Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 767350 times)

DudleyDan

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
I personally don't think Foster is any better than Carson was....

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
According to a Blues fan Foster has got a donated Achilles tendon in his knee where his anterior cruciate ligament should be. I can't see us spending £6-8 million on a player like that.

NHSBT The Donor magazine, summer 2010 edition, page 11

www.blood.co.uk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:33:26 AM by JDWest_Brom »
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »

Must people insist on saying this about EVERY keeper we are linked too?

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
Ben plays on thanks to tissue donor

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster, who recently moved to Birmingham City, was faced with a career-ending injury after he ruptured a knee ligament. It was the second time he’d damaged his anterior cruciate ligament, and to have a chance of saving his career he needed a new tendon to repair the injury.

Tendons are often preferred to ligaments as they are stronger. Now thanks to the generosity of a tissue donor, Ben has received an Achilles tendon, helping him back to full fitness. “Without the donated tendon for my knee, my playing career may not have lasted this long,” says Ben. “Thanks to the kindness of my donor, I’ve been able to get back to playing Premier League football again, and had the honour of being called up to play for England. It’s all thanks to the skill of the surgeon, the help from NHSBT in providing me with the tendon, and to the donor. Without the decision to donate this would never have been possible.”
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
According to a Blues fan Foster has got a donated Achilles tendon in his knee where his anterior cruciate ligament should be. I can't see us spending £6-8 million on a player like that.

NHSBT The Donor magazine, summer 2010 edition, page 11

www.blood.co.uk
I doubt it's a major problem and I'd be surprised if it's that uncommon either. A lot of their fans seem to be quite bitter he's leaving doing what most fans do when they lose a player - finding an excuse to make it look like they don't want him anyway or he's carp or whatever. They claim he's a cripple, but as one of their fans pointed out - how many games did he miss last season?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »
I'd take him, however, if Blues are expecting some high figure fee from us then I'd be very surprised. In my opinion, If I was Peace, Hodgson or Ashworth I'd use some of the deadwood sort of speak to lower the Blues asking price. Meaning, I'd offer something like £3million, with Joe Mattock, Ishmael Miler and Luke Daniels going the other way perhaps? I'm sure those three would help benefit Blues.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »

when its true yeah, the only keeper we have been linked with so far better than carson IMO is given, and thats a no go
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
I've got a strong feeling this ain't just an "interest" in my opinion, think it's way further down the line then that.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2011, 11:41:28 AM »
when its true yeah, the only keeper we have been linked with so far better than carson IMO is given, and thats a no go

I doubt there is a single neutral fan in the country who doesn't rate Foster ahead of Carson. He's by far and away the best English keeper going after Hart.

If people are actually expecting better than Foster then it would seem these people have completely unrealistic expectations.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:43:21 AM by Dan »

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2011, 11:44:07 AM »
I doubt there is a single neutral fan in the country who doesn't rate Foster ahead of Carson. He's by far and away the best English keeper going after Hart.

If people are actually expecting better than Foster then it would seem these people have completely unrealistic expectations.

I'm inclined to agree, as much as I liked Carson, Foster is a big step forward for us. Some people will never be happy though.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »
I'm not expecting better than Foster, I just think he's the wrong choice and a bad use of funds if we have to pay over £4 million.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
I still think we'll end up with the P. I. G.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
CL tweet
@DeanHarvey91 Nothing's happening with Foster. He's a player they've targeted. Gera will be signed once his ankle problem clears up
TweetDeck • 08/07/2011 11:49
 in reply to…
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
WBA Mad say we are going to unveil Gera AND Foster in a press conference this afternoon!

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/albion_set_to_unveil_foster_and_gera_685536/index.shtml
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
CL tweet
@DeanHarvey91 Nothing's happening with Foster. He's a player they've targeted. Gera will be signed once his ankle problem clears up
TweetDeck • 08/07/2011 11:49
 in reply to…

Chris Lepkowski has been wrong before and the club are only going to tell him what they want him to know, so it could be a bit further down the line than is being revealed at the moment.

I would be surprised if we signed Ben Foster, as I would have thought other clubs with more money would be able to offer Birmingham City a larger transfer fee and Foster himself more lucrative personal terms.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:18:42 PM by Sussex-Baggie »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »
Id like to see us sign Foster but it mainly depends on their asking price and how much we have set aside for a new keeper.

Sussex-Baggie

« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
WBA Mad say we are going to unveil Gera AND Foster in a press conference this afternoon!

http://www.westbromwichalbion-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/albion_set_to_unveil_foster_and_gera_685536/index.shtml

Zoltan Gera won't be unveiled due to his injury, and I would be surprised if we signed Ben Foster just a few hours after we were linked with him from a reputable source!

I have seen rumours like this doing the rounds on various Albion sites this morning, but it seems as though the press conference this afternoon is to unveil Gareth McAuley and Billy Jones.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
the blues are going to want 6m back just to cover what they paid for him!
and maybe abit more on top so you could be looking at 8-10m unless we could offer them the likes of a miller mattock myhill etc might bring price down!

ultimately we are not going to get a good keeper for free or for peanuts.

sopeculate to accumulate depends if we as a club see it as viable to spend this much on a keeper
O Albion we love you

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »

That is the problem with people running sites like this that make assumptions, seems they probably saw the tweet from CL this morning about a press conference for two new signings and simply guessed who it would be. They aren't journalists so should stick to rehashing what has been printed elsewhere and not let themselves get carried away like that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:19:25 PM by B_H_Baggie »

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
WBA Mad are going to have some egg on their faces, not surprised there sites are usually empty when they just assume stuff like that.

Ogwani

« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:37 PM »
It's an assumption yeah, I made the same one in fairness but they shouldn't post it as if fact. Saying that I wish it were a fact...

DudleyDan

« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2011, 12:24:45 PM »

It is true. Why let Carson go for just over a million and then buy Foster for £6m.

Foster is no way 6 times the goalkeeper that Carson is. They're about the same IMO - good shot stoppers but susceptible everywhere else.

Ogwani

« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »
It is true. Why let Carson go for just over a million and then buy Foster for £6m.

Foster is no way 6 times the goalkeeper that Carson is. They're about the same IMO - good shot stoppers but susceptible everywhere else.

I can't agree with that  :o Football transfer fees do not work like that and Foster was Blues' player of the season and fan's goal keeper of the season over Joe Hart. Foster saved Blues a disgusting number of points last season!

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »
If this tranfer fee goes through (which I think is highly unlikely) I can see it being a year long loan tied in to a permanent deal at the end, like we do when we get rid of players. Probably with a clause in it on our side that if he get's injured we don't have to sign him after a year. With the fee being undisclosed as per usual. Maybe like people have suggested with a player or two going the opposite way.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:46:10 PM by JDWest_Brom »
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

hes a far better keeper!
hence why he is going to cost someone be it Albion or any other club alot of money!
O Albion we love you