Author Topic: 5 Jan 2019 Albion 1 Wigan Ath 0 (FA Cup 3)  (Read 36511 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: FA Cup 3rd Round - Wigan Athletic (H)
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
Because of an overseas TV deal that runs for the next 6 seasons. 14 ties moved for the 3rd round.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/dec/06/fa-cup-on-tv-third-round-061218
Think of all that cash flooding into grass roots football though. I'm sure Hackney Marshes has submitted it's renovation plans already.
Either that or pay rises for the fat cats.
Wonder which it will be?

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Looks like football has sold its soul again and we'll have to get used to weird FA Cup kick off times for 'overseas television broadcasts' for the next 6 seasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/19/tv-rights-company-pouring-millions-into-english-football-pitch-international-qatar

There can't be any soul left to sell surely?  A mate of mine has got so disillusioned with pro football he gave up his ST and started watching his local non-league club and is loving it.  Thankfully I have yet to reach that point, and can't see it ever happening as I've got blue and white running through my veins, but I get where he is coming from.   

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
The TV changes are so disrespectful to the real supporters and the Championship seems to be worse than the Premier League. I have over an hours travel time to the Hawthorns, longer than that when coming to night games. I didn’t attend the Villa game as I just couldn’t face a Friday evening on the M6. It is likely to be the changes caused by the TV companies that will be the reason for not renewing my ST, maybe next season, even. I have been to my local non-league team in recent weeks and it has much to recommend it; free parking next to the ground, decent cheap beer in the clubhouse and I’m home 15 minutes after the ref blows the final whistle.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
The TV changes are so disrespectful to the real supporters and the Championship seems to be worse than the Premier League. I have over an hours travel time to the Hawthorns, longer than that when coming to night games. I didn’t attend the Villa game as I just couldn’t face a Friday evening on the M6. It is likely to be the changes caused by the TV companies that will be the reason for not renewing my ST, maybe next season, even. I have been to my local non-league team in recent weeks and it has much to recommend it; free parking next to the ground, decent cheap beer in the clubhouse and I’m home 15 minutes after the ref blows the final whistle.

I think because we are a biggish fish in the Championship and at the right end of the table we will be on telly quite a bit, compared to being a small fish at the wrong end of the table or in mid table obscurity so not so attractive in the premier league.

I think it's genuinely sad that fans like yourself are made to feel so disillusioned with what TV has done to football that they give up watching the team they have supported for a long time.
Sadly clubs won't turn down the golden goose of TV money, so I think it will only get worse.

I know it's only a small crumb but at least the Wigan game is on a Saturday afternoon (technically 12.30 is the afternoon)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:51:02 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 04:40:06 PM »
The issue with TV is that it rules your life but I believe changes should be made at the start of the season and then we would all know where we stand. I realise that they want the more 'attractive' sides on television and at present we fall into that category. Sadly though the changes are made with not a great deal of notice so it's difficult to have any sense of normality around the weekend and football fixtures.
We will never return to all games at 3.00pm on Saturday and mid weeks at 7.30 Tuesdays and Wednesdays and will have to put up with that. However the TV companies don't value attendance in grounds and have little consideration for the supporter. Viewing figures are what matters and they can also sell advertising to make even more money.
Yes we are stuck with it so along with some others I am unable to make some games, both home and away. I also can't even get to watch on television. Yes TV gives a good coverage but for the ardent fan it has almost ruined the game at whatever level.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »
I don't know if I'm being particularly dense tonight but I'm struggling to see the option to purchase my season ticket seat for the cup game, any one care to point me in the right direction?
COYB
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »
I don't know if I'm being particularly dense tonight but I'm struggling to see the option to purchase my season ticket seat for the cup game, any one care to point me in the right direction?
COYB

I presume you're doing it online?

Where it has your name and account number (top right of screen), click and select Personal Details.

Top right again it should give you the option to click a link to reserve your cup ticket.

Then just follow the instructions.

I've just done mine, no problems.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 08:29:52 AM »
The issue with TV is that it rules your life but I believe changes should be made at the start of the season and then we would all know where we stand. I realise that they want the more 'attractive' sides on television and at present we fall into that category. Sadly though the changes are made with not a great deal of notice so it's difficult to have any sense of normality around the weekend and football fixtures.
We will never return to all games at 3.00pm on Saturday and mid weeks at 7.30 Tuesdays and Wednesdays and will have to put up with that. However the TV companies don't value attendance in grounds and have little consideration for the supporter. Viewing figures are what matters and they can also sell advertising to make even more money.
Yes we are stuck with it so along with some others I am unable to make some games, both home and away. I also can't even get to watch on television. Yes TV gives a good coverage but for the ardent fan it has almost ruined the game at whatever level.

Totally agree with this and have said many times that the TV games up to January should be arranged in July before the fixtures are released to the public, then the TV games from Jan to May should be released in November. As you say TV companies don't care about fans they want people to watch at home or in pubs.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »

I presume you're doing it online?

Where it has your name and account number (top right of screen), click and select Personal Details.

Top right again it should give you the option to click a link to reserve your cup ticket.

Then just follow the instructions.

I've just done mine, no problems.
Thanks for that got so far and now can't get it to accept my payment so think its a phone call job, I really, really hate using our website it's generally speaking utter rubbish

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
Job done, on the phone, easy peasy  ;D

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

5 Jan 2019 Albion 1 Wigan Ath 0 (FA Cup 3)
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
West Bromwich Albion v Wigan Athletic

FA Cup Round 3

Saturday 5th December 2019 15.00m

Please use this board for all your After Match Debate. Away fans are reminded to abide by the site rules.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

In Game Chat
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »

FA Cup Round 3

Saturday 5th January 2019 15.00pm

Please use this board for all your In Game Chat. Opposition fans are reminded to abide by the site rules.

Please keep this board Albion related, there are boards elsewhere in General Sports to discuss other games

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Pre Match Chat
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

FA Cup Round 3

Please use this board for all your Pre Match Chat. Opposition fans are reminded to abide by the site rules.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »

FA Cup Round 3

PRICES

Allocation:

£10 Adults, £5 60+, Students, U23, U18, Disabled, £1 U11 (£5 on the day)

SALE DATES

Home Season Ticket Holders Online/ In Person/ Phone - Monday December 10
Members Online/ In Person/ Phone - Monday December 10
General Sale - Monday December 10

For upto date ticket info
CLICK HERE

MEMBERS WITH LESS THAN 25 POSTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OFFER TICKETS FOR SALE OR REQUEST TO BUY TICKETS ON WESTBROM.COM.
 ANYONE IGNORING THAT RULING WILL HAVE THEIR POST REMOVED.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
Just checked the stadium plan for this game and given that it's not a league fixture I was expecting hundreds of tickets left in most sections. Not the case. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of tickets still available (have not counted them) but early signs are it'll be a pretty decent crowd.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
Don't forget that STH seats are held until 31/12, I expect there will be more green than red when they get released.

That said, Adults £10 and kids for a quid should entice a few more than you'd expect.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
Don't forget that STH seats are held until 31/12, I expect there will be more green than red when they get released.

That said, Adults £10 and kids for a quid should entice a few more than you'd expect.

That's a good point actually, hadn't thought of that.

OK may be a pooh crowd then lol.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
It’s going to be a small crowd I think. Especially when you take into account it’s a sell out Saturday then the week after the cup game we have a massive game against Norwich at home.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
It’s going to be a small crowd I think. Especially when you take into account it’s a sell out Saturday then the week after the cup game we have a massive game against Norwich at home.

Wigan will probably bring less than what the did the other day.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Chance to progress into 4th round
But after the run of games we will have had going into this one. I would like to see a few changes.

I would rest Gibbs and Phillips as both have a history of muscle injuries. Give Townsend a go and young harper or even field.

If Gayle does have a muscle strain also I imagine he won’t be fit so perhaps a chance for Leko Burke or Edwards to get a game in the wing forward role.

Goal keeper always gets switched for these games also.
O Albion we love you

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2018, 10:58:45 AM »
Isnt this a 12:30 KO?
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
MAGA!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Oh dear. The season ticket holder deadline has passed and we have 13,518 tickets available. How very, very sad the decline of the FA Cup.

I estimate a crowd in the region of 13,000.  :-[

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
Oh dear. The season ticket holder deadline has passed and we have 13,518 tickets available. How very, very sad the decline of the FA Cup.

I estimate a crowd in the region of 13,000.  :-[

It won't be that bad, will be fair walk up contingent IMO
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
Get New Year's Eve and day out of the way and sales will pick up a bit.

I'm expecting a low turn out for this one though, especially as we only played them the other day.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.