Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772393 times)

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
If he doesn't go to us I think he'll stay at Birmingham, most PL teams are sorted for keepers now.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
It is true. Why let Carson go for just over a million and then buy Foster for £6m.
Foster is no way 6 times the goalkeeper that Carson is. They're about the same IMO - good shot stoppers but susceptible everywhere else.

Re-sale value.
I think it speaks volumes of how low Carsons stock must have dropped when we sold him for £1.5m to a Turkish Club, I'm not sure why a British Club didn't offer more money for him.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Northfield-Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
Albion set to unveil Foster and Gera

Albion are set to unveil the signings of fans’ favourite Zoltan Gera and England international Ben Foster at a press conference later this afternoon.

Former midfielder Gera signs on a Bosman transfer following his release from Fulham with Foster believed to have signed in the region of £6 million.

The capture of Foster will break the club’s record transfer fee – and also explains the decision to pull out of the David Vaughan deal.

Baggies boss Roy Hodgson has been after a new goalkeeper since last season’s first-choice Scott Carson was sold for £1.5 million to Turkish outfit Bursaspor.

Foster, a former Stoke and Manchester United goalkeeper, stared for Birmingham City last season – despite their relegation – and helped the Blues win their first major trophy, winning the man of the match award in the process.

Gera ends a three-year exile from The Hawthorns after he decided to leave the club and join Fulham on a free transfer. During his first spell at the club, he made 117 appearances in all competitions, plus 38 from the subs bench, scoring 25 times.

Both players will now travel with the rest of the squad to Albion’s tour of America.

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/albion_set_to_unveil_foster_and_gera_685536/index.shtml

Hayward1984

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »
Doubt the accuracy of that personally.
"Time to show how big our balls are." - Paul Schnarer 14th Janurary.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Doubt the accuracy of that personally.

I think its name sums it up, WBA & Mad.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
They're just adding 2 and 2 and getting -697583727 from the CL tweet earlier. That and generating hits for their website, seemingly successfully.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
Discussed on the previous page, it is a ridiculous piece put together by someone who has made a couple of massive assumptions based on very little information. 

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
I cant see him coming to us anyway, one i dont think we would pay the fee Blues want for him and 2, he earns big wages.

I am still convinced we will Sign Rob Green.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
How ridiculous is that! Tom Ross has confirmed its a press conference for Mcauley and Jones.

DudleyDan

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
I can't agree with that  :o Football transfer fees do not work like that and Foster was Blues' player of the season and fan's goal keeper of the season over Joe Hart. Foster saved Blues a disgusting number of points last season!

He was still a goalkeeper of a relegated team so he can't be all that great especially playing behind the "great" Roger Johnson and Scott Dann...

In the two games we played against them (and scoring 6 goals) I can't remember him making a save of any note.

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »
The capture of Foster will break the club’s record transfer fee – and also explains the decision to pull out of the David Vaughan deal.

what a load of rubbish!! even if this article was for real, how would the signing of a goalkeeper infulence the signing of a midfielder!!
When you're sitting on the top, its hard to hear you from way up here.

Mossi28

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »
He was still a goalkeeper of a relegated team so he can't be all that great especially playing behind the "great" Roger Johnson and Scott Dann...

In the two games we played against them (and scoring 6 goals) I can't remember him making a save of any note.
I don't believe that blues got relegated last season because of their defence I think the reason that they actually went down was the lack of goals and Mcleish playing 4-5-1 with Jerome up front every week

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »

what a load of rubbish!! even if this article was for real, how would the signing of a goalkeeper infulence the signing of a midfielder!!

because we did to use the funds for Vaughan to pay the extra needed for a good keeper and striker

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

The money that we would have used on him gets put towards a deal for Foster instead, that part is believable but the majority of it is pure tripe.

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
because we did to use the funds for Vaughan to pay the extra needed for a good keeper and striker

i dont buy that sorry, we pulled out of the vaughn deal to save face.
if we knew we were needing a GK / Striker why even look at vaughn in the first place??
vaughn was costing us nothing other than a signing on fee and wages

Northfield-Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
Truth is, noone knows what money has been put where for signings. We will just have to wait and see  :P

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »
The money that we would have used on him gets put towards a deal for Foster instead, that part is believable but the majority of it is pure tripe.

we were still in for vaughan when we offered 3m and 40k a week for shay given!!
we were willing to offer 4m for boeteng
the vaughan thing is nothing to do with any potential transfer for foster, the money is there

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2011, 01:23:33 PM »
the vaughan thing is nothing to do with any potential transfer for foster, the money is there
the point is Foster may cost us 6mill and 40k per week so the extra 3mill which would have been used on Vaughan can go to the Foster package

and it was only paper talk about Boetang nothing more

Northfield-Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »
Don't forget the Valero money too.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

The Boateng talk was just that, talk. There was never anything in it. Where do you think the extra money was going to come from for the extra £3m+ on the fee for Foster?

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
Don't forget the Valero money too.

The Valero money will most likely have been accounted for.

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
Anyone heard that we have had a £5 million bid plus Ishmael Miller rejected by blues for Foster.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:37:29 PM by tucka9 »

Mulumbu99

« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
Anyone heard that we have had a £5 million bid plus Ishmael Miller rejected by bues for Foster.

there's loads of rumours going around. latest i've heard is 12m + miller + myhill + mozza for foster & johnson

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:52 PM »
I doubt it to be honest, part exchanges usually signify them being made up. How many players do you see sell for part exchange at all, let alone us. Its something that happens very rarely but is heavily rumoured a lot.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
What gets me is - are we really having a press conference to unveil 2 freebie chamionship players who signed a month ago??? - OK if we were Hereford United but.........