Author Topic: Gareth Barry retires  (Read 188350 times)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Gareth Barry
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2017, 03:27:01 PM »
Show's how far we have come since Sir Gary Megson started us on this journey.
We could never have dreamed of having players like Barry, Evans, Foster etc and players like Anelka, Fl;etcher, shows how far we have come and the players you can attratct once you are established in the top flight.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
Apparently TalkSport are discussing the Gareth Barry thing from around 6pm tonight. Enjoy ;)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »
Apparently TalkSport are discussing the Gareth Barry thing from around 6pm tonight. Enjoy ;)

is he all that Durham just said
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2017, 04:10:18 PM »
Have to say I'm very underwhelmed with this if it does go through.

Yes he's been a good player but he is barely an upgrade on what we have now and he will only be in decline from here on in.

Fits the bill though as he is cheap (Williams/Lai) and has PL experience (Pulis).

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Have to say I'm very underwhelmed with this if it does go through.

Yes he's been a good player but he is barely an upgrade on what we have now and he will only be in decline from here on in.

Fits the bill though as he is cheap (Williams/Lai) and has PL experience (Pulis).

Sick of reading about our owner and chairman going for cheap options. Theres no logic or sense to such comments. Lai sanctioned our current transfer record buy before he was even announced as the new owner. Barry is a improvement on Fletcher and will be a good signing not to mention this deal frees up funds to be used elsewhere like at center back and up front. Koeman wanted to keep Barry another poster has already shared the Liverpool Echo article where its quite clear how valuable they regard him. If that isnt enough take a moment to look at Evertons forums they are laughing at our fan bases arrogance. They would gladly keep him until the day he retires. Its such a crying shame but the club cant win. People call for them to sign then when news comes out they say "oh no not him" they cant win.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »

Sick of reading about our owner and chairman going for cheap options. Theres no logic or sense to such comments. Lai sanctioned our current transfer record buy before he was even announced as the new owner. Barry is a improvement on Fletcher and will be a good signing not to mention this deal frees up funds to be used elsewhere like at center back and up front. Koeman wanted to keep Barry another poster has already shared the Liverpool Echo article where its quite clear how valuable they regard him. If that isnt enough take a moment to look at Evertons forums they are laughing at our fan bases arrogance. They would gladly keep him until the day he retires. Its such a crying shame but the club cant win. People call for them to sign then when news comes out they say "oh no not him" they cant win.

Pathetic ain't it.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »

Spot on 38
MAGA!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
Great post baggie38, also FFP seems to be effecting us in regards to spending big money so we need to make sure we are clever with our spending.
the regime don't like it man

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
Pathetic ain't it.

Sick and tired of it mate its on here but its mainly the muppets on Twitter who are guilty of it

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
Sick and tired of it mate its on here but its mainly the muppets on Twitter who are guilty of it

They usually follow it up with 'oh the atmosphere is going to be toxic' after spreading utter garbage and unfounded opinions. I know there's an unwritten rule on here about not questioning people's support but sometimes you wonder what these folk get out of constant negativity.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »
take a moment to look at Evertons forums they are laughing at our fan bases arrogance. They would gladly keep him until the day he retires.

I wonder if they would be so glad to keep him in the 1st team until the day he retires? I'm sure they'd love him to hang around as a bit part player to use if and when required as a reliable professional. It's a different thing to be in the 1st team week in week out though, and why else would he be moving here if he didn't expect to get that? Let's be fair.

Personally, I think he might be worth a crack for a season, but I think it would be a huge risk of funds to offer him a 2 year contract.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2017, 04:48:56 PM »
I wonder if they would be so glad to keep him in the 1st team until the day he retires? I'm sure they'd love him to hang around as a bit part player to use if and when required as a reliable professional. It's a different thing to be in the 1st team week in week out though, and why else would he be moving here if he didn't expect to get that? Let's be fair.

Personally, I think he might be worth a crack for a season, but I think it would be a huge risk of funds to offer him a 2 year contract.

A huge risk of funds? Significantly less risk than signing Carvalho for £30m+ and hoping it works out. I agree that a year with an option is best, but this is incredibly low risk.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
I'm still of the belief Carvalho was never a realistic option this summer. If ever.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »

Yes 38, 100%.... I have to say, the attitude of some of our supporters on here is ridiculous. Barry for 1m + wages is far better business than Zouma for 8m loan fee + wages. The club doesn't get enough credit for the way we refuse to be held hostage in this extortionate market.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »

But Everton have a far better midfield than ours and are in the top 6, so it's similar to when Evans left Man Utd. A lot of their fans still wanted him and recognised his qualities, even if he was considered a fringe player at that point.
From what I've read/seen he will be an improvement on Fletcher, of course only time will tell. I know from memory when we played them last season he was dominant against us, despite the age. With regards to his contract, it may be a 1+1 which would also benefit us if he did flop.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
A huge risk of funds? Significantly less risk than signing Carvalho for £30m+ and hoping it works out. I agree that a year with an option is best, but this is incredibly low risk.

OK, to be fair "huge risk" was a bit over the top. I would strongly suggest that a 1 year contract would be most preferable ;)

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
I think this is a good signing, Barry is a good player and can still play football he has never been the quickest so ain't lost a big part of his game as he has got older.
He also can give a wealth of knowledge to the lads coming through if they don't go out on loan, which is also a good reason to sign the man!
I'm all for it for a year no probs then see how his fitness is and go from there!
I can't see it being a bad signing!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »
Wonder if this will be confirmed today?

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:45 PM »
I think Barry will prove great value. Good signing if it happens.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
Will also help with the transition of our young midfielders into regular starters, quite a smart bit of business really.
Baggie in Southampton

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Great professional to have about the place to boot, a straight 2 year deal would work for me even if the legs started going next season as id like to think he might wanna go into coaching?

Barry will look a lot better in the albion side aswell, as we play very deep.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
I'm still of the belief Carvalho was never a realistic option this summer. If ever.

He wasn't as it's been mentioned by several people that Pulis pulled the plug on this deal a while ago
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
We should be looking at better than Barry for such and important position. Field can pass sideways and backwards.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
We should be looking at better than Barry for such and important position. Field can pass sideways and backwards.

If there was a facepalm gif on this forum i would of used it in responsce to that post.