Champions
Runners Up
Winners of play offs
Failure at play offs
Mid Table
Lower half
Relegation battle but survive
Relegated

Author Topic: 2018-2019 Season  (Read 14548 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

2018-2019 Season
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
This poll is assuming (which is very highly likely) that we will be relegated.

What is you immediate gut feeling on next season?

It's very early days and we don't know who will be staying, who will be going or who will be signing.

I would like to think we will come back and rebuild but I think the likelihood is we will probably finish around the 8-12th mark. 

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: 2018-2019 Season
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
I don't think there's any way of knowing at this stage. We don't know who's staying, who's going, who's coming in ... We don't even know who will be in charge.

We won't go down I'll commit as far as that but that's about all I'm willing to stick my neck out to at this stage.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
Ever since relegation became a likelihood I've been thinking we'd languish in the bottom half of the Chumps next season.

So why when this poll came up did I go for Champions of the league?

???
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
I have gone for mid table, it will take a season or two to get the club back on track imo.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
We'll p**s the league with a record points haul and 100 plus goals.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
If we build the attacking team that has been spoken of and keep Foster in goal, with Hegazi, Gibbs, Field infront and the like we should finish top 2.

Either way it should be fun (assuming we go up)
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »
I’ve gone for failure at play offs. Mainly because I feel a play off position finish would be regarded as a decent first season back at that level. That said niece you’re in the play offs it’s a very fine line.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
I still don't know how to start a new thread, but even so this link seems kind of apt on here; it DOES refer to next season.

Brunty is an Albion Legend, I love his passion and commitment. Top geezer.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/16/chris-brunt-admits-west-brom-s-squad-shouldnt-be-going-down/
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:48 PM »
mid table at least I should hope! its a minefield of a league where anybody can beat anybody! but I just don't see up coming back up! hope I'm wrong but that is gut feeling as the OP asked
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:12 AM »
The only worry for me is that both of the teams coming down with us (Southampton and Stoke) are also established Premier League teams with very strong squads and finances. When you look at the squads, all three of us should be nowhere near relegation and it is the appointment of numerous appalling managers has got us all into this position. If we were going down with the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield then I'd be more confident of an instant return.

That said, we'll still have one of the top 3 budgets next season and a lot of room for manoeuvre with the outgoings and wage flex-downs. If we get the DoF and head coach appointments right then we should make the play offs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:08:25 AM by wba_1996 »

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 03:22:15 AM »
 :o Too early to make any comments best to ask again around November/December after about 15 games.

If I was to make a wild guess I would say "play-offs" which would be a good seasons progress of re-building the team.

A lot depends on Mr Lai and how much he is happy to put into recruitment and a top manager.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
We should make the play-offs. I think we might get off to a slow start simply because there is going to be so much change to bed in. I also think that if Stoke and  Southampton come down they will be a least competitive and neither will slide down the table like Hull and Sunderland have. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
I think people are expecting too much. The last three years have been a total disaster. We're going to have to completely re-build....especially the crucial midfield (the main cause of all our problems this season IMO). The whole mind-set and approach to the game will need to alter under whoever takes charge, its going to take time until everything starts to click. Mid-table at best for me next season....and then kick on in 2020.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
ask me in august :) one things for sure i dont think we will do a sunderland
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:00 AM »
I think people are expecting too much. The last three years have been a total disaster. We're going to have to completely re-build....especially the crucial midfield (the main cause of all our problems this season IMO). The whole mind-set and approach to the game will need to alter under whoever takes charge, its going to take time until everything starts to click. Mid-table at best for me next season....and then kick on in 2020.

My thoughts as well...

Midtable, with a solid rebuild done....   
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
I went for win play offs. I can't see us winning the league, I think one of the regular championship teams will be ahead of us there. But I like the idea of winning the play offs. Trip to Wembley.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
I'll let you know when that happens  ;)

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »
Champions J-Rod and Rondonwill rip up Chumps league and
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
Top 10 with always on touching distance of a late play off run would be considered a success for me. Whoever we appoint I want to give them time to build a team and that may mean we don’t jump the gun too quickly if we hit some poor form.

It’s going to take a couple of summers minimum to rebuild.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:02:58 PM by HampshireBaggie »

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »
This poll is assuming (which is very highly likely) that we will be relegated.

What is you immediate gut feeling on next season?

It's very early days and we don't know who will be staying, who will be going or who will be signing.

I would like to think we will come back and rebuild but I think the likelihood is we will probably finish around the 8-12th mark.

Get rid of Barry Evans and loans - Moore has put back some pride and enjoyment for the players - they owe us and some might stay to give it a shot to win the champ and get us back.

Offer the incentive of the wage reduction paid back if they come straight  back up

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 11:03:46 AM »
It is really hard to tell which way we will go next year. It is clear that we are set to lose a large number of players in the summer. Loan players will go back to their clubs, Evans will be snapped up at a bargain 3 million, the club obviously want to see Chadli go and then you have Yacob and probably Morrison who will be free agents (Yacob on a free will attract a number of prem teams, while Morrison will struggle to get a new deal with us after spending a year out injured).

There will be interest in our other players, but with all of those mentioned already going, I can't see us letting even more go (unless Rondon's release clause is met, which I doubt).

It all depends on the rebuilding job. I can't see us hiring a new technical director till the autumn, so Terraneo will have to come good on the signings front. Can he rebuild the team? We have some real quality at championship level in Gibbs, Rodriguez, Rondon, Hegazi, Dawson, even Barry and Foster.

With the right decision making and scouting, we could go strsight back up.
Boing Boing

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »

There will be interest in our other players, but with all of those mentioned already going, I can't see us letting even more go (unless Rondon's release clause is met, which I doubt).

It all depends on the rebuilding job. I can't see us hiring a new technical director till the autumn, so Terraneo will have to come good on the signings front. Can he rebuild the team? We have some real quality at championship level in Gibbs, Rodriguez, Rondon, Hegazi, Dawson, even Barry and Foster.

I would be surprised if Rondon's release clause isn't met to be honest. Would Barry be quality in the Championship? He may be decent down there if the side built can cover his weaknesses but I don't want him at the club next season, truth be told I never wanted him in the first place.

In response to the main thread, I think it is too early to judge how next season will go at this stage without knowing what the off-field setup will look like. If done correctly, we absolutely could come back up at the first time of asking but I don't think that will be the case sadly. I can see us fizzling out into the new Norwich in that league; hopefully some of the decisions made over the next few months help me change my mind.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
A massive indicator of whether we can be successful next season will be character related. Even losing a few of our better players we should have enough quality to finish top 6 in the championship, however as we know well from a couple of promotions, desire, commitment and organisation can be more important than quality in this division e.g. Cardiff this season.

Someone needs to have a good look into the players eyes that are staying and assess whether they have the character, desire, commitment as well as the quality to get us to 85+ points over 6 games which is a long slog of a season.

After performances this season , you'd have to question this with many of our players.

I still think a top 6 finish next season would be success following a huge rebuild. It's not as if we've gone down unluckily and kept a core of a squad we want to build on like if Huddersfield go down this season?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
I would be surprised if Rondon's release clause isn't met to be honest. Would Barry be quality in the Championship? He may be decent down there if the side built can cover his weaknesses but I don't want him at the club next season, truth be told I never wanted him in the first place.

In response to the main thread, I think it is too early to judge how next season will go at this stage without knowing what the off-field setup will look like. If done correctly, we absolutely could come back up at the first time of asking but I don't think that will be the case sadly. I can see us fizzling out into the new Norwich in that league; hopefully some of the decisions made over the next few months help me change my mind.

As much as I like and respect Rondon, if a club came in with a £15 million offer for a striker who has been unable to hit double figures in the league in his 3 years here, then I would bite their hands off.

As it stands, I just can't see it happening.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »
Cleared out the board, depends if we can get rid of the bad eggs and have a squad full of players to play for the cause.

Loaners obviously going back, Evans chadli Rondon will go. If we can get rid of the likes of Barry and myhill also. Big question marks over commitment of Livermore and Phillips for me this year so would happily see the back of them.

I would be trying to build a team around a spine of foster, Dawson (presuming nobody comes in for him) yacob Brunt Rodriquez (again if nobody comes in for him) nyom Burke field McLean will do a decent job in the championship.

We are desperate for a pacey striker (still)

If we get those out the door that need/want to go and get the right players in to compliment what we have then I don't see why we can't aim for playoffs and beyond
O Albion we love you