Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2535323 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #10625 on: May 26, 2019, 05:22:09 PM »
What could have been eh?

Had potential but never was the finished article... and that’s before all this shenanigans

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10626 on: May 26, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »
I'm sure someone will take him on for no transfer fee and something like 10-20 grand a week? It's probably make or break for him now but if he gets his head screwed on right and gets 100% fit he could still have a decent career and be a shrewd signing for someone. He desperately needs to accept some guidance from someone responsible and accept that he's on the verge of throwing away a good career and becoming a complete failure. Maybe with the loss of this lucrative contract which may have acted as a comfort blanket for future earnings etc, he'll get the shock that he needs.

We're looking for strikers aren't we?  :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:29:43 PM by Barrington »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10627 on: May 26, 2019, 06:25:43 PM »
I don't think it as easy as Stoke think this is to just sack him.

If there is anyone in stoke's history who has had drink drive conviction and not lost their job, there is his defence to get this overturned.

He will also have the support of the pfa.

If he gets sacked it is bad news for us too as he is on a reported £70k a week which will be freed on Stoke to spend elsewhere.

We want that millstone to be around their neck for the whole duration of the 5.5 year contract.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10628 on: May 26, 2019, 07:52:29 PM »
I don't think it as easy as Stoke think this is to just sack him.

If there is anyone in stoke's history who has had drink drive conviction and not lost their job, there is his defence to get this overturned.

He will also have the support of the pfa.

If he gets sacked it is bad news for us too as he is on a reported £70k a week which will be freed on Stoke to spend elsewhere.

We want that millstone to be around their neck for the whole duration of the 5.5 year contract.
Bloody hell , greedy or what?. They took him off our hands and paid us handsomely. To hell with Stoke and Berahino
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10629 on: May 26, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
Bloody hell , greedy or what?. They took him off our hands and paid us handsomely. To hell with Stoke and Berahino

No its spot on, ****'em!.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10630 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:34 PM »

So do you feel sorry for Stoke or is it to hell with them?

Your post is tad ambiguous.

If wanting us to do better than them is greedy, then I am a modern day bacchus.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:35:22 PM by BalisPen »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10631 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »
Remember when Clarke put faith in him and he scored v Man U when we won there?! Seems a long, long time ago now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10632 on: May 26, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »
Remember when Clarke put faith in him and he scored v Man U when we won there?! Seems a long, long time ago now.

That's because it was a long time ago, it was September 28th 2013. Including Steve Clarke we've had six full time managers since that day. Clarke, Irvine, Mel, Pulis, Pardew and Moore. Throw Downing, Kelly, Megson, Moore again and Shan into the mix and we have some indication of the turmoil we've been in as a club during that time. That's a shocking level of managerial turnover in my opinion. If a week is a long time in politics as suggested by Harold Wilson, then just over five and a half years is an absolute eternity in the world of football and the recent history of West Bromwich Albion in particular.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10633 on: May 26, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »
But it was a great day out sat in the home end 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10634 on: May 27, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
That's because it was a long time ago, it was September 28th 2013. Including Steve Clarke we've had six full time managers since that day. Clarke, Irvine, Mel, Pulis, Pardew and Moore. Throw Downing, Kelly, Megson, Moore again and Shan into the mix and we have some indication of the turmoil we've been in as a club during that time. That's a shocking level of managerial turnover in my opinion. If a week is a long time in politics as suggested by Harold Wilson, then just over five and a half years is an absolute eternity in the world of football and the recent history of West Bromwich Albion in particular.

I suppose you're right, when i think about the changes in my own life too, met a girl, got married, dreamed about Australia, went to Australia, confirmed our liking of it, began a visa process and finally got invited! Yeah, it was a long time ago!

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10635 on: May 27, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
But it was a great day out sat in the home end 😀
Great day as well as Berahino's goal highlight for me was Amalfitano putting De Gea on his backside when scoring that wonderful solo goal.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10636 on: May 27, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
What could have been eh?

One of the few players in recent times to make you stand up when he got the ball. What an absolute waste....

Personally I blame his agent when he told Saido he was good and the spuds wanted him. A real 'heads gone'
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10637 on: May 27, 2019, 10:25:43 AM »
The problem with gross misconduct clauses and footballer's contracts is that football has it's own unique employment arrangements which are shaped by the economic interest the employers have in the player's contract.

So for instance taking the cab four as an example, if a "normal" employee was attending a conference in Barcalona and got themselves arrested for stealing a cab then I am pretty sure that they would be fired. We did not fire the cab four, we fined them (an option that most employers don't have nor should they) but having fined them we have set ourselves a precedent for that type of behaviour. Short of a player breaking the law and being subject custodial sentence it is hard to see how the Albion could ever sack a player.

I suspect Stoke are in a similar position. The list of dismissible offences for footballers are virtually non existent. I think my learned friends will have a field day with this unless Stoke are greasing the wheels. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10638 on: May 27, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
whether they get away with it or not remains to be seen but what a waste, another  young player with great potential who thought he had made the big time and now watching his career going down the pan, whoever has been advising him obviously had no real influence over him., he will find it a long road back, if he gets back at all

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #10639 on: May 27, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
Apparently he is going to appeal so likely scenario is he will negotiate a pay off with the club and leave with a few quid from them and a nice signing on fee from his new club.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10640 on: May 27, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
The problem with gross misconduct clauses and footballer's contracts is that football has it's own unique employment arrangements which are shaped by the economic interest the employers have in the player's contract.

So for instance taking the cab four as an example, if a "normal" employee was attending a conference in Barcalona and got themselves arrested for stealing a cab then I am pretty sure that they would be fired. We did not fire the cab four, we fined them (an option that most employers don't have nor should they) but having fined them we have set ourselves a precedent for that type of behaviour. Short of a player breaking the law and being subject custodial sentence it is hard to see how the Albion could ever sack a player.

I suspect Stoke are in a similar position. The list of dismissible offences for footballers are virtually non existent. I think my learned friends will have a field day with this unless Stoke are greasing the wheels.

Did we not sack/terminate Anelka's contract? is there a significant difference between sacking and terminating a players contract? Genuine question
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10641 on: May 27, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
He can kiss goodbye to pay days in the US and Australia given his criminal record. Surely a British club would know better?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10642 on: May 28, 2019, 06:53:42 AM »
Did we not sack/terminate Anelka's contract? is there a significant difference between sacking and terminating a players contract? Genuine question

Yes a Gross Misconduct dismissal terminates the contract with immeadiate effect and no notice or any other compensation is due. Terminating the contract implies at the very minimum the club would have paid notice or the contract in full if there was no notice period stipulated. If I remember rightly the club had to wait for a fairly lenghty FA investigation to be completed at the end of which Anelka got a ban and then quit. We then fired him but with notice.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10643 on: May 28, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
He'll get a club and he's still young enough to recover to become a footballer. Problem is, he's never really been a proper footballer yet and aside from half a season with us, looks a poor player.

If I were him, I'd go to league one and try to score a hatful for someone. Don't think he's got it in him anymore though?

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10644 on: May 28, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »
Most employers would sack you over this yes. But outside of team sports, there is no industry which pays very large sums of money to gain an employee from another company, especially on a year to year basis. The value of an employee at a football club is that they are one of 30 odd players that have a direct impact on company performance and by sacking that player you are effectively zero'ing the value of an asset worth millions. It puts the club in a very difficult position when it comes to gross misconduct

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10645 on: July 06, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
Birmingham City are ready to offer Stoke City's 25-year-old Burundi striker Saido Berahino a trial.

A trial? I thought he one of those the other week

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9446467/birmingham-saido-berahino-career-lifeline-axed-stoke-striker-trial-transfer/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10646 on: July 06, 2019, 11:05:17 AM »
I'd be amazed if they went anywhere near him given his trials and tribulations locally. I'd be equally amazed if they could afford him given their financial woes, this despite his choices being narrower by the day. I'd be even more amazed if his ego allowed him to go on trial. I'd be absolutely astounded if he did enough to impress them in the first place. There's still a decent player in there, but with every passing day it sinks further and further into the recesses of Saido's mind which unfortunately for him appears to reside up his backside. All of this and I didn't even bother to click on the link to read about his latest 'trial'  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10647 on: July 06, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Just clicked back to page 1 of this thread, unbelievable how far he has fallen, and most of it his own doing
What could have been.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10648 on: July 06, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »
He took the fame and adulation before he was famous. It's easy to criticise but how many kids from poor backgrounds would relish the chance he had?

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10649 on: July 06, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »
The Ego has landed! Right on his fat backside. He is now in the last chance saloon. Can he take this opportunity to save his career?