Author Topic: Conor Townsend  (Read 92911 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Conor Townsend
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
Sure, there's always going to be world class, smaller players - but that's a biased argument, and these days most aren't - for instance, when was the last quality wing-back at under 5'6 - I assume there's been none in the past 20+ years that I can think of? (and Ashley Cole had 4"s on him which is quite a big difference - we're going from the realms of small to freakishly small)

The general rule in football is that if you're 5'6 then height will be an issue - if he wasn't linked with West Brom then we may be less generous with our opinions on him, but realistically it probably will be an issue. Obviously stuff like positioning and jump are important but sometimes raw height will win, as seen with various, big strikers who lack technique but get by with height and power/muscle. I.e. there will be times as a defender when he has to challenge a header, is he ever going to beat a regular 6'2 striker in the air for instance?

Don't get me wrong, if he does sign I wish him the best, but it's definitely going to be in the back of peoples minds whenever he plays.

stubba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »
Derek Statham best left back ever!!  :-[ :P absolutely brilliant

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »
Wasn't the greatest left back ever at WBA only 5'6"?
And I don't mean Graham Williams,
You guys know exactly who I mean don't you?

Nicky Shorey I presume?

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
Sure, there's always going to be world class, smaller players - but that's a biased argument, and these days most aren't - for instance, when was the last quality wing-back at under 5'6 - I assume there's been none in the past 20+ years that I can think of? (and Ashley Cole had 4"s on him which is quite a big difference - we're going from the realms of small to freakishly small)

The general rule in football is that if you're 5'6 then height will be an issue - if he wasn't linked with West Brom then we may be less generous with our opinions on him, but realistically it probably will be an issue. Obviously stuff like positioning and jump are important but sometimes raw height will win, as seen with various, big strikers who lack technique but get by with height and power/muscle. I.e. there will be times as a defender when he has to challenge a header, is he ever going to beat a regular 6'2 striker in the air for instance?

Don't get me wrong, if he does sign I wish him the best, but it's definitely going to be in the back of peoples minds whenever he plays.

Fabio Cannavaro managed to win the best player in the world award being a 5ft 9in CB. I don't expect Townsend to ever reach those heights so if you're going to be subjective then being a 5ft 6in FB in The Championship isn't the end of the world.

Alan Wright of Villa was 5ft 4in and carved out a very good career for himself.
At present Dani Alves 5ft 7in and Jordi Alba 5ft 7in.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Ripon North Yorks

I meant the club he started at and ultimately returned to.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »
I wouldn't get too hung up on Townsend's lack of stature if the opposition decide to target him by launching high balls into the box then great because that is just going to gift possession back to us and stop them sustaining attacks through multiple phases of play which are the thing that grinds defences down.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »
I wouldn't get too hung up on Townsend's lack of stature if the opposition decide to target him by launching high balls into the box then great because that is just going to gift possession back to us and stop them sustaining attacks through multiple phases of play which are the thing that grinds defences down.   

Good to know, dare say we'll get to test that theory on August 28th versus Middlesbrough when they launch diagonal balls to isolate the full backs from our centre halves.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 12:01:45 AM »
Good to know, dare say we'll get to test that theory on August 28th versus Middlesbrough when they launch diagonal balls to isolate the full backs from our centre halves.

And why do I know it is a largely ineffective tactic? Because that was his game plan most weeks while he was at the Albion and it largely didn't work.  8)
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 12:31:02 AM »
And why do I know it is a largely ineffective tactic? Because that was his game plan most weeks while he was at the Albion and it largely didn't work.  8)

It worked to a degree it was just pooh to watch

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 12:33:48 AM »
Chester struggled because he wasn't a full back. If you're 6ft 4in does that make you better equipped to play FB than someone who is 5ft 6in?

Ashley Cole is the best full back I have seen. He was 5ft 9in and THAT perfomance against Ronaldo was against someone who dwarfed him physically. All about ability in my opinion.
Very close between Statham and Cole both brilliant footballers, I was lucky enough to see both of them play but if I had to choose it would have to be Statham simply because he was a Baggie!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »

It's also a tactic for a good number of clubs throughout the leagues for whom it does work, including the Prem' and the Championship.

Don't ask me to list them as there are too many, but it happened against us several times last season when both TP and AP were in charge.

It also happened on a number of occasions prior to both appointments.

It's fairly rudimentary, entirely predictable and yet still effective.

Many teams use it as and when when required.

If TP sees a short backside full back you can bet he'll be all over it.

Whether it works or not will be down to decent delivery and the spacial awareness of our defence, something which has been sadly lacking from Bartley's play in his admittedly limited appearances for us thus far.

See Aberdeen's goal and both of Barnsley's for evidence of the latter. (Ed: ie spacial awareness)

(Double Ed:
I'm referring to the diagonal ball which splits full back and centre half as originally stated, as opposed to a long ball hump which I believe you alluded to).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 01:06:42 AM by SmethDan »

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 08:17:40 AM »
So, the signing is not true then?  ;D
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
Express and star reporting that its happening

B714LF

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:46 AM »
Danny Rose is 5f 8in

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
Scunthorpe have just confirmed Jackson from Manchester United on loan for the season. Sounds like Townsend is ours.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:07 AM »
All players have strengths and weaknesses, Townsends weakness would appear to be his height which to be fair, all the coaching in the world, he cant do much about!

I would also imagine assuming he signs, the day he walks through the door, when they see he is 5ft 6", it wont be a massive shock, they will be fully aware of this!

We appear to have good coaches at the club and any decent coach will know that him being isolated / outjumped on the back post is a potential issue and you would hope they will put plans in place to counter that.

Communication will be a big thing as i would imagine the two centre halves will take responsibility especially the left sided one, after we conceded a few goals this way last season with Gibbs being targeted at the back post i would imagine Big Dave and the crew have been working on that.

I know nothing about Townsend except from reading social media that Scunthorpe fans seems really gutted he is going which is a good sign.

I know paying a small fee for a left back from Scunthorpe isnt a glamour signing but he is a good age, he should only improve, and i would rather sign somebody like that than a player coming for his last big payday, in recent years our better signings tend to be the ones we know little about.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
I actually get quite excited about the prospect of signing somebody like this. One of the best players in the league above so in my eyes has earned his shot at the level above.

Welcome to the club Conor.

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »
Good age, sounds like he has "legs" has been in a successful / winning side, whats not to like.

Welcome to the Baggies Conor

Much rather have signings of this ilk than overage, overpaid journeymen
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
If he is back up to Gibbs, rather than a replacement, then you can't complain. Scunthorpe fans really rate him and qere bemused when he was dropped from the team half way thriugh last season. Has been one of their better players and so should give us a good back up alternative should Gibbs get injured.

Hope we do start looking a bit further afield for the last couple of signings though.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
Welcome aboard the good ship Albion, Conor!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
I'm happy with this signing, he likes to get forward and is good at taking set pieces - there are a couple of Youtube videos of him scoring from free-kicks.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Seems to fit the statement from DM about signing players from the Championship or lower divisions who are talented, the right age and have the right attitude. Also another option for left foot delivery from set pieces when Brunt isn't in the team....and as we know Brunt's corners are effective but he scores from direct free kicks once in a blue moon.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
I'm happy with this signing, he likes to get forward and is good at taking set pieces - there are a couple of Youtube videos of him scoring from free-kicks.

Did you see the one at the near post?

Scandalous goal  ;D .

Anyway, welcome to the Albion Conor, and don't forget your step ladder  ;) .

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Conor Townsend Joins Albion
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
Best LB in L1 according to Gary mcsheffery who played together