Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 418319 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #1900 on: March 28, 2021, 05:51:29 PM »
India win by 7 runs.  Great game of cricket.

Unlucky Sam Curran - bloody good effort
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1901 on: March 28, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »
Very very good viewing! Far better than the football!

Didn't see us taking it to the penultimate ball.

Really enjoyable tour of India, may have lost all types of the game but it ebbed and flowed and was great viewing.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1902 on: April 06, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »
As there is a busy weekend of sport coming up, you would be forgiven for missing out on the fact this weekend is the start of the County Championship.

As I don't follow a county side, I struggle to have any interest with the domestic long form of the game, but with it being an Ashes year there is always the chance to keep an eye on a few players who could be later additions to the side over both this summer and then the  winter.

https://www.insideedgecricket.co.uk/

I've pasted a link for those who are interested to a website that a few weeks ago did a preview of each team, crucially telling you who to watch out for.

The main 4 i'm really interested in are:

Bowling - Amar Virdi (Surrey). Right arm off spinner who travelled to Sri Lanka this winter. Only 22 but arguably the most likely spin bowler to take advantage of Dom Bess's struggles (with Matt Parkinson being a leggie I expect him to get pushed towards the short forms of the game). Fingers crossed he has a great year.

Batting - Tom Lammonby (Somerset). The 20 year old seems to be considered the hottest prospect in county cricket. In his debut season, he averaged just under 52.00 and scored 3 centuries in just 6 matches (including in the Bob Willis troohey final which replaced the County Championship last season), while scoring another century last weekend in the final pre season warm up. An opening batsmen in the long form of the game, a strong season this year and more top order woes for England could see him make an early test debut. Even more impressive - Lammonby is actually an all rounder in twenty/20 cricket. Sadly, he is yet another leftie.

Dan Mousley (Warwickshire). 19 year old batsmen who is expected to cement his place in Warks first team this year. England age grade captain who features in a lot of the pre tournament previews "ones to watch" lists, my interest in him really boils down to the fact I saw him play live a couple of years ago when I spent a couple of hours at the old M and B ground in Bearwood for a Bears vs Pears second XI game.

Long shot - Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire). Burst onto the scene Tom Lammonby style a few years ago for Lancashire and I believe he has the second highest test cricket average of any current (available) English cricketer after his brilliant tour of India a few years ago. Had a really tough few years and ended up being released by Lancs,  only to be picked up by Nottinghamshire. He is still only 24 but probably needs to have a big season this year If he is going to realise his potential.

The country championship is a poor standard (the best batsmen last year was the ancient Sir Alastair Cook and you only have to see how different Dom Sibley looks in the domestic season compared to test cricket), but it's all we have so worth keeping an eye on the odd player.
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1903 on: April 06, 2021, 11:09:54 PM »
Hameed has been made Vice Captain at Notts, who seem to have changed a few of their personnel.

Edited as apparently I don't proof read my own posts
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:56:49 PM by MarkW »

He/him

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1904 on: April 17, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »
So, that “Lammonby maybe for England” talk. Across his first 4 innings of the season, he has averaged just over 1 run an innings, with scores of 5, 0, 0, 0. First season playing on the early green pitches and he has struggled. Looks like he will need a few years after all.

At least Ollie Pope got a double hundred.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1905 on: April 18, 2021, 12:41:42 AM »
So, that “Lammonby maybe for England” talk. Across his first 4 innings of the season, he has averaged just over 1 run an innings, with scores of 5, 0, 0, 0. First season playing on the early green pitches and he has struggled. Looks like he will need a few years after all.

At least Ollie Pope got a double hundred.

I was waiting a couple more weeks before bringing this up with you  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1906 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46:47 AM »
I've been more and more deflated each innings I check in on. I hope he shows a bit of character with a big score soon else he probably loses his place (short term).

On the brightside, Hameed did score a half century and Virdi is doing well despite it not being spinner friendly this time of the year.

There have been some huge scores though, Ben Foakes is playing well and a young Welsh lad scored centuries on both innings for Glamorgan this weekend.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1907 on: April 18, 2021, 08:05:02 AM »
I've been more and more deflated each innings I check in on. I hope he shows a bit of character with a big score soon else he probably loses his place (short term).

On the brightside, Hameed did score a half century and Virdi is doing well despite it not being spinner friendly this time of the year.

There have been some huge scores though, Ben Foakes is playing well and a young Welsh lad scored centuries on both innings for Glamorgan this weekend.
Yes that makes a change. Kiran Carlson has looked a good player for a couple of years while juggling cricket and studies. Hopefully could be a breakthrough season for him.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1908 on: April 18, 2021, 04:00:32 PM »
Tea at Trent Bridge - Warwickshire need 96 to win three wickets remaining - Dom Sibley hadn’t batted due to a fractured finger.

Hameed and Clarke were excellent in the second innings. As always, Sam Hain has been a mainstay for the bears.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1909 on: April 18, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
Warwickshire win by three wickets. I would never have predicted that when Notts posted 333 to win..  ;D

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1910 on: April 18, 2021, 07:14:47 PM »
Warwickshire win by three wickets. I would never have predicted that when Notts posted 333 to win..  ;D

Watched about the last 10 overs as it looked interesting, Broady bowling for Notts.

Worcestershire managed to hold on for a draw against Derbyshire, finished second innings 8 wickets down. Derbyshire probably should have declared earlier

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1911 on: April 19, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »
Joe Clarke dropped Tim Bresnan off Broad just after Olly Stone had gone.

With Sibbers and OHD I’d have backed Notts from there.

They’ve a strong team on paper but seemingly cannot win a game

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1912 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
Joe Clarke dropped Tim Bresnan off Broad just after Olly Stone had gone.

With Sibbers and OHD I’d have backed Notts from there.

They’ve a strong team on paper but seemingly cannot win a game

Very much this. I follow Notts as I live a stone's throw from Trent Bridge, and it seems they have assembled a very competitive squad on paper, it just hasn't clicked yet.

He/him

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1913 on: April 20, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »
Ed Smith has been sacked - new structure put in place with Chris Silverwood in overall charge of selection.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1914 on: April 20, 2021, 07:59:00 PM »
Ed Smith has been sacked - new structure put in place with Chris Silverwood in overall charge of selection.
Hard to get away from a cost cutting element here. Silverwood is a busy man. James Taylor as 'head scout' may effectively be taking over the head of selectors role but on a lot less. Wonder who the other scouts are ? Maybe the head coaches of the counties.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1915 on: April 21, 2021, 07:41:56 AM »

Although I'm not a cricket fan I do occasionally open this thread. On those occasions England have generally either been very good or very poor.

Here's hoping the above proves good news for you cricket lovers by bringing about a much more consistent and enjoyable English cricketing very good outcome.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1916 on: April 21, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
Although I'm not a cricket fan I do occasionally open this thread. On those occasions England have generally either been very good or very poor.

Here's hoping the above proves good news for you cricket lovers by bringing about a much more consistent and enjoyable English cricketing very good outcome.
It's about time they called Jacko up to the England team
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1917 on: April 21, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
Hard to get away from a cost cutting element here. Silverwood is a busy man. James Taylor as 'head scout' may effectively be taking over the head of selectors role but on a lot less. Wonder who the other scouts are ? Maybe the head coaches of the counties.

I read that it was Taylor and Mo Bobat who will oversee the main scouting roles.

Smith oversaw a modernising of the scouting system and pursued a reliance on statistics. This will continue to feed to Silverwood with Taylor and Bobat as foot soldiers.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1918 on: April 21, 2021, 08:08:50 AM »
It's about time they called Jacko up to the England team

Impressive stats  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1919 on: April 21, 2021, 12:06:20 PM »
Impressive stats  ;D .

They will be in no doubt about where they have been going wrong ! ;-)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1920 on: April 22, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
Worcestershire are flying along this morning - 122-0 at Lunch against Notts. MarkW might be throwing those stones at Trent Bridge as we speak  :D

Warwickshire currently have Essex at 81-3. Cook was the top scorer so far falling for 46. Tom Westley and Dan Lawrence have made 9 between them.

The Warwickshire live stream is frustrating as it only focuses on the stumps so I cannot comment on any of the catches or boundaries during the game. I've got a cracking view of the umpire though.  :D

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1921 on: April 22, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »
Hahaha, it's such a lovely day here. Perfect for batting.  Will be interesting to see how the County Championship team do, as the white ball team is very good

He/him

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1922 on: April 22, 2021, 07:44:52 PM »
Massive collapse from Essex this afternoon - they went from 186-4 to being bowled out for 295. Oliver Hannon-Dalby and Olly Stone with 4fers. Bears unbeaten overnight.

I have no meetings tomorrow so will be taking in some of the cricket. Even if it is one camera angle.  :D

Worcester finished up 305-7 at stumps

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1923 on: April 22, 2021, 08:19:13 PM »
Decent recovery in the end from Worcestershire; went from about 140-0 to 220-7! Then finish on 305-7

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1924 on: April 24, 2021, 08:52:20 PM »
So after 5 single figure innings, 20 year old Tom Lammonby finally got among the runs with a quick fire 70 not out to see Somerset CCC to victory. Hopefully he can use this as the start point for a few more decent scores in the coming weeks. His opening partner Tom Blanton might need moving down the order though.

In even better news, Haseeb Hameed has followed up his half century from last week with his first century for Nottinghamshire, scoring 111. He is currently leading their line again in the second innings, 37 not out, aiming to avoid defeat to Worcs. It would be great if he could keep this going and have the sort of season that puts him back in England contention.
Boing Boing