West Brom Dot Com

Author Topic: Why no political debates  (Read 862 times)

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
Why no political debates
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
Sensible question, why is the debate on Syria cut short for being political?
There is a debate about a terrorist attack in Germany, Doctors Surguries, gun control in America, waste of public funds all with political overtones.
Is there a set criteria for allowing debate or is it down to the control of individual moderators?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Offline Nathan

• Youth Baggie
Re: Why no political debates
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
Sensible question, why is the debate on Syria cut short for being political?
There is a debate about a terrorist attack in Germany, Doctors Surguries, gun control in America, waste of public funds all with political overtones.
Is there a set criteria for allowing debate or is it down to the control of individual moderators?

Exactly. Any discussion on current affairs can be classed as political in one way or another, even if discussing the price of chips. Another example of unnecessary censorship from the easily offended, politically correct thought police.

Offline glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Like it or not Politics affect us all some quite profoundly.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Offline tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
Exactly. Any discussion on current affairs can be classed as political in one way or another, even if discussing the price of chips. Another example of unnecessary censorship from the easily offended, politically correct thought police.

Or we have to treat people like children because they simply can act like adults and debate without name calling etc....

Its been banned for a reason and its nothing to do with censorship and all to do with a lack of respect for peoples opinions on both sides
B_H_Baggie : Dexy : Dudleylad : kris_boing : OldburyWBA
Hull Baggie : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : Political Cake : tommcneill : WBArgo

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Or we have to treat people like children because they simply can act like adults and debate without name calling etc....

Its been banned for a reason and its nothing to do with censorship and all to do with a lack of respect for peoples opinions on both sides

But you get that in every debate, even by professional people.
Might have missed it but I didn't see any name calling or lack of respect on the Syria thread.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
Because we are not allowing any political talk on WestBrom.com, we have enough to do in our own lives to not have to spend more time policing this section than the rest of the forum put together, decision was made, a notification put as a sticky and any topic that turns slightly political will be removed.

Its a football forum first and foremost and too many people were not bothering with other sections and reducing any political thread to petty squabbling so it went and ain't coming back.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »

Its got sweet fa to any politically correct thought police, more to do with the fact we have lives away from here and better things to do than referee childish squabbling between those who should know better and cannot respect others have a different opinion.

Its a football forum first and foremost and thats how it will stay

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »
Its got sweet fa to any politically correct thought police, more to do with the fact we have lives away from here and better things to do than referee childish squabbling between those who should know better and cannot respect others have a different opinion.

Its a football forum first and foremost and thats how it will stay

Your missing my original question Oldbury.
There is political content in the non political segment.
So is the removal of topics to do with individual response rather than content

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
Your missing my original question Oldbury.
There is political content in the non political segment.
So is the removal of topics to do with individual response rather than content

I haven't missed it, anything that turns political will be removed, that topic turned political so it went.

It stayed long enough with all talk keeping clear of politics, any topic that is discussed with no politics can stay but at the end of the day this is a football forum and any other section is purely an extension of the main forum and should not be the reason why some come on here which is what was happening, too many coming on purely to talk politics with no interest or very little in the main reason for this website and too much of our time moderating this section purely because grown men cannot discuss things like adults.

Offline east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
More forums should follow your lead, frankly.
Que Sera Sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Shrewsbury, Que Sera Sera

Offline divinewind

• WBA Coach
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
Football and other sports can become politiical, such as the WC in Russia.

What is it ok to mention then?

Offline Atomic

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 01:51:56 PM »
Football and other sports can become politiical, such as the WC in Russia.

Not to mention the Safe Standing debate.

Sorry Oldbury (Phil) just saying. Even ticket pricing can become political. Where do you draw the line?

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Not to mention half the threads in the 'non political' section.

Like I've already said, Terrorist Attack in Germany, Doctors Surgeries, Gun Laws in America all politically potent and still on.
From what I can gather it's down to individuals behaviour towards each other and not so much to do with content.
But disagreements happen on all the other boards as well.

Offline WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
Yes and they're like a children's playground rather than being a platform for rational and respectful debate, so I'm happy with the stance taken on westbrom.com, which provides a relative haven from all the pathetic nonsense elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:56:54 PM by WorcsWBA »

Offline tuamigos

• WBA Manager
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
Yes and they're like a children's playground rather than being a platform for rational and respectful debate, so I'm happy with the stance taken on wetbrom.com, which provides a relative haven from all the pathetic nonsense elsewhere.

I give up  ::)

Offline WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 04:58:07 PM »
Join a politics forum if you want debate political matters, simple as that

Offline caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
political debate was killing this site some days, it's a football forum but sometimes there wasn't any posts at all except about brexit.

Offline glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »
political debate was killing this site some days, it's a football forum but sometimes there wasn't any posts at all except about brexit.
Yes but you "had" the choice to read it or not. No one forced you.
Sites like this have declined massively in the last 5 years or so. Although I prefer them.
Ultimately all the threads on here can end up being political as that is how laws and issues get resolved or not.
If it is a football forum then fine that's what I use it for and it is very good.
Would be best just football only. As that is the owners preference.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Offline Adder

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
It was actually depressing attempting to find the football threads in amongst the biased titles of the political threads - the forum is a better place without the political sparring. (still depressing mind  ::))

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 11:50:03 PM »

Not to mention the Safe Standing debate.

Sorry Oldbury (Phil) just saying. Even ticket pricing can become political. Where do you draw the line?

Difference is that the Safe Standing stuff and even ticket prices are connected to the whole reason for the forum being here.

Grown men having hissy fits and throwing insults around because someone has the audacity to disagree with them is pathetic and takes up too much time for us which can be spent elsewhere.

Offline OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:19 PM »
Not to mention half the threads in the 'non political' section.

Like I've already said, Terrorist Attack in Germany, Doctors Surgeries, Gun Laws in America all politically potent and still on.
From what I can gather it's down to individuals behaviour towards each other and not so much to do with content.

I would personally be happy to remove any non football topic from the forum. As is it is we have agreed to leave this section here as long as topics are not turned political. The other alternative is if people are not happy then we remove it fully and problem is solved.

Offline Albionic

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 12:25:15 AM »
I applaud the stance on non-politics for what its worth.
Supposed to be a site for Albion fans to discuss things footy and sometimes it descended into a playground much more amicable now "politics" has gone.
Christened in rainbow, Grew up in Brummie, Lived in smethwick, Very likely die in halfords!

Offline SmethDan

• Senior Baggie
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »
My tuppence worth.

I have absolutely no problem with political threads per se as like others I can choose whether to open them or not. But I do have a problem with poorly informed/formed opinions. Especially when ignorance, laziness, lack of personal development or my personal fuse lighter condescension leads to pointless slagging matches where the focus and reasoned debate is often lost. Nobody gains anything in these instances apart from petty, personal one-upmanship. Such point scoring leads to bad feeling which can and at times has been carried over into other threads.

Now don't get me wrong, I've had posts edited and posts deleted on a number of topics. Generally speaking I haven't always seen why and will admit to a certain amount of frustration, especially when I'd have liked to stand my corner. However, the site provides a PM facility which could be utilized for this purpose. Further, the mods do a very good job on here so I've never questioned why said posts have been edited or deleted.

While I appreciate why others enjoy the back and forth of political 'debate', I think this is a great and free facility which shouldn't be abused. Sadly it often is. As such although I don't really have a problem with political threads per se, I have little care for them either and as such I'm in complete agreement with both the mods and the site provider in this instance.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Offline BoingFlyer

• Reserve Baggie
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »

A lot of the politics threads where just recycling the same arguments and there was no real new discussions being put forward, instead they were descending in to snide remarks being made. Right decision to remove them. As others have said plenty of other boards about where politics can be discussed.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Offline baggie53

• Youth Baggie
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 11:53:03 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that people who used to post all the time on the Brexit, and the "Corbyn and divisive left" (or whatever it was called) have disappeared now?

Shows how much interest they had in the Albion
Vorwärts die Breithosen !