Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1123434 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #4125 on: March 17, 2019, 09:42:45 AM »
Only one year on his contract though? £16m would seem about right for one year?
Yes I would say so. Someone will be meeting the release clause of £16.5m. If we are still in the Championship I hope Newcastle or someone else meets it early so we can build our own plans.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4126 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
The Everton interest that could impact this transfer between West Brom and Newcastle United

Oh, I hope there’s a bidding war. Tony Cascarino said he was worth £50m earlier in the week

Source: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-interest-could-impact-transfer-16010845.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I realise he has a £16m buyout clause before anyone mentions it, but just wondering and hoping, but would like to keep him
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:36:07 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4127 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
I try not to, but so often I wonder how many he would had scored for us in the Championship this season. Then I saw the run he made, ball control he showed, and goal he scored in 5 minutes vs Argentina and it made me REALLY wonder.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4128 on: March 22, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
I try not to, but so often I wonder how many he would had scored for us in the Championship this season. Then I saw the run he made, ball control he showed, and goal he scored in 5 minutes vs Argentina and it made me REALLY wonder.

He'd have around 30 goals imo. Would have allowed us to go long at times when we had no plan B. Championship defenders are so poor too. Alas as I said when it looked like we'd go down he would not countenance playing at this level as he is too good for it and so it came to pass.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4129 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
The attacking football we have played for most of this season would have been manna from heaven for Rondon, and I think he would have been the difference between top 2 and top 6. Unfortunately we will probably lose him even if we do go up as, even at 30, he represents great value for £16 million, a snip in Premier League terms. Still can't believe the number of people on here who were unable to appreciate what he bought to the team.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4130 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »
Very convenient memories imo. 30 goals? Barn doors and banjos spring to mind 😂

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4131 on: March 23, 2019, 12:45:29 AM »

He'd have around 30 goals imo. Would have allowed us to go long at times when we had no plan B. Championship defenders are so poor too. Alas as I said when it looked like we'd go down he would not countenance playing at this level as he is too good for it and so it came to pass.
IMO he'd  be around 20 max. Would only be as good as the crosses and opportunities provided to him.
Seen him miss way too many open goals to think he is worth more than 16 million.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4132 on: March 23, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
IMO he'd  be around 20 max. Would only be as good as the crosses and opportunities provided to him.
Seen him miss way too many open goals to think he is worth more than 16 million.

I can't recall ever seeing him miss an "open goal", do you have an example of the many times?

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4133 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
30 goals? Barn doors and banjos spring to mind 😂
I think you'll find he meant 30 years of age (actually I think he's still 29 ATM)
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4134 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
30 goals was definitely mentioned. The guy has an amazing work rate and holds the ball up well but he is not a 30 goals a season man and never has been.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4135 on: March 23, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
Rondon shots and goals stats are up on where they were with us. That is the key if you compare his scoring output with an acknowledged world class striker say Aguero he scores roughly half the goals off a bit less than half the shots.

Conclusions Aguero is on an elite team and is getting a lot more shooting opportunities but is converting at a better rate (haven't factored xg in here so quality of shooting opportunity is assumed to be equal). Rondon is on a mid to lower ranking side which is fairly defensive (as opposed to ultra defensive with us) and his output reflects that. Were you to swap the two players my guess that Rondon would outscore Aguero but not by a factor of 2.

Unleahsed on fairly brittle Championship defences in an attack orientated team it is reasonable to assume is he would score a lot but that is kind of academic.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:33:54 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4136 on: March 23, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
I can't recall ever seeing him miss an "open goal", do you have an example of the many times?

I thought I'd give you a small example of some responses to his performance reviews but Tottenham at Wembley springs to mind

« Reply #2379 on: August 31, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »
However, when he has had clear chances, he has not been very prolific or clinical. I reckon his shots to target ratio must be quite low. His link up play along the ground is not that great. He is one player we should be prepared to offload if the right offer came in.

It was something like 8.3%, the lowest in the league.  this has always been my issue with Rondon he is far too wasteful. Take Sunday for example and the chance he had at the end, I know he was stretching for it but it went out for a throw in!

« Reply #2406 on: September 01, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
His one on one chances are abysmal.
I'd always back the keeper

« Reply #2407 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
Quote from: TheBrom on September 01, 2017, 09:39:12 AM
Thing is we keep saying how difficult it is, but the other two strikers have managed to put their limited chances away and get on the scoresheet.

Think this is his problem, his chance conversion rate isn't good enough for a team such as ours that doesn't create 10-15 clear chances each game.

Pretty much how I feel about him. Scored 1 in every 11/12 chances he got last season, didn't even score against weaker sides in pre season, hardly ever puts the ball in the back of the net during warm ups (even when the goal is empty!).

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4137 on: March 23, 2019, 03:36:29 PM »
Personally don't like a striker who isn't chomping at the bit to take a pen.

It shows a lack of desire to increase his goal tally and a laziness of not wanting to train harder on them to improve.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4138 on: March 23, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »
He does not want to play for us , and he has made that very clear.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:48:47 PM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4139 on: March 23, 2019, 06:19:49 PM »
Scored a cracking goal for his country yesterday/today for what I believe is their first ever win over Argentina
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4140 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Handicapped by our lack of attacking midfielders with the injury records of Morrison, Chadli and Phillips.
Often looked as though his finishing for us suffered through being totally knackered from his workload up front. Maybe Newcastle have put an extra couple of percent on his fitness.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4141 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »
He does not want to play for us , and he has made that very clear.
still has contract with this club so unless club agree fee with Albion he's back here first day of pre season    training simples.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4142 on: March 24, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
Head and shoulders above anything in the Championship. I've never had a bad word to say about the guy, we won't be seeing anyone as good as him leading the line for a long time if we fail to go up this season.

Just feel a bit sorry for him that his only chances in England have been in an embarrassing Pulis set up and a defensive Benitez team. Someone will pay the £16m buy out clause in the summer and by some miracle we might have a half-decent manager in place to spend it.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4143 on: March 25, 2019, 09:49:39 AM »
Off the top of my head he missed chances he should be scoring 90% of the time against Derby in the FA Cup, Arsenal, Everton, against Watford he missed a few (completely free header from 6 yards out memorably), missed a 1v1 agains Chelsea.  Even when he scored his hat trick (which definitely plumped up his stats) against Swansea, he'd already missed two clean through, 1 on 1's.

I thought the guy was great, his work rate and holding the ball up some of the best I've seen, there's one thing you can't call him though and that's clinical. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4144 on: March 25, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »
Head and shoulders above anything in the Championship. I've never had a bad word to say about the guy, we won't be seeing anyone as good as him leading the line for a long time if we fail to go up this season.

Just feel a bit sorry for him that his only chances in England have been in an embarrassing Pulis set up and a defensive Benitez team. Someone will pay the £16m buy out clause in the summer and by some miracle we might have a half-decent manager in place to spend it.

I doubt very much the bit in bold will be sanctioned.

Kids and loans is the format for the foreseeable future, barring promotion when I think you'll see a return to journeymen and elder statesmen looking for a last few quid (cheap)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4145 on: March 25, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
The attacking football we have played for most of this season would have been manna from heaven for Rondon, and I think he would have been the difference between top 2 and top 6. Unfortunately we will probably lose him even if we do go up as, even at 30, he represents great value for £16 million, a snip in Premier League terms. Still can't believe the number of people on here who were unable to appreciate what he bought to the team.

Never rated Rondon and always thought he was poor. the goal against argentina he has showed that before for albion but then would have 4 poor games.

£16m for a striker who is in his 4th premier league season and has still never scored double figures is poor really. he should score another 1 in the final 7 games though at newcastle which will be his first season then of double figures.

i remember reading in the summer a lot of fans saying he was never prolific because of the service and the way we play etc but he has still only scored 9 goals in a Newcastle team that play more attacking than we did under Pulis.

he would have been good in the championship and it is a league that suits his attributes more i feel.

anything over £12m is fantastic business really for albion i think.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4146 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »
Didn't he score 10 in his first season?  Or did that include cups?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4147 on: March 25, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »

It included cups he's never got more than 9 league goals for us. He should manage it for Newcastle this season though.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4148 on: March 25, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »

nope, scored 9,8 and 7 league goals in 3 premier league seasons with Albion. scored 1 cup goal first season and 2 cup goals in the final season.

so no, never scored double figures in the league and at the moment has 9 with Newcastle so his goal scoring ability hasn't improved and remains in my eyes, average at best.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4149 on: April 03, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
so Merson wants him at seal park if they get promoted
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties