Author Topic: OUT ON LOAN THREAD  (Read 262978 times)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: OUT ON LOAN THREAD
« Reply #725 on: June 23, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »
Callum Morton scored 2 goals against the team with the second best defensive record of the 91 league clubs and was named Man of the Match.
The play off final is 29th of June and if his loan spell ends on the 30th of June can we have him back and play him?
He would be worth a start in our team for his work rate alone

I don't think we could play him as I think we had to register our first team squads with the EFL and he wouldn't have been part of that. I might be wrong though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #726 on: June 23, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »
I don't think we could play him as I think we had to register our first team squads with the EFL and he wouldn't have been part of that. I might be wrong though.

His age will preclude him from any squad list rules, but I also have a hunch there will be a reason he couldn't play.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #727 on: June 23, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
Callum Morton scored 2 goals against the team with the second best defensive record of the 91 league clubs and was named Man of the Match.
The play off final is 29th of June and if his loan spell ends on the 30th of June can we have him back and play him?
He would be worth a start in our team for his work rate alone

I don’t think he will ever play for us.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #728 on: June 23, 2020, 12:42:38 PM »
Oh well that's another one written off then.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #729 on: June 23, 2020, 12:48:22 PM »

May I ask you why please?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #730 on: June 23, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
May I ask you why please?

Because I don’t see a path way into the first team.

He’s 20 and played around ten professional games is it in league two? That’s a small amount of football in a division of poorer quality.

We in due course should become a Premier League team.

For the duration of the time we are there he will not get a chance as we will explore the market and sign someone better.

I think the same applies to Tulloch too.

Their hope is that we get promoted and relegated again as that may be their only chance at an opportunity. Even then, we would want to return at the first hurdle and will not be rushing to place a reliance on the academy.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #731 on: June 23, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »
Because I don’t see a path way into the first team.

He’s 20 and played around ten professional games is it in league two? That’s a small amount of football in a division of poorer quality.

We in due course should become a Premier League team.

For the duration of the time we are there he will not get a chance as we will explore the market and sign someone better.

I think the same applies to Tulloch too.

Their hope is that we get promoted and relegated again as that may be their only chance at an opportunity. Even then, we would want to return at the first hurdle and will not be rushing to place a reliance on the academy.

So according to you Berahino would not have made it out club, but he did.

Morton has a similar career trajectory and if he continues to progress and score goals at every level he is given game  there is no reason for him not getting a chance.

It all depends on how he progresses. But as bera and Ferguson have shown there is a pathway to the first team. It all depends on his development.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #732 on: June 23, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
So according to you Berahino would not have made it out club, but he did.

Morton has a similar career trajectory and if he continues to progress and score goals at every level he is given game  there is no reason for him not getting a chance.

It all depends on how he progresses. But as bera and Ferguson have shown there is a pathway to the first team. It all depends on his development.

Well, you’ve managed to put one case forward then...

Berahino was also fortunate that the opportunity arose with Lukaku leaving and Odemwingie falling out of favour. The lad took the opportunity presented to him.

He may have the ability to forge a good career for himself but my early suspicions is that it will not be with us, especially if we have a prolonged period in the Premier League.

I would add both Sam Field, Jonathan Lego and Rekheem Harper into the same bracket.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #733 on: June 23, 2020, 03:03:49 PM »
Well, you’ve managed to put one case forward then...

Berahino was also fortunate that the opportunity arose with Lukaku leaving and Odemwingie falling out of favour. The lad took the opportunity presented to him.

He may have the ability to forge a good career for himself but my early suspicions is that it will not be with us, especially if we have a prolonged period in the Premier League.

I would add both Sam Field, Jonathan Lego and Rekheem Harper into the same bracket.

His loan at Charlton gives him something to BUILD on  ;D

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #734 on: June 23, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »
On the evidence of last night's match and if he is available I would definitely give Morton a chance in the remaining matches.
No one can accuse Kanu of not trying but that is his main asset and Morton is quicker,seemed as if he could run all night and with the 5 substitute rule a 20 minute run out would do no harm and we might find we have unearthed a promising player.

Willetts99

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #735 on: June 23, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »
On the evidence of last night's match and if he is available I would definitely give Morton a chance in the remaining matches.
No one can accuse Kanu of not trying but that is his main asset and Morton is quicker,seemed as if he could run all night and with the 5 substitute rule a 20 minute run out would do no harm and we might find we have unearthed a promising player.

Don’t know if you watched the game last night but he missed two absolute sitters also, his two goals were tap ins. Admittedly he did put himself about a bit

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
Don’t know if you watched the game last night but he missed two absolute sitters also, his two goals were tap ins. Admittedly he did put himself about a bit

His 2 goals were goals Kanu would not have scored. No doubt in my mind.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #737 on: June 23, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
I would very much doubt any manager would pull him back and get him on the pitch ahead of HRK, Austin , Phillips , my mom and then Zohore
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #738 on: June 30, 2020, 01:53:46 AM »
So, by all accounts, Morton has had a very successful loan at Northampton which culminated in promotion from League 2 and winning the MoTM awards in both the Semi Final 2nd Leg and Final of the play offs in the last few days, including 3 goals over the two matches. The lad has potential for sure, though as we've seen in the past it has to be managed correctly.

Not sure how it works with whether he could actually join back up with our squad to play, these are weird times after all... But if he is coming back to us, then i'd at stick him straight in training with the other strikers at the moment to remind them where the goal is as he's the only "albion" player who's been sticking it in the net as of late. Bit of a mental kick up the a*** from the young upstart might be just the ticket.

For sure he's still raw and has a lot to learn, even today in the final he had one or two other chances he could've taken but he's got good strength and gets himself about in and around the box - something our strikers are lacking right now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:01:28 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #739 on: June 30, 2020, 03:53:48 AM »
We could do worse might encourage him to sign a new deal and the old pros might up their game
O Albion we love you

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #740 on: June 30, 2020, 07:00:24 AM »
I am fairly sure we can't bring him into the squad for the run in. I think clubs had to submit squad lists by the end of last week for the remainder of the season which was why there was a flurry of activity last week around contract extensions.

I am with Liam he won't play for us. This loan spell has secured him a future as a professional footballer but that is not with us. This is the weakness of the loan system. Callum has done as well as he possibly can do but in a team that tactically is light years from us and in a position that the current Head Coach does not use i.e. second striker in a very defensive 3-4-1-2. He has a good goal scoring instinct but the rest of his game is in need of considerable development.

It is not impossible young players can make great strides over short periods but the clock is definitely ticking
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2020, 08:03:36 AM »
In what way does Callum Morton's game need significant development?I am not saying it doesn't but when you are fast.strong.hold the ball well,lay it off well and score goals all we need to know is can he do it at a higher level and this should be tested at the earliest opportunity.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #742 on: June 30, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
I think that we are that desperate for a goalscorer (saviour) we are grasping at the nearest straw.

The transfer market remains the only option for us to acquire a goalscorer or two and even that is no guarantee aka Zohore
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #743 on: June 30, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »
I think that we are that desperate for a goalscorer (saviour) we are grasping at the nearest straw.

The transfer market remains the only option for us to acquire a goalscorer or two and even that is no guarantee aka Zohore
It's like the old question " if you and I are being chased by a lion, running at 30mph, how fast do I need to run to escape?" . Answer "Faster than you!"  :D

Morton doesn't have to be the next Michael Owen, he just needs to be better than what we have which, at present, is not much!

Moot point though as I'm pretty sure he can't play this season.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:12 AM »
Morton does look to have a fair all-round game so I certainly wouldn't rule him out breaking through in a year or two. We were always doubting Chris Wood and he hasn't done too badly elsewhere...Morton also has more pace than Wood it seems.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
I remember a certain Cyrille Regis when he was first thrown in at the deep end, so to speak, raw, uncoached, etc, etc; I seem to remember that he turned out ok! Morton is a striker, he scores goals, sounds just what we need.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
As an under 21, Morton wouldn't have to be included in our submitted squad list, however I really doubt he will come back and even make the bench. It would be such a damning indictment of our current forwards and I don't think Bilic is the kind of manager to upset the strikers we have

He/him

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
Article from a couple of days ago about Callum Morton on the Athletic so thought I'd copy and paste for those who don't have a subscription.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Irrespective of events at Wembley this evening, Callum Morton seems destined for a promotion this summer.

The West Bromwich Albion striker will wrap up a loan spell at Northampton Town with an appearance in the League Two play-off final against Exeter tonight. But regardless of the result, Morton is set for League One or even the Championship next season, such has been his impact since arriving at Sixfields.

Seven goals in 11 appearances for Keith Curle’s side have made Morton one of League Two’s more feared forwards and his brace at Cheltenham last Monday inspired a dramatic fightback as Northampton won the second leg of their semi-final 3-0 for a 3-2 aggregate win.

Now, The Athletic understands, a host of League One clubs have secured an interest in taking him on loan next season and some Championship clubs have also been in touch.

Talks are planned with Albion after tonight’s game about extending Morton’s contract at The Hawthorns, which has a year left to run. The 20-year-old’s priority is to remain in first-team football next season and he would consider extending his deal at Albion or moving on a permanent basis to avoid a return to under-23s football.

First, though, comes tonight’s big game beneath the Wembley arch.

Many Albion fans might have been unaware of Morton until last Monday, when his goals against Cheltenham threw him into the spotlight. Jamie Smith, however, had an inkling three-and-a-half years ago that Morton might have a big future.

The former Wolves and Crystal Palace defender, now assistant manager to Darren Moore at Doncaster, was Albion under-18s boss when his side were drawn to face Yeovil or Merstham in the third round of the 2016-17 FA Youth Cup. He travelled to watch the sides play their second-round tie at Huish Park and was immediately taken by a red-headed centre-forward on the home side.

“When I went back, I said to the lads, ‘This guy is a threat’,” Smith told The Athletic. “I said we needed to be on our guard and not take this lad lightly, but then we played them in the FA Youth Cup and he ripped us up, really.

“I was impressed by his energy, his enthusiasm, his endeavour. He’s a typical old-fashioned centre-forward who likes to run in behind and you just don’t get that anymore.

“Everybody wants to get it to feet, so someone who stretches defenders and runs in behind them is priceless and that’s what Callum gives you. That’s what he did on that night.”

Morton’s spectacular goal helped Yeovil to a shock 3-2 win at The Hawthorns and caught the eye of a watching Tony Pulis. The Welshman, who was then Albion’s first-team boss, was at the FA Youth Cup tie with his coaching staff and, in the coming days, urged the club to do whatever they could to sign Morton before his talents attracted more suitors.

Their pursuit began with a brief trial which confirmed to Pulis what he had seen in the game. “He came up and trained a couple of times with the lads and the big thing that struck us was his effort, his enthusiasm and his determination to improve,” Pulis told The Athletic.

“I was really impressed with a lot of the lads at the Albion at youth level but he brought a different dimension.

“He was raw. He looked as though he was desperately keen to be a professional footballer. He is a throwback to the old days and he has a great attitude.

“His determination and willingness to run just stood out. Technically at the time he wasn’t as good as (Nathan) Ferguson and others who have gone on, but his effort really stood out.

“I had a close working relationship with the people in the academy. I would go out and watch them train and work — and I tried to get the kids involved with the first team as much as I could. I had a good feel for that part of the club. I trusted them and I think they trusted me.

“The other players — the two lads who have gone to Charlton this year (Sam Field and Jonathan Leko) and Nathan Ferguson — they were all technically very good but this kid had so much raw talent in terms of effort and determination.

“He’s a nice kid and it’s always good to see them doing well. I have always thought the kids should go out on loan. They should step up and play football so when they came back they are more manly and understanding of what is needed to be a professional footballer.”

Having been on the receiving end of Morton’s raw ability, Jamie Smith soon found himself charged with harnessing it. Albion signed him in January 2017 and Smith was immediately impressed.

“He’s a really good kid,” says Smith. “The first thing I said to him when he came in is ‘don’t change, do what you do’ — because we had nobody like him in the academy.

“There aren’t many people around who do the things he does — it’s Shane Long-esque. He was a little bit shy when he first came in but he soon got to know the lads and settled in and has thrived.”

By the summer of 2018, Morton found himself on the move again, this time on loan. Hakan Hayrettin, the Braintree Town manager, needed a striker for their National League campaign and Moore, by then Albion’s first-team boss, suggested a move for Morton could help all parties.

Morton played 14 times, scored five goals and made a big impression on Danny Searle, Hayrettin’s assistant who took over as manager midway through the loan spell.

“His work ethic, his attitude around the training ground and everything else was spot on,” says Searle. “His work out of possession is spot-on and he’s committed.

“Sometimes when you get an academy lad coming into a first-team environment, it takes time for them to settle and get used to the physicality of the game. But he hit the ground running.

“He was good in the air, his ability to bring others into play was brilliant and he can finish. He ticked so many boxes for us. I was fortunate to form quite a close relationship with him because he was living in a hotel not far from us so he used to come round and we’d go and get food or whatever.

“He’s just a really nice lad. He just goes about his work quietly. He’s not big on social media and he hasn’t got agents throwing his name all over the place.

“He lets his football do the talking and he’s a prime example that sometimes you should just keep your head down and do your work. He’s reaping the rewards of that now.

“He’s a bit of a hybrid. He’s an old-fashioned No 9 in that you can play the ball into him and he can hold up play and can be a threat in behind. But he’s got a really good technical understanding too and he’s good with his feet.

“He can drop in deeper and he did that quite a bit for us. He’s got a lot of the core attributes of a traditional No 9 but blended with a modern-day forward.”

Morton’s time at Braintree was cut short by an anterior cruciate ligament injury suffered in a game against Chesterfield in March. He was told his recover would take nine months.

“He showed a real desire and determination when he got that injury to get fitter and stronger,” says Smith. “Although it was a big blow, there was a real positive to it which was that he was able to work on his upper-body strength and his physicality.”

By January this year, Morton was back in training and keen to play more football. But his serious injury was so recent, Northampton were one of the few clubs willing to take a chance so soon.

Their decision has paid off handsomely and kick-started Morton’s career. Now, the man who plays in an old-school way is looking forward to a bright future.

“I think there’s a place for players like him,” says Smith. “Shane Long is still doing it and Jamie Vardy is that type, and they add something different to your team — a different dynamic.

“Callum isn’t as quick as Vardy but he’s quick enough. He’s technically good as well. He can link the play, he’s got a good first touch and he’s a decent finisher as well.

“He’s got a great chance of having a really good career. Potentially he could definitely play at the top end of the Championship or even the Premier League if he keeps working hard.”

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »
Thanks for posting that. Interesting to read about the less obvious talents.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
Jacko won't like that he is Shane Longesque !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!