Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 362193 times)

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #1275 on: December 31, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »

You will give him your full support though wont you ;)
I support West Bromwich Albion, ergo if Tony Pulis is the coach I support Tony Pulis. I will not be hypocritical and suggest that I am looking forward to the spectacle of "football" that we will be served and cannot say I am any more excited about our future than I was under Irvine.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1276 on: December 31, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Of the people available to us he's our best hope but survival is still far from guaranteed, he needs to be backed in January. Our squad does not really fit him as it is. Particularly our complete lack of wingers.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1277 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »
Can't help thinking this could be a dark day for the future of West Bromwich Albion FC. It hasn't done a great deal for bringing back my passion for the beautiful game. Another victory for the greed league.

Welcome to the Hawthorns.

Christ, I bet you'll be drinking tap water for New Year tonight as well.

This has had the opposite effect, I am suddenly looking forward to the rest of this season, with Irvine it was just acceptance of inevitable relegation. Now we might actually fight!

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1278 on: December 31, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
I see this appointment as being almost identical to the Hodgson appointment a few years back. Now, as in 2011, we are hurtling towards the Championship and are desperately in need of someone to steady the ship. Both Hodgson and Pulis are managers who value substance over style and at the moment that is exactly what we need.

In a perfect world we would have a manager to suit a club ethos of attacking-energetic-passing football and players who fit that but we have neither of those. At the moment we have a squad which contains some talented individuals but has no real identity, its pretty much a pick and mix type squad, we have groups of players that all excel in completely different systems.

January is not the time for a complete overhaul of the squad, so right now we need a manager who will get the best out of the squad we do have. I see no better manager in the country, either in or out of work, than Tony Pulis to do this. His appointment is therefore a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:13:51 PM by richjonawba »

baggy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1279 on: December 31, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Possibly the most sensible post I've ever read on here , let's get behind Pulis and start moving forwards again

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: December 31, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »
Christ, I bet you'll be drinking tap water for New Year tonight as well.

This has had the opposite effect, I am suddenly looking forward to the rest of this season, with Irvine it was just acceptance of inevitable relegation. Now we might actually fight!
Problem is, especially with how liked Irivne was, there is a slight chance they wont play for Pulis. so we're relegated anyway, perhaps even worse than we would've been in the first place. We don't know.

whatever, good luck tony!! you got my backing like everyone before you.

(P.S. I'll be drinking water this New Year, as I don't drink! Don't make it an insult like it's a good think to be an alchoholic >:( )

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: December 31, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
I see this appointment as being almost identical to the Hodgson appointment a few years back. Now, as in 2011, we are hurtling towards the Championship and are desperately in need of someone to steady the ship. Both Hodgson and Pulis are managers who value substance over style and at the moment that is exactly what we need.

In a perfect world we would have a manager to suit a club ethos of attacking-energetic-passing football and players who fit that but we have neither of those. At the moment we have a squad which contains some talented individuals but has no real identity, its pretty much a pick and mix type squad, we have groups of players that all excel in completely different systems.

January is not the time for a complete overhaul of the squad, so right now we need a manager who will get the best out of the squad we do have. I see no better manager in the country, either in or out of work, than Tony Pulis to do this. His appointment is therefore a no-brainer.

Couldn't agree more. I'm genuinely excited about the rest of the season again.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1282 on: December 31, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »
I support West Bromwich Albion, ergo if Tony Pulis is the coach I support Tony Pulis. I will not be hypocritical and suggest that I am looking forward to the spectacle of "football" that we will be served and cannot say I am any more excited about our future than I was under Irvine.

Pulis would not be my first choice, however I am definitely more excited about our future than I ever was under Irvine.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1283 on: December 31, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
over reaction alert !!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1284 on: December 31, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
I just hope he is able to get rid of some of the dross in our first team squad and is given the funds to replace them with better quality players. I feel confident he will have demanded this anyway as part of his contract.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1285 on: December 31, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Problem is, especially with how liked Irivne was, there is a slight chance they wont play for Pulis. so we're relegated anyway, perhaps even worse than we would've been in the first place. We don't know.

(P.S. I'll be drinking water this New Year, as I don't drink! Don't make it an insult like it's a good think to be an alchoholic >:( )

Pulis won't stand for anyone not playing for him. There'll be no Pepe Mel syndrome with this guy. He won't care who he upsets.

BaggiesFacts

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1286 on: December 31, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »
I can understand to a degree why some would be worried about Pulis, however he is the best option out there currently.

He would have been my first pick to be honest and I'm pleased JP hasn't wasted any time in picking who he wants and getting a deal sorted. His comments of wanting to 'be better' over the summer are showing in his decisiveness now.

Yes, Irvine was a mistake but we're fixing it.

In terms of the moans and groans regarding Pulis' style of football and that it's not the 'Albion way', you have to realise that we haven't played particularly attractive football for some time now. Pulis will hopefully get us wins and implement effective tactics. His days of utilising Delap and playing hoof ball (which were successful days for Stoke) are long gone.

Welcome, Mr. Pulis.
WBAFC - 1878

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1287 on: December 31, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »

Given his deal is likely to be for 2 and a half years instead of the rolling 12 month deal then those players will be the ones to be shipping out.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: December 31, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

It's all about reputations, what AI needs is a decent PR man & a "coat of paint" he'll be fine.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1289 on: December 31, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

Pulis won't stand for anyone not playing for him. There'll be no Pepe Mel syndrome with this guy. He won't care who he upsets.

exactly, they can all f--- off if they dont want to play. He will spot the ones straight away
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:28:51 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »

exactly, they can all f--- off if they dont want to play. i will spot the ones straight away

It's Just like having a tin of quality street, where you just throw the ones you don't like away.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: December 31, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
It's all about reputations, what AI needs is a decent PR man & a "coat of paint" he'll be fine.
He's still known as a great coach, so will still get opportunities as a no2 even if he's fluffed his chances as a manager.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1292 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
He's still known as a great coach, so will still get opportunities as a no2 even if he's fluffed his chances as a manager.

He'll get chances as a number 1 again, he's a good man. Funny how everbody's blaming the players now he's gone.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1293 on: December 31, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
It's Just like having a tin of quality street, where you just throw the ones you don't like away.
except in this quality street box, throwing some away will affect the flavour of the others. Then when your friends don't like your chocolates, they blame you for it and never want to see you again.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: December 31, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
except in this quality street box, throwing some away will affect the flavour of the others. Then when your friends don't like your chocolates, they blame you for it and never want to see you again.
I was making the point that they're on contracts, it's not as easy as saying just f off.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: December 31, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »
Gillingham have sacked Peter Taylor - perhaps a more suitable opportunity for AI to gain some more managerial credentials! He was obviously out of his depth here! however good a coach he may/may not be!
nb have posted similar in the AI thread
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1296 on: December 31, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
stole this from the Oatcake, hilarious !

First game in charge, team news announcement….

Tone “Dawson and Macauley will start in the middle of defence. Joleon, you’ll slot in at left back.”
Lescott “Left back boss?”
TP “Just think of it as left sided centre half.”
Lescott “But I’m useless at getting forward?”
TP “That won’t be a problem son.”

TP “Morrison and Dorrans, you’ll operate in the cage”
“What the f****g hell is the cage??”
TP “Dave, get The Bible out”

Kemp “What about Berahino, Tone?”
TP “And he is?”
Kempt “Top scorer, gaff. Little nippy lad….”
Tone “Berahino, you’re on the left wing son……Wisdom, you’ll play on the right”
Wisdom “But I’m a defender boss?”
Tone “Your surname is very fitting, son.”

Tone “….and up top we’ll go with Victor Anichebe.”
Brown Ideye “What?! Jesus Christ gaffer, the club spent £10m on me.”
Tone “Can you play as defensive forward?”
Brown Ideye “Is that even a f***ing position?”
Tone “Kempy…….bible……”

Sessegnon “Excuse me, I think you’ve forgotten me Tony?”
Tone “Nahhhh, we’ll definitely get you on the pitch, no bother son……”
Sessegnon “Excellent, cheers for that boss”
Tone “Kempy, make sure this kiddie is todays mascot…..”

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/238511/ssn-pulis-talks-wba#ixzz3NTyKSYSa
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1297 on: December 31, 2014, 01:40:59 PM »
I was making the point that they're on contracts, it's not as easy as saying just f off.

Quite easy, theres the reserve team bus
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1298 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
I was opposed to Irvine from the outset, as he'd never done anything to warrant being given the job, and so it proved. Whilst I'm concerned that we might turn into something that many of us despised when Pulis was at Stoke, he does at least have a track record that suggests he should be able to improve on where we are at present, although he certainly needs to hit the ground running.

Having apparently been given a 2.5 year contract, he also needs to be working with coaching staff of his choosing and have no-one foisted on him. It must be entirely for him to decide who he wants and who he doesn't. We must take this opportunity to go for a new broom and bring in some fresh ideas and finally put an end to the cosy relationship that his existed between the players ans some of the coaches for too long. Any players who aren't up for the new challenge can leave, and good riddance to be honest.

Pulis's first signing - to bring Dave Challinor out of retirement. You heard it here first!  ;D

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1299 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44:58 PM »
Just like people did with Irvine.

Difference is Pulis comes with a successful CV in managing in the Prem

Irvine came with 2 failed CV's from League 1

Pulls could quite easily fail here, but history suggests he won't.

I dont understand how people cannot work that out between the 2 managers
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts