Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767082 times)

Silva

• Junior Baggie

Ben Foster
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
West Brom are ready to rival Tottenham in the battle for Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster - Daily Mirror

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-West-Brom-to-battle-Tottenham-for-Birmingham-keeper-Ben-Foster-article740432.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:14:32 PM by Political Cake »

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
Certainly wouldn't surprise me if we asked about him but I would be extremely surprised if he didn't get a move to somewhere like Spurs to be honest.

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
Yeah, I'd expect us to enquire about him but we would never pay the money Birmingham want which is why he will probably go to someone like spurs.
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
He will go to Villa...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »
If he goes to Villa that will be a proper slap to the blue noses, thus, i will laugh.

As said above, i'd expect us to ask, but we won't get near to him i don't think. That being said, i'd love him to sign. Properly top level keeper.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Jamesa2407

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
I personally think we will have a sniff.. but he will go to tottenham.. they seem to having a lot of the top relegated players dont you think? but yeah 8m tottenham.
"We Are West Bromwich Albion
West Bromwich Albion FC"

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Very good keeper in my opinion,but the world his is oyster.be a great coup but i can't see it happening.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
I personally think we will have a sniff.. but he will go to tottenham.. they seem to having a lot of the top relegated players dont you think? but yeah 8m tottenham.

The only advantage to us is that he wouldn't have to move house (assuming he lives in the midlands).

I can't see us paying the money blues would want for him.

Let's be honest, we are in a similar position to blues were last year in the fact we've had a good season and going into our second season.  Why would he want to do that again.

I think Spurs is a good shout.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
The only advantage to us is that he wouldn't have to move house (assuming he lives in the midlands).

He's from Leamington Spa so I'd guess he does live in the Midlands, perhaps somewhere in Warwickshire.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »
Definitely worth an enquiry. He has been very impressive this season.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

jjb0rdell0

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
You gotta speculate to accumulate  ;)

Ben Foster must be worth at least a bit of speculation :-P

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
I wouldn't want him. Makes far too many mistakes, his kicking is poor and we don't need a great shot stopper.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
I think his Spurs bound personally. 

If its between us and them its a no brainer unfortunatly.  His earning £31k a week at Blues and Spurs will be able to offer a hefty increase on that, while I imagine £31k will be around our upper limit.  Plus the lure of playing for a top 5 side located in London...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:43:01 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

DommyKeay19

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
I think it would be very disloyal on Foster's part moving to a local rival so i don't think he'd join us, he's still young so has plenty of years to get back to the prem, it would be pretty much a sidewards move for him. Perhaps a cheeky 5 mil bid and give 'em Myhill to test the waters but nah no chance.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »
I wouldn't want him. Makes far too many mistakes, his kicking is poor and we don't need a great shot stopper.

Agreed, I don't rate him. Seems to be error prone.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
Agreed, I don't rate him. Seems to be error prone.
We already have one of them !

He should be careful about Spurs though, this season is a flash in the proverbial pan. Same old teams for the Champions league at the end of next season, Man Utd, backside and all, Chelski and either Man Citeh or the Scouse :(
He's a lad from the Wrenna

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
He's no more error prone than the majority of goalkeepers in the Premier League, only the likes of van der sar don't seem to make many. Goalkeepers all make errors and they are highlighted because they almost always lead to goals being conceded, Foster has at least proven that he can bounce back from his errors immediately.

I would be more concerned about his past injury record than error rate personally.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »

I agree that he is very overrated as people for some reason seem to forget the amount of mistakes he actually makes. However i do think he would be worth a sniff, would make for great competition for the number 1 next season with him and scotty
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
He's no more error prone than the majority of goalkeepers in the Premier League, only the likes of van der sar don't seem to make many. Goalkeepers all make errors and they are highlighted because they almost always lead to goals being conceded, Foster has at least proven that he can bounce back from his errors immediately.

I would be more concerned about his past injury record than error rate personally.

He made three mistakes against us alone this season

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
He made three mistakes against us alone this season

How many other games did you see him play?

Every time I saw him he made some fantastic saves and kept Birmingham in numerous games, how many games can we say Carson kept us in as it wouldn't be half as many.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
I thought there were big questions over his mentality in all honesty. Man U dropped him to third choice behind PIG in his time there due to the mistakes he's made. I think the fact he was behind a VERY defensive Blues team helped a lot as well.

That's not to say he's not a good keeper because he is, but for the money he'd surely cost I'd have concerns. I think you'd be looking at a minimum of 8m, which considering I believe the aforementioned PIG is available (who was more highly rated it seems by Ferguson anyway) doesn't seem great value.

My point is that we can't have our expectations too high, if the likes of him and the PIG were that good they would have made a career at Old Trafford and not sat on the bench for most of their games yet bigger clubs like Villa and Spurs are rumoured to have an interest in them. Your point about value is spot on although we did shell out over £3m for Carson if my memory serves me well.

I would rather have Foster than the PIG lets put it that way, at least Foster has had a season of first team football since leaving United while Kuszczak has arguably gone backwards in his time there missing out on so much time he could have been developing as a player.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
I see Foster as a keeper who runs around his goal abit too make himself look better. For instance, the Wolves game at St Andrews a few weeks ago, no need to come running out that far and take down the man. Although he is a decent shot stopper, I don't see much between either of him or Scott Carson. If anything I'd prefer Scott Carson as the latter has a much better kicking. For all the hype which surrounds Foster, I don't think he is brilliant. Probably been behind a very stable Johnson and Dann has helped him alot. When the Blues defence fell apart in recent weeks with the likes of Martin Jiranek featuring we saw a few cracks appear in Foster's game.

As for the fee, I'm sure Blues are asking for a hefty fee, something which we're not looking to give, especially as we have two goalkeepers on our books with one being quite similar to Ben Foster.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
As for the fee, I'm sure Blues are asking for a hefty fee, something which we're not looking to give, especially as we have two goalkeepers on our books with one being quite similar to Ben Foster.

You are spot on with the fee but in all honesty if one of our goalkeepers is similar to Foster then the other one is too, not much to pick between the two we already have except much better controlled distribution from Carson.

I certainly agree that Foster is nothing special and I wouldn't want to waste big money on him but I doubt we will get much better unless it is someone most of will never have heard of from abroad.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
You are spot on with the fee but in all honesty if one of our goalkeepers is similar to Foster then the other one is too, not much to pick between the two we already have except much better controlled distribution from Carson.

I certainly agree that Foster is nothing special and I wouldn't want to waste big money on him but I doubt we will get much better unless it is someone most of will never have heard of from abroad.

I think you're rights on both parts in honesty. Although, it's a shame we haven't saw much of Boaz Myhill but it's obvious to see both Roberto Di Matteo and Roy Hodgson prefer Scott Carson. I guess that comes down to experience because I'm sure with regards to ability they're both on the same levels.

Your second point is where I expect most of our signings might come from with the odd bosman from here i.e. McAuley. If we were to splash big money on Ben Foster (which I highly doubt) then Scott Carson or Boaz Myhill better start packing the bags because spending £5million plus on Foster certainly suggests he'd be a starter and not willing to play on the bench. I'd be rather annoyed if we did pay £5million and Foster did sit on the bench because that money could of been invested somewhere else in the squad.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Ben Foster is as class goalkeeper, I'm not sure who some of our fans expect us to get  :-\