2 a week sat - tues or whenever because of tv!
What a mess we've made of things!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 05:32:48 PM »
I honestly have no idea how we will do. If we start well and build momentum then we have a chance. In terms of investment and ambition to get back up Stoke seem to be the team to beat "financially" (although that doesn't always translate on the pitch). They are backing Rowett with a chunk of money.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 06:00:48 PM »
Heads we will, tails we won’t  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 06:21:25 PM »
It’s going to be a long long season! Give me the play offs now

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 10:16:06 PM »
We need a decent number 10 who can score and make goal's. We need to replace McClean with a quick left winger who also can make and score goals.

We still too predictable I think so it will be hard or us. Also think playing brunt cm will hinder us rather than help. He's either left midfield or left back.

Spot on, we need fresh blood, fresh legs in there. Brunt is not as effective in the middle at all, never has been.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 11:02:18 PM »
Spot on, we need fresh blood, fresh legs in there. Brunt is not as effective in the middle at all, never has been.
There is one suggestion guaranteed to get Phil biting 😂
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Arthur Pewty

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
The Club are obviously taking a different approach following the autocratic one of Pulis. It may take time, however there is nothing wrong in trying to utilise the resources that you have made major investments in over a number of years as opposed to the highly paid mercenary one that Pulis favoured. If the owners keep their nerve I can see the long term benefits; however could take 3 seasons..

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »
With the players we have can we dominate the centre of the park,the answer is no they are all 30 plus except for Livermore and Sam Field. We have no pace or real creation even with Jake and Sam that would be effective over a prolonged season.
Barry cannot do the yards he has not got the legs, Brunt and Morrison the same maybe 10 years ago going forward but tackling and defensively they have never been an asset hence Mulumbu. Livermore if still here has to have a great season but again he is limited for pace relying on him to go back and forwards all season I think is to much to ask.     
Sam Field and Rakeem have got the legs but they will be up against it in this league where its no good asking for fouls,this is a blood and guts game in the middle. They either become the men or fade away in this league.   
Without a energy packed engine room I think we will be mid table with a chance of the play offs this season it really depends on whether the youngsters shine at the moment for me.         
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:04:12 AM by Throstletown »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »
There is one suggestion guaranteed to get Phil biting 😂

Its not a bite mate  :D

Its a fact he is not as effective in the middle, never has been, we need better creativity.  8)

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
We should be challenging, squad depth at the moment looks okay and looks like for every player leaving a new player will replace.

Gk - Johnstone, bond and probably Moore
Rb - Nyom and Wilson
Cb - Dawson Bartley Hegazi Fitzwater
Lb - Gibbs Melbourne

Wingers - Phillips, Burke Leko and mccleans replacement & Edwards
Cm - Livermore Field Barry Brunt
CAM - chadli + probably Morrison

St- rondon jrod and hrk

Chadli, rondon and mcclean out. Obviously all 3 will be replaced. Can see Cranie getting a deal as cover for the back 4. Brunt can cover lb. Would like rondon our and 2 strikers in to give us options from the bench. That squad should get play offs minimum

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
We'll do well to make the play-offs, I think we'll struggle early on before finishing around mid-table. We're one of the most unstable clubs in the division which doesn't help things, if you compare how relatively sedate Stoke are by comparison we look particularly bad, whilst Moore is in his first season, and the players are still largely the outfielders who can't do anything other than play direct hoof ball.

The early transfer window in particular is going to be harmful to us moreso than most teams. Still about half of our would be best eleven look set to go, whilst we've been far from proactive in getting in new signings. The only business we seem to be doing is like for like replacements for certain players rather than pursuing areas of definite need.