Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1123412 times)

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #3350 on: June 07, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »
Sorry mate but it's not a "fact" that Spurs and Chelsea want him it's just a report from The Daily Mirror that has been picked up by other media outlets and repeated.

Batshuayi went on loan to Borussia Dortmund in January after scoring 12 goals for Chelsea in all competitions including 2 for the academy. They then got Giroud in. Morata spent time on the bench as Chelsea often played without a proper central striker, using Eden Hazard in the false number 9 role. I can't see Rondon fitting in at all, his hold up play isn't good enough for the very top level.

Personally I have changed my opinion of Rondon (I was very critical of him due to his lack off goals) and do appreciate what he does for us. I hope he stays as I think he would be very good for us in the Championship, I just can't imagine that either Spurs or Chelsea really have any interest in him.
I did actually state “reportedly”, as for his hold up play not being great, before he came here it never had to be, despite his size he was never particularly a target man, he was used to balls at his feet and infront to run on to, Pulis tried to convert him, played to his strengths he’ll be a different player.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3351 on: June 08, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »
I have to wonder about the mental well-being of some of our supporters on here. Rondon is a far superior player to Vydra and Gayle. If you can't see that, then there is no hope for you.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3352 on: June 08, 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
Rondon is technically awful and doesn't score any goals:

Season         Appearances / Subs              Goals
2016/2017               38(6)                            8
2017/2018               36(4)                            7

His main strengths are his heading and his ability to dive to win cheap free kicks. Happy to get £16m for him and move on.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3353 on: June 08, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »

His main strengths are his heading and his ability to dive to win cheap free kicks. Happy to get £16m for him and move on.
I’d suggest watching him before he came here and was ruined by Pulis, we have never played to his strengths, when we have played balls into him to run on to he’s done well, youve only got to look at the goal against Leicester the other year to see that. As you say his heading is an asset so how is he meant to use it with his back to goal 25 yards out having balls lumped at him, given good service he scored goals, see palace and Swansea. Have a look at his stats prior to joining us.
33 league goals in 73 games for zenit, 25 goals in 67 in La Liga, plus 15 goals in 30 games in European competitions. Pulis saw his size and thought he could make him a target Man and totally misused him, we have a history of signing strikers and not playing to their strengths, earnshaw and cox are two that spring to mind.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3354 on: June 08, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
I have to wonder about the mental well-being of some of our supporters on here. Rondon is a far superior player to Vydra and Gayle. If you can't see that, then there is no hope for you.
When he goes to a club that uses his strengths he will get goals - Pity we didn’t have a manager that did that
What some do not see is how tough he is to play against - and at the top level - in a team that were not interested in attacking very much - he was a handful yet was so isolated his energy would often be spent battling - when we ever did make a chance for him he would be so tired no wonder he didn’t finish very well.
I for one hope he stays but wish him all the best at a better managed club.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3355 on: June 09, 2018, 11:01:36 AM »
If we could get him to stay, he would mash up the champ, I'm sure.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3356 on: June 09, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Before Rondon came to us, he averaged between 1 goal in 2 or three games in Russia and La Liga. Since he joined us, he has averaged closer to 1 in 4.5 games.

Is it tactics? Strength of the league? Confidence? I don't know. But he has been more prolific in his career than he has been with us.

I've resigned myself to losing him, but he would be a very good player to keep hold of if we could.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3357 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »

I would point out that for all his years in the PL, Pulis’ teams only had a striker make double digits twice... it’s not a new phenomenon.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3358 on: June 09, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
That would hold true about Pulis but he was the same under Pardew.  And even then it wouldn't be so bad but Rondon is guilty of missing very very good chances. You can't dress those chances up as being style of play, manager, etc. 

As to playing to his strengths, what are they? It's not finishing, it's more holding the ball up, using his strength, his aerial ability, all things I'd say we played to.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep him but we have to accept his finishing is pretty poor but I still think he'd score a decent amount in the champ.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3359 on: June 09, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
Before Rondon came to us, he averaged between 1 goal in 2 or three games in Russia and La Liga. Since he joined us, he has averaged closer to 1 in 4.5 games.

Is it tactics? Strength of the league? Confidence? I don't know. But he has been more prolific in his career than he has been with us.
The same was true for Brown Ideye too. I think it's fair to say that, unless they're 9'8" and great in the air, having Pulis as your manager doesn't do much for a striker.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3360 on: June 09, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
I don't think you can compare the scoring rates of a player playing for a top Russian side and again for a team that's lower to mid table Prem.  Or put it this way, a 1 in 2 striker in the Prem will be one of the top strikers in the world.

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3361 on: June 09, 2018, 03:40:41 PM »
I don't think you can compare the scoring rates of a player playing for a top Russian side and again for a team that's lower to mid table Prem.  Or put it this way, a 1 in 2 striker in the Prem will be one of the top strikers in the world.

Correct. 19 goals a season will get him moved to a top 6 team.
Keep St.George in my heart.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3362 on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
16million clause in his contract. How about saying to Newcastle then 10mill plus Dwight Gayle proven scorer in the Championship o

we8seals

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3363 on: June 13, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »

Could not agree more. The Rondon haters on here will no doubt be out in force telling us all how terrible he is. We should get used to the idea that we are not going to be spending £30 million on a striker - even if one would come to us! And Rondon is what he is - a £15 mil striker and they are all a punt. Not many suddenly score 25 goals a season even in the championship - ask the Vile they have three of them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3364 on: June 13, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »
Could not agree more. The Rondon haters on here will no doubt be out in force telling us all how terrible he is. We should get used to the idea that we are not going to be spending £30 million on a striker - even if one would come to us! And Rondon is what he is - a £15 mil striker and they are all a punt. Not many suddenly score 25 goals a season even in the championship - ask the Vile they have three of them.

Was a good post until about half way through, because Rondon IS a £30 million striker, he's just got a silly low release clause which I guess we had to agree to to stand any chance of signing him in the first place.

Put it this way, when he's gone you won't see another as good as him for a good few years.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3365 on: June 13, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
.   Not disputing Rondons ability but reality check He's going so we need to get the best deal and Gayle would suite the cause

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3366 on: June 13, 2018, 08:41:08 PM »
I wouldn’t been keen on us signing Gayle, I would much rather we went after the Peterborough striker Jack Marriott.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3367 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
All I would say is that if he didn't have a £16.5m release how much would we be asking for him? One things for sure we wouldn't be selling him for that kind of stupidly low figure.
Gera, Gera, Gera

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3368 on: June 13, 2018, 10:13:47 PM »
All I would say is that if he didn't have a £16.5m release how much would we be asking for him? One things for sure we wouldn't be selling him for that kind of stupidly low figure.

About 10 million. Bloke can’t hit a barn door and the goals are the same size in the championship

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3369 on: June 13, 2018, 11:13:57 PM »
About 10 million. Bloke can’t hit a barn door and the goals are the same size in the championship
He still got the goal of the season for us.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3370 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »
goals are the same size in Spain, Russia and Europe too where he averages a goal every 2.3 games in league and European competition.
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
The Quiet Waters By.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3371 on: June 14, 2018, 02:59:39 AM »

That would be why we rejected £32m from Tianjin Quanjian in 2017 then...

Beggars belief on here sometimes  ???

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3372 on: June 14, 2018, 07:27:28 AM »

stock prices go up & down but he'd need no legs do have devalued by £22m.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3373 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »

A quick reminder , this is a forum and other members are entitled to their view just as much as you are.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3374 on: June 14, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
A quick reminder , this is a forum and other members are entitled to their view just as much as you are.

Obviously, but stating the club would be asking for £10m when they rejected £32m isn't an opinion.