Author Topic: Charlie Austin loaned to QPR  (Read 160760 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Charlie Austin
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2020, 11:34:12 PM »
Overall Austin has been nothing like we hoped for apart from the odd flash here and there , that said I'd be starting him in the next game as HRK has lost his form ( he's done the lone role well this season ) and Zohare hasn't done much at all .
You have to ask why we lumped so much in fees and wages on Austin if he doesnt really suit the way Bilic plays.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2020, 11:40:25 PM »
Overall Austin has been nothing like we hoped for apart from the odd flash here and there , that said I'd be starting him in the next game as HRK has lost his form ( he's done the lone role well this season ) and Zohare hasn't done much at all .
You have to ask why we lumped so much in fees and wages on Austin if he doesnt really suit the way Bilic plays.
police should definitely be called to investigate the day light robbery Cardiff and Southampton commited on Albion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
The people that scouted them are to be blame to be fair.

Austin has disappointed a little but can still do a job at this level but Zohore was just a 'no-no and never should have been' signing. Everyone said we should give him a chance, historical evidence and data doesn't lie.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
I don't see any of our forwards getting us over the line it'll be the hopefully increased performance from players who excelled earlier in the season like Diangana and Pereira.
Austin was poor against Blues.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #429 on: June 27, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »
For me Austin probably is the best of a bad bunch. I would be starting him and use Kanu for what he is good for coming of the bench. Austin is our most experienced striker and I think we need to look to that

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
Didn't want him on a permanent deal and clearly he is not fit enough.

Brewster wouldn't have cost millions and we should have got him instead of letting him go to Swansea.

If, big if, we go up we should try and get him on loan.

I would definitely try to offload the current strikers we have (easier said than done).

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #431 on: June 27, 2020, 10:57:08 PM »
I don't see any of our forwards getting us over the line it'll be the hopefully increased performance from players who excelled earlier in the season like Diangana and Pereira.
Austin was poor against Blues.

Austin is just rusty.  He has a nose for a goal, always will have.  Only natural finisher in the club but he won’t score from the bench

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »
Didn't want him on a permanent deal and clearly he is not fit enough.

Brewster wouldn't have cost millions and we should have got him instead of letting him go to Swansea.

If, big if, we go up we should try and get him on loan.

I would definitely try to offload the current strikers we have (easier said than done).

I've had this conversation with friends none of

HRK Austin or Zohore are anywhere near good enough for the premier league but we will need to recruit for other areas aswell as up front should we go up  I can't see us offloading all our strikers and replacing all three oh and Burke has to return aswell.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »
I've seen a lot of shouts lately that the team is begging for Austin to come back in, I think form absolutely proves this season that Robson-Kanu is the best of the three but he has not had a good return from the break. None of them are goalscorers, anymore in Austin's case. I had to have a look at the scoring stats, they are all grateful for a few penalties, including Austin. Almost a penalty at Wigan, he did take that very well. Then you have the magical afternoon at Blues where he really got us out of jail. That is literally his saving grace this season.

HRK has had more game time, deservedly so, as mentioned not for his goal scoring but for his affect on the team. Austin has had enough chances and on the whole has proved very ineffective, a lot of games you really don't notice him and the 60 minute mark comes along and you just think another disappointing performance when he is subbed off. Like the others he just doesn't seem to anticipate much and get in there on the several crosses we produce (sometimes good ones). There have definitely been a few big misses as well this season where you feel his goalscoring prowess would get the right result, I'm sure there was a stat I spotted where it was 11 big chances missed, I can't remember the source.

The above points going against him as well, you really question what he brings to the team, his legs are clearly gone, for Zohore's criticism, he has a better engine and more of a presence when he plays the role. Due to the form of HRK a change is needed and it's pretty much desperation that Austin can come in and produce, but yes I would give him one last go and hope more so the players around him can step up. It would be great for him to rediscover some form and fire us over the line but I do think it's more of a case of mixing it up and just trying something else. 

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #434 on: June 28, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
I've seen a lot of shouts lately that the team is begging for Austin to come back in, I think form absolutely proves this season that Robson-Kanu is the best of the three but he has not had a good return from the break. None of them are goalscorers, anymore in Austin's case. I had to have a look at the scoring stats, they are all grateful for a few penalties, including Austin. Almost a penalty at Wigan, he did take that very well. Then you have the magical afternoon at Blues where he really got us out of jail. That is literally his saving grace this season.

HRK has had more game time, deservedly so, as mentioned not for his goal scoring but for his affect on the team. Austin has had enough chances and on the whole has proved very ineffective, a lot of games you really don't notice him and the 60 minute mark comes along and you just think another disappointing performance when he is subbed off. Like the others he just doesn't seem to anticipate much and get in there on the several crosses we produce (sometimes good ones). There have definitely been a few big misses as well this season where you feel his goalscoring prowess would get the right result, I'm sure there was a stat I spotted where it was 11 big chances missed, I can't remember the source.

The above points going against him as well, you really question what he brings to the team, his legs are clearly gone, for Zohore's criticism, he has a better engine and more of a presence when he plays the role. Due to the form of HRK a change is needed and it's pretty much desperation that Austin can come in and produce, but yes I would give him one last go and hope more so the players around him can step up. It would be great for him to rediscover some form and fire us over the line but I do think it's more of a case of mixing it up and just trying something else. 

Pretty much agree with this. Pre lockdown we were at the stage of Austin being useful in the occasional 20 minute cameo but not as a starter. A three month lay-off won't have improved matters. In short Bilic could not have bought Austin on at half time he hasn't got a half in his legs
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #435 on: June 28, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »
Just think this is utter rubbish (sorry to be so blunt). He's a pro footballer of course he's got enough minutes in his legs, so has Barry, so has Brunt.

Swear some of our lot wouldn't pick James Milner. Age is just a number.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #436 on: June 28, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Robson Kanu: 2121 mins / 23.57 matches / 10 goals / 1 goal every 212 mins
Austin: 1143 mins / 12.70 matches / 8 goals / 1 goal every 143 mins
Zohore: 651 mins / 7.23 matches / 3 goals / 1 goal every 217 mins

The above stats are for league matches only.  Is HRK really the best option, or is it down to the manager's choice (for primarily fitness purposes) that he's chosen over Austin?  HRK's strike rate is comparable to Zohore. 

I've heard people say HRK has performed well this season.  For me he's been average at best.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »

The above stats are for league matches only.  Is HRK really the best option, or is it down to the manager's choice (for primarily fitness purposes) that he's chosen over Austin?  HRK's strike rate is comparable to Zohore. 

I've heard people say HRK has performed well this season.  For me he's been average at best.

Every starting striker at every other championship club this past week is an improvement on Kanu and Zohore.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #438 on: June 28, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »

A good post. Also worth mentioning in the context of some previous comments Austin is younger than Robson-Kanu. (if wikipedia is to be believed)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #439 on: June 28, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
Just think this is utter rubbish (sorry to be so blunt). He's a pro footballer of course he's got enough minutes in his legs, so has Barry, so has Brunt.

Swear some of our lot wouldn't pick James Milner. Age is just a number.

Not sure it's legs with Austin, just don't think he's committed to the cause, CA plays for CA from what I've seen
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #440 on: June 28, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
Not sure it's legs with Austin, just don't think he's committed to the cause, CA plays for CA from what I've seen

Did you see the cup game at Charlton? He was flat out and ran his socks off and never stopped trying. This in a game where i think the entire team was changed. He took that seriously and chased lost causes.

I disagree completely when people say he doesn't try.

If it's for himself it doesn't really matter - if yields results (which it has) and benefits the team (which it has) then I'm all for Austin having more of a chance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #441 on: June 28, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »

Absolute garbage.  The man is frustrated by his own body.  Pace and instinct gone but not the heart.  Shame.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #442 on: June 28, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
Did you see the cup game at Charlton? He was flat out and ran his socks off and never stopped trying. This in a game where i think the entire team was changed. He took that seriously and chased lost causes.

I disagree completely when people say he doesn't try.

If it's for himself it doesn't really matter - if yields results (which it has) and benefits the team (which it has) then I'm all for Austin having more of a chance.

It's all about opinions, just doesn't do it for me.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #443 on: June 28, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »
Absolute garbage.  The man is frustrated by his own body.  Pace and instinct gone but not the heart.  Shame.

Absolutely no need for the insults.

Quite happy for you to have a different opinion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »

Geezer always tried his hardest he's just slow but i've never doubted his effort.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2020, 04:50:54 PM »
Has to be involved on Wednesday. We tried the other 2 central strikers and apart from a short spell 2nd half neither looked good enough. Make the chances and I think Charlie is much more likely to score
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
Amazing how many would play a knackered Charlie Austin, but not Brunt or Barry

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2020, 05:16:48 PM »
Amazing how many would play a knackered Charlie Austin, but not Brunt or Barry
I’m pretty consistent ....I’d rather have non of them anywhere near the squad
But
We need to change something...and pretty quick

Another conundrum would be if Austin played, scored twice in the opening 20 mins and then considerably slowed down due to fitness/stamina ....do you then start him next match (in 3 days)?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #448 on: June 28, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
But

Another conundrum would be if Austin played, scored twice in the opening 20 mins and then considerably slowed down due to fitness/stamina ....do you then start him next match (in 3 days)?
We will worry about that when he gets the 2 goals mate.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #449 on: June 28, 2020, 07:56:29 PM »
But

Yes, but I would take him off after 20 minutes.