Author Topic: Pepe Mel's Substitutions  (Read 3851 times)

Andio

• Youth Baggie

Pepe Mel's Substitutions
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:55:36 AM »
Very interesting blog here to do with substitutions which I thought I'd share here. 

http://eplindex.com/49783/manager-impact-index-return.html

Building on the detail in this blog I've taken the results for impact subs for each manager and divided them by the number of games that they've been in charge this season, with some very interesting results...

ISPG = Impact subs per game (goals or assists)

1. Mel (0.6 ISPG)
2. Pellegrini (0.54 ISPG)
3. Mourinho (0.38 ISPG)
4. Martinez (0.36 ISPG)
5. Wenger (0.35 ISPG)
6. Allardyce (0.35 ISPG)
7. Solskjaer (0.33 ISPG)
8. Sherwood (0.3 ISPG)
9. Pochettino (0.27 ISPG)
10. Pardew (0.27 ISPG)
11. Poyet (0.25 ISPG)
12. Moyes (0.23 ISPG)
13. Hughes (0.19 ISPG)
14. Rodgers (0.15 ISPG)
15. Bruce (0.15 ISPG)
16. Pulis (0.08 ISPG)
17. Meulensteen (0.08 ISPG)
18. Lambert (0.04 ISPG)
19. Hughton (0 ISPG)

Pepe Mel is leading the way since his appointment at West Brom. The averages of Allardyce and Solskjaer are good enough to get them in the top 10 too despite fighting in the relegation battle, which could make all the difference at the end of the season.

Moyes and Rodgers are both struggling to make an impact from the bench as they play all their best players from the start when they're fit. Hughton and Norwich are right at the bottom as not a single sub has scored or created a goal this season.

desertbaggie

• WBA Newbie

Re: Pepe Mel's Substitutions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:31:58 AM »
This just proves how useless stats can be.

I seem to remember lambert making a few subs that made a huge impact against us - even if we would like to forget about them.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
This just proves how useless stats can be.

I seem to remember lambert making a few subs that made a huge impact against us - even if we would like to forget about them.

Not really, I'd say the opposite, in that Lambert got lucky he had three of their best players coming back from injury & threw them on in desperation, it worked for him in that game but as per the OP he hasn't made impact subs on a consistent basis (pro rata), so Andio's point is valid.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Matty

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
I've been really happy with Mel's use of subs since he came in. It's such a refreshing change to see a coach have the balls to admit he got it wrong, and make changes early on. So many coaches/managers fell this stupid need to keep the starting XI out there for 60-70 minutes, why? If it's not working, or you feel one of the lads on the bench can have an affect, change it. It's a squad game nowadays, use it!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »
All very well and good if we go down but Pepe is definitely the man
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
He certainly has made some astute changes. I would however, expect this figure to even out a bit as the season goes on due to the fact that his starting 11 was influenced somewhat by Downing IMO. But he could've bought the wrong men on so fair play to PM!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
I think this stat has more to do with us starting games badly and improving by the end of it.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
So if we make three subs after 2 mins we should be ok? :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
I think this stat has more to do with us starting games badly and improving by the end of it.

Yeah, due to the subs made by Pepe...  ;D

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Yeah, due to the subs made by Pepe...  ;D
Id say its his half time talk that does it as we are a much better team when we come out for the second half

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
Pointless thread to cover up the lack of impact on results since the appointment of Mel.
There is only one team with worse form over the last six games in the Prem than us Fulham!

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Pointless thread to cover up the lack of impact on results since the appointment of Mel.
There is only one team with worse form over the last six games in the Prem than us Fulham!

He has had more impact so far than the entire reign of Steve Clarke. Get over the sacking of Steve Clarke.He should never have got the job in the first place and it was a mistake to appoint him,a cheap option and a mistake that might cost us
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
I think Pepe Mel's approach is far more pragmatic. His substitutions have shown so. I think under Clarke there had been times when we could have killed off games but then due to tactics and terrible substitutions we've allowed teams to get back into the games and letting points slip.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:17:32 AM »
I think Pepe Mel's approach is far more pragmatic. His substitutions have shown so. I think under Clarke there had been times when we could have killed off games but then due to tactics and terrible substitutions we've allowed teams to get back into the games and letting points slip.

Not to mention the fact that he didn't make subs until it was too late in games where we were chasing!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 06:59:23 AM »
Current form, drawn against 3 teams in the top six and lost to two in the bottom 10 (and Southampton)

Funny old game.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.